The Inside

FOX (ended 2005)

Gino24

The Inside Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• A very good show

I really enjoyed The Inside. I looked forward to it each week and once again Fox got rid of a good show. They done the same thing to Point Pleasant and North Shore. Why can\'t they let good shows be??? I just wonder what else they will ditch in the future.
  • BRING THIS SHOW BACK!!!

My 17 year old granddaughter and I thoroughly enjoyed this show. We looked forward to the night it was on TV. I can't imagine why it failed because it was gripping, exciting, fascinating - I could go on and on. If FOX won't bring it back, I hope some other station will put it on schedule.
  • I loved this show..I got stuck with that crappy dance show instead of this one!!

I loved how this was CSI-esk and the actors and storyline was, although not completely original, super entertaining. I definately made the time to watch this one. I was on the edge of my seat every week.

I hate that it\'s gone. And without warning all of a sudden just gone. So annoying. Bring it back!!!
  • what a mess! i can't believe this one went down the pan. it would be so rude not to bring this back but what are the chances of that after so few episodes?

this show was amazing. there were no duff episodes for me, peter coyote was awesome and now it's gone! one thing that bugged me in that "joss whedon" kinda way is that all the characters are diverse and create a team with a wide range of skills - somehow i can't believe this would actually be true of a serial killer profile team of the fbi but i can forgive it because it made for some interesting watching. the writing, directing and acting was so dark that it gave the show an edge i don't often see. x-files and john doe kinda touched on some of that stuff but this show did it really well and i hope that it'll find its way back to the screen at some point soon.
  • The Inside was a pleasantly surprising diversion this summer. Early on, the show needed a little work, but by the third episode, it seemed the characters were gelling and the plotlines became more and more engaging. Too bad Fox blew it again and has can

The Inside was a pleasantly surprising diversion this summer. Early on, the show needed a little work, but by the third episode, it seemed the characters were gelling and the plotlines became more and more engaging. Too bad Fox blew it again and has caneclled the show. guess we'll all have to wait for a DVD release to see what else was in store.
  • This dark crime drama beats the crap out of other crime procedurals.

I must admit I was not very impressed when FOX first announced that some show called "The Inside" was going to be premiering midseason. But then it was about an undercover cop at a high school. Didn't they already do that with "21 Jump Street"?

But then Tim Minear took control of the show, the brilliant man from Joss Whedon's "Angel" and the BRILLIANT Fox dramedy "Wonderfalls". He took a less-than-stellar show and completely changed it, and made a masterpiece.

"The Inside" is a dark, gritty, and daring drama looking into the twisted minds of serial killers. Rachel Nichols plays a haunted woman who's frightening experience as a child with a kidnapper has given her the gift of being able to look into the minds of killer. She now works for the FBI. Her boss is Agent "Virgil" Web (Peter Coyote, "The 4400"), who is basically an evil man working on the right side. He will go to any lengths to get what he wants and capture criminals.

The other cast members are great. Adam Baldwin, who many know as Krycek on "The X-Files", and Katie Finneran, who co-starred in "Wonderfalls".

The show often has disturbing and violent images but it's very captivating and intriguing. I'm glad FOX made this show, even though it's now canceled. Let's hope it gets released on DVD soon, because FOX makes killer boxsets.
  • This was one of the most interesting shows on TV. They were not afraid of anything. Once you watch a show for while they are all the same. This was not that way at all.

• I'm happy to have discovered this new TV show. The Inside is an excellent show and I looked forward to each new episode; please hurry and produce new episodes to air.

The Inside is a great show with a twist on other shows in this genre, such as Law and Order (Special Victims Unit) or Without a Trace. The Inside presents unusual story lines which are intriguing yet a bit disturbing. This new show keeps your interest peeked.

Good cast; the characters compliment each other. Peter Coyote’s character (Supervisory Agent Virgil Webster) is certainly a stand-out and he plays it superbly; stoic, focused, hard, seemingly uncaring; yet one gets the feeling that deep down he cares more than most and that’s why this character puts on his façade (to stay sane?).

Rachel Nichols’ character (Special Agent Rebecca Locke) premise certainly stands out. Her long abduction as a child brings a different perspective of thinking to her job and an understanding of twisted minds that no one else possesses. Well done! It’s a wonder that she keeps it as together as she does.

Both Supervisory Agent Virgil Webster and Special Agent Rebecca Locke have uncanny abilities of ‘reading’ and understanding devious actions and the thought process of criminal intentions and the criminally unbalanced mind. Their insight made for the perfect title of the show.

The plots of each show are amazing; the writers of this show are either a little off-the-wall or do an awful lot of research with law enforcement agencies (maybe a little of the former but mostly the latter).

Compliments on a show well done. I look forward to many more new episodes.
  • The Inside is appreciated by it's fans but not appreciated by FOX. Because of a lack of advertising, it's sure to be another show added on to the huge list of good shows FOX has cancelled. The Inside has a great cast, good writing and has the potential to

The Inside is appreciated by it's fans but not appreciated by FOX. Because of a lack of advertising, it's sure to be another show added on to the huge list of good shows FOX has cancelled. The Inside has a great cast, good writing and has the potential to be great. Tonight, 6/22/05, is the Insides 3rd episode. I'm hoping that somehow enough of the people who have watched it spread the word enough to keep it on the air at least until the end of it's first season.
  • This was a network show that kept the summer TV viewing interesting. It was dark and in some episodes had the viewer wondering what's next. It was probably too dark for FOX and could have been more acceptable on FX. They said they would show the remaing e

Rachel Nichols performance as the lead landed her a job on Alias while Peter Coyote was superb in manipulating his team members to solve the murders. There was not enough time to explore the inner demos of all of the characters. Even with all of the violence in each show, it was showing what kind of world we live in. The show just it made more interesting to see. Of course its only for entertainment purposes and that's what TV is for. Some episodes revealed the guilty party sooner than others and there would always be a twist at the end.
  • Tim Minear ("Angel", "Firefly", "Wonderfalls") this time brings us a dark show dealing with dark and terrifying subjects – but it may be even more terifying and hard to watch than most in its genre because of the questions it makes one ask of yourself.

I don’t watch crime shows.

I’ve had friends and family enthusiastically declare the virtues of the Law and Orders, CSIs, and Cold Cases out there.

I’ve watched some episodes, and I’ll concede that they are often very well written, and contain mysteries that draw you in, and involve you in the process as you try to solve the mystery before the on-screen detectives do.

But there is one major quality that I look for in a good dramatic series, and it is this quality that keeps me coming back. And it is also this quality, that if lacking, will keep me from returning.

And that is real, believable characters who actually grow, change and are affected in ways that real people are affected.

There are new and interesting villains in these crime shows each week, and often times we learn far more about the minds of these criminals in one episode than we learn about Our Heroic Detectives throughout the entire run of the series.

Why? Because these shows are not about The Heroes – they are about the cases, the criminals.

But how does working a this constantly flowing crew of criminal minds affect those who hunt them down? What are the detectives' reasons for wanting to hunt them down? Why are they good at what they do?

The popular Crime of the Week shows rarely spend time discussing these things – the show is designed to be so self-contained that anyone could watch any episode at any time without having to worry about where the detectives are in their emotional and personal lives. The showrunner can then cram in as much Mystery as they can in an episode, leaving little or no room for the telling the Detectives’ stories. And when for a change the creators of the show actually do tell the story of a Main Character, they are advertised as ‘Very Special Episodes.”

And as I said, that’s perfectly fine. It’s just not for me.

But now there comes The Inside, the new crime drama developed by Tim Minear.

Now I admit – had Tim Minear’s name not been attatched, this show would have never made a blip on my radar, and would have been passed by without my having given it a second thought.

But Tim Minear is involved, and that makes all the difference.
    Minear, for those who aren’t familiar with him, is famous for creating absolutely brilliant groundbreaking literary television that becomes swiftly cancelled far before the shows even get a chance to reach their audience.

The longest-running Tim Minear show was Angel, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer spin-off co-run by Buffy creator Joss Whedon.

Minear’s next show was another team up with Whedon, the ridiculously good “Space Western” Firefly, which Fox not only aired its episodes out of order, but also failed to properly promote, resulting in a cancellation before it even had a chance to find it’s audience. The critics and fans loved the show with a passion, and due to the exposure from its DVD release, more Firefly fans are growing every day. And as of the writing of this, a theatrical sequel to the series, Serenity, is making such ridiculously positive buzz from advance screenings that distributors are considering moving the release date forward.

The most recent Minear show to pass into the ether was Wonderfalls. Co-created with Dead Like Me’s Bryan Fuller, this work of brilliance once again fell victim to Fox’s poor scheduling and promotion. After airing only four episodes (of the completed 13), the show was cancelled, forcing the public to wait once again to discover this show on DVD.

If there’s something in common with all of the Tim Minear shows, it’s a healthy portion of heart and emotional truth mixed throughout with unmatched killer wit. They are truly shows that make you howl with laughter in one moment, and shed tears of emotional empathy the next.

Minear features Real People in Otherworldy Situations. Elements of the fantastic are always involved in his shows, but we believe, because the people who inhabit these worlds are so real to us. We laugh with them, we cry when they’re in pain.

Tim makes shows about people we care about.

Which brings us to The Inside, a show without a single drop of the fantastic - but because of how truthful it is, it makes us yearn for that element of escape - but in a way that keeps you enthralled to the end.

It’s a show about darkness. It’s a show about unimaginable things that human being are capable of, and what it takes to understand how these things are done, and why.

And even more important, it’s a show about tempering one’s weaknesses into strengths.

There exists in The Inside a story arc that is going to be explored and developed throughout the run of the show (something else usually lacking in the Crime of the Weeks -COtWs-).

This show features an ensemble cast of characters brought together as a specialized autonomous unit of the Los Angeles Violent Crimes division of the FBI. Each character has been specially chosen by the ringleader for a specific purpose, for special qualities or experiences they’ve had that have been burned deep into who they are. We don’t know what all of them have been through as the show begins. But we do know that the experiences have been painful.

The ringleader is shouted down at one point by one of his agents, with the accusation that he uses his agents’ pain for his advantage.

His response isn't a defense or denial - it's a chilling confirmation. he claims that that the particular agent, “has a gift…forged in pain. And she wants me to use her.”

It is a dark show dealing with dark and terrifying subjects – but it may be even more terifying and hard to watch than most in its genre because of the questions it makes one ask of yourself.

Most people like to bury terrible experiences they’ve had. This show asks you not to bury them, but to use them, manipulate them, take advantage of them. Let your pain and experiences be the Crucible in which you are perfected.

Pain leads to purification. Without firsthand knowledge of the Dark, the Light won’t appear half as brilliant.
  • Never disapointed with an episode!

This show always leaves me on the end of my seat wanting more.I am never dissapointed with an episode! The actors could be a little bit better but they could also be alot worse. It takes the extra step where other shows are afraid to go.If you like gore and crime shows such as csi the inside is for you.
  • Investigations Unit solves special cases and with that find new inmates for forensic units

A new show that is great. What a suprise!
    The dark atmosphere that is created is good. The development of the characters could be interesting.
    So, a great show. Hopefully FOX does not cancel it (just for once please!!!!) , as they did with good shows in the past way too often.
  • Inside the Thriller!

Watching "The Inside" is like watching a short major motion picture thriller every week. Episodes remind me of hits like "Silence of the Lambs","Taking Lives", "Saw", James Patterson's "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider" - to name just a few. If you want your blood pumping and to be sitting at the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen next - this is the show for you!

Sure some of the cases are really out of the box - but that's the genius in the writing. Plus, they've neatly explained why they only handle the craziest cases - their boss (played brilliantly by Peter Coyote) picks only the most "interesting" cases. Think what you want, but it's more plausible than an author running into a murder every where she goes, a la "Murder She Wrote" or a medical examiner running around the city solving crimes, a la "Crossing Jordan".

So enjoy the Thrill why you can.

More thoughts...
    Too bad FOX couldn't figure out how to successfully use this show. Lead in shows like Pamela Anderson's "Stacked" and "So You Think You Can Dance" are just stupid decisions. I'm sure if you began the 8 o'clock hour with "The Inside", "Stacked" and "So You Think You Can Dance" would've lost viewers too. They're just not compatible.
  • There really isn't so much to say about this show, except it's too similar to things that've been done before - and much worse - it's too similar from episode to episode...

Although being filmed good and played very good, I don't think this show is made of the stuff that's build to last... Too many expected plot turns, too many times agent Locke (played unarguably good by Rachel Nichols) will find herself captive instead of captor when trying to get "in the heads" of criminals, while having flashbacks of her own past... and I simply don't buy this. In a show of such a competitive genre, I would at least expect a better dose of originality (such that existed in the pilot episode) between episodes...!

I hope in time, the show will rise above revisiting the same plot angles over and over again - and realise its promising potential.
  • Having seen 3 shows so far this show does not show much promise to turn into a winner.

It\'s cliche after cliche: the hardass boss, the jealousy between the agents, boring dialogue and even the camerawork seems to be a poorman\'s version of what we are now used to since CSI.

Weakest point however is the acting of Rachel Nichols. She looks like a porcelain doll in most scenes and sometimes just sits there "acting" as one. In one scene in Episode two she just sat there as a puppet. No expression, no movement and totally laughable.
    She walks as a wooden plank and there is absolutely no interaction with her co-stars.

The storylines are reheated from all kinds of shows and have a thrillfactor of 0.

All in all a show that will need major surgery to survive and my first suggestion is to get rid of the porcelain doll.
  • Worth watching. Excellent new program!

I've watched this show from the beginning and it just keeps getting better. Its a different angle to the recent trends of the likes of csi.

Kinda reminds me of X-files in a way but without the aliens!

Also lets face it over the summer period there aren't many shows to chose from. This is difinately one of the best ones to watch this summer.
  • With uninspired characters and faceless drama, The Inside doesn't live up to it's potential.

6.8
    The Inisde certainly has an interesting premise, a rookie agent (Rebecca Locke) whose haunting past helps her understand the minds of serial killers which makes her pretty much the perfect detective, but The Inside fails in many other aspects that make a drama good. The Inside has a good plot and storyline, but most of the characters are uninteresting or unconvincing. Rebecca Locke sure has a traumatic past, but her performance when reflecting upon that past makes you question if she really went through all that. Drawing any excitement from The Inside is a challenge, so your better off without it. I have about 25 different shows on the My Shows list right here on TV.com, The Inside is the first show I'm taking off that list.
  • Dark, brutal, fearless and great!!!!! Focuses on the psyche of people. One of the best shows I've seen. But it's not for everybody.

"The Inside" is one of the best shows I've seen so far.

I have to say that its a lot like all the good guys catch the bad guys kinds of shows out there (And there are a lot of them). But this show focuses on the psyche of the people (the killers, the victims and sometimes even the FBI agents). That's what makes this show different. CSI focuses on crime scene and evidence. X-files are all about supernatural (or weird). NYPD is all about police work.

It unconventional. It's not afraid to go into the deepest and darkest parts of the human mind. Even to the extent of to he mind of a little child. It's informatinve. It tells you of what the killer was thinking, why the killer came to be and how the killer would kill because of his/her past. It's interesting. Every show would focus on another part of the human mind. It's well acted and well portrayed. All the casts have their different areas of expertise so they would compliment each other. This show has it all.

Only downside, it's not for everybody. It's for people unafraid to sleep in the dark. I give it 2-3 seasons before it runs out of good ideas.

I hope FOX would keep on doing this show. There are a lot of rumors that it would be cancelled. I won't be surprised.

====natove====
  • The Inside - Wednesday Night Suspense/Drama, Surrounds the Behavioural Science Unit of the FBI.

The Inside is a new show on the cutting edge of suspenseful drama. Its cut to the quick dark humour and silent intellect make it one of the best shows I have seen lately. Although some may say that the content is similar to other shows I beg to differ. The direction this show is taking in regards to unusual investigative techniques and that "spidey-sense" that all of us have is refreshing. The suspense is intriguing and leaves me wanting to know more, not just about the plot but about the characters. I look forward to seeing this show come in to its own very soon, and rightfully so.
  • I'm a sucker for shows tinted green.

I'm 4 episodes into this new show and I want to see more -- more of the show and more in the show.

I love crime drama and this has all the elements. I like the look and the feel of "The Inside" and, so far, it keeps my attention. Despite a few blips here and there, the dialog is tight and real. And it's always a treat when a show sticks to the plot and we don't get a lot of soap opera between the characters. I also like that it doesn't shield us from the violence, yet doesn't make us wade in ankle deep.

I'm a big fan of Peter Coyote and it's nice to see Jay Harrington has dusted "Coupling" off himself. Adam Baldwin is always a rush -- ever since his turn as Hamilton on "Angel" he kinda scares me, but I adore the way his presence makes me wanna discover his private joke.

So what more do I want? Well, so far every episode has been predictable. I don't mind a little implausibility in the plot if it leaves me gasping, but so far i've just been sighing. There just haven't been any surprises.

Since we're only four episodes in, I'll forgive them that, so far, all the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes. Katie Finneran just seems to be along for the ride. Let's hope they soon give her something more to be than states-the-obvious girl. And I'm hoping there's more to Coyote's Webster than the done-to-death hardass boss who's on your side when it counts. Harrington's self-righteous Ryan may also start to grate soon if he doesn't get an edge.

The biggest problem for me, however, is Rebecca Locke. I just don't buy her. Perhaps if she didn't look like Kate Moss in high school it would make her more believeable as an FBI field agent. Or perhaps if Rachel Nichols didn't play her as if she's just had Botox injections and still has no feeling in her face...

I guess the only character/actor that intrigues me in this show is Adam Baldwin's Danny Love. Baldwin's perpetual inner smirk makes Love the only character that seems alive in this dreary FBI office. He's certainly the only one of these folks you'd wanna hang out with after work.

Whatever it's shortcomings, The Inside is still better television than most and I'm hoping the characters and suspense will develop as the show matures. I think there's great potential here -- or maybe I'm just a sucker for FBI shows tinted green.
  • Really original drama, great writing, well produced show - I just hope fox doesnt cancel this like they have cancelled so many other good shows before they have been given a chance to prove themselves. Time will tell.

Really original drama, great writing, well produced show. This is a great mix of darker story lines with fresh approach . The characters are becoming more interesting each week. - I just hope fox doesnt cancel this like they have cancelled so many other good shows before they have been given a chance to prove themselves. Time will tell.
  • It was too good to continue...

Today on tvguide.com\'s Ask Ausiello
    Question: Have you heard whether or not Fox\'s The Inside will come back? — Tonya

Ausiello: The show\'s toast. Series creator Tim Minear said so himself on his personal website.

the show has been stopped at 13 episodes with no episodes picked up after.
    It was only too early to close a good show just as it started...
  • Finally the goriest cases brought to TV! It's like Silence of the Lambs, if Clarice was used as bait, a lot.

At first I have to say, this show wasn't the best. It was rough around the edges. Fox brought in Tim Minear and company to save the show from becoming 21 Jumpstreet returns. Instead we are offered a glimpse inside the violent crimes unit of the FBI. The title is more than just a little metaphor. The show is about being inside the unit, inside the head of criminals and inside the heart and head of rookie agent Rebecca Locke. Rebecca, formerly Becky george abductee, was traumatized as a young girl by being kidnapped and held for like 18 months by a nut job. Her will to survive saved her, but has always left her a bit on the margins of her peers. Enter Web, the guy who runs the FBI Violent Crimes unit in LA, who swoops up and takes Rebecca for his own unit (even though she apaprently failed a psych test). The first couple of episodes revolved around making Rebecca the bait to catch a bad guy. But as of late the show seems to be evolving into something that is not only watchable, but a show that makes you want Rebecca to find her real self. With the aid of the other agents (brilliantly played by Adam Baldwin (Firefly), Katie Finneran (Wonderfalls), and Jay Harrington) Rebecca will discover things not only about the most dangerous criminals (mostly seems to be serial killers interspersed with exceptionally grim crimes) but about herself. Also the effects and makeup on this show are amazing and I would argue sometimes are better than CSI's at their best.
    Hopefully fox will reconsider this show, apparently it is already on the chopping block. Maybe without Dancing with the Stars the ratings will improve and we will all get to find out what's really on The Inside.
  • Peter Coyote is in this?

3.3
    I love procedurals. I love to watch the process of investigating crime. I enjoy learning about the characters and motive. I love the dialogue and the action.

This show's writers need to watch some more CBS. The dialogue is strained and unrealistic, as are the situations. The characters are boring and one-dimensional.

I even gave the show a chance and watched more than one episode. That's 3 hours I will never get back.
  • I like it...even if no one else does.

The show is pretty good. I like watching it every week. When it first started, I figured it would get cancelled (not b/c of the lack of being a good show...but b/c it seems as though FOX likes cancelling good shows...I liked Point Pleasant!) The characters are very good...most of which are played by not so well known actors, but good nonetheless. The storylines are written pretty well - I love the crime scenes & the wit of the team.

I hope that FOX renews it for another season...keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Think that the show has potential but hasn’t quite found its footing yet.

7.9
    Think that the show has potential but hasn’t quite found its footing yet.

Katie Finneran and Adam Baldwin are masters of the comic asides and am so glad to see them again after loving them in Wonderfalls and Firefly respectively. Of course this is part of the problem… I love their humor but it makes for some sharp breaks from the dark subject matter of the show.

The show also seems to be trying to show character growth (mostly with Rachel Nichols’ character) and while this has been acompished in some episiodes without things getting too cheesy it doesn’t really show from episode to episode – for the most part you could mix up their order and not really be able to tell a difference.

Like I said though, it had potential… and really, what else is their to watch during the summer?
  • When I started watching the first episode, I was thinking, \"Please don\'t let this be like CSI....\". After all, it starts off with a murder, and then in come the team of experts. Maybe it\'s just me and my current infactuation with CSI NY.

Anyway, I was skeptical about this show as it progressed throughout the first episode. I didn\'t really know what kind of show it was or what kind of show they wanted it to be. Sure I knew it had something to do with a blond woman solving crimes, but is there anything special about the show?

First episode impressions:
    After watching the first episode, I got a clear idea of which direction this show is heading in (which is good): It focuses on psychological problems of human beings. From the main characters to the suspects and victims, they all have their own problems and dark pasts. The show gives you a sense of how troubled and complicated people really are.

Did I enjoy it? Thinking back, the beginning of the show did catch my attention. I wanted to know more about the story and characters. This could be dued to the \'huh?\' moments this show sometimes has. You can tell the writers put these \'surprises\' or \'huh?\' moments to interest the viewers. It did work, but sometimes I feel they overdo it. And this results in the plot not making a lot of sense. (but then again, which show makes perfect sense?)

Bottom line: It\'s an enjoyable show, the directing is good, music is good, it\'s picking up as each episode continues. My only complaint is the actress who plays the main character, Rebecca, she wasn\'t very convincing in the first episode (she holds the gun like she's holding a vegetable). Luckily, she seems to be improving each episode.

Can\'t say if this show will be a hit, but it does have the potential to be if the plot doens\'t get old. And I just feel that this show isn't that original so they better have some interesting things in store for us in the coming episodes.

• The Inside best show of the summer! Reality T.V. is so over rated.

This show is amazing, so I\'m sure Fox will cancel it soon. Everyone should watch it while they can. The writting is superb Tim Minear, Jane,David Fury. What more could you ask for oh I know. A cast that is enchanting, well rounded and just plain fantastic. The things Adam Baldwin can get across without saying a word!! Its gritty, not for those with a week stomache. I love this show!
  • Pretty good serial criminal cases so far. Needs work on character development.

This show has some potential, but the characters need a little "fleshing out" before it can be considered really competitive with the top procedural dramas. So far, the cases have been pretty compelling, but the flow is occasionally jumpy -- kind of like they had sixty minutes of show and had to fit it in the 43 minutes that they get after commercials, credits, and the like and the person doing the editing used a random number generator to determine what footage would be removed.
1 2 3