The Highwayman

'Til Death Duel Us Part

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 18, 1988 on NBC

7.3
  • Highway breaks his old mentor, Cody Teague, out of jail, to prove that Cody was not responsible for the armed holdup that he insists he didn't t commit – and Jetto is send out to track them down and bring them in. Not my favourite, but some good action...

This review contains spoilers.

The plot of "'Til Death Duel Us Part" uses two of the well-trodden action-adventure concepts - the prison break out, and the "two friends forced to duel against each other" (both in terms of Highway and Jetto, and later Highway and Cody).

This episode is notable for being almost completely absent of Highway's truck (although the next episode, "Summer of '45", only features Jetto's truck).

This probably isn't one of my favourite episodes of 'The Highwayman' plot-wise, but it certainly does hold some of the short-lives series' best action sequences. The helicopter pursuit, between Highway's truck's chopper, and the pursuing Jetto, through the valley, is spectacular, and there are also some great moments as Highway and Cody zip around in the dune buggy.

Later, after Jetto finally corners Highway and Cody, and Highway convinces him to let them free to at least have a chance of clearing Cody, the plot starts to lag. The stop-off for Cody to pick up a photo of his young daughter doesn't really add anything to the story, and it might come as little surprise that Cody later turns out to be a bad guy after all. Then there is another oft-used plot cliché, of the two friends challenging each other to a duel – all while dialogue is delivered, too!

Things pick up a little as Cody heads to retrieve the stolen loot, but don't match the sharpness of the first half of the story. The ultimate cowboy-like street shootout between Highway and Cody is pretty well done though – and unless I'm wrong, they used the 'Miami Vice' night-time trick of watering the streets to make the surrounding lighting reflect off of it.

Although I had many of the episodes surviving in various states from when my ITV region broadcast them in the late 1980s (see my previous reviews on the series for more on this), "'Till Death..." is one of the ones that didn't survive. I know we had it recorded at some point, but my father had long since taped over it. So this was one of the episodes that I was unfamiliar until I managed to get an unofficial collector's copy in the mid-2000s.

All-in-all, a fair episode, but not perfect (and as I say, not one of my absolute favourites of the series). The later stages of this story let it down from being a outstanding, but the early scenes and the good action sequences still let me give this one a fair 9 out of 10.