TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The Jane Show Forums

Global (ended 2007)

Who is watching this show?

maxpower144

[1]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 60
    As far as I can tell, I am the only one watching this show... is anyone else out there?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pdhiii

[2]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 8

I'm here too. I was the editor for The Jane Show when it was still tvtome.com but was rather pissed that it was cancelled. It took a while for me to be willing to revisit it to get all the cast & crew info. And then it was tv.com and i didn't have access to the show as i wasn't a heavy user of tvtome, just a casual viewer. By great luck i stumbled into it's return and have recorded each episode. Its on in half an hour.

I liked the original pilot for some of the cast but the premise is better now. As is Jane's hair. Still missing the original Iggy (RIP).

maxpower144

[3]Jun 23, 2006

It is nice to see that there is someone else who will come forward and say they watch this show.

I do like this show.  I like it's Canadian-ness.

I think the scripts are generally well written, however I think that some of the sub-plots have remained confusing and fractured.  Even after the show is done, I sit and scratch my head a bit to try to figure out the depth of all that happened.  Good thing I have taped these episodes.

My biggest complaint is the score.  The accompanying music is dreadful.  Why is it so twangy and chirpy?  The setting is a liquor distributor in Toronto, not a saddle factory in Red Deer.     Oh well you can't have everything.

Don't let my negativity get in the way though.  As I said I do like this show.  The characters have potential.  I am watching this show to see how it evolves and always because I support Canadian television.

Edited on 06/23/2006 8:59am

janewalton

[4]Jun 24, 2006
    • level: 1
    Good for you for supporting Canadian television. You're in a select group. Thanks. As someone who is deeply involved in the conception and production of the show, it's nice to read comments on it, both good and, um, constructive! I think the score of the show does evolve as the season goes on, but I'd be curious if other people thought so as well.

maxpower144

[5]Jun 24, 2006
    janewalton wrote:
    Good for you for supporting Canadian television. You're in a select group. Thanks. As someone who is deeply involved in the conception and production of the show, it's nice to read comments on it, both good and, um, constructive! I think the score of the show does evolve as the season goes on, but I'd be curious if other people thought so as well.

It is nice to see someone involved in the show come by to say hello. That does not happen here very often.

Don't be fearful of my comments. I am just a TV watcher, and not an official TV critic.

I am also curious as to what everyone else thinks of this show?

Cheers!

pdhiii

[6]Jun 24, 2006

I think i was the only person who watched the original pilot, on Global and again when NTV aired it in January 05.

There was a mix-up in the Bell on-screen guide that brought me back here to get the title of the episode from the 15th. I found the show was updated so i was not the only one watching and later noticed there was a message in the forums. Two fans and a crew member already!

And what's wrong with Red Deer? Thankfully there is more to Canada than Toronto. You just happened to hit upon the one city i don't live in but am passionate about. And do those liquor distributors actually exist. Maybe this is just because i don't live in Toronto but i had never heard of them before, not specifically Spirits (wild guess it's fictional) but rather the whole business-concept especially with all the mention of LCBO.

As for Canadian tv, I supported This Is Wonderland with everything i had. However the only friend i turned on to This Is Wonderland lives in Arizona and i had to send her tapes because noone in the US aired the show, but it was on somewhere in Asia. A sign of why it was cancelled? Sadly, probably.  Its been a while since Global had a new show i liked, domestic or imported. I still wonder how/why Global lost/gave up Smallville; talk about passing on a hit. After that i only tuned in to Global for Gilmore Girls every week, and right now its not on : (

I find that Canadian tv can have to much canadianism to it at times, usually as a symptom of bad writing. Such would be the case with Falcon Beach. The pilot was good but when it went to series it got boring and obvious and noting but eye candy if such is your tastes. And that show gets renewed? Thankfully TJS plays canadianism just right, clearly present without being forceful, defined but not screaming, "Watch Me! I'm Canadian!" Confusion and fraction can be the hook to get you back next week in hopes of clarity and resolution; here's to hoping the episodes to resolve to something after being left hanging by the pilot. In a backwards way TJS got me into Windfall, a show i initially had every intention of never watching.

My biggest complaint would have to be the names. There are different actors playing different charcters but the general dynamic/structure and names of the chracters are the same as the pilot. It is clear that they are not ment to be tied together but the pilot is out there (or only on my hard drive) so why not give the characters new names and make it a clean break? Too late to fix that now without making a third show.

I haven't paid as much attention to the music track because the volume of Global is so low i can barely hear it over the fan on a hot night without sharing with all of my neighbours however i just checked out a bit of Jane's Addiction and would have to be a bit in agreement. Either its the wrong composer or they are forcing her/him to writing really bad because some producer likes it. At times, generally with the naration, the music works, but at other times it just doesn't fit. And the opening chord after the titles has an eerie similarity to the opening chord to the theme of This Is Wonderland. More thoughts on the score after i re-watch and pay closer attention.

And my other complaint - 24 is available without cable in Toronto!!!!!!!!! That bugged me for the entire episode. If i were a fan i  could watch 24 from Toronto on satellite or broadcast and i live over 4 hours away from the city. Why is Jane so special she need cable to see 24? Maybe an antenae for the baby-tv but that is all. Jane was hired at work for her uniqueness yet she is forever desiring to assimilate. It makes me think Jane really wasn't that good of a writer either, she just thought she was because she worked for one. And that kinda kills the foundation of the show.

I still prefer where the original could have gone had it lived. But i am curious where this version is going since it yet lives. Apparently this show had been in the works for nearly a decade before it was shot.

janewalton

[7]Jun 24, 2006
    Hmm...some educational comments. Thank you.
    For what it's worth, the theme song is a tune called "Better" written by a guy named Steve Eggers for his group called The Nines (they have a new disc coming out, and it is fantastic). The song was written long before This Is Wonderland came out and was never intended to be a theme (to a TV show). The creators of the show, Ralph and Teresa, found the song and loved the original lyric and music. Others in the process, preferred to have someone score a theme specifically to the show. In the end, the creators won out, with the compromise that the lyrics would be altered (slightly), and the original track be edited (to bring it down from 2:40 to :27), and the vocal track re-done.
    The characters having the same name...
    Well, sorry the old pilot is sticking in your mind (though, I'm strangely flattered by that). Suffice to say, this version of the show is much, much, closer to the original concept of the show than the old pilot. The creators, and the network agreed, that we should keep our old characters and alter (Kate Trotter and Teresa being the exception) the casting to be much more in line with the original vision. The truth is, the creators have an intense loyalty to those characters and wanted to see them live in bodies much closer to what they had in mind. Why that didn't happen in the first place is a long, long story, that one day you might hear, or will find out yourself if you venture into television development! The show has been in development for the past seven years. Many years ago, a one-off called "As I Was Saying" ran on The Comedy Network where Jane was introduced as simply one of the characters. It was decided that the Jane character should be spun off (!) into her own vehicle, which led to some further development at The Comedy Network, an amicable split, years more of struggle, and then the scripts catching the interest of a production company called Shaftesbury, who climbed on board, and sold it to Global.
    If you missed the original twenty minute promo of the show that aired forty minutes before the pilot a few weeks ago, the "Jane" and the show's premise is a combination of two elements. Teresa used to be at The Second City. She was hired right out of university, incidentally where Teresa and Ralph met, and into what was called The Second City touring company. She's been working in "the business" ever since (a very rare story indeed). She used to take the subway to work and gaze at the women she noticed coming home from their 9 to 5 jobs, and wonder what her life would have been like if The Second City hadn't come calling and she decided not to pursue acting. "Jane" was first born from that - kind of an alter ego, or parallel Teresa. The second part of the equation was Ralph's story. As a struggling stage (and occasional commercial) actor, life was difficult. In pursuing the acting dream, Ralph had seen a slow erosion in his quality of life, a loss of community, stability, and as clearly stated in the first episode, an ability to pay for even basic dental care. Developing a tooth abcess while doing dinner theatre (!) Ralph found himself unable to pay for dental work (not to mention other sundries like rent and food). With credit card companies calling, relationships failing, an actor friends being unable to offer anything more than pearls of wisdom like "you should get a new agent" or "just pray you get that cheese ad", Ralph made the extremely difficult decision of leaving the business for a more structured, more consistently paying, EASIER life. So, for the most part, the story lines are autobiographical in content - and the characters, composites of various friends (and enemies) picked up along the way.
    The L.C.B.O. was definitely one of Ralph's stops on the way back to entertainment, but that's another story!
    Back to Jane; she was a good writer, but the point was and is, just because you're good, or even great, doesn't mean you'll succeed, or people will even notice you. Just remember Vivaldi died a broken, penniless man! She wants to assimilate because she wants to belong, have a sense of community and personal direction - something she sacrificed as she struggled for success as a writer. Subconsiously, she also wants to forget her old life (and the pain of leaving those ambitions) and reinvent herself as someone with new ambitions. She hoped working for an established writer would open doors for her, not validate her own belief in herself, but other's belief - a far trickier task. In entertainment, opportunity is everything; when Jane's went up in flames, she was devastated (and with that, went her self-worth and awareness of her talent). She's no longer aware of her uniqueness (and further, doesn't really want to be), so it's up to others to notice it, and perhaps, bring it back out. But Jane is committed to this new life because she thinks life will be safer and easier for her. One of the engines that drives the show is the slow realization that a) easier said than done and b)you can't shut off who and what you are.
    In reference to the score, one of the things you'll notice, or may notice on repeat viewings, is the score often has a point of view, or a comment. I can tell you that it was never arbitrary or stuck on, or created without thought. But, ironically, considering your thoughts on it, a bit too subtle. As the season moves on, the score and the show do get much closer in tone, but as I said, thoughts are welcome!
    As I said, I'm delighted you're watching, and I can assure you, others are as well. It's in the hands of the network now.

pdhiii

[8]Jun 24, 2006

I recorded the preview episode later that night, after the first episode. But it was late and i was tired. I'm sure some of my questions were answered there. Maybe it would help if i re-watch it. I did notice that Global is pretending that the episode from Dec 04 doesn't exist. When TJS re-premiered it was called a new, original series, even if it was in development for 7 or 8 years.  I liked the subway part of the episode. It was funny and yet sadly familiar. Will we see Jane using the subway again? More important, will Jane be dating or does Global consider that taboo now?

I believe i did see the Comedy Net show and that is why i found Jane very familiar. As you said it was many years ago. But who doesn't know a 'Jane' in her own life or maybe is a 'Jane'

As for the assimilating, sure it will allow for the stronger sense of community but she seems to be sacrificing herself to find a new personal direction within a community that she doesn't really seem to want to belong to as much as she want to succeed in her new profession. And with Jane being an intelligent woman why doesn't she see that. Her boss is not so approachable but she is trying to get Jane to see that she can be herself and still be welcome in her new world. I hope it doesn't take seasons for that to happen. I'd like to see Jane last for at least a few seasons but her realisation can't be that slow. She needs to realise and then take action, have the show go somewhere.  I see your point of recognition/success by association - who hasn't tried that at least one time. 

Maybe i just don't like the composer and need a few more episodes for her/him to grow on me. Maybe its because Bell has the volume so low on ch 211 that i can't hear but on ch 11 i get it loud and clear. The problem is they seem to be 2-3 seconds out of sync so watching that way is disorienting (better picture on 211 and better sound on 11).  I wasn't talking about the theme of TIW and TJS being similar but that the score after the opening titles to one of the episodes being similar for a second to the theme of TIW, season 1. And Jane is in her own kind of wonderland right now so maybe it was intentional.

Will TJS be on NTV? At least there you can usually read the end credits and find out things like the composer 's name and then cease calling her/him 'the composer' all the time.

I like the quality of the office set?location over the pilot where it seemed too fragmented, like it was shot in a few places.  The new Carey is loveable in that quirky yet adorable way; the old one seemed to be a middle-age player and that was just creepy. And we finally met Jamie (a bit of a disappointment but i guess investment bankers aren't generally people-persons).  I just have to know, does he still fancy The Sound Of Music? That was soooo funny. I'm glad Jamie found a new Susan as the old one seemed unconvincing as a friend of Jane.

Debuting opposite LOST was daring. The retooled return up against repeats of CSI is still brave timing. Here's hoping Global keeps TJS around for all of us who find there is too much CSI out there.

maxpower144

[9]Jun 24, 2006

If we are to expect that there will be some evolution of this show, then I can believe it.  The latest epsiode "Ode to Marian" is in my opinion the best episode yet.  The dialogue is funny and the characters are certainly "quirkier" and more fun to watch than any other epsisode.  Also the score does not seem to be as out of place in this episode.

As for the score of this show:  I once recall a director tell me that if you notice the score then there is something amiss.  The score is designed to heighten the audience's mood and it should blend in with the action onscreen.  In the first episode the score seems out of place.  Now, by the fourth episode the score seems to blend better, even though it is still prominent throughout the episode.

pdhiii

[10]Jun 27, 2006
    To keep it short this time, I liked Ode to Marian. I just wasn't sure who the father was. Is Marian married to someone else and fooling around at work are are they just in the closet at work about their relationship? Did i missed the ring on her finger?
    Edited on 06/27/2006 7:10am

janewalton

[11]Jul 8, 2006
    I've missed your thoughts on the episodes. Regardless, thanks for watching. Hopefully, we'll know in a week or so if the show is being renewed.

maxpower144

[12]Jul 9, 2006
    janewalton wrote:
    I've missed your thoughts on the episodes. Regardless, thanks for watching. Hopefully, we'll know in a week or so if the show is being renewed.

Don't worry we are still watching. In my opinion the episodes are getting much better, with the "Wine Tasting" episode my favorite yet.

There are some odd things in these episodes though. For example, in the "Daddy's Home" episode, when Jane's Dad visits her apartment, she has to hide a marijuana leaf shaped ashtray with what looks like a joint in it. This struck me as very odd and out of character. Then in the last episode Jane was described as "bohemian", which again struck me as odd, but I guess that explains the pot in her apartment. I guess that I just don't get what the writers are making of Jane's character. I don't see her as a pot smoker, she seems too innocent for that. Maybe there is a layer to Jane that I don't see, however most successful comedies don't provide complex characters with many layers.

Again though, don't get me wrong I like this show. The quirky characters of Walton and Careyare have grown on me and I enjoy see what kind of weirdness they have to show me. Iggy is still a fringe character and there is probably an episode coming up where he gets into some real mischief.

Jane's boss, Stella, is a excellent character and she is played well by Kate Trotter. The character is well defined and fun to watch.

I hope that the show is renewed because it will only get better.

I wonder how and why Global promotes these home grown shows and I can't help but think that they could be doing a better job. Over on the rival network CTV, they have some new Canadian made comedies running this summer and you see promotion in the form of previews running all the time. (SHowing you the highlights of the next episodes) Global does some promotion of "The Jane Show" just by mentioning the title every now and then and saying that it is on. Why not show the people a little bit about what it is all about?

janewalton

[13]Jul 9, 2006
    Jane smoking pot. The magic of editing! The showing of the remnants of a joint in Daddy's Home wasn't intended as depicting Jane as a "pot smoker". She was in the world of writing for many years though, and there are a lot of pot smokers there! It more came from the fact that pot smoking is still quite prevalent, but just never talked about. Jane is innocent to many things, you're correct, but she is still a liberal who understands that to many (including herself) smoking pot is akin to having the occasional beer or glass of wine. To her father's generation though, that leap hasn't been made, and concealing it simply meant avoiding the hassle. No statement for or against pot smoking was intended though! Just a realistic take on what many people do. I don't believe Jane descibed herself as a "bohemian" - if she did her tongue would be placed firmly in cheek. Some of the other characters, in their desire to label her (as everyone likes to do), describe her that way.
    We all wish Global was promoting the show more! It often comes down to budgets and things I suppose. But at least they put us on the air!
    Again, I love reading your comments. Much thanks.

pdhiii

[14]Jul 10, 2006

The last comment got to post again (looking back my posts here are reallllly long).

Is it better to be on, not promoed and then quickly and quietly cancelled or to never be on. From the veiwer pov I say never to be on. Networks tend to be VERY wrong in what shows will succeed and often prematurely cancel would-have-been hits (Wonderfalls, Godiva's, The Book Of Daniel, and most shows ctv buys rights to and then won't air such as Veronica Mars & What About Brian). Of course there are also mercy killings (nbc's hawaii, e-ring, & LAX come to mind).

That being said I'm not sure of how I would feel if The Jane Show disappeared. I survived once already on the memory and tape with 2 copies of ep 1 but now that there are 6 episodes it might be akin to when FOX could not see the wonder of the falls. I have the 4 episodes that aired on the networks and the complete series (VisionTV) on vhs  and dvd of FOX HD and still purchased the official release the first day it went on sale.

I thought the transition to Stella chugging the wine  after telling Jane to spit was awkward and fast. Maybe it was done for time but i can't help thinking there is a lost scene for the dvds in there. And maybe you can tell us, but did CIII cut the opening off of 'Tasting' due to Rock Star where Global ran the credits twice. The episode seemed to fade in in-progress and there was no rating in the upper left corner. If so, what did I miss?

The joint. Seemed so expected I had to play back the episode just to see it was really there. It was partially covered by the show pop-ups. Now that I was looking for it it seemed a bit over-emphasised.

And as to those shows on ctv, what are they? The only thing I know of is Robson Arms, season 2 but its still not ready to air. I think I was the only person in the eastern time zone to watch the first season.  So NoTORIous is an import, Instant Star is a mercy airing for Canadian fans despite the ratings because BGM owns the show, not just broadcast rights. Alice I Think is actually a bit old, having spent some time 'on the shelf' before BGM decided to test it on Comedy (look at the copyright on the OmniFilms logo at the end) before spreading word of it coming on ctv a few weeks ago.I really like Alice. It reminds me of my high school days. Whistler pulls elements from all the hit shows of recent and can't seem to make it work. The only thing original about Whistler is that it airs in USA and doesn't pretend to be set in USA like so many other BC-shot shows (Dead Like Me, The L Word, Smallville). I've been somewhat bitter and skeptical of ctv since the first time they dropped Charmed, for season 4.

I have been wanting to pose this for some time now: what is with the aspect raio? Mid-way between full and wide screen...  Is it a symbol of Jane's desire but inability to conform to the status quo of her enviroment.

Edited on 07/10/2006 12:51pm