The Inside

FOX (ended 2005)

Gino24

The Inside Fan Reviews (83)

• Quality Cast, great writers, nice idea; what could go wrong? Well, a few things actually. But nothing that can't be fixed...

The Inside started off as a '21 jump street' type show with the hero(Rachel Nichols) going undercover at a high school. While undercover her high school 'boyfriend' was murdered meaning she would have to try and solve his murder while staying undercover.

When Super-producer Tim (Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls) Minear took over the show to shoot a new pilot at FOX's request he dumped the format, keeping only Nichols in the lead.

He has been joined by writers Howard Gordon(24, The X Files), Jane Espenson(Buffy), and on some episodes later in the season: David Fury(Angel, Lost). Add to that a top cast including Peter Coyote and Adam Baldwin and it seemed a sure thing.

Maybe not...

What Minear has created in the pilot(which he wrote and directed) is mixed bag of a show.

Firstly, the positives: The cast are great. While Finneran's Sims and Ellis' Howard don't really get room to flex I'm sure they will later on. Meanwhile Baldwin spits out his lines in the hard boiled, impulsive way we came to enjoy during his stints on Firefly and Angel and Harrington shows that there is more to come from his character with a nicely withdrawn, but strong performance.

Coyote is distinctly slimy and calculating and will be one to watch but in the lead Nichols shows some good work as the slightly fragile, tormented new girl. It will be interesting to see her progress as she fits into the team.

Also positive the script, especially the dialogue which doesn't get too camp and padded.

The story kept me interested but a big problem is that the murders are just a bit too grisly. It maybe ok for now but I doubt everyone would like the same degree of gore week in week out. Also, the dialogue lacks some nice sharp Tim Minear wit.

There was a nice twist at the end and you have to wonder what Webster has in store for Locke but the show does need to lighten up just a bit, that's it's main fault. And it would also be good to work in some of Minear's trademark story arcs.

All in all a good show but it needs tucking and trimming(much like this review!) to really come good.
  • Excellent first episode i think a hell of a lot better than what was originally planned, thank god for Tim Minear is all i can say

Excellent first episode i think a hell of a lot better than what was originally planned, thank god for Tim Minear is all i can say. However that being said I'm finding it very hard to see Katie Finnernan as anyone apart from the depressed lesbian lawyer from Wonderfalls LOL she's all serious i keep expecting her to do something stupid. Oh, also, does anyone think that maybe Adam Baldwin is beginning to be really type-casted? I mean he's basically reprising his role for Firefly... well almost. Well done Tim Minear, now I'm just waiting for Jane Espenson's episode, should be great!
  • The Profiler is back!..wait, err..no. This is something new. But it's from Tim Minear and it has a great cast.. surely it can't be bad, right...?

Have to say, seeing the trailer for this show it instantly made me think of "the Profiler". Same kind of visuals, characters and even the basic plot. But that's not a bad thing. :)

The pilot episode itself consist of a quite good intro, some basic character introduction and then of course, some detective work. The characters seemed quite... odd at first, but they changed as the episode went on. The actors are good and it shows, but the characters were sort of inconsistent.
    ...And what's with the names?

The mood itself wasn't quite as dark as you'd expect from this kind of show. Sure, some pretty nasty stuff happened and the show tried to play with your mind, but something was still missing...
    But we are talking about Tim Minear here - I'm sure he knows how to fix it. But will he do that in time?

The only really bad thing about this was that there were no real underlying layers.. it was all pretty obvious. Like how Web only uses the people around him. I hope they scale back a bit and make it all more subtle because this show shows a lot of promise.
  • Finally! A crime show that focuses on the characters instead of just the cases, though it certainly delves into those as well.

Law & Order, CSI, NYPD Blue...the list could go on and on. Crime-mystery shows are one of the most popular genres on television today, thats for sure. I for one have never been one to enjoy them. Sure, I'll watch Law & Order if I can't find anything else on. The mysteries can be intriguing, but these kinds of shows just seem to lack a strong connection with their main characters. I never though too much about it, and just figured that was how shows like those had to be, since there focus was on the crimes. Not so!

Right after The Inside premiered (I ran across a preview for it on accident a few minutes before it came on, recognized it from previous weeks, and decided to give it a shot) I was completely in love. I went to Fox's website to check it all out and saw a message from (I think it was) one of the creators, saying how he wanted the show to be mainly driven by the characters. I was amazed! How great! And that's exactly what it's been doing. What's going to keep me coming back every week isn't what crime is going to happen next, but how Rebecca escaped the guy who kidnapped her when she was a girl, what Web is really all about (is that guy shrouded in mystery or what?), and you just know the other 3 have their own secrets, even if 2 of those characters haven't been so focused on just yet.

I hope Fox doesn't cancel this show. I think it could be a hit given the chance. It may not be the show of its type that everyone is used to, but maybe, just maybe, it's above them.
  • Few shows take your breath away anymore. Get the oxygen ready for this one.

Just two episodes in and we're hooked. Of course that often screams "cancel me", but this show just needs to hit the conversations at the water coolers. If you see it once, you're going to want more.
    Rachel Nichols is Rebecca Locke, formerly known as "Becky", the little girl who was abducted Elizabeth Smart style, out of her bed in the dead of night and kept by a bad man for 18 months. Surely there's more to discover about this, but right now it's just enough to justify the far off looks in her eyes, the deep-thought gems of wisdom she spouts and the determined, angry "I'm NOT Becky anymore!" comments that are more to convince herself she's no longer "helpless", despite being bait and a hair away from victimized in each episode so far.
    Peter Coyote, playing the head of this team of what we're quickly perceiving as misfits, is intense, powerful and just a little threatening in his role of Virgil "Web" Webster. He's not exactly a bad guy, but he's undoubtly not all that good either in taking some serious risks with our female, recovering victim. His insight and power are his redeeming qualities, seemingly all knowing, which means there's no risk actually being taken. We just don't know, yet.
    Adam Baldwin is Danny; Jay Harrington is Paul. At first the potential love interest between Rebecca and Paul is a 'duh' thing, but the complication is that he's married and his wife is about to have a baby. Still, it's not looking like "just friends" here.
    Danny, an ex-Marine and the show's most aggravating character (they all need one) has us already screaming at him to just shut up! Refreshingly, Coyote's character pretty much does this and it's possible to move on.
    So far we've seen someone kill themselves by stripping their own skin off (well, we see the graphic end result) and we've entered into S&M dens and watched, as graphically as prime time t.v. allows, a man-on-man rape. Just when you think it's been as disturbing as it gets, Rebecca, in releasing the sobbing, hurt male rape victim, coldly tells him how he'll "....be much stronger (for it)". Sure, he said this to her earlier as he was about to teach her why some people like S&M, but when he saw she was really frightened, he stopped, let her go and (he) ran. Hardly a bad enough guy to deserve all this.
    That's what this show is about though. Doing things we can't believe they're doing. Saying things we don't believe we're hearing. The characters are finding their positions, we're learning their quirks and t.v. is pushing the limits with both subject matter and graphics. The two things that two episodes have proven so far: 1. We can't wait to see Peter Coyote/his character and 2. From the moment it starts until the moment it ends, without even noticing it, we find we forget to breathe.
    It's been a long time since a show took our breath away. Welcome back.
  • The Inside is a good show with an even better potential.

The first epsiode I saw was awsome for several reasons. First off, all the twists that occured throughout the single episode. I loved not knowing what was going to happen and when it did, being completley shocked. This "leader" of the crew is very intriguing and I am interested in learning of his past. I can see the characters growing on me and I can only hope fox dosen't seek fit to cancel this potentially amazing series! The second episode, I had a hard time staying on track with what was going on. This map be perhaps to my mind being in other places. I will continue to show up at wednesdays at 9 to watch The inside.
  • Well made, well written, un-orginal, forgetable, here today - gone tomorrow.

When the show started I expected your average cop show (well, non-cop is the new standard - NCIS, Numb3rs, etc). What I found was a show that had a very powerful 1st episode which set the tone for the entire show. Honestly, I think they let us know too much about the background of the new agent too fast - it should have taken atleast till half way through the season to find out what made her tick.

I've noticed a trend for shows to get darker, more creative, more evil, especially more graphic - and The Inside doesn't disappoint in all these areas.

The thing that strikes me is the leader of these team of agents. He already seems to be the puppet-master and a character which could feed a lot of plot lines for the future.

My only issue about this show is what doesn't make it different from the other range of cop-like shows who chase down an even-badder group of criminals, which while these shows lead us to believe are extremely common, are actually extremely uncommon.

Other shows like Dead Like Me, Medium, Numb3rs have something new... The Inside doesn't really seem to offer all that much which is unique in the genre of cop tv.... but that isn't to say that it isn't good... it's just not unique.

In saying that... It will be one of the show I will watch at the moment - but honestly, might not be if there are too many other better shows.

...Skeeve
  • After watching the first episode , I can say that this show is pretty good. The first episode was excellent and the 2 nd episode was very interesting. This is a quite different then CSI though as it deals with extremely violent crimes only.

The show needs some fine tuning. I think the characters don't really show they work as a proper team as the CSI team does. The captain Virgil also needs work when it comes to working with his team. I think he is a little too cold then really needs to be.

The background of Rebecca could make the show much more interesting too. Im very curious as to what happenned to her when she was younger in those 18 months. It seems all of the team have somekind of history , infact it is said that they were all chosen for a reason.

With more violent and interesting episodes this show could make it in the big time.
  • I loved the last episode! 'Episode 3 The Pre-Filer'

The last episode was great! I loved the plot and all that. Very good. I liked the thought of a serial killer who kills serial killers before they can kill, heh. Its also fun to say, hehe. I just wish someone knew who the actor is who played The Pre-Filer.
  • Pre-Filer Deadly_Raven regarding the actor.

The Actor playing the "Pre-Filer" is Michael Emerson. Excellent actor. I really enjoyed this episode. I hope this show makes it. I agree Fox needs to make viewers aware this show is on or it will be cancelled like a couple other good Fox shows due to low ratings.
  • The show is so dark and scary that it will probably be shut down, but i hope it dosent hapen bacause the show has realy good potential.

It wont become one of the best shows but if they cange a few thing it will defenitly become one in the middle.
  • very good show but with shows like CSI already airing, people wont tune in cuz they think its some kind of copycat

I like the show and I dont know why it doesn't do better in the ratings...maybe the fact that the stupid show dancing with the stars is such a hit (and why???). anyway, the inside is a show i think should be a fox regular, and if that stupid dancing show wasnt on, it would be the most popular show right now...so far it has been better than i expected when i saw the previews, and i am hooked
  • It's a combo of Law&Order and CSI.

Don't really get it. It's a combo of Law&Order and CSI. Knowing FOX there going to cancel it. I mean last night episode was kinda good but is the entire show going to be about that one agent. Do any of the other FBI agents have a dark past. Who knows?
  • A crime drama if there ever was one, with a cast of complex characters that quickly bring you into the gritty, dramatic world of serial killer profiling - and catching. A must see if you like crime dramas, dark comedy, or movies along the lines of 'Silenc

Definately one of my personal favorities for its quirky, and often dark, comedy. Rebecca Locke has a gift that can only be put as the show advertises - a gift forged in pain. The characters all seem to have their own hidden pasts that reel you in, if only to know what they are. Then you might stay for the lure of the new serial killer she and the rest of the team discover.

As said before, if you like crime shows, dramas, or anything with reference to the movie 'The Silence of the Lambs,' this is definately one to watch. You'll become a dedicated viewer after fifteen minutes.
  • This show IS NOT like CSI and Law & Order. Its much edgier and much more interesting. Disturbing at times, but that's what sets it apart from the other crap. This show is great and very underappreciated!!!!

Like I said in the summary. I think this is one of the best crime dramas there is. CSI and Law & Order have like 100 shows. And they're all the same! This show is edgy, provocative, and slightly disturbing. Which makes it different from the rest, and more interesting. It doesn't feel like your watching "another boring 'ol crime drama" when you watch it. I highly suggest watching this show, and pray that FOX doesn't cancel it.
  • The Inside is totaly different than other murder shows.

FOX has a certified hit on its hands. The pilot was pretty good, but this last episode was awesome. The talents of Peter Coyote and Nichols is great casting and make this show what it is. The Pre-filer is telling us what is to come in this series, and will get better. Remember it is only on episode 3. Not everyone liked Seinfeld, The Simpsons or The OC after the first 3 episodes.
  • CSI/Cold Cases knock off.

Man it seems like the networks have a thing for blue tint and single episode crime thrillers. They borrow all the techniques that CSI pioneered in terms of camera work and plot layouts, but instead of using science, they use good'ole fashioned detective work to solve their crimes.

Instead of Grissom you have another oldster running the team. You have your square jawed jock, the nice guy, and the pretty lil girl with a past. The characters are all cookie cutter and the plots are unoriginal. I find myself predicting who did it about 15 minutes in (as soon as they introduce the evil-doer as some benign secondary character that is odd but doesn't appear harmful.

The show is pretty boring because of its unoriginality. If you haven't watched a lot of other network TV drams over the past few years then you may find this show pretty good, but anyone who watches TV on a regular basis will find it a decent time filler and not very useful beyond that.
  • good looking show, but stories are sometimes a bit far fetched

the show looks really good. good actors and nice and dark settings.

but the stories are sometimes really far fetched and unbelievable. not the crimes as such, but the ease with which they are solved. it is all a bit much luck or magic for my taste. nothing which couldn't be fixed though.
  • “The Inside” is a show that is too smart for its own good; and like any smart show on FOX, it will teeter on cancellation for its entire run.

“The Inside” is a throwback to shows that used to be called “mysteries.” Nowadays they’re called “procedural dramas,” and this clinical term epitomizes the sterility that now defines the subgenre. The “Law & Order” and “CSI” franchises have wondered so far into procedure that the mystery itself is no longer important. “The Inside” resembles “Crossing Jordan,” but it’s more akin to ‘90’s mysteries such as “Profiler” and “Millennium,” where the viewers were sucked into the dark world seemingly beyond our own. However, “The Inside” isn’t really like any of these shows.

Procedural dramas and the “serial killer” subgenre become essentially playgrounds for their high-concept. Even though we see the members of the FBI’s violent crime unit and we step into the twisted minds of the weekly serial killers, “The Inside” doesn’t fall into the typical traps of these shows. It’s more similar to FOX’s “House”: Both shows appear to be procedural, but they’re actually about what the characters do as opposed to the jobs they perform. In the pilot, the serial killer targets women who are new to town. Although this is pretty rote serial killer MO, “The Inside” isn’t a rote show; it’s really more like the city is targeting the new girls not the serial killer. The episode “Everything Nice” posits that some children are simply “born evil,” and is ironically bookended with ultrasounds of Agent Ryan’s son. It is these little touches that set “The Inside” apart from programs that simply solve mysteries.

Part of what makes the characters so likeable are numerous “Buffy,” “Firefly,” and “Wonderfalls” alums like creator Tim Minear and writer Jane Espenson. Even though we get a full barrage of ironic comments from all the characters, it’s toned-down to a realistic level to the point where snide comments actually interrupt trains of thought and disrupt conversations. The character of Rebecca Locke is also startling because, on one hand she’s very much a combination of Buffy Summers and Jaye Tyler, and on the other she’s very new and unexpected. She ends up as serial killer bait in many of the episodes, and is predictably rescued by the guys just in time. Nevertheless we get a strong sense that she’s never exactly out of control and that she never loses the upper-hand in any situation. It’s also refreshing that her “profiling flashes” are logically-based (often reasoned out-loud) instead of the ridiculous psychic explanations we get in “Millennium” and “Profiler.”

The key to really getting into “The Inside” is to understand the title. As a procedural drama, we get to see inside criminal profiling. As an examination of serial killers, we see inside the twisted minds of sociopaths. Most importantly, as one of the smartest new shows on television, we get to see inside ourselves and really explore what “evil” means to us.
  • It isn't perfect but it's definately better than most shows out there. It's smart and complex but not so complex that you get lost in the story. If this show makes it, you might be saying Law and Order, CSI, and The Inside.

Rebecca Locke(played by Rachel Nichols) isn't your average blonde. Sure she may look innocent and pretty but she has a troubled past and a sharp mind. Groomed from the start to become a special agent for the violent crimes unit of the FBI she uses her troubled past which turns out to be her gift in order to find their suspects.

The violent crimes unit is rounded off by an excellent cast. Jay Harrington and Peter Coyote are excellent in their roles as Special Agent Paul Fattore and Supervisory Agent Virgil "Web" Webster, respectively. Adam Baldwin offers the tough guy of the group and sometimes gives a comical performance as Special Agent Danny Love. Katie Finneran stars as Special Agent Melody Sims and Nelsan Ellis stars as their tech geek Carter Howard.

Peter Coyote's performance in this show is excellent and sometimes the most common scene is chilling as he delivers his lines with that trademark voice of his.

I wish I could say the same about all the actors but the acting is alright. Sometimes it can get too serious, especially when Rebecca goes into her long analysis about the murderer of the week.

The writing is clever and like I said earlier is not so complex you get lost in the story. The crimes are interesting but you can only go so far with the serial murderer. Another way to look at it is that you have endless possibilities with serial murderers and criminals which gives the show even more potential. My only problem with the crimes is that they are wrapped up too quickly. I know its an hour long drama and with commercials they only have 42 minutes to tell their story but it seems that in most of the episodes you have this giant build up and everything is wrapped up at around minute 37.

We've seen this show before. It's not original but its innovative and definately not something you would want to watch if you're eating dinner. Hopefully FOX sees the true genius this show emits despite it's ratings and give it a shot in the fall. It would make an excellent compliment to a show like 24. If you're a fan of good, scripted television like a Law and Order or a CSI definately watch The Inside while you still can. Trust me you won't regret it.
  • From '21 Jump Street' to the new dark FBI show with dark pasts and buried secrets. Very enjoyable.

I followed the show more or less since first plans for a new Minear series were presented, back then it still was more in the '21 Jump Street' style. Not much has remained of that and I'm sure that Rachel nichols would have fitted better into that concept. Still, this show has a certain something and I really hope it will stay around the block longer than the average Minear show, which sadly only gets a few episodes regularly.

Speaking from this point, four episodes down the road, I have to say I see a few clichees, a few rather predictable storylines (especially episode 4 was kinda foreseeable, this kind of plot has been used a little too often) but overall it is a pretty decent show.

The characters are interesting. A taskforce consisting of people with a secret...where Rebecca's might be the darkest since she doesn't even really remember anymore.

I just hope they won't go for the 'guy leaves his wife to get together with the new partner' thingy but leave the romance entirely out of the show. I wanna watch this show for the dark elements, not for some cheesy romance between partners. That eventually dragged the X-Files down and I kinda don't wanna see that here as well...if it lasts that is.

Hm. For the moment that is all I can say I guess. Let's see what the future might bring.
  • This show rocks!

This is a great new show... like so many other crime shows that will probably not get the audience to stay on tv. PLEASE watch it so it can stay!!
    It has offbeat comedy, and REALLY chilling crimes taking place. CSI is like a cartoon compared to the crimes on THIS show!
  • Unassuming program and grabs you and makes you a fan!

This was another program I didn't know too much about when I first watched it. And it's another homerun. It's fast paced, engaging and informative. I'm a sucker for any forensic program and by using the profiler side of it, it makes me feel part of the show. The story lines have been interesting and I look forward to it every week.
  • Pretty good serial criminal cases so far. Needs work on character development.

This show has some potential, but the characters need a little "fleshing out" before it can be considered really competitive with the top procedural dramas. So far, the cases have been pretty compelling, but the flow is occasionally jumpy -- kind of like they had sixty minutes of show and had to fit it in the 43 minutes that they get after commercials, credits, and the like and the person doing the editing used a random number generator to determine what footage would be removed.
  • The Inside best show of the summer! Reality T.V. is so over rated.

This show is amazing, so I\'m sure Fox will cancel it soon. Everyone should watch it while they can. The writting is superb Tim Minear, Jane,David Fury. What more could you ask for oh I know. A cast that is enchanting, well rounded and just plain fantastic. The things Adam Baldwin can get across without saying a word!! Its gritty, not for those with a week stomache. I love this show!
  • When I started watching the first episode, I was thinking, \"Please don\'t let this be like CSI....\". After all, it starts off with a murder, and then in come the team of experts. Maybe it\'s just me and my current infactuation with CSI NY.

Anyway, I was skeptical about this show as it progressed throughout the first episode. I didn\'t really know what kind of show it was or what kind of show they wanted it to be. Sure I knew it had something to do with a blond woman solving crimes, but is there anything special about the show?

First episode impressions:
    After watching the first episode, I got a clear idea of which direction this show is heading in (which is good): It focuses on psychological problems of human beings. From the main characters to the suspects and victims, they all have their own problems and dark pasts. The show gives you a sense of how troubled and complicated people really are.

Did I enjoy it? Thinking back, the beginning of the show did catch my attention. I wanted to know more about the story and characters. This could be dued to the \'huh?\' moments this show sometimes has. You can tell the writers put these \'surprises\' or \'huh?\' moments to interest the viewers. It did work, but sometimes I feel they overdo it. And this results in the plot not making a lot of sense. (but then again, which show makes perfect sense?)

Bottom line: It\'s an enjoyable show, the directing is good, music is good, it\'s picking up as each episode continues. My only complaint is the actress who plays the main character, Rebecca, she wasn\'t very convincing in the first episode (she holds the gun like she's holding a vegetable). Luckily, she seems to be improving each episode.

Can\'t say if this show will be a hit, but it does have the potential to be if the plot doens\'t get old. And I just feel that this show isn't that original so they better have some interesting things in store for us in the coming episodes.

• Think that the show has potential but hasn’t quite found its footing yet.

7.9
    Think that the show has potential but hasn’t quite found its footing yet.

Katie Finneran and Adam Baldwin are masters of the comic asides and am so glad to see them again after loving them in Wonderfalls and Firefly respectively. Of course this is part of the problem… I love their humor but it makes for some sharp breaks from the dark subject matter of the show.

The show also seems to be trying to show character growth (mostly with Rachel Nichols’ character) and while this has been acompished in some episiodes without things getting too cheesy it doesn’t really show from episode to episode – for the most part you could mix up their order and not really be able to tell a difference.

Like I said though, it had potential… and really, what else is their to watch during the summer?
  • I like it...even if no one else does.

The show is pretty good. I like watching it every week. When it first started, I figured it would get cancelled (not b/c of the lack of being a good show...but b/c it seems as though FOX likes cancelling good shows...I liked Point Pleasant!) The characters are very good...most of which are played by not so well known actors, but good nonetheless. The storylines are written pretty well - I love the crime scenes & the wit of the team.

I hope that FOX renews it for another season...keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Peter Coyote is in this?

3.3
    I love procedurals. I love to watch the process of investigating crime. I enjoy learning about the characters and motive. I love the dialogue and the action.

This show's writers need to watch some more CBS. The dialogue is strained and unrealistic, as are the situations. The characters are boring and one-dimensional.

I even gave the show a chance and watched more than one episode. That's 3 hours I will never get back.
  • Finally the goriest cases brought to TV! It's like Silence of the Lambs, if Clarice was used as bait, a lot.

At first I have to say, this show wasn't the best. It was rough around the edges. Fox brought in Tim Minear and company to save the show from becoming 21 Jumpstreet returns. Instead we are offered a glimpse inside the violent crimes unit of the FBI. The title is more than just a little metaphor. The show is about being inside the unit, inside the head of criminals and inside the heart and head of rookie agent Rebecca Locke. Rebecca, formerly Becky george abductee, was traumatized as a young girl by being kidnapped and held for like 18 months by a nut job. Her will to survive saved her, but has always left her a bit on the margins of her peers. Enter Web, the guy who runs the FBI Violent Crimes unit in LA, who swoops up and takes Rebecca for his own unit (even though she apaprently failed a psych test). The first couple of episodes revolved around making Rebecca the bait to catch a bad guy. But as of late the show seems to be evolving into something that is not only watchable, but a show that makes you want Rebecca to find her real self. With the aid of the other agents (brilliantly played by Adam Baldwin (Firefly), Katie Finneran (Wonderfalls), and Jay Harrington) Rebecca will discover things not only about the most dangerous criminals (mostly seems to be serial killers interspersed with exceptionally grim crimes) but about herself. Also the effects and makeup on this show are amazing and I would argue sometimes are better than CSI's at their best.
    Hopefully fox will reconsider this show, apparently it is already on the chopping block. Maybe without Dancing with the Stars the ratings will improve and we will all get to find out what's really on The Inside.
< 1 2 3