The Honeymooners

CBS (ended 1978)

Kartist

The Honeymooners Fan Reviews (24)

• How sweet it was!

This classic 1950s television comedy show set the bar for many others like it in the decades to come. The made a theatrical motion picture out of it, but it was a total fairlure both with the critics and at the box office manly because it simply wasn't the same without the joint comical genius of Jackie Gleason and Art Carney. My father has a complete collection of DVDs of the entire series in his collection, and it still never fails to crack him, myself and my family up with laughter. The Honeymooners is by far one of the greatest TV comedies of all time.
  • Honeymooners is the best TV viewing of its time. I also enjoy the opening when the fireworks begin and the moon shines over Brookly, NY. I love the image of Ralph's face on the moon. GREAT STUFF!!!

One of the funniest episodes is when Norton takes Ralph's temperature and uses a lighter to read the result on the thermometer of 111*F. I still laugh out loud. Another favorite is when Ralph and Norton are going on a fishing trip without Trixie and Alice. I also love the apartment Norton and Trixie had. Very fashionably up-to-date with a beautiful couch, TV and the greatest wall paper. Norton always bought everything "on time". The bank wouldn't give him any more credit. The Kramdon's apartment was alway dreary even though Alice kept it neat. I think she should have washed the walls-- it really needed it. Trixie was always taking food from the Kramdon's. Apples, oranges, onions. Trixie was ahead of her time wearing a bracelet that resembles the Tiffany heart bracelet that almost every women owns.
  • One of the best ...

I honestly don't think a person can claim to be a classic comedy fan unless they have The Honeymooners down as one of their favourites.

The show is a classic. Perfect in every way. The cast was brilliant, the storylines were brilliant, and even with the limitations of filming in that era the show still stands the test of time. Not many others can claim that.

If you have never watched this show, you should definitely check it out. You might find yourself becoming a huge fan of it as well.
  • Love, Brooklyn style.

When I was a teenager back in the 70's, growing up in Brooklyn, here was the late-night lineup on Channel 11 WPIX:
    11:00-The Odd Couple
    11:30-The Honeymooners
    12:00-The Twilight Zone
    12:30-Perry Mason

Talk about a great lineup. The first to make an impression was The Honeymooners. Set in Brooklyn on Chauncey Street (which is nowhere near Bensonhurst) Ralph a hard working busdriver lives in apartment with Alice the housewife. They are friends with the Norton's upstairs, Ed the sewar worker and his wife Trixie. There's also from time to time Alice's mother making an appearence and a few character actors that play more than one role. This show has every formula used, so many hijinks involved and what usually happens is Ralph does something boneheaded, Ed is in on it or gives equally knuckleheaded advice and the games are underway. Alice is greatly annoyed, Trixie says not to be too harsh on Ralph and Alice and Ralph make up at the end. Week after 39 weeks, almost the same, but oh so funny.

Today's Curb Your Enthusiasm is similar but that show is a little more high brow. Perhaps the Honeymooners charm is that Ralph is always well meaning but he has "A Biiiiiiig Mouth!" He berates Alice too and threatens her...Bang-Zoom...You're going to the moon!" Of course Ed is always causing trouble in his unknowing way, Ralph yells at him too, "Cut It Out Norton!" (Rats, it won't let me type them in CAPS) But in the end Ralph always tells Alice "Baby, you're the Greatest!" That's another thing. These are all memorable lines that have entered the vernacular. This is the mark of a classic show. Additionally and perhaps because there are only 39 (39 regularly played not including the lost episodes) episodes I can recite the lines before the cast can.

Even today, Channel 11 will have a Honeymooners marathon on either Christmas or New Years and we all sit around and laugh uproariously. This is one of the best shows ever.
  • This show was wonderfully funny with a very talented cast of actors! It makes me laugh until this day! There will never be another like it!

I've been watching this show for as long as I can remember and I'm now 24 years old! It invokes a lot of wonderful memories of me watching it late at night when I was a small boy! I love everything about this show from its trivia to its behind the scenes commentary. This show will never be forgotten!!!
  • Pow right in the kisser!

The Honeymooners was a true classic, Frankly it was the oldest show I've watched more then a few times. It was a very good show which people often mistoke for a show about an abusive husband but it was more about Ralph being all talk because his wife Alice was the one who really wears the pants the the family. This show has been the inspiration for many shows down the track, like the Flintstones and curtain Warner bro's cartoons and even more recently you see it's inspiration in such shows as The Simpsons and Family Guy (which have directly referenced it). I think it's a must see, for it was ahead of it's time and a true inspiration.
  • this was one of the best show of all time in my opion

the honey mooners even though i was not alive by far when this show was out but i saw old eps and bougth the dvds of the show. i enjoyed this show alot and it is about two familys that are tring to meet ends meat after the depresion. it had alot of funny moments in the show between the two familys like the two husbands would argue the one that jakie gelson played and his wife alice would always fight some times over things and disputes and he would always say one of thess days to the moon alice. it was a good show and you can see alot of it in the flintstones and the simpsons and others that are made to day. and that is why i gave the show a8
  • Ahead of it's time for comedy

The Honeymooners is a million times funnier than most modern day comedies. It was that good..way ahead of it's time comedy-wise. Most shows from that era had such soft and cheezy-like comedy that you found kind of boring after awhile. every episode of this show keeps you laughing out loud though. I love watching the more traditional husband and wife roles too. It reminds me of a simpler time.
  • To the moon Alice to the moon.

This show is really funny even though I wasnt alive I still really enjoy it. I watch it every New Years Day with my family and it is one of the reasons why New years is such a cool holiday. My favorite characters are Ed and Ralph. It is funny because of all the trouble Ralph gets into with his big mouth. Ralph and Ed are always trying to use easy get rich schemes that dont work. Ed is always going along with Ralphs plans and getting into trouble with his wife. I really enjoy this show and I cant wait to see it every New Years Day.
  • This series shows how a man mantains a good marriage, even when they do have ups and downs.

This is the best show that I have ever seen! There are times that whenever I do watch it, it teaches me something valuable from it (for example, learning from someone else's mistakes so that one doesn't do it again; taking stock of oneself; and the like). But there are also jokes that I can't stop laughing about, and indeed it does fit perfectly in this show. I think Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows make a very good couple! Too bad I only get to see this series once a year (every New Years day, of course!) You've got to watch this.
  • The series is about Ralph and Alice Kremden living in a very small apartment, and have a very funny annoying neighber Ed Norton. And Ralph trys to do something right that would get him in trouble. A very funny and a classic show.

If I had one wish about this series, I would wish that they make more then 39 episodes. Sadly it lasted for one year. Every time I watch this, I am on the floor laughing hard. Jackie Gleason does a great job playing Ralph and Art Carney was very funny as Ed Norton. My favorite episode they made that kept me laughing was when Alice\'s mother was giving away the ending for the play that Ralph was going to see and he came unglue and yell,\" You are a BLABBERMOUTH!\" He kept saying it to make her leave, That was one of the best classic of this show.
  • Set the standard for all sitcoms to shoot for.

It is great that we can still watch reruns of this classic and brilliant series. Mr. Gleason had a wonderful comic timing and delivery (developed in vaudeville to some degree), and Art Carney, Joyce Randolph and Audrey Meadows were perfect as the foil and the straight men (women). Each of them could carry scenes all on their own. What began as sketches on 'The Jackie Gleason Show', turned TV comedy on its head. Other sitcoms of the day mostly had a wisecracking lead comedian, with little supporting cast. 'I Love Lucy' clearly borrowed from the ideas and situations explored by this show, with amazing success, of course. After that, every single sitcom that deals with family life owes an immense debt. The character development was far ahead of any other show of its time, and the idea of episodes with recurring threads and continuing story development was virtually unheard of until 'The Honeymooners'. Even shows that are produced now borrow heavily from many of the themes and situations that the Kramdens and the Nortons, neighbors and friends, conjured up.
  • One of these days, people are going to realize how smart this show was.

As other reviews have stated, this show is a classic. But one of the most overlooked parts of the show is the progressiveness. Instead of a show where the woman is seen as a happy inferior and father knows best, this show challenged the that view with a woman who is, at many times, the smart one in the relationship. At times, Ralph will spout off with his theories about the man being the king of his castle and Alice will either make him fall back or wait and let him fail.
    Alice started the trend of the smart "back-talking" woman that would latter be used in a pletora of other shows from The Cosby Show to The King of Queens.
    Alice... You're the greatest.
  • The Honeymooners is an old classic sitcom from 1950 through 1970 consisting of about 9 seasons of laughter and mentertainment! Its about a man named Ralph Kramden who lives with his wife Alice in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NY along with their caring and lova

I absolutely LUV the Honeymooners. I thought Jackie Gleason did an amazing job as Ralph on set. Art Carney who played Norton kept me going every second. You never know what LOL thing he would do next. Out of all the Classic sitcoms, I think this one rocks them all!!!
  • One of the funniest shows of all time.

The Honeymooners is one of the funniest shows of all time. Ralph and Ed are hilarious together, with all of their crazy schemes. This is pure comedy, you really can't get better than this. Although this show was wayyyy before my time, it is one of my favorites and never hesitates to make me laugh hysterically. Ralph's crazy catch phrases and Norton's stupidity make the show what it is. The Honeymooners was definitely one of the best shows in its time period. You know it's a great show when people still watch it decades after it was aired on tv. The Honeymooners is without a doubt a classic.
  • In a modernizing of radio's "The Bickersons", a couple who really love each other, tend to fight quite a bit about money, the mother in law and pretty much everything else under the sun.

I never seem to get tired of Ralph & Ed & Trixie & Alice. They are like comfort food. No matter how down I'm feeling, I can tune in to my favorite "classic 39" episode and find myself laughing out of my socks.

Whether its the chef of the future, Ralph and Ed going over to charm the pretty wife of superior, or thinking that they've been left a fortune by an elderly lady ... I can never get enough; laughing at the same jokes on the 2,000th viewing of any given episode. Seinfield was funny, but this show was hilarious.
  • Only one word describes this show, "CLASSIC"

The Honeymooners has to be just about the finest show ever created for Television. When TV Guide made their list of the 50 best shows of all time, the people who voted Seinfeld #1 have no idea what they were doing and obviously never watched this and many other classic comedys from the golden age of TV.
    Jackie Gleason was a legend and and true comedian and proved it every show what a talented man he was.

Art Carney was the classic second banana who could deliver the one-liners like no one else. Even to this day, In my honmble opinion there has been so show to equal the quality, talent, and pure enjoyment that what displayed from this classic show.
    It would be nearly impossible for me to come up with just a single favorite episode as they are equally as funny
  • Bus driver Ralph Kramden, and wife Alice, along with their neihbors, Ed and Trixi Norton, try to make ends meet, while living in a Bensonhurst, tenement, circa 1950's

This is absolutely, one of the funniest, most believable comedy's, ever shown on t.v., the characters are so fully realized, that you almost forget it's just a show!, Ralphs never ending quest, for a get rich - quick scheme, and the way he pulls his naive, good-hearted neihbor Ed Norton into these schemes, is hilarious, as is his level headed wife's Alice attempts to bring him down to earth, there are just too many classic episodes, to give a decent overview here, but the show, really captures the feeling of what it must have been like to live in New York at the time. I really love their Bensonhurst accent's...e.g.. sperl(spoil), and "why do you get to flip the kern (coin). absolutely a must watch show!
  • Jackie Gleason's Ralph Kramden will live on forever.

"The Quiz Show" in which Kramden and Norton plot to have Kramden learn every song ever written, simply is the best 30 minutes in the history of television. Kramdens womeful look when he loses the contest is forever embedded in my memory. The interplay between Kramden and Norton, as they rehearse, with Norton's "warmup" of Suwanee river is priceless.
  • Classic 39.

I'm just as big a fan of the Classic 39 episodes as anyone else. Television has yet to produce two funnier characters than Ralph and Ed. But could someone explain to me why the Kramdens had to live in such a barren apartment? Ralph was a bus driver for God's sake. They earn decent money. Ralph and Alice could of had a couch and a tv at the very least. There were no kids to support. Did they even have a radio? Gimme a break.
  • the word is marathon

love your show and you mr. judge mathis
  • It's a real riot.

"Oh , you're a riot Alice." Oh how true that was Ralph Kramden, how true that was. What a riot this show was and what amazing talent. This is the only show on Tv.com that I have given a 10 rating and I didn't do that lightly. To me this was the best show hands down that was ever shown on TV. If you don't agree with me then at least it was the best comedy ever. I have never laughed as hard or as much as I did when I watched this show. Not only was the writing excellent, but the acting was superb. I think it's safe to say we won't see such a talented cast on tv again.
    To this day, after having watched each of the classic 39 episodes dozens of times each it still makes me laugh hard. To me, this is the definition of the rating of "10". A show that you can watch over and over and it still entertains.
  • The Classic 39 were the best.

My local UPN station ran this show in 1996 and after watching one episode, I got hooked. I personally like the Classic 39 from 1955-1956. The picture was clear and not blurry at times and I don't understand why it didn't do too well that caused Jackie to go back to sketches. Of course that was 30 years before my time, but I wish they could have had more episodes in that format.

My favorite episode is "T'was that Night Before Christmas." Even though Ralph's yelling was always funny, he didn't do it in this episode, which I personally liked. I liked it when Jackie, Art, Audrey, and Joyce stepped out of character to wish the audience a Merry Christmas.
  • Classic, funny, poignant, and somewhat ahead of its time.

As a kid in the 80s I was, for some unknown reason, a fan of these "classic" sitcoms, like Sid Caesar, Burns and Allen, etc. Though I enjoyed them all, the humor in most of those seemed too set-up, too predictable, maybe even too "Vaudeville-ian" at times. The thing that stood out in the Honeymooners to me was its sense of spontaneity. The humor seemed more natural and realistic than those others. I think, for shows of that time period, it had a bit more wit to it. Sometimes the jokes were a little more subtle, which adds an idea of intelligence to them, that they're not just "banana peel" jokes.
    Although all shows at the time were "family friendly," this one did have a bit more of an edge to it, without being mean spirited.
CW