The Good Wife

Killer Song

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 29, 2011 on CBS

• The Good Wife continues to evolve, with shifting allegiances, romances that go hot and cold, and friends that become enemies, and vice versa. Sometimes it seems inconsistent, but is consistency the hobgoblin of small minds?

The Good Wife has several hot subplots with complex and interesting characters. Sometimes it seems like they drop a thread, rather than tying up the loose ends, but maybe the thread is just dormant and will resurface when you least expect it. What is happening with Alicia and Will? Will is going through of series of flings, but wasn't Alicia supposed to be his true love? Is Alicia warming up to her philandering husband, Peter? Kalinda and Eli were some of the most ambiguous characters, but now it seems like Eli has a crush on America Ferrera! He also an ex wife and a sassy daughter. Kalinda was all over the map, but was she just using her allure to further her investigations? It seemed like a very hot romance was heating up between her and Blake, but now they are mortal enemies. Kalinda and Peter? What about that woman that Kalinda was making out with in the evidence storage locker? Was that just another ploy? Kalinda and Cary? It seemed like Cary did have a crush on Cary, but Kalinda made it clear that he wasn't in her league. Now it seems like Kalinda is in trouble, and either she is starting to appreciate him a little more, or else she is just trying to exploit him. The relationships of the main characters, the fate of the law firm, and Peter's election are the ongoing stories, but then along with that, there are the legal cases. This episode, Killer Song, had a very interesting case about a serial killer who wrote a song that was recorded by a popular band, and wants to receive his song writer royalties. The song may be about a murder he committed, and there is a law that prevents killers from profiting from their crimes. I liked it when he compared his lyrics to Elvis Costello and Gerard Manley Hopkins. Gerard Manley Hopkins? Oh, Margaret, why are you grieving, in the golden grove, unleaving? That is just off the top of my head, so it might not be a totally accurate Gerard Manley Hopkins quote.

The Good Wife is my current favorite show, because along with the drama, there is the material about politics and the law. I like the moral ambiguity, as sometimes justice is served, and sometimes you get another dish entirely. Cary was a good guy, then an enemy, then maybe a good guy, again? Kalinda, my favorite character, seemed like a bad, bad, girl. But with Peter? That crossed the line. How will Peter and Alicia work that out if Alicia finds out? Ménage à Trois? Yeah, well, Alicia may be a good wife, but I doubt that she'll be THAT good.
CBS