The Jane Show Forums

Global (ended 2007)

Season Two coming

janewalton

[1]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 1
    The first episode of the second season of The Jane Show should roll out in early February. Exact time to follow.
    Edited on 01/21/2007 9:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

maxpower144

[2]Jan 27, 2007
    • level: 60
    Yes, that is good to see more Canadian sitcom action soon. I wonder how they will top last season?

I have Wed 7 Feb for the first episode, titled "Moving on up". Does that sound right?

janewalton

[3]Jan 30, 2007
    Yes...if all goes well, the first episode will air Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 10 p.m.. As before, I'll be very curious what you think.

maxpower144

[4]Feb 10, 2007
    I did like the first episode of season 2. There were some interesting story arcs introduced. Nick Walton in Iraq? I wonder how this will play out? Carey in a top hat and tails was hilarious. The entire show looks more polished than this time last season. I am looking forward to more Canadian comedy.

biffkowalski

[5]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    maxpower144 wrote:
    I did like the first episode of season 2. There were some interesting story arcs introduced. Nick Walton in Iraq? I wonder how this will play out? Carey in a top hat and tails was hilarious. The entire show looks more polished than this time last season. I am looking forward to more Canadian comedy.

Keep on looking.

I guess the lack of response to this post and show makes it the non-event of the television season. Curious to know what the ratings are.

Also noticed a post about Teresa's view on funny women was taken down. Why was that?

maxpower144

[6]Mar 10, 2007
    biffkowalski wrote:
    Also noticed a post about Teresa's view on funny women was taken down. Why was that?

It was off-topic. This topic of this board is the show.

biffkowalski

[7]Mar 11, 2007
    maxpower144 wrote:
    biffkowalski wrote:

It was off-topic. This topic of this board is the show.

It spoke to the problem of what's wrong with the show. It thinks it's better than it is. It also seems to think it's smarter than its audience.

If the post was off-topic but praised Teresa would you also have taken it down?

janewalton

[8]Mar 11, 2007
    [/QUOTE]

It spoke to the problem of what's wrong with the show. It thinks it's better than it is. It also seems to think it's smarter than its audience.

[/QUOTE]

I've heard these types of comments before, not about The Jane Show mind you, and they've always baffled me. Conjecture at its most bizarre. I also don't know what you are referencing when you mention Teresa's view on funny women (the Star/Zekas article?), but you seemed to take exception to it, and/or draw a dubious parallel between her view and the show itself, and your opinion of it. As someone who is intimately involved with the creation of the show (and is not Teresa), I can unequivocally state that exclusivity is not a mandate or a desire of the writers, or the other writer/creator of the show (not to imply that it is Teresa's mandate). On the contrary, we have the utmost respect for our audience. When you write something, you hope that it is funny and compelling and despite the various editing gauntlets (network notes, etc.) it must go through, retains some kind of resonance, or makes some kind of comment by the time it goes to camera. At least, that's what you ASPIRE to do. You also hope your audience will come with you because they trust (now) that you've created characters that are consistent, likable and relatable, stories that are thematically linked by tone and view, and that you are NOT trying to judge them (your audience) or pull a fast one on them in the process. When I write, I always say to myself during the process "this is how I feel; hopefully, there is someone else out there in the wilderness who feels the same way and appreciates and relates to what I'm trying to say". There are a lot of points of view out there. "Jane" is just one of them - and within that view are a lot of variations in presentation. Read the writing credits. If the show isn't to your taste, that's cool, but your supposition is a wee bit unfair.
    Edited on 03/11/2007 11:29am

biffkowalski

[9]Mar 14, 2007
    I understand that putting together a show must be a difficult thing. (Although my understanding comes from reading Phil Rosenthal's autobiography.) However, I did want this show to be to my taste. The Office meets Sex and the City, sounds exactly like something I would like. Maybe that wasn't even the creative department that billed it as that, but you have to admit it's a lofty aspiration.

When I watched this show I felt that it was the writer telling me what she/he liked, rather than the character. Jane constantly reminding everyone she's a vegetarian, or once wrote a novel. Her love of obscure operas, the literature she reads, or her disdain of television. To me, these are all traits that are not really that endearing when presented in a, somewhat, smug way.

You obviously know more than I do about writing a TV series, I just wished you had written one I could embrace.

Good luck to you and your show.

pdhiii

[10]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 8

Which has more drama the show or this message board. OMG!! I thought this was a friendly place to discuss a beloved show.

Having seen the article on the ratings i was amazed. over 200000 viewers. Wow!! I was afraid it might just be the three of us who posted here. Why did they not join in the discussions last season? Hopefully they will find this little corner of the world and join in.

Carey's son was a shock!!! Stella telling him there is a problem was brilliant.

Nick in Iraq is perfect. Since he is still in the opening credits i guess he's coming back at some point.

Will Stella ever get her baby? I really am enjoying this story line.

Is there more than coincidence between Susan's Jamie and Jane's James. Susan and James would be fun

I do have to ask, what is the time-setting for the current episodes? How much time passed between season 1 & 2 in the story. I'm a bit confused on this, especially with the episode on the celebrity reality show co-worker.

pdhiii

[11]Mar 14, 2007

biffkowalski,

You seem to have watched a lot of episodes of a show you clearly don't enjoy. I'm sorry you did not enjoy it but everything can't appeal to everyone. I know that for ratings / revenue that is usually the goal with televison. The Jane Show is a bit different. I like it. A primary character who, as you said, is not really that endearing, is one of the aspects of the show i love. Jane's Jane, not who everyone else tells her to be.

As for being billed as Sex And The City meets The Office, that was Global's take on the original pilot. I was the editor for The Jane Show on tvtome when it premiered in Dec 04. The show kinda changed A LOT after that first episode.

Hopefully, if you decide to continue watching, you will enjoy tonight's episode.

biffkowalski

[12]Mar 23, 2007
    pdhiii wrote:

biffkowalski,

You seem to have watched a lot of episodes of a show you clearly don't enjoy....Hopefully, if you decide to continue watching, you will enjoy tonight's episode.

You're right, for a show I don't like, I do tend to watch it more than I should.

What did you think of the racism issue? It sounded like a promising premise and something that would have been been hilarious on 30 Rock. Here it just seemed one-note and not that realistic. I will say that I thought the direction seemed a bit crisper than usual.

pdhiii

[13]Mar 28, 2007

You also seem to post a lot on a show you don't (didn't) enjoy   Where is everyone else?

Let me first say i don't watch 30 Rock. I have this thing of hating the Baldwins so... sorry Tina

Honestly, last week's episode did creep me out a bit.  It seemed like Jane was getting a bit racist in her attempt to not be racist. Its not really a trait to be carried on throughout the show by the primary character. I didn't find it as funny as previous shows but a serious issue is good to raise. I thought it was very realistic for Jane to find her intentions misunderstood. I would never have gotten confrontational with the man from Kingston just because he is white. Jane and i differ there. But i am now wondering what Iggy's "ethnic background" is. Still love Jane and her show. But i thought it would have more on composting in Toronto. I am really curious about that.

janewalton

[14]Mar 28, 2007
    pdhill: Interesting thoughts on the episode. I'm curious if you caught the "haunted apartment" episode, and if so, your thoughts on that.
    On you getting creeped out...I can't speak for the writer (an "outside" writer who was brought in versus Ralph or Teresa or the supervising producer who usually write the show), but there WAS the inference that there is a little bit of bigotry in all of us; this may have been one of the points of the episode.
    Interesting (perhaps, to some) that the network absolutely LOVED this script, and this episode. It's always interesting to see what material they respond to versus the creators of the show (who respond differently from each other occasionally) and which stories the network has real difficulty supporting (which in turn makes writing the script arduous to say the least).
    The idea of this episode was a combination of:
    1. Teresa's own adventures as a late night clandestine obsessive compostor.
    2. Ralph ruminating on why he had so many visible minority friends growing up who gradually fell away as he got older, and his gradual realization that his peer group was now a sea of nothing but white faces.
    That was the start. The writer, Adrian Colussi, took those ideas and created very much his own thing.
    Iggy's background. Like the actor who plays him, it is a very difficult guess.

pdhiii

[15]Apr 7, 2007

First, may I say it is nice to have you return to us, janewalton. I had been wondering were the mysterious crew member disappeared to.

Second, it is not PDHILL as in P.D. Hill. It is a very obscure reference to Bono's 'real name', PDH III  Paul David Hewson the 3rd, which btw was a joke on his part. There is no '3rd' in his name. Its just one of the little things i noticed long ago on tv and thought that it was perfect for a user id here. And I'm a bit of a serious u2 fan too (importing the singles not release in America, etc). We all have to have a little Bono in our lives   I'm listening to 'Xanax And Wine' right now.

The getting creeped out by the racism episode because we see a bit of ourselves in it is i think what it was supposed to do. To make us look closer at ourselves and see our faults and prejudices that we might change them. Still, i thought it was going to be an episode on composting and didn't expect that episode to go in the direction that it went.

I suppose with the internet we could find out more on Iggy and the actor who plays the role so well but that would ruin the mystery of the character.

I caught them all. With all the lack of promotion and no internet for a while I was afraid that I had missed the season premiere. Literally, i saw Jane was on again when i was looking to see when LOST would be on since ctv changes that week to week. I did get the haunted apartment episode. I want Susan's apt!!! Minus the haunting of course. I haven't seen The Exorcist but i think there was some reference to that movie in the episode. Carey has some interesting old friends. Susan's neighbours reminded me of a few people in my building.