The Inside

FOX (ended 2005)

Gino24

The Inside Fan Reviews (83)

• Having seen 3 shows so far this show does not show much promise to turn into a winner.

It\'s cliche after cliche: the hardass boss, the jealousy between the agents, boring dialogue and even the camerawork seems to be a poorman\'s version of what we are now used to since CSI.

Weakest point however is the acting of Rachel Nichols. She looks like a porcelain doll in most scenes and sometimes just sits there "acting" as one. In one scene in Episode two she just sat there as a puppet. No expression, no movement and totally laughable.
    She walks as a wooden plank and there is absolutely no interaction with her co-stars.

The storylines are reheated from all kinds of shows and have a thrillfactor of 0.

All in all a show that will need major surgery to survive and my first suggestion is to get rid of the porcelain doll.
  • Peter Coyote is in this?

3.3
    I love procedurals. I love to watch the process of investigating crime. I enjoy learning about the characters and motive. I love the dialogue and the action.

This show's writers need to watch some more CBS. The dialogue is strained and unrealistic, as are the situations. The characters are boring and one-dimensional.

I even gave the show a chance and watched more than one episode. That's 3 hours I will never get back.
  • CSI/Cold Cases knock off.

Man it seems like the networks have a thing for blue tint and single episode crime thrillers. They borrow all the techniques that CSI pioneered in terms of camera work and plot layouts, but instead of using science, they use good'ole fashioned detective work to solve their crimes.

Instead of Grissom you have another oldster running the team. You have your square jawed jock, the nice guy, and the pretty lil girl with a past. The characters are all cookie cutter and the plots are unoriginal. I find myself predicting who did it about 15 minutes in (as soon as they introduce the evil-doer as some benign secondary character that is odd but doesn't appear harmful.

The show is pretty boring because of its unoriginality. If you haven't watched a lot of other network TV drams over the past few years then you may find this show pretty good, but anyone who watches TV on a regular basis will find it a decent time filler and not very useful beyond that.
  • Disappointing addition to a pretty full field.

I am a fan of crime dramas, but found The Inside extremely disappointing. To be fair, I may be spoiled by Criminal Minds, but stacked up next to the latter, I found The Inside shallow and unsophisticated, with uninteresting characters and boring cases. Actual profiling is usually nonexistent and when present at all mostly meaningless nonsense. Even worse, especially for a crime drama, I found outcomes extremely predictable (maybe because of my "training" from Criminal Minds.

If you enjoyed The Inside at all, I strongly recommend you try out Criminal Minds. Even with the recent departure of Mandy Patinkin, it has far more to offer than The Inside.
  • With uninspired characters and faceless drama, The Inside doesn't live up to it's potential.

6.8
    The Inisde certainly has an interesting premise, a rookie agent (Rebecca Locke) whose haunting past helps her understand the minds of serial killers which makes her pretty much the perfect detective, but The Inside fails in many other aspects that make a drama good. The Inside has a good plot and storyline, but most of the characters are uninteresting or unconvincing. Rebecca Locke sure has a traumatic past, but her performance when reflecting upon that past makes you question if she really went through all that. Drawing any excitement from The Inside is a challenge, so your better off without it. I have about 25 different shows on the My Shows list right here on TV.com, The Inside is the first show I'm taking off that list.
  • good looking show, but stories are sometimes a bit far fetched

the show looks really good. good actors and nice and dark settings.

but the stories are sometimes really far fetched and unbelievable. not the crimes as such, but the ease with which they are solved. it is all a bit much luck or magic for my taste. nothing which couldn't be fixed though.
  • There really isn't so much to say about this show, except it's too similar to things that've been done before - and much worse - it's too similar from episode to episode...

Although being filmed good and played very good, I don't think this show is made of the stuff that's build to last... Too many expected plot turns, too many times agent Locke (played unarguably good by Rachel Nichols) will find herself captive instead of captor when trying to get "in the heads" of criminals, while having flashbacks of her own past... and I simply don't buy this. In a show of such a competitive genre, I would at least expect a better dose of originality (such that existed in the pilot episode) between episodes...!

I hope in time, the show will rise above revisiting the same plot angles over and over again - and realise its promising potential.
  • I'm a sucker for shows tinted green.

I'm 4 episodes into this new show and I want to see more -- more of the show and more in the show.

I love crime drama and this has all the elements. I like the look and the feel of "The Inside" and, so far, it keeps my attention. Despite a few blips here and there, the dialog is tight and real. And it's always a treat when a show sticks to the plot and we don't get a lot of soap opera between the characters. I also like that it doesn't shield us from the violence, yet doesn't make us wade in ankle deep.

I'm a big fan of Peter Coyote and it's nice to see Jay Harrington has dusted "Coupling" off himself. Adam Baldwin is always a rush -- ever since his turn as Hamilton on "Angel" he kinda scares me, but I adore the way his presence makes me wanna discover his private joke.

So what more do I want? Well, so far every episode has been predictable. I don't mind a little implausibility in the plot if it leaves me gasping, but so far i've just been sighing. There just haven't been any surprises.

Since we're only four episodes in, I'll forgive them that, so far, all the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes. Katie Finneran just seems to be along for the ride. Let's hope they soon give her something more to be than states-the-obvious girl. And I'm hoping there's more to Coyote's Webster than the done-to-death hardass boss who's on your side when it counts. Harrington's self-righteous Ryan may also start to grate soon if he doesn't get an edge.

The biggest problem for me, however, is Rebecca Locke. I just don't buy her. Perhaps if she didn't look like Kate Moss in high school it would make her more believeable as an FBI field agent. Or perhaps if Rachel Nichols didn't play her as if she's just had Botox injections and still has no feeling in her face...

I guess the only character/actor that intrigues me in this show is Adam Baldwin's Danny Love. Baldwin's perpetual inner smirk makes Love the only character that seems alive in this dreary FBI office. He's certainly the only one of these folks you'd wanna hang out with after work.

Whatever it's shortcomings, The Inside is still better television than most and I'm hoping the characters and suspense will develop as the show matures. I think there's great potential here -- or maybe I'm just a sucker for FBI shows tinted green.
  • Pretty good serial criminal cases so far. Needs work on character development.

This show has some potential, but the characters need a little "fleshing out" before it can be considered really competitive with the top procedural dramas. So far, the cases have been pretty compelling, but the flow is occasionally jumpy -- kind of like they had sixty minutes of show and had to fit it in the 43 minutes that they get after commercials, credits, and the like and the person doing the editing used a random number generator to determine what footage would be removed.
  • It isn't perfect but it's definately better than most shows out there. It's smart and complex but not so complex that you get lost in the story. If this show makes it, you might be saying Law and Order, CSI, and The Inside.

Rebecca Locke(played by Rachel Nichols) isn't your average blonde. Sure she may look innocent and pretty but she has a troubled past and a sharp mind. Groomed from the start to become a special agent for the violent crimes unit of the FBI she uses her troubled past which turns out to be her gift in order to find their suspects.

The violent crimes unit is rounded off by an excellent cast. Jay Harrington and Peter Coyote are excellent in their roles as Special Agent Paul Fattore and Supervisory Agent Virgil "Web" Webster, respectively. Adam Baldwin offers the tough guy of the group and sometimes gives a comical performance as Special Agent Danny Love. Katie Finneran stars as Special Agent Melody Sims and Nelsan Ellis stars as their tech geek Carter Howard.

Peter Coyote's performance in this show is excellent and sometimes the most common scene is chilling as he delivers his lines with that trademark voice of his.

I wish I could say the same about all the actors but the acting is alright. Sometimes it can get too serious, especially when Rebecca goes into her long analysis about the murderer of the week.

The writing is clever and like I said earlier is not so complex you get lost in the story. The crimes are interesting but you can only go so far with the serial murderer. Another way to look at it is that you have endless possibilities with serial murderers and criminals which gives the show even more potential. My only problem with the crimes is that they are wrapped up too quickly. I know its an hour long drama and with commercials they only have 42 minutes to tell their story but it seems that in most of the episodes you have this giant build up and everything is wrapped up at around minute 37.

We've seen this show before. It's not original but its innovative and definately not something you would want to watch if you're eating dinner. Hopefully FOX sees the true genius this show emits despite it's ratings and give it a shot in the fall. It would make an excellent compliment to a show like 24. If you're a fan of good, scripted television like a Law and Order or a CSI definately watch The Inside while you still can. Trust me you won't regret it.
  • The show is so dark and scary that it will probably be shut down, but i hope it dosent hapen bacause the show has realy good potential.

It wont become one of the best shows but if they cange a few thing it will defenitly become one in the middle.
  • Think that the show has potential but hasn’t quite found its footing yet.

7.9
    Think that the show has potential but hasn’t quite found its footing yet.

Katie Finneran and Adam Baldwin are masters of the comic asides and am so glad to see them again after loving them in Wonderfalls and Firefly respectively. Of course this is part of the problem… I love their humor but it makes for some sharp breaks from the dark subject matter of the show.

The show also seems to be trying to show character growth (mostly with Rachel Nichols’ character) and while this has been acompished in some episiodes without things getting too cheesy it doesn’t really show from episode to episode – for the most part you could mix up their order and not really be able to tell a difference.

Like I said though, it had potential… and really, what else is their to watch during the summer?
  • The first episode of The Inside was promising, and it was only just improving... and then: the almighty axe.

There are so many cop dramas out there these days, in varying shapes and forms, that I never know what to think when a new one pops up. I did decide to check it out though, since all the others shows were on summer-hiatus. I liked what I saw, even though there was definitely room for improvement. The characters seemed a bit stereotypical at first, but improved as the episodes went on. Peter Coyote was excellent, if a bit stiff; the quirky leading man with a past we have so come to expect from shows like this. It really was too bad they axed it; it was only just getting good.
  • Good storyline and a great show, please air the remaining episodes.

It is such a shame that a serie as good as this one does not get aired completely. I really would like to see the remaining episodes. Especially to see how the storyline would expand further. So what i would like to see is the rest of the episodes aired :)
  • When I started watching the first episode, I was thinking, \"Please don\'t let this be like CSI....\". After all, it starts off with a murder, and then in come the team of experts. Maybe it\'s just me and my current infactuation with CSI NY.

Anyway, I was skeptical about this show as it progressed throughout the first episode. I didn\'t really know what kind of show it was or what kind of show they wanted it to be. Sure I knew it had something to do with a blond woman solving crimes, but is there anything special about the show?

First episode impressions:
    After watching the first episode, I got a clear idea of which direction this show is heading in (which is good): It focuses on psychological problems of human beings. From the main characters to the suspects and victims, they all have their own problems and dark pasts. The show gives you a sense of how troubled and complicated people really are.

Did I enjoy it? Thinking back, the beginning of the show did catch my attention. I wanted to know more about the story and characters. This could be dued to the \'huh?\' moments this show sometimes has. You can tell the writers put these \'surprises\' or \'huh?\' moments to interest the viewers. It did work, but sometimes I feel they overdo it. And this results in the plot not making a lot of sense. (but then again, which show makes perfect sense?)

Bottom line: It\'s an enjoyable show, the directing is good, music is good, it\'s picking up as each episode continues. My only complaint is the actress who plays the main character, Rebecca, she wasn\'t very convincing in the first episode (she holds the gun like she's holding a vegetable). Luckily, she seems to be improving each episode.

Can\'t say if this show will be a hit, but it does have the potential to be if the plot doens\'t get old. And I just feel that this show isn't that original so they better have some interesting things in store for us in the coming episodes.

• It's a combo of Law&Order and CSI.

Don't really get it. It's a combo of Law&Order and CSI. Knowing FOX there going to cancel it. I mean last night episode was kinda good but is the entire show going to be about that one agent. Do any of the other FBI agents have a dark past. Who knows?
  • The Inside is a good show with an even better potential.

The first epsiode I saw was awsome for several reasons. First off, all the twists that occured throughout the single episode. I loved not knowing what was going to happen and when it did, being completley shocked. This "leader" of the crew is very intriguing and I am interested in learning of his past. I can see the characters growing on me and I can only hope fox dosen't seek fit to cancel this potentially amazing series! The second episode, I had a hard time staying on track with what was going on. This map be perhaps to my mind being in other places. I will continue to show up at wednesdays at 9 to watch The inside.
  • The Profiler is back!..wait, err..no. This is something new. But it's from Tim Minear and it has a great cast.. surely it can't be bad, right...?

Have to say, seeing the trailer for this show it instantly made me think of "the Profiler". Same kind of visuals, characters and even the basic plot. But that's not a bad thing. :)

The pilot episode itself consist of a quite good intro, some basic character introduction and then of course, some detective work. The characters seemed quite... odd at first, but they changed as the episode went on. The actors are good and it shows, but the characters were sort of inconsistent.
    ...And what's with the names?

The mood itself wasn't quite as dark as you'd expect from this kind of show. Sure, some pretty nasty stuff happened and the show tried to play with your mind, but something was still missing...
    But we are talking about Tim Minear here - I'm sure he knows how to fix it. But will he do that in time?

The only really bad thing about this was that there were no real underlying layers.. it was all pretty obvious. Like how Web only uses the people around him. I hope they scale back a bit and make it all more subtle because this show shows a lot of promise.
  • Quality Cast, great writers, nice idea; what could go wrong? Well, a few things actually. But nothing that can't be fixed...

The Inside started off as a '21 jump street' type show with the hero(Rachel Nichols) going undercover at a high school. While undercover her high school 'boyfriend' was murdered meaning she would have to try and solve his murder while staying undercover.

When Super-producer Tim (Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls) Minear took over the show to shoot a new pilot at FOX's request he dumped the format, keeping only Nichols in the lead.

He has been joined by writers Howard Gordon(24, The X Files), Jane Espenson(Buffy), and on some episodes later in the season: David Fury(Angel, Lost). Add to that a top cast including Peter Coyote and Adam Baldwin and it seemed a sure thing.

Maybe not...

What Minear has created in the pilot(which he wrote and directed) is mixed bag of a show.

Firstly, the positives: The cast are great. While Finneran's Sims and Ellis' Howard don't really get room to flex I'm sure they will later on. Meanwhile Baldwin spits out his lines in the hard boiled, impulsive way we came to enjoy during his stints on Firefly and Angel and Harrington shows that there is more to come from his character with a nicely withdrawn, but strong performance.

Coyote is distinctly slimy and calculating and will be one to watch but in the lead Nichols shows some good work as the slightly fragile, tormented new girl. It will be interesting to see her progress as she fits into the team.

Also positive the script, especially the dialogue which doesn't get too camp and padded.

The story kept me interested but a big problem is that the murders are just a bit too grisly. It maybe ok for now but I doubt everyone would like the same degree of gore week in week out. Also, the dialogue lacks some nice sharp Tim Minear wit.

There was a nice twist at the end and you have to wonder what Webster has in store for Locke but the show does need to lighten up just a bit, that's it's main fault. And it would also be good to work in some of Minear's trademark story arcs.

All in all a good show but it needs tucking and trimming(much like this review!) to really come good.
  • Dark, mysterious and disturbing in a good sense. A psychological drama that offers a view to the other side of humanity.

Shame that it ended with just one season -- not just that but it ended with such a cliff hanger episode finale that made me wishing for season 2 that never came. "The Inside" is a rare show that doesn't attempt to coat the world with icing but, instead, delves into the possibilities of what the human being is capable of doing. It not just about the crimes they investigate that makes you cringe but also of the characters and how they are being manipulated or they themselves manipulates others. The feel of the show is heavy so it's not for everyone but it's one of those shows that does not entertain in a way that you'll feel positively satisfied after watching it but it makes you wonder and question.
  • The Inside was a pleasantly surprising diversion this summer. Early on, the show needed a little work, but by the third episode, it seemed the characters were gelling and the plotlines became more and more engaging. Too bad Fox blew it again and has can

The Inside was a pleasantly surprising diversion this summer. Early on, the show needed a little work, but by the third episode, it seemed the characters were gelling and the plotlines became more and more engaging. Too bad Fox blew it again and has caneclled the show. guess we'll all have to wait for a DVD release to see what else was in store.
  • Unassuming program and grabs you and makes you a fan!

This was another program I didn't know too much about when I first watched it. And it's another homerun. It's fast paced, engaging and informative. I'm a sucker for any forensic program and by using the profiler side of it, it makes me feel part of the show. The story lines have been interesting and I look forward to it every week.
  • After watching the first episode , I can say that this show is pretty good. The first episode was excellent and the 2 nd episode was very interesting. This is a quite different then CSI though as it deals with extremely violent crimes only.

The show needs some fine tuning. I think the characters don't really show they work as a proper team as the CSI team does. The captain Virgil also needs work when it comes to working with his team. I think he is a little too cold then really needs to be.

The background of Rebecca could make the show much more interesting too. Im very curious as to what happenned to her when she was younger in those 18 months. It seems all of the team have somekind of history , infact it is said that they were all chosen for a reason.

With more violent and interesting episodes this show could make it in the big time.
  • This was a network show that kept the summer TV viewing interesting. It was dark and in some episodes had the viewer wondering what's next. It was probably too dark for FOX and could have been more acceptable on FX. They said they would show the remaing e

Rachel Nichols performance as the lead landed her a job on Alias while Peter Coyote was superb in manipulating his team members to solve the murders. There was not enough time to explore the inner demos of all of the characters. Even with all of the violence in each show, it was showing what kind of world we live in. The show just it made more interesting to see. Of course its only for entertainment purposes and that's what TV is for. Some episodes revealed the guilty party sooner than others and there would always be a twist at the end.
  • The Inside is appreciated by it's fans but not appreciated by FOX. Because of a lack of advertising, it's sure to be another show added on to the huge list of good shows FOX has cancelled. The Inside has a great cast, good writing and has the potential to

The Inside is appreciated by it's fans but not appreciated by FOX. Because of a lack of advertising, it's sure to be another show added on to the huge list of good shows FOX has cancelled. The Inside has a great cast, good writing and has the potential to be great. Tonight, 6/22/05, is the Insides 3rd episode. I'm hoping that somehow enough of the people who have watched it spread the word enough to keep it on the air at least until the end of it's first season.
  • Excellent first episode i think a hell of a lot better than what was originally planned, thank god for Tim Minear is all i can say

Excellent first episode i think a hell of a lot better than what was originally planned, thank god for Tim Minear is all i can say. However that being said I'm finding it very hard to see Katie Finnernan as anyone apart from the depressed lesbian lawyer from Wonderfalls LOL she's all serious i keep expecting her to do something stupid. Oh, also, does anyone think that maybe Adam Baldwin is beginning to be really type-casted? I mean he's basically reprising his role for Firefly... well almost. Well done Tim Minear, now I'm just waiting for Jane Espenson's episode, should be great!
  • A crime drama if there ever was one, with a cast of complex characters that quickly bring you into the gritty, dramatic world of serial killer profiling - and catching. A must see if you like crime dramas, dark comedy, or movies along the lines of 'Silenc

Definately one of my personal favorities for its quirky, and often dark, comedy. Rebecca Locke has a gift that can only be put as the show advertises - a gift forged in pain. The characters all seem to have their own hidden pasts that reel you in, if only to know what they are. Then you might stay for the lure of the new serial killer she and the rest of the team discover.

As said before, if you like crime shows, dramas, or anything with reference to the movie 'The Silence of the Lambs,' this is definately one to watch. You'll become a dedicated viewer after fifteen minutes.
  • Really original drama, great writing, well produced show - I just hope fox doesnt cancel this like they have cancelled so many other good shows before they have been given a chance to prove themselves. Time will tell.

Really original drama, great writing, well produced show. This is a great mix of darker story lines with fresh approach . The characters are becoming more interesting each week. - I just hope fox doesnt cancel this like they have cancelled so many other good shows before they have been given a chance to prove themselves. Time will tell.
  • I liked this show. No I loved it. The darkness of it and the intersting cases made it fun to watch. Although i never understood why there where 6 people on the team, when the show only centered around three of them.

I liked this show. No I loved it. The darkness of it and the intersting cases made it fun to watch. Although i never understood why there where 6 people on the team, when the show only centered around three of them. Anyway I hope Fox realizes what a good show they have canceled an bring it back. But then again Fox never realizes what great shows they cancel and they just don't care about the viewers (Tru Calling, John Doe, etc.)
    R.I.P
  • A very good show

I really enjoyed The Inside. I looked forward to it each week and once again Fox got rid of a good show. They done the same thing to Point Pleasant and North Shore. Why can\'t they let good shows be??? I just wonder what else they will ditch in the future.
< 1 2 3