"The Greatest American Hero" Contribution Guide

VillaFan

[1]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 43
    "The Greatest American Hero" Contribution Guide

Below you'll find details regarding the types of submissions that you can make for "The Greatest American Hero" and any format or content rules for each type of submission. Everything contained in this guide is based on the Official FAQ, with a few of my own personal preferences thrown in. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this blog, or send me a private message. I'd rather you ask a question first, than make a series of submissions only to have them rejected due to a small formatting issue

Table Of Contents

Introduction

What kind of submissions can I make?

What are some must-knows about formatting content on TV.com?
    What HTML formatting is allowed?

Types of Submissions

Allusions
    Episode Summary
    Notes
    Quotes
    Trivia
    Show Stars

Additional Information

How Can I Become A Trusted User?
    Rejections
    User Comments
    What Information can not be changed?

Introduction

What Kind Of Submissions Can I Make?

There's a wide array of submission options that you can take advantage of for each episode. Regardless of the type of information that you're submitting, the one thing you need to keep in mind is that you must submit things in your own words. Copying content from other web sites, even if it's the official site, will be considered theft and a violation of the TV.com Terms Of Service (TOS). (Back)

What are some must-knows about formatting content on TV.com?

• The HTML allowed is extremely limited and mostly used for font decoration.
    • All forms will process your paragraph separations automatically. There is no need to use br or p tags.
    • You should mimic the formatting styles that already exist on the site. Not doing so could lead to your submissions being rejected.
    • You can find instructions and helpful hints on the right side of every form by rolling over the question mark icons. (Back)

What HTML formatting is allowed?

The following HTML tags are allowed: < b >, < strong >, < em >, < i >, < br >, and < p >. You can learn more about HTML here. (Back)

Types of Contributions

Allusions

Allusions are almost always specific, and something a character says that refers to a movie, TV show, book, cultural event, etc. Borrowing/ripping off/whatever from other sources is not an Allusion, unless the characters mention it.

An Allusion should have a quote at the beginning, and then hit return once, then a couple of sentences of explanation. Don't explain how it relates to the characters, just explain the reference itself. (Back)

Example

Character: Wow, I'm reliving time just like Groundhog Day.

This area should consist of a minimum two-sentence explanation of what the movie Groundhog Day was about.

If your episode allusion has to do with a quote, use the quote format to list the quote (by bolding the speaker's name), then use the html break mark, and list your reference on the next line. Please use quotations to list episode titles, film titles, book titles, TV series titles, etc, and place them in italics - this all makes them stand out better and be noticed. (Back)

Episode Summary

Episode summaries are meant to encapsulate all information about a specific episode of a show. If you need to create a new episode, go to the main contribute index and select "add new episode." Existing episodes can be updated either by navigating to the specific episode from the episode list or by selecting it on the contribute index page.

Note that all episodes submitted for a season that does not yet exist on the site must go through moderation, even if the submitting user is the editor of the show. This forced moderation is a preventive measure against abuse of editor power.

Best Practices for the Episode Summary:

• Episode summaries and the recaps that follow them should not contain opinion and should be as neutral in tone as possible.
    • The summary should be vague and should not contain any spoilers. The recap is the opposite and should be as comprehensive as possible, containing full plot elements.
    • Episodes should be ordered by their airdate on American television, unless there is a majority consensus by
    the community on another ordering scheme. (Back)

Notes

Notes are for production-related facts dealing with real-life. If it references an actor, a director, a filming location, then it’s Note. The Season/Episode lists already tell you which episodes are season premieres, finales, two-partners, etc., so don’t submit them as Notes.

If someone is interested in an actor’s credits or “best known as” role, they can click on the actor links. Notes aren’t the section for it. Plot points aren’t Notes, either. They’re also potential spoilers for future new viewers. Write a recap and put plot points in there. (Back)

Quotes

Quotes are obviously exact quotations from a particular episode. Sometimes this can be one line, and other times it might include more than one actor in order to give context, or provide the proper punch line. Pretty straightforward stuff, but you need to make sure that your format is correct, otherwise your submission will be rejected. Below is an example of what format, including HTML you should use when submitting a quote.

Brooke: So that's the boy that beat Nathan?
    (Peyton nods)
    Brooke: Well, he's good from behind.

< b >Character < /b >: Character Quote.
    < i > Character Action < /i >
    < b >Character < /b >: Character Quote.

Please do NOT use any quotation marks.
    Please do not use < p > or < br > tags.
    Please put html tags for italics around any "action" (as shown above) -using < i > and < /i > tags.
    Please put the colon OUTSIDE of the < /b > html tags.

(Back)

Trivia

There is a fine line between Trivia and Notes. Trivia is primarily for goofs which are accepted at the discretion of the editor and can include continuity problems, plot holes, scene miscues, bad lip-syncing, etc. Don't submit arguments. If you disagree with a Goof, mark it for deletion and explain in Comments why it should be deleted.

Otherwise Trivia is for obscure on-screen in-story or in-character facts the viewer might not notice. Please note some plot points can be listed in the trivia section, but I'd recommend that the spoiler warning should apply for recent episodes. (Back)

Show Stars

The show stars are actors or actresses who have starred in a show over the course of its lifetime.

Best Practices for the Show Stars:

• Include stars from the entire course of a show, not just from the current season.
    • Do not put recurring characters in the show stars form if they are not credited as stars. Recurring characters displayed on the "cast" page are automatically generated and reflect any actor that has appeared on a show more than five times.
    • If you feel the need to display season information, please do so in the character name. For example, "Kramer (Seasons 1-9)". Please do not list episode information--"Kramer (Episodes 1-123)"--in character names unless a show lasted only one season.

(Back)

Additional Information

How Can I Become A Trusted User?

If you become active in making submissions, you can become a "Trusted User" if you meet the following minimum guidelines: » Need to have at least 40 points (TV.com standard) » Need to be one of the top 5 contributors (TV.com standard). Finally, please remember that it is still within my discretion to decide when and if I will appoint someone a trusted user. (Back)

Rejections

Normally I will list in the Moderator Comments, the reason why your submission has been rejected along with your original submission. Please note that I won't just automatically reject something because you forgot a comma, I will edit some submissions and approve them nonetheless. But if there are several errors (grammatical or not) I may reject it, and then explain why. (Back)

User Comments

Some people seem to be confused about this section. When you add a submission there's a mandatory section called the User Comments area. That section isn't for comments on the episode or the series in general, it's for comments about your submission. Basically the reason why your submission should be accepted. Usually it's a good idea to list your submission there as well, or some other notation for your own reference as to the submission, just in case it's rejected incorrectly. If it's for a deletion or correction, please use it to list your reasons why it should be deleted or corrected. (Back)

What Information Cannot Be Changed?

Unfortunately, there is some content that cannot be changed, or edited. Even as an editor, there is no way that I can edit any of the following types of information:

- News
    - Pictures
    - Reviews
    - Videos

If you see a problem with any of these types of items, you need to contact me via private message. (Back)

Credit to Mashby & Kristhetvgirl2 for giving me ideas for this contribution guide
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.