The Greatest American Hero

Lilacs, Mr. Maxwell

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 1982 on ABC

• Bill falls for a woman working for the FBI, who turns out to be a foreign agent. The two find themselves in love and on opposite sides, and in the end, Bill does something that surprises everyone who thought they really knew him.

I loved this episode so much that it's the only one I bothered to remember the title of after all these years of first seeing it. The acting by Culp and Dixie Carter is extraordinary; you can see the agony and feel the tragedy as they each realize they've got to stop the other. She is given orders to eliminate Maxwell, and he knows she's double-crossed him and the government he works for. As much as he'd like to trust her, he can't bring himself to do so. She gets tied up in a bust orchestrated with Ralph's assistance, and the men for whom she works think she's gone over to the Feds' side. The ending is quite surprising and rather out-of-character for Maxwell, eliciting a surprised response from Pam when she asks if this is the Bill Maxwell they know. Seeing as the story was written by the man who plays Bill, I guess it's allowable this time. This is a very character-driven episode, and a must-see for anyone who considers him or herself a Bill Maxwell fan.