The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

BBC Two (ended 1981)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Fan Reviews (12)

• Absurdly funny series that I still thank my lucky stars for stumbling into all these years later.

I truly adore good comedy. And The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy is great comedy!
    I clearly recall the evening I happened upon this show: I was ironing an outfit for an evening out and absent-mindedly flipping stations. I ended on a PBS station, and left it on as I went about my chores. Then I overheard the name "Slartibartfast", giggled, and thought, "you must be high!" Well, I was, but this got my attention. I watched the screen intently, forgetting about the ironing, the date, everything, until the show was over. I couldn't believe what I'd just seen—and I knew it wasn't an American show—and despaired of ever seeing anything like it again!

I did a reality check later with friends ('cause I was thinking I'd hallucinated the whole thing!) who told me about the radio show, the Douglas Adams books, and the television show (turns out that I'd stumbled into the 3rd show: There was more to see! There was stuff to read! I *love* reading! There is a God!). Happy camper I, I travelled with Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, and went on to learn the answer to life, the universe, and everything; discovered the misery that is Marvin the Android; enjoyed the Restaurant at the End of the Universe; and was awed by the cunning of mice and dolphins. It was a lovely, zany trip, and I invite anyone looking to enjoy something quite fun to take it as well. You will not regret it.