The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

The Grim Adventures of the Kids Next Door

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Nov 11, 2007 on Cartoon Network

• Best. Crossover. Ever.

There is something virtually nourishing about The Grim Adventures Of The Kids Next Door, whose tone is set at the start when Billy disobeys his dad's order not to put on his lucky pants. The tone is amplified when Mandy holds Numbuh One hostage and forces him to watch Fred Fredburger (which had me in stitches).

Granted, the Kids Next Door's agenda is as totalitarianism as they make the adult world to be, but Mandy's dystopic ideals make the Delightful Children look utterly charming. And Abby Lincoln (Numbuh Five) proves why I think she should have been the KND leader. She's smart in a way Numbuh One isn't (in fact, she and Mandy are the only bright bulbs on the porch), and she's courageous in a way many KND operatives wish they were. Numbuh One's alliance with Grim is an uneasy one, as it should be, as they have to fight off the Delightful Children's self-made Grim and Mandy's battlecraft all in the same tilt.

It's not a happy-ever-after ending, but a fall-down funny one, which is all we could possibly ask for a wonderfully out-of-control crossover.