The Inside

New Girl in Town

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jun 08, 2005 on FOX

• The episode that got me hooked.

More often than not, a series must not be judged by their pilot because the writers/producers try to show everything a series is supposed to be into a single episode of 45 minutes in order to gain a spot in the channel/network. Pilots tend to be horrible, especially for crime dramas because along with an interesting case, they must establish the characters and their personalities.

The opening scenes showcase a woman who has been brutally murdered, half her face peeled off and her hands stripped of the skin and the muscle. We find out that the victim is a team profiler, and we meet Rebecca Locke, the rookie member of the team. Why don't know why she's recruited as she has very little field experience.

Virgil Webster, the squad supervisor, is a no-nonsense man with no limits who is determined to catch the killers and will push people until they break in order to do so. Along with Rebecca and Web, we are also introduced Paul, the 'conscience' of the squad, Melody, who brings unexpected humor to the series and Danny, who is sarcastic yet dedicated to his job.

Rebecca is by far my favorite character. She's effortlessly beautiful but exudes a certain mystery and tenseness to her, which makes the viewers hunger for more of her backstory, which we filled in later on in the episode. She's intelligent (she figures that there is another victim and finds the link between the victims) but nervous and so obviously a rookie, passing out when she sees the torture tape of the killer's latest victim and nearly vomits on a dead body.

We get a scene where Rebecca poses as bait for the serial killer, wearing sexy clothes with obvious intent to show off her figure, giving the male viewers a gratuitous eye-candy moment. It could have bothered me but I figured it was there for the sake of the pilot's acceptance for the male demographic. A perfect example of why I say never judge a show by it's pilot, just like you should never judge a book by it's cover.

However, that is probably one of the only things I found negative about this excellent introduction to a series which just continued to get better. The episode kept me on the edge of my seat and being the impatient person I am I was kept interested the whole way through due to the fast pace.

The way in which the crimes are solved sets apart the series from other procedural dramas, the fact of relying on psychology rather than solely on a decomposing body and a crime scene make it very interesting and it obliges the writers to come up with clever and more creative ways to find a the murderer.

Later on in the episode, Rebecca's dark past which she & Web kept under wraps comes to a head when Paul figures out who she is: she was abducted when she was 10 for several months a la Elizabeth Smart. The details on her kidnapping are wary and make you crave for more of the story but it is a theme which is touched on throughout the whole series, from Rebecca hallucinating him and revealing the story of her abduction when she's undercover to discovering he's actually alive, on the hunt for his next victim.

I recommend watching this episode with an open mind and watch it more than once. I'm sure most people will find it enjoyable.
  • Not bad for a pilot episode

The pilot wasn't bad at all, I actually found myself liking the episode after the first 15 minutes.

As soon as Rebecca Locke walked in & started talking to Webster I was reminded of Profiler.

Rebecca Locke is a mysterious character and clearly she has a past and I'm already curious to know what her story is.

Paul seems to like her even though when she walked in at the beginning he clearly was annoyed thta his deceased co-worker was replaced so quickly, but as he got to know her, he started to respect her & clearly was very overpretective towards her too.

Webster seems to be connected to her somehow, and I think I'll be watching mostly to find out how he knows her so well.

I think I'm gonna likr this series.
  • a bit mysterious. we're introduced to a team of cops, working on important cases. characters are interesting. the whole set up seemed quite cool, how webster picked ppl on his team because he needed something from them. rebecca locke is a new agent that j

it was quite enticing. i was interested the whole episode. websters was eccentric, rebecca a bit mysterious, paul stubborn and curious. i felt sexual tension between paul and rebecca. a great show. cant wait to see the rest of the season. the show seems to have a bright future. i liked how rebecca went undercover in the first episode. paul seems to be into her...either that or hes being protective of her...they have either a father/daughter relationship or a bf/gf thing going on...i can't figure it out. there seems to be sexual tension...but rebecca looks like a baby:P. and pauls married so.....lets just wait and see what happens!
  • This first episode kept me interested. I feel this show has a lot of potential.

The cast looks promising. I've always liked Peter Coyote's acting and he seems to be perfectly cast as Supervisory Agent Virgil "Web" Webster.
    First episodes are all about introducing characters and setting up storylines for the rest of the season/series. We'll certainly learn more about Agent Locke's past and her connection to Webster.

I want to see more!
  • Minear and Co. fall short of meeting expectations in new series.

4.5
    Perhaps they would do best to stick to straight sci-fi fantasy. It's not like television is short on cop shows.

To put it bluntly, The Inside is not good.

Despite Minear's considerably skilled direction, it's surprising that it's actually the dialogue which was the show's weakest aspect. Only Paul (Jay Harrington) had some quality lines. Even Adam Baldwin, who thrived on both "Firefly" and "Angel", was nothing more than the cynicism of previous characters Jayne Cobb and Marcus Hamilton, minus the personality.

Maybe profiling shows just don't do anything for me as they tend to put way too much emphasis on silly psychobable and almost none on crafting smart mysteries. While The Inside certainly pushes the limit of network-TV gore, it does little else to be anything other than Profiler 2: Still Profilin'.
  • Not too bad as a pilot, but there's definitely a lot more room for improvement.

It was said that the revamped pilot was written in 48 hours when Tim Minear was handed the reigns to "The Inside". If there was any truth in that, then I'm really excited to see what the team of writers has in store.

As for the pilot itself, acting was compentent, although I'd like to see more screentime from Danny Love as well as the other members of the team...But I suppose that will come with time. It was nicely paced and I loved the dark and grainy look. And I loved the last scene with Web delivering what was the line of the night.

Oh, one last note...I chuckled when I saw the "Wolfram Securities" patch on Gunther's uniform. Tim said that he'll be sticking in more references from 'Angel', so I'll be looking forward to those.
  • Not too bad but much room for improvement (writing and acting)

I did like this new show. Story line was captivating enough but maybe a bit rushed and not so well written; in one episode the whole serial killer plot was exposed and finished off. Could have been spread out over several more interesting and captivating episodes ... I liked the images and colours of the show(nice!) .. Acting was not bad but also not great. The girl was not completely believable. Again I think we see prove of the fact that the quality of a show comes or goes with the quality of the writers: that was average here, so an average pilot... But overall not too bad either ... who knows.. Looking forward to tonight !
  • Not bad for a Pilot. It had some interesting bits, and even though there's clearly room for improvement, it kept me interested, and I'm curious to see more.

In an interview on the official site, Peter Coyote says "It's Silence of the Lambs meet The X-Files". I'm not so sure what he means by X-Files (apart from the obvious profiler reference; it reminded me more of Millennium) but the Silence of the Lambs thing is blatantly obvious. Young woman is recruited for her 'special abilities' into a top FBI profiling team, and is henceforth sent right into the thick of things.
    The episode itself was good even though a little predictable, but I like the grittiness and dark tones, and I can see this becoming a personal favourite with time.