The Halls of Ivy

CBS (ended 1955)

The Halls of Ivy Fan Reviews (2)

6.2
  • An excellent series that was too smart for television.

I've seen a grand total of one episode of this series in my lifetime, on a DVD that included episodes of two other classic series from that era. It should be shown in syndication, but I don't know if it ever has been. It was a bit high-brow for some viewers, which is why it didn't last long on television, although it did well as a radio series in the early 1950s with the same cast, at least Ronald Colman and the charming Benita Hume. They were husband and wife both on and off screen. Colman's character, Doctor William Todhunter Hall, was president of Ivy College, a small midwestern college, and Hume starred as his wife, Victoria, a former musical comedy star in her native Great Brirain. She often got involved in her husband's situations at the college. It was considered a sitcom, but was ahead of its time in that it dealt with serious topics, such as racial prejudice. I've heard several episodes on MP3, and many of these episodes were later adapted to the TV series. If it was too smart for TV audiences in the 50s, there is probably no chance for exposure to a wide audience now, considering the low standards of today's audiences, but I can hope.