The Highwayman

Billionaire Body Club

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 15, 1988 on NBC

7.8
  • When bodies are found drained of blood and missing organs, Highwayman joins forces with a cop desperate to save her sister, to try and put a stop to a twisted surgeon, who is selling body parts and new identities to the rich. Not my favourite episode...

"Billionaire Body Club" should be a good episode. No, it IS a good episode, reasonably. But for whatever reason, coming after the excellent "Summer of 45" and "Send in the Clones", it just seems like such a comedown.

This was actually the first episode of the series to be produced, though not designed as the first to be aired, as Jetto also has his replacement truck from "Road Lord" in this one.

This episode features a lot more of D.C. that usual. From his usual one or two brief scenes in the average episode, he has a lot of screen time in this one; he even gets to go up in the chopper with Highway and guest-girl-of-the-week.

The story, on paper, is very good – a twisted surgeon who is stealing body parts and using them in the rich and criminal to give them new identities. And to an extent, it is good on screen too. But for whatever reason, I was never fully able to get into this one. It just didn't seem as tight as some of the (short lived) show's best offerings; it seemed drawn out in places, and didn't have the usual air of mystery. As it was the first regular episode produced, I wonder if they were still struggling to find their footing.

It does have some good moments (the opening sequence of the dead girl's body appearing from the grave really scared me as a child), and the climatic chase, to try and stop the bloodthirsty doctor in time, is pretty good, but this one just didn't do it as much for me, and it lacked the urgency such a story needed.
    It does have its good points, but isn't one of the best instalments. I give this episode 8 out of 10.