The Green Hornet Forums

ABC (ended 1967)

One thing I never understood...

OMGWTFLOL99

[1]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 5

The idea makes sense, a hero posing as a villain to gain confidence of criminals to take them down more easily from the inside. But what I never understood about The Green Hornet was how exactly he got the reputation he had.

Throughout the series people treat him like some criminal mastermind, but he never really does anything successfully because all of his supposed "plots" end up being foiled and his "partners" get caught and go to jail. As a viewer, we know this is because he's really good, and Britt Reid wouldn't actually do the things The Green Hornet is believed to do. But for an average person that reads the newspaper in the city, wouldn't they just be seeing "Green Hornet attempts to rob a bank, 4 accomplices arrested" or "Green Hornet escapes after foiled diamond heist" and things like that?

Did Britt and Kato pull side jobs that the audience doesn't see just so they can keep the Green Hornet's reputation up? WHY were all of these criminals so eager to bring the Green Hornet on board when all he does is screw up the plan and just "narrowly get away" every time, with his accomplices seemingly always getting caught?

After a while you'd think the police would just stop chasing him because he's responsible for most of their huge busts when things just happen to go wrong with a plan when he joins up with another criminal and they end up being led to the criminal's hideout or something.

I just don't get where his reputation comes from. It's almost like asking why henchmen keep joining up with one of Batman's villains when none of their plans ever succeed, except in this situation they have more to lose because it's their plan they're letting the Green Hornet in on.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tbrittreid

[2]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 14

"[W]hat I never understood about The Green Hornet was how exactly he got the reputation he had....[P]eople treat him like a criminal mastermind, but he never really does anything [to that end]."

This question may well be why both this TV series and the original radio program began with the Hornet's career and reputation firmly established. Both Universal's 1940 film serial and NOW's 1989-1995 comic books told his origin, but in each he was merely implicated in a murder he had not committed (in the comic the death was actually accidental). While making him a fugitive from the law, it doesn't establish him as a new racketeer in the City. So you actually have a good question. The recent film version with Seth Rogen has its Britt Reid laying out the whole idea of the two of them pretending to be criminals to be able to deal with the real ones. That's about the only way I can see it happening, but as I said neither Universal nor NOW went that route.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.