The Jane Show Forums

Global (ended 2007)

Why did Walton go to Iraq?

maxpower144

[1]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 60
    Yeah, I know he went there to sell liquor to Iraqiis. (a silly notion to say the least) But does anyone else think that the show is missing something without him there?

For example the banter between Walton and Iggy is missing. At least in the Plastic Ono Jane episode there was some banter between Desmond and Carey which was pretty funny, but it seemed to be forced a bit.

FYI, Walton comes back in a couple of episodes and things are suppose to heat up a bit.
    Edited on 03/30/2007 7:44am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pdhiii

[3]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 8

This may be an unpopular position but I have liked the absence of Walton. Seeing the life-sze cardboad Walton in the background of the office was perfect. Desmond 'seems' to be the stable, normal one in the office most of the time. Now if Walton and Desmond were to fight over Jane that might be interesting. As long as Iggy won.

Selling expensive, high end booze in Iraq seemed odd to me. I wonder if Walton returns a success or its a demotion after being hailed a geneous for the outrageous idea.

biffkowalski

[4]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 3

I never felt Jane and Walton had any chemistry.  I think the fact that the writers did nothing creative with his absense means it was not a planned story arc.  The actor was probably busy.  I would have been curious to see what Walton would have thought about the mold of Stella's vagina.

Speaking of that... what the heck were they thinking with last week's episode?  That most have been the most unbelievable storyline so far.  I'm guessing that it might have seemed funny or shocking when they were writing the episode, but it just came across as a little sad.  Like a child who swears to get a reaction.

janewalton

[5]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    Hey Biff! Thanks for tuning in!

biffkowalski

[6]Apr 10, 2007
    You are welcome!

Your show has given my husband and me much to talk about.

pdhiii

[7]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 8

I think you are falling under the spell...

Back to this past episode. I thought it was funny that the guys in the office had no idea what they were looking at, especially Carey. And who makes, and then displays at work a mold of their vagina  You can count me out on that. Too weird for me 

As one who doesn't live in Toronto I was raised to believe that secret societies such as Jane was invited to are actually all too common place.

I know it's called The Jane Show but why is there so little between Stella and anyone else outside of work. Just once. Just twice.

I agree that Walton's being killed selling booze in a war zone would be his best ending. He was just there because he is a somewhat famous/recognisable British actor. I like the actor. I think the character was just a bad romantic interest for Jane. And of course when he returns Walton will be the one who recognises the mold.

Edited on 04/10/2007 9:40pm

biffkowalski

[8]Apr 16, 2007
    Now that Walton is back, I'm confused. Why did everyone but Jane give him the cold shoulder at first? I don't remember them not liking him to such a degree. Didn't Jane know he was only selling wine in Iraq? What made her think he was in combat? Was he really homeless or was that a ruse to get into Jane's apartment? How did he get homeless then? He did just come back from a job. Also, I was curious on the choice to make the Stella and Desmond kiss so quick. Did Global cut this short or was it originally edited that way?

janewalton

[9]Apr 16, 2007
    Hmmm...where to start? I'm curious Biff, about what YOU think The Jane Show is supposed to be? Answer in your own time.
    Answers. First, the episode is part parody/homage (think Born On The Fourth Of July, Coming Home), part commentary (we're at war right now). I'd encourage to read up on the Green Zone in Baghdad, Haliburton,
    the scandal of Walter Reed, etc., and what is happening in Iraq beyond the headlines.
    "Why did everyone but Jane give him the cold shoulder at first?"
    Answer:
    Iggy: "Hey, we move on. It's nothing personal.
    Susan: "He could have showed up unexpectantly at a more convenient time."
    Again, watch "Born On The Fourth of July", or read the Washington Post or New York Times.

"Didn't Jane know he was selling wine in Iraq?"
    Yes, but..
    Jane: Yeah, I noticed your leg.
    Walton: A little souvenir I picked up from one of Saddam's henchman.
    Walton clearly implies that he saw more than just wine customers. Hence Jane's idea of why Walton is there dramatically changes (not to mention Walton's disheveled appearance, at odds with what she knows of him)
    "Was he homeless?"
    Walton: "Do you know the Novotel? I'm living next door in the parking garage?"
    So, yes he's homeless.
    He also mentions that he gave away his furniture, gave up his apartment and loaned his truck to his pastor who is not returning his calls. He is unable to get any compensation from Spirits (which he clearly states). The company has turned his back on him much like governments historically turn their backs on soldiers who do their bidding.

As for Stella and Desmond and their quick kiss. Hmm. At the risk of getting personal, how long did it take before you kissed your now husband? Passion is quick.

As for your comments about the previous episode, watch Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

davies748

[10]Apr 22, 2007

???  I don't get it.  We're supposed to read The Washington Post or watch Kubrick movies to fully appreciate this show? That's hilarious!

Lots of shows have references to other things. The Simpsons, Family Guy, 30 Rock, and Scrubs to name a few comedies.  But those shows are all still funny and smart whether you get the references or not.  Also, the references are used organically in their stories.  I've found, in the few Jane Shows I've watched, that a reference will be shoved in whether it serves the plot and characters or not. 

If you're telling viewers to go read some newspaper or rent an old movie, you're kind of condescending to them, aren't you?  Sort of like how Jane condescends to all the other characters on the show.  I think the nods to various movies, or the bits of dialogue about world events are obvious in and of themselves, but they're not inherent to the stories you're trying to tell.  That would be my guess as to where the confusion lies.

biffkowalski

[11]Apr 26, 2007
    I do want to say that I am sorry that I am coming across as negative. I really am a nice person. I felt quite bad that the moderator reported me for purposely trying to annoy people. I thought what I had said was funny. Maybe the problem is that I don't read two American papers. Although, I do read local papers and listen to the news so I thought I was aware of what's going on in Iraq. I also know the movies you're paying homage to, however, it still didn't help me in understanding what happened. I felt that even if you gave all your possessions away, you wouldn't suddenly be reduced to brushing your teeth in a puddle. This just didn't seem motivated to me. Over all, I feel that sometimes you don't earn your moments. You write something because it seems funny or interesting but it doesn't seem really character driven. The result is that, at times, stories seem false. My question about the Stella and Desmond kiss wasn't a judgment on how quickly they actually kissed, but rather how quickly the edit seemed. They hardly touched lips and they were cut off. I felt a bit cheated. It could have been a couple seconds longer. BTW, my first kiss with my hubby was our third date and he did it on Queen street. He also grabbed my bum! Anyway, I'm not going to write anymore because I'm not trying to annoy. I was trying to give my opinion, but perhaps on a page where you have many fans, it was a poor choice. Good luck to you and the rest of the gang at The Jane Show. Mrs. Biff Kowalski