The Jane Show Forums

Global (ended 2007)

Promotion of this show?

maxpower144

[1]Jun 29, 2006
    • level: 60

If anyone has a sighting of promotion for this show let us know!  I have a theory that promotion of this show is very weak.  Is this true?  Whaddya think?

FYI, I noticed that they finally started to update the official web site: http://www.thejaneshow.com/

Also, Global listings have The Jane Show moving to Wednesday next week and then to Monday the week after.  The official site still says Thursday as the night to watch. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pdhiii

[2]Jun 29, 2006
    • level: 8
    I have noticed that there is below to average promotion from Global for a show when there are new episodes. It is more like  an established hit that is in repeats for the summer. Most tv spots are the same episode non-specific one that introduces The Jane Show and lately a shorter one announcing that there is a new episode on Thursday (also episode non-spcific). I wish that there were ones that showed, "Next time on The Jane Show.... "
    Edited on 06/29/2006 8:54pm

maxpower144

[3]Jul 2, 2006
    I am seeing some quick promotion for the show this weekend with a mention that the show will be showing on Wednesday this week.

One thing I have been noticing though that even the globaltv.com listings show members of the old cast (from the original pilot) as stars for the show.

pdhiii

[4]Jul 10, 2006

I know what you mean about the global tv listings.  I went there on the weekend to see which episode would be on tonight (new=record, repeat=watch with a/v in sync). Of all the places that should have accurate info!  And the crew member posting here was surprised that I still recall the original so fondly.  Apparently, so does Global

Maybe I haven't watched enough of CIII but I haven't seen any mention of the encore episode on tonight.  Global mostly uses current hit shows as filler when they can't simulcast anything. Does this mean The Jane Show is doing good in the ratings?

maxpower144

[5]Jul 11, 2006
    The encore episode must have been a mistake in the global guide as it dissapeared about a week ago.

Strangely enough the promotion of this show is increasing. I am now seeing interesting commercials for The Jane Show on Global. This is good as the episodes are getting better and maybe more people will gt turned on to the show.

The official web site is also getting regular updates. I hope that they keep up the work.

Here on this site, believe it or not, we can promote the show. I post a few quotes and notes for each episode. You are also welcome to contribute if you want. Also, don't worry too much about the html formatting etc. As editor, as I can fix up any formatting errors before they go live.

pdhiii

[6]Jul 27, 2006

Speaking of promotion why isn't the preview episode listed anywhere on tv.com? Ok so technically it was 18 minutes of behind the scenes, interviews, and ET Canada clips and would most likely be on the dvds of any other show but it was on tv instead. Shouldn't it be listed?

And yes, I'm still recording TJS but the forum topics are a bit limited and you haven't posted in a while either

But to answer my own question, I found out last week that the composer is listed at the opening with guest stars and such. I was too involved in the show to care about the names on the screen....  Many futile weeks spent looking in the tiny end credits!!  And now that I think of it he's probably named in the 'crew' section too.

Tonight's episode sounds like a can't miss, should any casual viewer stumble over here....

janewalton

[7]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 1
    The composer for the show is a guy named Blair Packham...two points to the brainoid who can recall what late eighties/early nineties Canrock band he fronted...
    ...and while we're on the subject of music...any thoughts on the theme, since you've lived with it for eight weeks now?
    And you did answer your question on the promo, but it may appear if a dvd box ever surfaces. We should also know imminently if there is a second season...

maxpower144

[8]Jul 27, 2006
    The episode tonight (Should Have Said) was excellent! The score is way better now. The characters are meshing really well. I hope that this gets picked up for a second season.

janewalton

[9]Jul 27, 2006
    I think the show will be renewed. Watch this spot over the next few days. Do you think anyone is checking out www.thejaneshow.com? Thoughts?

maxpower144

[10]Jul 27, 2006

I know that I check it out the website for updates for this site. There is a new blog entry by "Jane". That is a cool concept and if you read it it wraps together some of the plotlines of the show.  It is a good web site, good looking, simple to use and it is updated on a regular basis lately which is nice.

If this show is renewed that would be nice. I don't have a clue as to the ratings of the show, and I am not sure if that really matters to Global in their decision to renew, although I assume that it does. However, when you premiere a show in the Summer season (in Canada) don't you expect viewership to be a little lower than normal.

Edited on 07/27/2006 9:19pm

janewalton

[11]Jul 27, 2006
    Renewal seems to be a little more complicated than just ratings. Of course, getting ratings and then retaining your audience is crucial. Overall positive critical feedback is essential (the Globe & Mail, and The National Post were quite glowing), a decent working relationship between the network and the creators/producers is important, and a few other further complicated factors (namely a working financial model since "Jane" didn't use any Telefilm funding). I'd say the show is a 90% chance for a second season. The web site works (I think) because the creators were involved in the concept and now the writing of it, and the production company (Shaftesbury) has stepped up to provide the funding and design for it. Hopefully, it will get better and more varied.

pdhiii

[12]Jul 28, 2006

I know the time on this website is somehow messed up for me but were you posting here durring the show last night? My time is listed as west coast when I've never been there in my life.

If you mean the theme song, "You know things get better...", was that used as a subtle disclaimer for the first couple of episodes. Either way, its true. I am so into Jane now that I record it at 9.30 on my computer and its tiny capture window and then watch it again on tv at 10.30 from Saskatoon (bless them for their wacky summer time zone).

I found out I can add the preview ep to the listings. If you haven't yet, can I do it? I could use the stupid points we get for doing stuff like that, even though I have no idea what the points rating is for.

Wow, a second season and a tiny hint that there is even a slight chance of a dvd release!!!!! You've been holding out on all the good news. How are the ratings? It can't be just the three of us who are watching; Global isn't that nice to air a show for just us. 

Aaaah, the working relationship between creators/producers and network is a concern for me... big fan of GG and am rather nervous about this new season now that the creator/executive producers are out.  I wonder what would happen with TJS  if the nework didn't want to work with the executive producers any more; not many exec producers are also the lead actress!!! I hope they don't have a falling out over $. But speaking of $, if there isn't any TeleFilm funding who paid for the show? Again, those tiny end credits are sooo hard to make out.

Edited on 07/28/2006 9:23am

janewalton

[13]Jul 28, 2006
    Feel free to put up the preview ep, just be sure to post the editor's name - Paul Wensley.
    As for the creative executive producers, Ralph and Teresa, I would say that if the network didn't want to work with them, there would be no show! Thankfully, that isn't the case. The main advantage of producing a show without Telefilm money is that it (the show) isn't dependant on
    conditional financing. I've seen many a show go down because Telefilm rejected the project for whatever bizarre reason. A working financial model for a show that's free of direct government subsidy seems to be the most reliable way of getting it off the ground - provided you have a network and a production company willing to pony up. Thankfully (again) that is the case with TJS. The govenment does contribute in the form of tax credits. The downside of all this is, Jane doesn't have the budget that a lot of shows have. You need a strong producer to make the most of the money you do have. It is a constant logistical challenge for Ralph and Teresa and the rest of the creative team. But no one is complaining (for the most part!)...we got a show...
    The ratings have steadily improved with Vancouver (I hear) being the hot spot.

pdhiii

[14]Jul 29, 2006

Well, the system won't let me add the Preview ep. I guess it would have had to go in before The End Is The Beginning was added. O well, I tried.

I noticed that there was TeleFilm funding for the pilot. Did that have anything to do with TJS lasting one episode before it went back to the drawing board? And with there maybe possibly being a future dvd release do you think the pilot would be included? My tape got a little bit crinkled before I transfered it to mpeg. I love Sullivan Ent.'s Anne Of GG and seeing Jonathan Crombie in the pilot was an amusing contrast. Actually, it was because of him that I first tuned in to TJS. Can you tell I really liked the pilot    Is there any chance we might see 'Clint' sometime in season two?

And just to cover the promotion topic, I was watching CIII while typing this and a few other things. There was a commercial for TJS on durring Reba, a little before 12.30, but it was just the current episode non-specific one that has been on for a few weeks now. Why aren't there 'Next time on...' !!!  I keep looking for Carey to make his singing debut as was mentioned in Preview.

janewalton

[15]Jul 31, 2006
    I don't remember any Telefilm funding for the original pilot. Who knows? They may have chipped in near the end, but that baby was shot on a shoestring of a budget (with thanks to the National Post offices for doubling for Jane's work!). I do remember being told we weren't getting any Telefilm funding when Global initially ordered the show AFTER the pilot (which we believed, at the time, meant the end of the show). Unfortunately, the (long) story of why Jane went back to the drawing board is not really suitable for a message board! If you know the story of Sisyphus, you'll get an idea of what it was like for Teresa and Ralph and the original pilot. Suffice to say, the series (now) is far closer to what the creators originally envisioned. Some of us would like to see the pilot as a bonus if there is a DVD set, but I wouldn't hold my breath (again, long story). We've talked about having Jonathan back, but it is about convincing others it's a good idea - not a lot of fun. If you love meetings, go into television! That said...if we get to a season three?
    The reason why there aren't "Next time" previews involves many factors, but mostly it comes down to money, or lack of it. We're renewed (yippee!) for another thirteen, so you may see a few more promos, but probably not episode specific.
    Any other questions, feel free to ask!

maxpower144

[16]Jul 31, 2006
    Thanks, this is great news!

It will be great to see another 13 episodes of "The Jane Show" after this run. I believe that everything we have seen improve about this show this season will surely benefit the next 13 episodes.

I won't pretend to understand how Canadian television production and funding works, but reading your comments here has been eye opening.

pdhiii

[17]Aug 1, 2006

O goodie!!!! More...  

I guess its too early to know for sure if all the cast will be returning or if there will be new workers at Spirits but renewal is great news. Just please tell me it won't be like Robson Arms where ctv is putting out season two two years later. I've been bouncing back and forth on TJS & RA and would be absolutely thrilled if they were both on in the same season / year / week / time (I have two satellite receivers so I could use one eye for each show if necessary!). Could TJS be moving to a winter or spring premiere? Does Global think that highly of our beloved little show? Please, season two asap.

As long as Jonathan thinks its a good idea I can wait for his return. I may try holding my breath.

I too don't know much about television production but I do know the big TeleFilm logo, and Global didn't compress the credits on the pilot to promo other shows, so they had some part in the pilot.

I was thinking TJS is a Global original and it wouldn't cost much to make episode specific promos. Maybe tv editors make a lot more than I thought and Global isn't willing to pay them OT to make one-week promos.    The generic ones are reuseable and thus cheaper. If that saves enough money to make season two I'm ok with it.

Maybe someday I'll take my raw files and make dvds myself but for now I'm fine with being able to watch 'repeats' on my computer, but its eating up my hard drive space fast. And speaking of repeats, the one listed for last night actually happened! I took that as a good sign. Then this morning I pop over here and find out about TJS's renewal.

Happy Tuesday

pdhiii

[18]Aug 10, 2006

Maybe I'm slow to notice this but the website now has the rest of the episodes listed.

Do we want Jane to leave the sales job at Spirits and go back to the literary world, publishing at an indie press? I just read the finale description about two minutes ago and I'm not sure. Publishing means no more of Walton but it also means no more Stella, Susan, and Carey.

Either way, updating the website was the best way to promote the last three episodes of the season. Can it be possible that I am looking forward to tonight's episode even more now that I have an idea of where its all going?

janewalton

[19]Aug 10, 2006
    I think the change to the web site is fairly recent. Glad you dig it.

pdhiii

[20]Aug 17, 2006

I loved tonight's episode so much I'm watching it for a third time right now from BC. I was so excited to see Jane out on the street again, running to get to the church on time.  "It was a cheap, filthy ploy (to get away from the same few sets) and I loved it."

And Susan is back to herself. The mini recap of the season in Susan's outburst. And o does Stella put her in her place. Comedic drama at its finest!!! I'm going to miss TJS this fall.

No episode-specific promos made this so fun to watch. Every frame was new. And the last scene has me still laughing... through Global BC airing the credits for The Office instead of TJS. Wierd. Last week Global Edmonton ran the opening credits to House twice before going to commercial.

On another topic, Global has sold FB all over the planet. Any takers for TJS? UK's LivingTV maybe...