The Good Wife

Feeding the Rat

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 16, 2011 on CBS

• Feed the Hamster

I'm serious about that. I think that's the lesson Will learnt spending some time on memory lane while "courting" his former partner in crime Celeste Serrano for a job in his firm. The hamster (domesticated animal) as opposed to the rat (the wild thing) representing the man who decides to take the rightful path and take on his responsibilities in work and in personal relationships.

In this episode the writers managed to turn the whole Alicia-Will-relationship around without the two of them actually having much screentime together. As to the comment of the former reviewer I couldn't agree less. I think it is kind of cute when the two of them get together although I'm concerned for Will and his feelings. For Alicia there is a lot at stake and she has her two children to consider.

The show is not only about the spectacular cases although I do love me some court drama. The Good Wife pulls off making the day to day work of a lawyer interesting (well at least concerning high profile law firms). It's the mix between work and personal life which gets me every time. I want to get involved with the characters and there is plenty of room for that in this episode.

I found this episode to be highly entertaining and even suspenseful because of Kalinda's attempts to prove the defendant's story which alway seemed to lead to a dead end. With The Good Wife you never know when you'll be hit with a surprising turning point. I was half expecting that the outcome for the (supposedly) innocent man would be bad.
    I could watch episodes like that for a lot more seasons. This is how a series should be done and I hope it will go on for a long time to come.

"Feeding the Rat" is not one of The Good Wife's better episodes as of late. They had an interesting case, but it really got pushed to the side with a lot of unnecessary relationship drama. Alicia and Will acting all luvvy dubby is not what any viewer wants to see. And the new character played by Lisa Edelstein is a snore.

I appreciate the show tackling the struggles of a law firm outside of simply the cases, which they did tonight, but as a whole the thing just screamed mediocre to me.