The Highwayman

Send in the Clones

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 08, 1988 on NBC

• Highway meets a curious but friendly, muscular young man named Mac. But soon after, Mac is snatched away by a mysterious army unit. As Highway investigates what has happened to his new friend, he finds that Mac is actually a clone. Another great ep...

Although the previous episode, the excellent "Summer of 45", generally ranks as my favourite episode of 'The Highwayman', "Send in the Clones" in many ways comes in a close second.

It is said that this episode doubled as a backdoor pilot for a series based around the character of Mac, which would have been title 'McClone'. It is easy to see that it was designed as such, introducing Mac, the three villainous other clones, the sympathetic Dr. Lassen, and the Police Chief recovering from a mental breakdown. But, even though it didn't sell, unlike many other failed backdoor pilots, "Send in the Clones" thankfully still works as a great standalone episode.

There are some terrific action sequences in this one, including the park shootout, and later another shootout at the laser music show – which the audience all think is part of the act!

Things do feel a little strange when Highway and Jetto arrive in New York – we get many (then) current day vehicles and settings, as well as the obligatory full orchestral version of 'New York, New York'. Coming from a series that was set in the near but noticeably different future (sometimes with feel of maybe coming after some disaster of day of reckoning), this felt a little odd for the series. But it didn't spoil the overall setting of the episode any for me, and this setting was maybe as much down to setting the scene for the proposed 'McClone' series.

Of course, 'McClone' never made it to a series, and 'The Highwayman' itself only continued for a few more episodes. We shall never know if 'Highwayman' had continued for longer, if Mac would ever have made a return appearance.

As I say at the top, not quite my absolute favourite 'Highwayman' story, but in my personal Top 3, and a really good episode in itself. I give "Send in the Clones" a top scoring 10 out of 10.