A The Good Wife Community
CBS (ended 2016)

The Good Wife S05E12: "We, the Juries"

With "We, the Juries," I think we've reached the tipping point of the Lockhart/Gardner versus Florrick/Agos battle. I've been rolling with the rivalry so far; seeing it has been a good way to keep the stakes of the departure at the forefront, both professionally and personally. It's resulted in some very fine moments, and some great insight into Will's broken and obsessive emotional state, which itself is a departure for a show that's been largely locked into single character's perspective up to this point.

Much like Will's fixation, however, The Good Wife may have become too concerned with this single thing, and is losing the forest for the trees. That the two firms would have claims on cases that are just now going to trial is completely believable, and given Florrick/Agos's financial footing, they'll want every case they can get—so the idea of a joint trial, with two juries, was a fun idea in theory, filled with all sorts of ripe possibilities for shifting strategies and backstabbing. And maybe—just maybe, because we got hints of it!—of a détente between the firms, as they would have to work together to exonerate their clients. It would've counted as forward momentum in both plot and character, and you all know how much I love those things. I know how much you all love them, too!

Sadly, the double jury and the split-but-not-really-split defense became a convoluted and contorted mess that made sense, but not in a way that made sense. I very much felt like Matan as he explained why he was objecting and then not objecting: "I don't know? I... because?" I understand that the couple at the core of the case was dealing with charges of drug-trafficking, but the defense strategies never fully clicked for me, and so the double defense and double jury felt like a shiny bauble that was included in the episode, but that didn't serve much of a purpose.

Part of the challenge was that the legal ins and outs just didn't have much room to breathe, and I think the case really needed that to make sense. Dropping the ballot box video plot from would've solved it, but then it would've delayed development there, and the show couldn't very well do that after the events at the end of last week's episode. More space would've also allowed some more insight into Alicia's cooling mental state—she seemed less combative here, more pensive—and we may have gotten more of Cary and Diane's cooler heads prevailing in an effort to bring this war to an end. Neither of them, after all, benefit all that much from the situation.

So given that the case was a more or less a wash, it's good that B- and C-plots were more interesting. Obviously the ballot box video will be the big engine for the political side of the show going forward, and it's no doubt one of the reasons why Marilyn was introduced. Again, I feel a bit of a swerve with Marilyn's characterization. In the first few episodes, she was, for the most part, calm and collected, and annoyed that no one was taking seriously her insistence that she was there to help Peter, not hurt him. Then there were some episodes full of pregnancy silliness that undermined a lot of that, and then this week, she was back to her earlier characterization. It's tonal whiplash, and while I prefer this Marilyn to the pregnancy sound system Marilyn, I'm pretty much washing my hands of her as a consistent character.

The rest of "We, the Juries," however, was good. I loved Alicia's small breakdown in Peter's office, as it demonstrated just how raw she still can be about Peter's screw-ups, and that all it takes is a whiff of serious wrongdoing to bring it all back. Everything Alicia has built up over five years can come crumbling down, and this time it'll likely be even worse since Alicia now has an identity outside of "Peter Florrick's wife and sheltered wife in a big suburban house." It's also telling, however, that she told him to fix it, that she was hurt by this. It was not an, "I'm sick of this, and you need to go" like it was when she found out about Kalinda and Peter, or when reports surfaced about Peter sleeping with a campaign worker; it was the sense of renewed betrayal, and just after they'd essentially renewed their commitment to each other in every way but the actual ceremony. Peter has, in fact, not changed.

If that scene hadn't been enough, we also had a Will and Peter scene, which are among my favorites since Josh Charles and Chris Noth exude such wonderful, not even concealed loathing for the other's character. It's always a treat, as a result, when they're in a scene alone together. This one's a bit more explicit in what it drags up for them between the affair and the squashing of Diane's judgeship, compared to the unstated grievances that hung in the air in the Alicia and Peter scene, but both of them are very direct with one another in private, so it's not surprising they'd just push each others' buttons as much as they could. Things will, of course, only get worse, the longer the matter of this recording gets dragged out. I can't wait.

Speaking of button pushing, and circling back to the idea of détente, Cary and Kalinda! Maybe almost friends again! Hurrah! I'm sure folks will balk at the the show remedying this relationship when it can't even be bothered to put Alicia and Kalinda in a scene together, but I'll take Kalinda behaving like a human being and Cary having something to do. It offered up some resolution, as Cary is pragmatic enough to understand Kalinda's behavior wasn't personal, just professional, even if they were sexy time friends in the past. And Kalinda, well, she's at least recognizing that there's a chance for one healthy relationship in her life, and I take it as a good sign that she's wanting to fix things with Cary.

SIDEBAR

– This episode featured a plethora of guest stars. We had Spy Daddy Victor GarberWisconsin Sheriff Tom Skerritt, and maker of delicious cupcakes Ashley Williams. Busy casting day!

– This episode also featured music from Bruce Springsteen throughout. It recalled a lot of the musical cues we heard in "What's in the Box?", the Season 4 finale, without actually being them, which seemed appropriate given the B-plot.

– Robyn stayed a couple steps ahead of Kalinda this week. I imagine this was to help shore up the notion of Robyn as competent, but I'm all for it because I think Robyn's great.

– I'm sure jury duty is rough and all—I've never been selected—but man, those were some whiny jurors. "But the other jury gets to sit in the box, with the good chairs?"

– There's still no indication of who sent the tape to the newspaper, so either Will didn't do it, or he's playing this one super cool.

– It was great to see the woman just walking by all those papers on the floor at the end of the episode, since I have to assume this happens every day at Eli's office.

– I hope you enjoyed this mini-fix of The Good Wife, as the show is off the air until March probably due to football games and to avoid competing with the Olympics. See you all then!

What did you think of "We, the Juries"?

82 Comments
Comments (82)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It is off air till march??? :( that is just not fair.. sigh! I thought Suits was the only evil show.. et tu The Good Wife!!!
Flag
I hate melissa george on good wife. Her character bugs the crap out of me.
Flag
"It was great to see the woman just walking by all those papers on the floor at the end of the episode, since I have to assume this happens every day at Eli's office."

LOL I had this same thought.
Flag
– Robyn I totally agree- I'm glad Robyn's getting some credibility.

-Will & Alicia This was the tipping point, I think. I've been kind of enjoying the Will-Alicia rivalry but it got pretty serious this episode. We see Alicia is VERY upset about the video and then Will going for the jugular, actually LYING about a privileged conversation... I think(hope?) the final showdown has got to be coming. I'm worried they are going to play this where Peter DOESN'T make it go away, Alicia is estranged again and somehow ends up back with Will but not knowing he was the cause of Peter going down.

– It was great to see the woman just walking by all those papers on the floor at the end of the episode, since I have to assume this happens every day at Eli's office. Bizarre, I totally noticed that, too. :)

Off air until March?!? AHHHHH NO!

Flag
Will did not lie about his previous privileged conversation with Peter. Go back and check. He was most accurate.
Flag
Going back to check! Now I'm interested, hmm.
Flag
Victor Garber's judge wanted to be clever with his double jury choice and by the end of it was pulling his hair out... That was pretty funny... I think what started as LG vs FA when they were bickering about their clients ended up with them collaborating more or less so I'd say the hatchet (at least the big hatchet) is buried...
I really enjoyed that Cary got one on Kalinda - Cary is such a nice guy, I'd want to be his friend too duh!
Finally Marilyn Garbanza is actually doing something! And the actress did a great job I thought. That ballot video is going to cost the governor a lot. My guess is that it will implode and it will be Eli who will end up going to prison and Peter will no longer be a candidate for VP... Too much shit around him...
I still think Will did not send the video but if nobody else has it, then I guess someone who had access to his computer so either yoga blondie or perhaps some slimeball lawyer at his firm and there is no shortage of candidates with the Damian douchebag and that Edelman doubledouchebag or David Lee himself?
More+
Flag
The Good Wife usually takes real life cases and legal issues and puts them in the show. That's probably why we got to see a double-jury. It doesn't happen often, but it happened in a case middle of last year. It makes for interesting TV. http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/richmond-gang-rape-defendants-face-double-jury-tri/nX99d/
Flag
I loved the fact that they had the double jury because the judge wanted to "save the courts time". Yeah...i don't think they saved any time with that train wreck to be honest. But I did love the episode. It reminds me of myself at work or with my kids, how i sometimes say "smart things" to save time or to make everybody happy and in the end things just ends up taking more time and getting really complicated. Nobody is ever happy, like when will wanted the jury to leave but as the questioning started he wanted them back. I love this show, it's always fun to watch, even when it gets serious. That's why I never get tired of the show and still love it after this many seasons :)
Flag
I thought all the bickering between Lockhart & Gardner and Florrick & Agos would be fun, but it's just tedious. =(

Let's bury that hatchet, shall we?
Flag
This show is starting to suck!!! The same B.S. every week!!! Will vs. Alicia in the courtroom!! BORING!!! And the Governor is dirty?!?! Really?!?! No kidding!!
Flag
I just went through the whole signing up to say:
I can't believe you mentioned the woman calmly walking outside Eli's office after he threw the papers! It's great to know someone paid attention to that little detail, with all that was happening in the episode! I laughed so hard and played the last 4 secs twice :P
I was also very happy to see Will standing up for Diane! of all the hate-inspired decisions that've been made since Hitting the fan I think the only one that felt really unfair was Peter taking away Diane's judgeship as a retribution when she really didn't do anything!
Flag
Didn't do anything? She started the whole thing. She got suspicious, she confronted one her clients. She talked Will. Then Will went ballistic.
Flag
One of the things I liked the most about the show was that it felt grounded in reality and, shall I say, adult. Each episode could stand on its own. I could follow the story of the week and it was fun not having to chase the back and forth of the Alicia-Will romance. Now, it seems that the show serves the romance!! The cases are just an excuse to show how angry and hurt Will is and how ultimately the Alicia-Carry duo outsmarts him. Diane is basically gone!! Interesting relationships like Alicia-Kalinda, Alicia-Eli, Alicia-her mother, Jackie-anyone, Diane-her husband (?), the kids!! The show is being reduced to a lover's quarrel and it sucks.
Flag
I think they tried to do to much with this episode, the first telling sign was when they launched straight into the trial without preliminary scenes. My feeling is that while a double jury trial would make a great episode by itself, combining that with the firms' blood feud was too much and it showed. Also what's with LG always being represented by Will & Diane, it's a lazy attempt to involve the characters in the show when most of the cases would be handled by associates.

I had a feeling last week that the the show beginning the election-rigging arc probably meant that Florrick Argos' startup issues were over and I think that's still true, we won't get more stories about their dire straits unless something huge happens.

Speaking of the election-rigging that was the best part of the episode, especially Alicia's and Will's conversations with Peter. This is going to be a terrific storyline moving forward, with Zach's potential involvement and Will's subtle extortion. I'm sad about waiting till March but there's a lot to look forward to.
Flag
I really liked the episode, actually.
Of the more random thoughts: it's always hilarious when Peter gets offended at the notion of Will "cheating with another man's wife".
Flag
Yes - I thought that too... If Peter wants to be mad at someone it should be Alicia though that'd be tough since he cheated first... Awww Peter, such a mommy's boy, spoilt and hypocritical... Sadly, this ballot mess is going to cost him
Flag
I never thought I'd see the day where I like Peter more than Will. Well, there we go. Congrats TGW?
Flag
I always liked Will. And their chemistry. But I always liked the chemistry between Alicia and Peter. What is sad is this show is making me loathe Will. And I have no stomach for Marilyn's actions. No thought to the human equation - she's acting like a robot. Not even interested in any other reason why someone might say what they say. I hate when writers write women as idiots.
Flag
Me too. Will was one of my favourite characters from the beginning and to see them turning him into this utter douchebag and liar just hurts. I occasionally liked the chemistry between Alicia and Peter but I could never forget what he did so I always wanted her not to fall in with him again. She'll just continually get hurt by what he does. But at least he doesn't do what Will is doing, to hurt her on purpose.
Flag
Will did not lie about the video. Peter is the one who is remembering the discusion the way he wants to. I agree that Will is very hurt and acting very aggresively, but Peter is playing the victim when he knew about the votes (Will told him in the last episode of season 4) and he is washing his hands and pretending that Will is lying. Peter has all the apperence of honesty without the essence of it. He knows how to spin a situation better than anyone. I don't trust him.
Flag
I'm not talking about the video. I'm talking about the case where he openly lied to the judge to get revenge on Alicia.
Flag
I just saw the BAD news. No more TGW till March ! I hate it when the shows takes a long break and just so soon after the holidays.

As much as I love TGW, it is time to stop (at least a few episodes) the war between Will and Alicia. At least have a temporary cease fire so we can see some of our favorite guest stars back.

I think part of the problem is that Josh Charles,Christine Baranski and Archie Panjabi are all main leads and if the writers were to focus on a case with Alicia and Gary then these 3 leads might not feature at all in that episode.

I hope the Kings come out with a solution for that. I do trust them.

That is why I am happy with the ballet box story, that is quite interesting and it would be more interesting to see how Eli stop it. It seems the guy is taking the fall for Eli and Peter so they should be safe.

I do have 2 questions though as I am not familiar with US legal system.

1) Does Melissa George character work for Peter? If so how can she be in charge of ethics. Is she like an internal audit department?

2) Are there really cases of double jury in real life? First time I have seen this in any legal shows on TV and it seems very comical.
More+
Flag
MARCH?????
Flag
I LOVED It, I thought it was almost perfect!
Flag
I like that Cary saw thru Kalinda's plan, and that he knows her well enough to do so. I enjoy Kalinda but I want her to be human, not a robotic super-investigator.
I'm also very much over the law firms fighting like children, and here sucking a judge into the personal feud. I don't know how long they're going to drag this out, but I imagine it will impact the ballot issue, and I fear it will probably be still be going strong by the season cliffhanger. The storyline is taking away from the show, for me anyway, turning a fine drama into a silly soap opera.
Flag
Yeh but the judge brought it on himself. He was trying to act too clever and didn't think it through:

There's probably a good reason why double-juries aren't done often.

I know some people that are the same way, they think they have a cool idea and demand someone do something that way. But they don't think the logistics through so it inevitably blows up in their face. At least here he had nobody to blame but himself, in the corporate world the lowly peon gets the blame for not implementing it well.
Flag
I always assumed Marilyn gets a hard time and isn't trusted due to the whole Wendy Scott-Carr storyline a couple seasons ago. The last time they had a cute, perky, and overly polite and "moral" woman investigating stuff... it almost blew up in everyone's face. The cast tried trusting her but it appeared she used the task and power she was given as a way to get even with Peter beating her at the election and went beyond the scope of her investigation to do so. At least that's how I remember it... maybe I'm wrong.

Here they have another cute and perky woman investigating stuff to make sure everything is "ethical." Is she trying to make a name for herself by bringing down a governor?
Flag
I hate it when Kalinda is one-upped by someone! TGW's writers please don't make a habit of this.

Flag
I actually loved it (even if it seemed a little heavy-handed) to see Kalinda outsmarted. I'm afraid I'm getting a little over Kalinda this season.
Flag
I liked Kalinda very much but it is also nice to see she is NOT invincible and Cary beat her at her own game. Another thing I liked about Kalinda is also that she is usually not too personal. She takes it like a good sport. She does win back Cary friendship and that is a bonus for her.
Flag
Seriously? I got a laugh out of the episode... she tried to play Cary but he saw through it.

In general I'm fine with Kalinda not being perfect. But obviously if it's a villain or some trying to get away with something I want her to call them out on their lie / scandal / etc.
Flag
WHAT?!? Good Wife is coming back in March! I was enjoying your review so much, why would you end with such terrible news? :P
Great scene between Will and Peter. They both exude such hatred for each other. I am going to go search for the script of the ballot box episode, to see who was telling the truth.

Flag
Alicia has a lot to lose as she was actually involved in this scandal. It won't matter that she "went in" trying to get those votes thrown out. Ultimately she was trying to have the votes counted once the contents were known. So... she's right smack in the middle of this scandal. Forget about losing face because her husband screwed up again, now SHE could get investigated by the feds and what-not.

Will is being a d*ck. I thought perhaps he was going to mellow out and just be an annoying opponent / lawyer but now he's flat-out lying. He lied to the judge and he ( THINK) lied about what he told Peter on election night (but it's been a while since I saw the scene). And it's revealed much of this is due to pulling Diane's judge-backing, which we all just KNEW was going to bite him in the arse.
Flag
No Will was telling the truth to Peter. He did tell Peter the 30,000 votes were fraudulent and that if a judge saw the video he'd lose the election. Peter is convienently not remembering a really important conversation he had on the biggest night of his life: His election!

Peter is the one acting like a d*ck. When he said to Will that he's a suspended lawyer who cheats with married women, I wanted to puke. The hypocrisy of Peter always playing the hurt husband, when he's the real cheater. Will and Alicia were in a relationship after Peter and Alicia separated.... and still Peter and Alicia live separately!

Will lying to the judge only happened when it was convenient for Alicia to finally tell the judge that jurors were speaking to each other, when she realized her client was losing. She's isn't a saint. I don't see how people think Will is the bad guy here. He's the only one heartbroken. And the only one honest about his feelings.

Both Peter and Alicia are in the marriage to help their careers.
Flag
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That's my opinion from the very first moment, when Alicia decided to leave without telling a thing to Will AKA betraying him, after all his support.

Both Alicia and Peter are horribly hypocritical and so very opportunist!

I quote every line you wrote.
Flag
I agree somewhat after reflecting more that Will isn't as BIG a jerk as some people think.

But I don't agree with your comment about "leave without telling him" bit. I agree that Alicia is in the wrong, but telling him ahead of time would have made things similar to how they are now.

Alicia leaving by herself, fine. Alicia leaving with Cary, a good chunk of their staff, taking some of their clients, etc... it STILL would have been war. If they say "We're leaving and would like to take clients A-F" then Will + Diane + David Lee would have just had an even greater head start in stopping them. IF they were all feeling civil they might have thrown some low-paying clients their way but no way they'd let them take any big fish. And their firm could not survive without big fish.
Flag
Ah, OK. It's been a while since I saw the scene. I remember he came there about the tape and mentioned it would hurt him but I didn't recall him saying that it showed the votes were fraudulent. If that's true, then yeh Will isn't that in the wrong.

And I agree with that Peter is a hypocrite... he got into this whole mess in the first place by sleeping around AND being corrupt back in the day. So saying that about Will was way stupid.

As to the lying to the judge... it's one thing to withhold information it's another to out-right lie to a judge when asked a specific question. A vague "I don't know what I saw" would be one thing but saying "I didn't see anything, and Alicia can't prove it" is really low when WE KNOW he saw something. Sorry, that's crossing a line. Lying to a judge on a direct question -- way shady.

Meanwhile, their efforts against Alicia since the split haven't been great. David Lee HEAVILY implied Alicia was embezzling or something, Will was pulling some shady stuff (partially due to his new mob lawyer), and Will is trying to force everyone to do his bidding at the firm. He's no devil, but he ain't very saintly either. He's actually quite a bit darker than previous seasons.
More +
Flag
I WILL add the caveat that PERHAPS Will walked over there and found out they were talking about going out on a date or whatever... and PERHAPS he was acting chivalrous about not outing their relationship them or whatever to the judge.

BUT... legally, I'd imagine if two people on these two juries like this were dating that would be a conflict of interest. I imagine that if two jurors on the same jury were dating (gay or straight) then one of them would be kicked out due to conflicts.
Flag
I think what she is most mad about is the involvement of Zach. As parents, you definitely do not want to involve your own kids in whatever shit you have.

Will is like a scorn lover. I very much expected since Alicia departure. He is behaving very much like what any man would if one was betrayal by your lover.
Flag
I think Zach is the one way the Florricks might be able to rein in Will. The only time Will has behaved like a grown-up since the firm split is when he was accidentally on the phone with Grace - and immediately shifted into neutral with her. This makes me think Will might - might - back off to protect Zach/keep him out of it.
Flag
That's true about Zach, she even said as much. He's involved in this now; he'll have to get questioned and investigated by the feds, be put in the spotlight, etc. And her big pet peeve is that the kids stay out of the spotlight, that's like her ONE rule with Eli.

But still, she does have a lot to lose with this. It can easily be seen as Alicia helping her husband trying to cheat the voters even though that's not what she went in there to do. In which case she's kind of screwed too... at least last time Peter screwed up she could support the family. But if she's seen as a bad egg then she won't be able to do that easily.
Flag
Here's what I want to see come March (assuming I survive the hiatus)
- more friction between Will and Peter, with Alicia getting involved in the game leading to some hot Willicia moments
- Kalinda in a meaningful relationship. I don't much care who with, but Cary would be nice
Flag
Staff
Sorry. Stopped reading after "More friction between Will and Peter." My mind wandered.
Flag
Don't see that one... Now Will and Damian perhaps....
Flag
I kind of agree... those two having constant p*ssing contests gets a little boring and/or frustrating after a while. We get it... you both like the same woman.

However Will is firing a major shot across the bow; his actions could ruin Peter and Alicia in a number of ways. Granted, it's not Will's fault Peter is in this situation to begin with but he is making it purposely making it worse by lying.
Flag
Will did not lie about the conversation regarding the ballots...
Flag
Yeh someone pointed that out to me elsewhere. So Will wasn't really a jerk here.
Flag
Staff
Oh, no, not wandered about their pissing contest. Wandered about the slash fiction opportunities. ;)
Flag
You reading A LOT of fanfic perhaps?
Flag
LOL gotcha.

Thought you meant "bored now" and not "hmmm interesting"
Flag
I'm so happy Cary and Kalinda are friends again. I always liked their interactions. I don't care if they stay friends or become romantic, I just like them together.

I hate what Peter does to Alicia. I wish she'd get over him and move on.
Flag
I hope it's legit... maybe with a little cat-and-mouse going on later. Though technically I wouldn't call them even. Kalinda broke Cary's trust twice: once to blab about the offices and twice to check his phone behind his back. Had she looked at the phone and decided NOT to use the knowledge I'd call it closER to even but still not there.

I miss Kalinda-the-trusted-friend bit from earlier seasons: something she lost with Alicia a couple seasons ago and never TRULY got back, and something she lost with Cary when she double-crossed him.

Flag
Loved the two juries and the incessant whining. I can imagine that preferential treatment, the jury board vs. folding chairs, would probably grate on most people since the two juries should expect equal standing. Also loved the judge's inability to distinguish which jury was which. Mostly loved John Cariani as whiny juror #1. John's a Tony nominated actor and playwright from Presque Isle, Maine.
Flag
Good review, and I agree with it on most points, especially about Marilyn. It seems she has a split personality or is slightly unstable. In any event, it is hard to take her character seriously.

Unlike the reviewer, I didn't have a problem with the dual jury as plot device for this week. The case itself was insignificant, and it didn't matter if it made sense. Its purpose was merely to give the two law firms yet another chance to bicker or work together or something in between. And actually the writing and performing of those scenes was rather well done considering that they had to be confusing and quick moving. I found it all rather amusing.

I find the Cary/Kalinda reconciliation uninteresting and I can't see that it has much purpose except, possibly, to set up some new nastiness on Kalinda's part. Don't trust her, Cary.

I am looking forward to more on the stolen ballot box plot and how Alicia deals with her anger toward Peter.
Flag
I agree completely, including especially the Kalinda part.
Flag
The bar scene with Carry and Kalinda makes me wonder: Don't lawyers have a passcode on their phone?
Flag
I think Cary must have removed the passcode (temporarily one would hope) so Kalinda could see the message
Flag
It depends on how the phone is setup. You can make it so it doesn't truly passcode-lock itself if the screen was only locked within the last X minutes. It's great for when you accidentally lock the screen prematurely and you have a window of time to not have to type in an 8 digit code again.

But it's obviously less secure. PERSONALLY if I was a lawyer I'd leave it on maximum security all of the time. With a Doctor... probably the same but sometimes as a doctor you might need urgent access to something and accidentally locking the screen might be a big deal. But I don't know the rules for that stuff.
Flag
I found it kind of annoying that the judge was getting annoyed with the double jury trial when he was the one that ordered it, also when he stated he didnt care if it went to appeal, he would have been wasting his and other peoples time including the juries, I love Victor Garber as much as the next guy, but his character was unbelievable in this. Will is also starting to really piss me off, messing with Peter like he is and not backing Alicia's statement about the jury members talking, his character used to be a dick but for a purpose and with a little bit of redemption, now he is just a dick.
Flag
I'm torn. I think the judge deserved to have a hard time: he was trying to be innovative and quick and acting kind of dickish about the whole thing when he declared the double-jury so watching it blow up in his face like that was a just desserts.

BUT I agree with the whole "didn't care if it went to appeal" bit. That was down-right wrong. Granted this isn't real life and he wasn't a real judge and bla bla bla but that kind of abuse of power and disregard to everything is just messed up. It could result in a person going to pound-me-in-the-*** prison for however long it takes to clear up... because he's fed up with his own mistake?
Flag
Were it not for that last scene between Will and Peter, I would have thought this episode was the beginning of the end of the Will vs Alicia story, but then they put the straw up there on the camel's back.

I was impressed that Cary saw right through Kalinda, even when Kalinda herself wasn't sure how she was going to take it. Cary's move was brilliant, but I just don't see Kalinda not doing her own due diligence.

The joint trial with two juries wasn't fun, it was only convoluted and irritating, the characters voicing the audience's displeasure with the gimmick all over the place. I was more impressed that they didn't get both defendants off what with Robyn's discovery, but they also didn't play up that information realistically, nowhere near enough groundwork was laid and it just flopped like a fish. Casting recognizable Ashley Williams as the flight attendant first seemed like an obvious dodge to "she did it!" but then when that still didn't get the F/A defendant free, it became more nefarious and clever to choose a face.

Alicia's blow-up, not breakdown, in Peter's office should have had greater repercussions. I just don't buy Peter rolling over for Will on this, Will committing perjury twice in the episode had turned him into a villain and Peter just taking it was a little surprising.

- Jack Bristow is the greatest TV spy the world has ever known! "Spy daddy" my aunt fanny.

- Springsteen's song felt very derivative of The Rolling Stones, I was surprised by that.

- The chairs were a big deal, I totally could buy them bitching about having to sit on folding chairs - we had 18 people in my sister's 2-bedroom for Christmas, lot of folding chairs, they suck after a few hours no matter how swanky.

- Screw you, NFL playoffs!
More+
Flag
Perjury=lying under oath
Flag
Will perjured himself in front of the judge by lying about what he saw with the 2 jurors (even an innocent discussion, as evident in the end of the episode, still has to be vetted by the judge and lawyers first) and threatened to perjure himself again at the end with Peter.
Flag
No, Will did not perjure himself, as he was not under oath when he was before the Judge. However, as an officer of the court, he is expected to tell the truth to the Judge. It is not perjury--and as a trial attorney, I have seen worse examples. As for the discussion about the ballots, Will was correct in his recounting of that conversation. Even if incorrect, still not perjury.
Flag
You must be a attorney to split hairs between perjury and acting as an officer of the court to lie to a judge, and to knowingly fabricate a portion of a conversation as merely "incorrect".
Flag
When they first showed the setup and mentioned some would sit on folding chairs I said "If this were real and I was a juror sent to a folding chair I'd be pissed off." So I was waiting for one of the jurors to say the same thing.

It's bad enough you have to sit through a trial, but to have to sit on substandard seating due to a flip of a coin makes things worse.
Flag
And if you have any physical problems, a folding chair is pure torture after just a hour or two.
Flag
Yup, my back gives me trouble after a while and I'm pretty sure 8 hours in a day would screw me up. Hence why I would be ticked off.

Lack of comfort is one thing, and ergonomics is another.
Flag
Excellent review, Noel! (You've always covered the show well, but this one was particularly bang-on.)
The whole two juries thing certainly seemed forced - they need to stop pushing believability just so they can have LG and Florrick-Agos at odds every episode.
The election storyline played out perfectly- with all characters behaving just as one would expect them to, and, as you point out, with a great Will-Peter scene.
Not sure if Kalinda's invitation to Cary was entirely platonic? Though that may just be me having schoolgirl fantasies about those two ;)
Flag
Staff
I'm going with platonic for the time being, with motivation based on her experiences with Jenna the past couple of episodes.
Flag
I'm I forgot everything you wrote when I read Good wife is coming back in MARCH??!! This is such terrible news.
Flag
Staff
Right?! I don't know what I'm going to do. Jen doesn't want my reviews of curling!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC