The Inside

New Girl in Town

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jun 08, 2005 on FOX

• The episode that got me hooked.

More often than not, a series must not be judged by their pilot because the writers/producers try to show everything a series is supposed to be into a single episode of 45 minutes in order to gain a spot in the channel/network. Pilots tend to be horrible, especially for crime dramas because along with an interesting case, they must establish the characters and their personalities.

The opening scenes showcase a woman who has been brutally murdered, half her face peeled off and her hands stripped of the skin and the muscle. We find out that the victim is a team profiler, and we meet Rebecca Locke, the rookie member of the team. Why don't know why she's recruited as she has very little field experience.

Virgil Webster, the squad supervisor, is a no-nonsense man with no limits who is determined to catch the killers and will push people until they break in order to do so. Along with Rebecca and Web, we are also introduced Paul, the 'conscience' of the squad, Melody, who brings unexpected humor to the series and Danny, who is sarcastic yet dedicated to his job.

Rebecca is by far my favorite character. She's effortlessly beautiful but exudes a certain mystery and tenseness to her, which makes the viewers hunger for more of her backstory, which we filled in later on in the episode. She's intelligent (she figures that there is another victim and finds the link between the victims) but nervous and so obviously a rookie, passing out when she sees the torture tape of the killer's latest victim and nearly vomits on a dead body.

We get a scene where Rebecca poses as bait for the serial killer, wearing sexy clothes with obvious intent to show off her figure, giving the male viewers a gratuitous eye-candy moment. It could have bothered me but I figured it was there for the sake of the pilot's acceptance for the male demographic. A perfect example of why I say never judge a show by it's pilot, just like you should never judge a book by it's cover.

However, that is probably one of the only things I found negative about this excellent introduction to a series which just continued to get better. The episode kept me on the edge of my seat and being the impatient person I am I was kept interested the whole way through due to the fast pace.

The way in which the crimes are solved sets apart the series from other procedural dramas, the fact of relying on psychology rather than solely on a decomposing body and a crime scene make it very interesting and it obliges the writers to come up with clever and more creative ways to find a the murderer.

Later on in the episode, Rebecca's dark past which she & Web kept under wraps comes to a head when Paul figures out who she is: she was abducted when she was 10 for several months a la Elizabeth Smart. The details on her kidnapping are wary and make you crave for more of the story but it is a theme which is touched on throughout the whole series, from Rebecca hallucinating him and revealing the story of her abduction when she's undercover to discovering he's actually alive, on the hunt for his next victim.

I recommend watching this episode with an open mind and watch it more than once. I'm sure most people will find it enjoyable.