The Immortal (1970) Forums

ABC (ended 1971)

The Immortal

tvking1

[1]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 42
    I don't know if I watched this show in its original run on ABC, but I did watch it a few times on Sci-Fi during the 90s, when that channel aired quality old programs, instead of the boring stuff they mostly air today. The concept of a drifter on the run, whether to or from something, is one that fascinates me. It's in the mold of shows like The Fugitive, Kung Fu, and Run For Your Life. It would be nice to see it again. I doubt there's much demand for a DVD release, but absent that I wish Sci-Fi would wise up and air it again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marvelfan89

[2]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 39

I would disagree with the current programming as boring over the years: Farscape, Doctor Who, BSG, Stargate...those are a couple of nice scifi shows.

You know the Immortal wasn't really a SciFi show. There are like zero special effects and for many episodes, the whole part about the guy being Immortal is only a side story. It's kind of like more like the Fugitive as others have pointed out. It's not SciFi but it does make a good action show of course.

tvking1

[3]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 42
    marvelfan89 wrote:

I would disagree with the current programming as boring over the years: Farscape, Doctor Who, BSG, Stargate...those are a couple of nice scifi shows.

To each his own. My main beef is that they no longer showcase the classic sci-fi shows, except for The Twilight Zone, which is a great show (although not all episodes are sci-fi, either). They used to have shows like The Invisible Man, Science Fiction Theatre, Kolchak: The Night Stalker,The Incredible Hulk, and The Outer Limits, besides The Immortal.

Also, I don't think The Immortal should be entirely removed from the sci-fi genre just because it lacked special effects. The movie Rosemary's Baby lacked special effects, but it's still considered a horror movie. The concept in The Immortal was that Ben Richards (Christipher George) was "gifted" with a rare blood condition that made him immune to disease and aging. In my opinion, that qualifies as science fiction, although I would agree that otherwise it closely resembles The Fugitive.

marvelfan89

[4]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 39
    tvking1 wrote:
    marvelfan89 wrote:

To each his own. My main beef is that they no longer showcase the classic sci-fi shows, except for The Twilight Zone, which is a great show (although not all episodes are sci-fi, either). They used to have shows like The Invisible Man, Science Fiction Theatre, Kolchak: The Night Stalker,The Incredible Hulk, and The Outer Limits, besides The Immortal.

Also, I don't think The Immortal should be entirely removed from the sci-fi genre just because it lacked special effects. The movie Rosemary's Baby lacked special effects, but it's still considered a horror movie. The concept in The Immortal was that Ben Richards (Christipher George) was "gifted" with a rare blood condition that made him immune to disease and aging. In my opinion, that qualifies as science fiction, although I would agree that otherwise it closely resembles The Fugitive.

To each his own like you said. Horror and SciFi are different genres. You don't need special effects for something to be classified as a horror. A SciFi show/movie requires a significant amount of things. It has several distinct things going for that distinguishes it as SciFi. One of them is special effects.Ignoring that for a second, there's a difference between having a concept and executing it well. I don't think the show executes the idea to make you really believe everything that's going on. Not too mention if it so closely resembles another show that isn't even SciFi to begin with. The other shows you mentioned are true bred SciFi shows. Not just because of the effects but the shows were unique for the most part and standing on their own. If this show would be remade, it be much different today. This show in my opinion isn't then isn't quite SciFi. Others will disagree which is all right. It's still entertaining. I might rewatch the whole thing again to see if I change my mind. I love what SciFi has done. If they hadn't dropped their old schedule, those new shows would never happen. Plus it's not a big deal at least for me those old shows you mentioned are easily available to get. Some of them moved to another-ChillerTv. Can't expect a network to show the same shows over and over. Look at NickatNite.