The Inspector Lynley Mysteries

In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner

Aired Monday 8:30 PM Mar 04, 2004 on BBC

6.7
  • Complete and utter rubbish!

I've really tried to like Inspector Lynley but it's become so repetitive now that it's even more boring than it was when it first started. Nathaniel Parker couldn't act his way out of a paper bag and his lack of chemistry with Sharon Small (the worst cockney accent since Dick Van Dyke) makes the whole "will they, won't they?" uresolved sexual tension laughable. This episode was totally implausible from the outset and by the end I felt cheated that I'd wasted time watching it. Time to retire the dear old Inspector to the House of Lords where he can snooze away in peace.
  • An awesome show!

Don’t let anyone fool you. This series is excellent for so many reasons. Critics of Elizabeth George are mostly irritated that an American is writing stories that center around British life and not sticking to stories that are oriented with American life. The gall! How dare she! Well, she should--she’s damn good at it. The main characters of the series are compelling. It’s difficult in this day and age to watch a show and actually care about the lives of the characters. I’m so tired of seeing hard-ass characters that are all tough, ruthless, vacuous and raw. Lynley and Havers are the first characters I’ve seen (other than CSI) that capture their balancing act of normal human vulnerability, private-life issues and personal foibles while constantly dealing with the most horrific crime scenarios and sometimes obtuse bosses and/or co-workers. I can only hope that more episodes will be produced.
  • good episode although hard to like Lynley much in it. Havers showed she has to be promoted back again as soon as possible.

I'm not totally in the know about the previous episode so it's hard to judge if the punishment of Havers was a fair one. It prolly was on an official level, but still it feels like she gets punished way too hard. Certainly when you see what a great job she does in the episode. The way Lynley acts makes it hard to like him, he tries to get her back but I feel he can work a little harder and be a little less arogant. Havers simply shows to be sergant worthy, if it weren't for he rebellious attitude, something being forced on by the demotion.

The story was nice, the usual upper class people and their problems like you often see in a Lynley episode. Throw in some rebellious children and obsessed girlfriends and you got a good story.

The obssesed girlfriend of Julian was the thing that bothered me the most, she seems to get away with everything. While nothing was seriously bad, karma should come back and haunt her.