We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Good Wife Community
CBS (ended 2016)

The Good Wife S05E04: "Outside the Bubble"

It's terrible to describe an episode that included a sexual harassment/hostile work environment lawsuit as "the fun before the storm," but that's pretty much what "Outside the Bubble" was. We got Elsbeth, we got Elsbeth on a treadmill desk, we got Viola, we got Kurt, we got Diane shooting guns, we got Diane and Kurt getting married, we got an all-too-brief Sonja Sohn appearance, and we got Diane figuring out that Alicia is leaving because of a file snafu and Sonja Sohn blabbing, but mostly because Alicia stopped decorating her office.

David Lee is going to kick himself for missing that very obvious detail. Then again, the reason Diane was able to piece it together was that, as her office was being stripped bare, she just couldn't help but notice that Alicia had yet to finish furnishing hers with new carpeting and modern art. It's such a great idea to use something that's been staring them—and us—in the face since the season began as the ultimate tip-off about the departure. Alicia accessing Diane's client files could've been explained away with ease, thanks to the potential of Will using Alicia to keep tabs on Diane's clients, but nope. In that moment, flimsy excuses about an error and files basically just boiled down to Alicia's a crap liar.

And that big-eyed stare that Diane gave Alicia right at the end! So much shock and betrayal expressed in just one deafeningly silent look. I've often felt that Alicia and Diane's connection to one another isn't as strong as it should be, especially after the show gestured toward a blossoming mentorship between the two during the whole Caitlin thing in Season 3 and then it never fully paid off, but that doesn't negate how Diane felt about this. Although she's of course putting aside the fact that she totally threw Will under the bus last week to secure her State Supreme Court nomination; she should hardly be one to be dismayed and indignant about treacherous behavior for professional gain.

Overall, though, Diane was pretty busy this week. In addition to the law firm plot, Kurt was back, and on the eve of the nuptials! The nature of their relationship, and whether or not it survived, isn't of too much consequence to me, though I do like the two of them together, and I adore watching Christine Baranski and Gary Cole's screwball-esque flirting. So the dramatics of Diane's intolerant-but-well-meaning liberal interventionist friends and Diane's jealousy over Kurt's buddies being a trio of female twenty-somethings from his ballistics classes made for good character work and balanced out the episode nicely. However, sort of like with Will's non-Alicia dalliances, I'm just not particularly invested in how they play out... even if I did let out a small sign of relief when Diane showed up at the city hall marriage, complete with that kickass dragonfly pin of hers.

The legal case was about as light as you could get, given the subject matter. Indeed, much of it felt like an Ally McBeal-esque plot, though instead of Kalinda discussing how much Chrissy like-liked her, Chrissy would've ended up in a compromising position in a unisex bathroom stall while Elaine took pictures. Bygones. Howard's pantsless and underwearless naps aside—but seriously, who does that?—"Outside the Bubble" did highlight the casual nature in which sex is used in a variety of ways, and how it can influence a professional environment. This aspect of the episode might've landed a bit better had the lawsuit not been largely frivolous, since it seemed more like Chrissy had simply gotten fed up with being disrespected, dehumanized, and mistreated as a paralegal (no one knew her name but Alicia). She was merely looking for some vengeance, and found Viola in the mood to stir up some trouble for the firm as Diane was leaving. It also didn't help that Chrissy increasingly became a non-entity in that story, with Rita Wilson and Carrie Preston getting all the juicy bits.

Over at the governor's office, Jackie resurfaced to engage in yet another turf war with Eli. I'm so over these sort of plots between the two of them, even though I do enjoy watching them snipe at each other. There's not anything really all that new or fresh about it at this point, apart from Eli participating in a seniors' jazzercise class, which was amusing. Somehow, Jackie's activities here could come back to haunt them, but between the lingering issue of the stuffed ballot boxes and Peter being tempted by Marilyn's presence—I loved how he ran to Alicia last week in a rush to renew their vows after he flirted with Marilyn over Dan Brown (oy vey)—there are significantly more pressing concerns at hand than where Peter's portrait is hanging.

All of that will have to wait, though, since next week everything hits the fan.

SIDEBAR

– Sorry about no review last week. I was on vacation, and the hour-longs just weren't possible to get in on time. It was a really good episode, though, yeah?

– Real talk: They need to fire Howard. As amusing as he is, he's a lawsuit waiting to happen, "It's like McCarthyism all over again." You can bring back Julius Cain! I'm not giving up on you, Julius!

– I sometimes wonder if Cary and Alicia regret taking the fourth-years with them. I only say this because they've proven themselves to be totally and completely inept at every single turn of this covert departure.

– "I keep asking questions until they make sense." I love how Alicia and Will just roll with Elsbeth now. Then she made David Lee a fan, which I also loved.

– "I wish my hair would behave. It just flops."

– "They show clips on Jon Stewart!" Pretty much sums up many a lefty's perception of things sometimes.

– "That was weird, wasn't it?" "Talking about two years ago? Yeah, that'll be on my mind for the rest of the day." "Just the rest of the day?" Hang onto that line for next week, folks.

What'd you think of "Outside the Bubble"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/24/2016

Season 7 : Episode 20

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/1/2016

Season 7 : Episode 21

109 Comments
Comments (109)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So, I guess it's going to be harder now for Will to sit on that box he buried in the last episode of last season. You know the one that proved that the box of votes came from the Florrick party. It's going to be interesting how he plays that.
Flag
Great review for a great episode... the wait is killing me though... That was one of the meanest cliffhangers ever and if networks were smart they'd find a way to monetise on the thrill built... I for one would now pay up to say... $5 to watch the next episode now... I loved to see a Diane-centric ep with getting married though I found Kurt's choice of friends odd and borderline implausible but OK, Kurt's odd, fine.

I feel bad for Alicia cause although she's teaming up with Cary who is AWESOME, among the other 4th year assocs there are a few rats, like the guy who got busted and then blackmailed his future business partners... Nice... But now that she's been found out & with all the money she's put in, Alicia can't go back...

The case of the week had a serious angle that sadly was not explored (not sure that'd be possible) ie how frivolous claims like this one damage the very real harassment situations that many women, specially young, some men too face in certain work environments. People like Chrissy (who sued just for the bucks I think though the unfriendly partners did not help) give sexual harassment protection legislation a bad name.
More+
Flag
Great review as always!!! Diane Lockhart rules my heart!! She might go from my thrid favorite character to my second favorite character! LOL
Flag
Elsbeth perfect as always. Hope they give her another part this season.

Can't wait for next week. Feels like I'm waiting for a season finale, not episode 5 of 20+
Flag
very true! this is an exciting season :)
Flag
Good episode for a nice show. Loved it.
Flag
I just watched next week's promo... something tells me that I might even shed a tear for my darling Will!

Diane, sure wanted to make ammends for throwing Will under the bus. not that she wouldn't have told him if that "little thing" hadn't happened, but now she felt even more obliged to warn him.

I honestly hated Diane's friends! They're both very much into politics, I get that, but it is certainly no reason for them to break it off!

Elsbeth must become a regular! I can't get enough of her!

I can't say that Jackie's scenes were my favourites but I did smile because I love Eli! :D

I had commented again in one of the last episodes of Season #3 and I was sure that Peter only wanted to renew their vows because he felt that he might lose her... and I was, and am, right! We've all seen the looks! The man will not be able to resist in the end! And if he does resist, it doesn't mean that he doesn't want to indulge! After everything he's done to Alicia, he still can't, really, commit to her! He does love her but it is simply not enough for him. And I believe that he only makes these moves with Alicia because he is too selfish to let her go *and* because he needs to keep up the appeareances of a steady family life for his political career!

The one my heart trully aches for, is Will! Hardly did he have a chance to celebrate coming back from his suspension and Alicia tells him that she is going to renew her vows to Peter, the whole ballot thing happens and he doesn't say a word, Diane betrays his trust and leaves the firm and now he's going to have to face Alicia's treason as well? This is definitely not a good year for him! And I really really really hope that the bridges between him and Alicia are not burnt to the ground... :'(
More+
Flag
Actually it would be really fun to see Will push to the wall. We have not seen that in him I think in all of the seasons. Even when he faces suspension, he was mostly calm. I think he might turn very nasty and I really hope the writers would really explore the character instead of doing something mild again.
Flag
That's an interesting point! We shall see! ;)
Flag
  • "she should hardly be one to be dismayed and indignant about treacherous behavior for professional gain." <---- I'm not completely sure that she is. Yes, I think she feels betrayed by Alicia, but the situation can help her. If Alicia's gone, making Diane leave as well further damages the firm. By telling Will, she may have bought her way back in by erasing the ugliness of her own act of betrayal.
  • "I sometimes wonder if Cary and Alicia regret taking the fourth-years with them. I only say this because they've proven themselves to be totally and completely inept at every single turn of this covert departure." <--- I was wondering the exact same thing.
  • Elsbeth Tascioni!!! I just love saying her name! And she is by far my favorite recurring character.
Flag
Christine Baranski was amazing as usual. Those last few scenes. Wow. I hope she doesn't become less important to the story if she does actually become a judge.
Flag
First, yay!! TGW Episode review, hope you had a nice vacay, and next week is going to be SO GOOD!!! Can't wait. Anyway yes, Howard needs to be removed ASAP. This week episode was amazing in the amount of things it accomplished, Christine Baranski is perfect! The look Diane gave Alicia was, full of "fire", OMG I'm so excited for next week.
Elsbeth is always entertaining, this time though not so much but I believe it was because of the amount of things going on during the episode, and she's the best lawyer to have.
I was so happy Diane finally got married, she's sort of a role model for me so it's nice to see her joyous.
Sorry can't seem to concentrate, so excited for next week!!
Flag
Oh! Also YAY for time with Kalinda! So happy with the way they handled her having had a relationship with Chrissy. Outing somebody is still extremely serious business (f*ck you Glee) and it wasn't until Kalinda was completely sure about how bogus the suit was did she finally reveal that they'd had a relationship. At work. Mutliple times. Kalinda is so freaking classy and I really just want her around more. I'm just going to say that her going to Carey about that dumb ass fourth year wasn't just for Carey's sake, but also for Alicia's, since she now knows their leaving together.

And is it just me, or does anybody else want see David Lee and Elsbeth slime people? Elsbeth is just the best guest star they have. Gold (not Eli ;)), every time!
Flag
I was just gonna say, I really missed your review last week! Good to see it back again this week :). (I really wanted to talk about all this stuff that is happening to Alicia, instead of her being in control of her life. She spend a lot of time just, staring last week, which really annoyed me).

I think this week was a nice play out on the fourth years wanting their bonuses. Though this puts Alicia in the right again. I need a bit more character developement for Alicia this season, because like I said above, last week she just watched as a lot of stuff happened around her and didn't really do anything. Now I realize that this is part of who she is, but i'm looking forward to next week when this whole thing is gonna land right at her feet and she'll have to do something about it.
Extremely happy to have Kurt in the episode. I'm glad he and Diane got some time this week and we saw that they got married. Their relationship has never been about anybody but the two of them and it doesn't need to survive outside the bubble. Good for them.
Diane's sense of betrayel was very interesting and I don't really know how I feel about it. Will and her are SO mad at each other right now and yet, the firm is still her baby I suppose. Her comment about her getting a glimpse of her life if she hadn't started the firm with Will to Alicia was very poignant. I wonder if we'll get Alicia doubting her own decision on this. Especially because of those fourth years! Are they 5!? Did they forget that they're suppose to be adults and not petulant children!? That scene with the Carey's fessing up to sending that email? Yeah, the frat days are over boys. Time to put on your big boy pants.

Bring on the mayhem that will be next week!

More+
Flag
Diane's reaction was completely wrong. Here's what I'm thinking. If Cary heard the rumor that Will was going to place Alicia as managing partner, I can't believe that Diane wouldn't have heard it. And since Will and Co. continue to try to screw her as she's leaving, I think she'd find it wonderfully ironic that Will's chosen successor is going to leave and take Diane's clients with her.

As for that beyond-stupid-4th-year, once everyone knows the secret's out, there'll be no reason to keep him with Florrick, Agos & Associates.
Flag
I think if Diane was a lesser woman, your reasoning that she'd enjoy this as revenge would be accurate. But Diane is the kind of person who wants to do the right thing (not that she can all the time, THAT interview was a case in point) and even if she is angry at Will and at her soon-to-be former firm, loyalty to Will and to L&G prevails. Also, at the moment when she figured it out, she became more mad at Alicia than she was at Will... I think she really despised Alicia for betraying the firm (as she is a partner now with additional obligations) and Will who is allegedly a friend.

These are lawyers we're talking about, I bet that a-hole will negotiate some sort of protection to prevent being sacked from Florrick, Agos & Assocs...
Flag
actually, I didn't think she did it because of being a nice person or because of loyalty to Will, but because it is HER firm that was being stolen and dismantled. So i would call her reasons more like "pride".
Flag
Sorry, I think loyalty to Will died when she said "This is my firm" and Will replied "This was your firm." And I still think she'd prefer to see her clients managed by Alicia instead of David Lee. And I don't consider this view of Diane to be "a lesser woman". It would be entirely reasonable to see this as karmic justice, not revenge.
Flag
Staff
First paragraph: THAT. Exactly.

Second paragraph: I can't comment on that.
Flag

Bygones. :) Nice touch there, Joel!
Flag
"Wow. Just wow." totally sums it up.

I also had difficulty understanding Diane's haterered against Alicia, but then again, what do we guys know about building up a firm half of our lifes. I guess it's not illogical that she still thinks it's her baby.

And to be honest, Alicia does deserve what's coming at her, L&G made her big. If she wants to stay with her husband, it is obviously the right choice to leave the firm, but she must know that she won't do so unharmed.
Flag
The thing is, Alicia could have left the firm without harm to either party once Peter was elected. All she had to do was go to Will & Diane, say the truth (my marriage to the governor is going to create all manner of ethical/PR problems for my husband, me and the firm) and bow out gracefully.

Instead she's sneaking out with several other attorneys. However badly this goes, it is on her.
Flag
So true! Or ask for a few weeks' leave to, say, "help with Peter's inauguration" or some BS... but that would have messed up the plot which is much more fun this way... Geez the drama...
Flag
This was a great episode! And everything promises next week it will also be great.

Leaving one firm to start another is full of risks and adventure, and the show is portraying that circumstance very well, I think. Right now, we don't know if Alicia will succeed of if she just made a huge mistake. The whole new venture looks more like a big hole at the moment. It is a very important event in the show! If she looses here, she looses everything that she has worked for in the past 4 seasons.

Jackie is the one character that I don't enjoy in this show. All plots related to her are the same. I hope the conclusion of all this is that she will engage in a relationship with that old friend of hers and stay away from his son's stuff from now on. One can hope.

Flag
I agree Jackie is awful and honestly, they've explored every angle of this character and her part in this episode felt unnecessary and just stuff we have seen before... Also, rather implausible that she'd stop a strike quite frankly...
Flag
Diane's idignation is what felt off about all of this. She screwed the firm, and then the firm screwed her, and the firm screwed the 4th years on buying in. Yet Diane's mad-eyed gaze at Alicia and her calm exposing of the betrayal to Will, that really felt like Diane lying to herself about her role in all of this. With Lockhart out, Will and David Lee are going to run the firm as a den of sleaze anyway, the brand is tarnished, so it's not a terrible surprise that Alicia might want to get out, yet Diane looks at her with utter incredulity.

Interesting comparison to Ally McBeal, I hadn't seen that but it did have a lot more quirks and lower-desks vs upper-desks and sex than usual. Chrissy dug herself quite the hole in that case though, that was painfully delicious to watch it unravel at every turn.

I was surprised Eli didn't insist on keeping the state seal where it was supposed to be as his one concession on handing over that power. I agree that watching Eli and Jackie dance is a bit passe', but at least they didn't make us suffer through a lot of it.

They need to fire the 4th years who act so inappropriately regarding Howard's pants-off dance offs, that crap was opening the firm up to a lot more lawsuits simply over a juvenile prank.

Cary seems tied to the 4th years while Alicia clearly is divided. And yeah, all of them are now officially worthless.

David Lee getting perked up by Elsbeth was a treat.

Cannot wait for next week, the show isn't trying to have their cake and eat it too, they're going right for the throat based on the trailer.
More+
Flag
I agree about how Diane shouldn't feel betrayed, but also understand why she would. This is Diane we're talking about and she has always been the boss. And she considered Will to be that with her. The firm was her baby and now somebody was threatening that. It might not make a lot of sense, but I think I understand why they went this way with her. I personally would have liked Diane to have supported Alicia, but that was just never going to happen. Plus we need the big fall out from next week. It's had a nice built up and its time has come ;).
Flag
I think Diane is a tiny bit self-delusional, that she still sees herself as the same idealist that could handle the sleaze of Will's style. But she has burned a lot of bridges. If Diane weren't so successful, I'd see her as a tragic figure on the show.
Flag
This show is so good, she could definitely be both. I've met a few of those in my time and Diane definitely fits the bill.
Flag
Staff
I was intrigued by Jackie's decision to put the seal in Eli's office. Very very symbolic in some ways, though not something I think Eli would go for, really.
Flag
I hadn't seen Jackie that vicious and selfish, but it does track with season one Jackie a lot better.
Flag
I agree about Diane. By now she should not be so shocked about backstabbing, seeing as she's done a fair amount of it herself.
Flag
Omg, I'm so happy to see this review! I was so scared last week when I didn't see The Good Wife popping up in the reviews: "Crap, they aren't going to do 'em no more". Praise the lord! ^^

Last week's episode was so good. And this one too! Oh my gosh! It's funny, it's hilarious, it's gripping, it's scary, it's lighthearted, it's dramatic, it's realistic, it's everything I want from a show!
I have no idea how everything will play out with Alicia, but I sincerely hope she'll get to start Florrick & Agos! I soooo want to see that happening. And then Diane staying at Lockhart, Gardner, because she can't leave Will on his own to weather the storm. And then... Those two duos battling it out in court together. Boombadaboom!
I can't wait!!!
Flag
Thanks Noel for the review. So it is decided we will have weekly reviews ! Hooray !

I would have wanted to write one myself if we did not have one this week.

This is the episode of 3 wows and an awkward !

Wow to Diane getting married ! For a moment, I thought she would back out of it.

Wow to Kalinda sleeping with the para-legal, how many girls have Kalinda slept with?

Wow to Diane finding out about Alicia and telling Will.

The conversation between Will and Alicia about having sex. It was so awkward even to watch.

The stars of this episode were 1) Christine Baranski 2) Carrie Preston. It shows why one was nominated and the other actually won.

It was fun to see Jackie having some exercise/activity beside meddling in his son's affairs.

Next week all hell breaks loose and it will be very fun to watch. Cannot wait !
Flag
Staff
We're feeling optimistic about the potential for continued weekly reviews at the moment. I am pleased but surprised they're doing well considering all the other "bigger" Sunday shows. :)

So keep reading, keep commenting, and keep circulating the link.
Flag
Oh, how I love the subtle humor on this show! I watched last week's episode with my boyfriend and now he's starting to watched it too. It's just so brilliant! Elsbeth is one of my favorite characters and her confused behavior always entertains me. And that huge rat! I just love how they incorporate that stuff.
I can't wait for next week!
Flag
Oh and I forgot to say: It is somehow understandable that Diane would be pissed with Alicia. That betrayal of hers felt like a thing between her and Will, whereas Alicia has always been an employee. Especially since Diane has always given her (and Will) a lot of leeway.
Flag
Good review! My thoughts exactly. I didn't mind the fluff scenes with Eli as much though. Weirdly enough, my favourite part of the episode was the music once more. It really made the whole episode seem like the calm before the storm. This episode built up so much tension and I can't wait until next week when 'everything hits the fan'. Won't even start to guess what will happen and what the state of everything will be at the end of next week's episode. I shall just enjoy the ride :).
Flag
Staff
I don't mind it, but I am just kind of bored that it's the same thing pretty much every time Jackie and Eli have a tiff.

And David Buckley, who is the show's composer, is really outdoing himself so far this season, Wait until next week. His music next week is just fantastic.
Flag
Wow, this was a fantastic episode. I think it was so satisfying because the previous episodes have felt so stressful. I love Elsbeth so much, and I'm always happy when they need her! It was good to revisit Will and Alicia's relationship for a moment, to remember how they used to be, and to see that they can get past it. Of course that makes what's to come even worse. I don't know how they can survive Alicia's betrayal... but maybe they can. After all, wouldn't a younger Will and Diane have been eager to get out on their own? Also, it was great that they gave Diane some redemption at the end. She still has Will's back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Will and Diane will be able to salvage their friendship.

I am so over everything that has to do with Peter's storyline. I wish they'd let it fade into the background.
Flag
So who here thinks that the season (or at least this storyline) is going to end with Alicia's and Cary's firm somehow merging with Will's firm?

It will be hard to structure a solid episode every week with 40% of the characters in Firm A, 40% at firm B, and 20% mixed between her family and Peter's politics. Currently the A and B stories work because the case inter-mingles... but here the inter-mingling would be tough. At least when Cary was "elsewhere" he'd still intermingle with his cases.

I could see the new firm being Gardner, Florrick, Argos & Associates or something. David Lee might get ticked off, but ultimately would smile a fake smile and say "At least we're still getting paid" or something like that.
Flag
What an incredible ending for an amazing episode. The show is still going so strong in its fifth season compared to a lot of other programs. But I wonder how they're going to write all the characters in every episode once everybody starts going their own way.
Flag
Staff
What's really impressive, more than still going strong is that the show has managed to find a new level for its A-plotting in its fifth season.
Flag
I cant stop saying this enough: The Good Wife is just one astonishing show! From week to week it manages to push forward with an immense pace, despite already being in its fifth season. About how many other shows can one say the same? Great acting performances, interesting plots and humour. It's just amazing how it manages to keep up the constant intensity, like for example with this cat and mouse game about whether L&G finds out that Alicia is leaving or not. The only problem during the last episodes has been that Kalinda has been sidelined a little. Hopefully she'll get some scenes in the future in which she smashes some car windows again.
Flag
Right there with you! Every year, I say it again and again, this is just the best show on network tv, maybe on tv in general because it's a network show. Look what they do every week! And now in it's fifth season. A beauty to watch. And again, right there with you on the Kalinda front. I'm jjust hoping she'll play a bigger role later in the season. Fingers crossed!
Flag
Totally agree - TGW often saves the TV week for me, when I'm starting to loose faith on tv writing and acting, I get the weekly episode and I'm back on track.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I hate how Alicia is taking the brunt of the humiliation. I mean its the forth year's fault that they waited so long to leave. But if they left early, there won't be any drama. But still.
Flag
Alicia's betrayal is personal, the rest of them are just business. Will created the foundation for her success and now she's acting like she's above that. She needs to face it, and it's clear they want her to know it based on the writing the last few weeks.
Flag
It kinda swerved me at the end - I thought Diane would have told Alicia and not Will. Until she figured out Alicia was leaving, she seemed to be on better terms with her than the others.
Flag
Staff
I view some of it as a legacy issue, based on how look at the sign in the lobby, and that Alicia departing with top clients will completely wreck that, leaving the firm in shambles (especially so soon after it was saved from being in shambles).
Flag
Probably, but if that was the case. I would of had Diane try to convince Alicia to stay and if that failed, then go to Will.
I know its a moot point, because the writers have already shown Alicia is definitely leaving, but it would have been a nice scene for Diane to show some loyalty to someone other than Will
Flag
I get the impression she did ponder on it but ultimately decided to tell Will. I think probably because she still think of it as her firm and that no matter what she say, Alicia is determine to leave.
Flag
Staff
I'd respond to that, but then I'd have to talk about next week's episode. So you'll just have to wait! ;)
Flag
I really hope Diane becomes a judge and not stick around Lockhart/Gardner. IMO that is where its headed, Diana sticking around with Will and fight Cary and Alicia.

At the same time though, if Cary and Alicia and the other associates are already fuming against each other, there is no point of starting a firm, especially if one associate is already going behind their backs. Why are the forth years so greedy? They are starting their own firm, not winning a lottery. They should know that they'll be in the red for a while.

I thought Diane/Christina Baranski was better last week episode. Her negotiating her exit package was just brilliant.
Flag
That was KIND of my thought a couple of episodes ago (though not about Cary) When Alicia was suggesting they go NOW but the 4th years were saying "No we want to wait for our bonuses, and since it's a democracy then F U for trying to tell us what to do"

Those 4th years come across as COMPLETELY inept... and at the same time like complete jerks. If it's already sucking, then why go with them?

Cary on the other hand has been quite level-headed and knows what he's doing. I'd be cool with wanting to start a firm with Cary but definitely not those knuckle-heads.
Flag
Flag
It looks like Diane will stay with the firm to save it - personally I would of had her join Alicia and Cary
Flag
She's going to be a judge anyways, and she sees her firm as her own baby, she probably would not have made sense for her to go with Alicia and Cary. But they kept us unsure of what her move would be until the last minute. So cool!
Flag
Great episode. I love Carrie Preston as Elsbeth Tascioni.

I agree those 4th years keep doing extremely stupid thing. Although it was Alicia who gave it away in the end, Diane might not have figured it out if the 4th years hadn't made the partners suspicious in the first place.

That last scene was intense, I can't wait till next week.
Flag
Alicia only really gave it away in the end because that one 4th year jumped up her butt about downloading those files. He then scared Alicia into doing it by saying the 4th years were getting chewed out for leaving... when it fact Cary was getting chewed out for that prank involving the old senile partner.

Had it not been for the downloading of the file, Diane wouldn't have put it together before she left. She was only suspicious about the redecorating because she was already suspicious about the file and Alicia's reaction.
Flag
Flag
If looks could kill...Alicia would be dead.

What a great performance by Christine Baranski. She owned every scene just with her facial expressions: love, insecurity/jealousy with Kurt's friends, anger, hurt - you name it!

Christine should finally win an emmy for her role as Diane. But that´s another topic...

All in all another great episode. I really love this show!

Flag
Awesome review, Noel! You made all the important points which I wanted to make. :) Diane was in prime form in this episode. Loved her staring at Alicia in the end. Elsbeth was great, as usual. Can't wait for next week. Also someone mentioned n the comments about Will releasing the video of Peter's guy messing with the ballot boxes. I want to see it happening :).

So, you'll be back to review the episode next week, right? :D
Flag
Staff
Yes, we'll have a review for next week's episode up a few minutes after it finishes airing on the East Coast in the U.S. Possibly before-ish because who the heck knows how football will muck things up? Regardless, there'll be a review.
Flag
We got scared last week, since you bailed on Elementary, we were not sure you would be back to TGW! :)
Flag
Ahh good to know. Thanks
Flag
Keep in mind, Will has a a W M D at his disposal: he has video tape of Peter's go-to-guy messing with the ballots.

I have a feeling we'll soon be seeing scenes of Will pondering whether he should release those.
Flag
Yeh the 4th-years are monumentally stupid. THESE are the people that supposedly got into law-school?

- The guy last night: a lawyer did something that had a 99.9% chance of them getting sued. Seriously, I hate this guy. The guy's balls must have their own gravitational orbit to do what he did, and then blackmail his new partners for their share of the bonuses.
- The other week: one of the 4th years was talking to Alicia RIGHT IN FRONT OF David Lee about the new firm. Seriously, W T F
- Them all whining that they should stay longer because they need the money, when they obviously can't keep a secret.
Flag
Holy crap. Just saw a clip from s1 of TGW. Alicia looks like a totally different human being. I can't believe I never noticed before.
Flag
Yes, the show is a lot about Alicia's redescovery of herself, and the change in the looks helps with expressing that evolution, I think.
Flag
Staff
Those wigs just completely change her every season.
Flag
The final scene with the silent Diane had my stomach in knots. The next episode may kill me.
Flag
It was an awesome scene. The whole thing with the looks at the decorations was very cool and made sense. It felt like we didn't know about Alicia leaving and we were finding out at the same time as her! Awesome.
Flag
Same here. For a split second, I thought she was gonna tackle her.
Flag
"– I sometimes wonder if Cary and Alicia regret taking the fourth-years with them. I only say this because they've proven themselves to be totally and completely inept at every single turn of this covert departure."
Totally agree...the one thing I don't get is why would Alicia go for all that? Just so her name is on the door? Seems so a-Alicia like, no?
Her and Will are perfect and Gardner-FLorrick is what i want (or Gardner-FLorrick-Agos)!

Flag
I think they are making the 4th yearers look as selfish, aggresive and nonsensical as they have been portraying the partners at L&G, as a way to point out that a new firm would not change much of anything, except for giving Alicia independence from Will. So I think they are trying to tell us that she is rooting for Peter.
Flag
No she's doing it to get away from Will. She just can't be around him anymore and actually maintain the professionalism & distance she wants.
Flag
Agreed. She was against the new firm until some final interactions with Will and realized it was time to go.

And when she was considering staying again, Cary's oddly wise words rang in her ears that Will was only promoting her (this time) so he had someone he could rely on (read: control) to help him run things.

Running a firm with Cary isn't so bad: he's competent and smart. But those other 4th years are so dumb I'm surprised they know how to turn a door knob.
Flag
I think Alicia and Cary will continue to build mutual respect professionally, which will be very much needed, given how inadequate their remaining partners are. As Cary said when he was still convincing Alicia to leave - they can be the new Will and Diane.

Regarding Alicia's feelings for Will - I also think their last exchange was bittersweet, but I got the impression that Alicia might be ready to rethink her relationship with Will (and Peter). After all, if she no longer works with Will, she will be free to do whatever she wants, without any moral or legal obligations. The very fact that she still feels uneasy with Peter's insistence to renew their vows, as well as the sweet memories from her time with Will - I think this is where they are going this season.

Of course, Will have to overcome his wounded pride - after all, Alicia owes a lot to him, and he will normally feel betrayed. But I have the feeling this will pass, eventually. Now, the things with Diane may stand differently. She was really comfortable in her role as Alicia's mentor, especially after all of Alicia's baggage with Will, so she may really feel hurt. So hurt, in fact, that I think Diana will stay in Lockhart & Gardner.

I guess we'll see, but I am very much looking forward to the next episode - it's when the real fun starts :)
More +
Flag
Seeing how Will took Diane's betrayal with that interview, it is very unlikely that he will ever forgive Alicia. The only way that I can see something still happening between them is if Will decides now to "seduce" her to break her deal with Cary in favor of their firm. Which is not very likely.
Flag
Of course, Will have to overcome his wounded pride - after all, Alicia owes a lot to him, and he will normally feel betrayed.

The problem is, that's a big hurdle. In one move, Alicia will have knocked the legs out from under their firm. They're JUST coming out of bankruptcy and now she's stealing their top clients. Ignoring the whole "betrayal" aspect, he has to deal with her striking a deadly blow to her business.

All the while, he really stuck his neck out for her. We found out a while ago that she wasn't the top candidate for the job and that the only reason she was hired was because Will called in a favor from David Lee. She was out of the game for years, so he really did her a big favor.

Meanwhile his relationship with her has caused all kinds of trouble when instead he could have moved on and been with others.
Flag
You had me at Bygones! Any McBeal reference for that matter! Hats off!
Great review and boy this is still getting better and better! Loved it!
Flag
Staff
Can you believe there's not a supercut on YouTube of Richard saying "Bygones."?! The Internet has completely and totally failed me.
Flag
We'll have to do something about that! Outrageous! No bygones!
Flag
It's a toss up between Arrow and The Good Wife for best episode ending this week.
Flag
I feel for Will in this whole fiasco, I really do :-(

Flag
The last scene with Diane was just amazing and I cannot wait for next week. Loved Elsbeth, every episode Carrie Preston is in is great and they should have her on more.

Is it sunday yet?
Flag
That Emmy was well deserved, Mrs. Preston!
Flag
Elsbeth is a great character indeed!
Flag
The scene between Will and Alicia was so bittersweet as we all know what's coming. I much prefer Alicia with Will than Peter but I don't see how they are going to survive after next week.
Flag
Yep! The Alicia-Will ship sailed a while back and next week it's bound to sink...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members