The Jay Leno Show Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Mistake

jonnyfan

[1]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 7
    NBC made a huge mistake in promising The Tonight Show to Conan and for going through with it last year. Jay did a great job with The Tonight Show and always won his time slot. They should have just kept him as host of The Tonight Show and just risked Conan leaving if he wanted to. Now, whatever they do they are being unfair to both hosts. It's not fair to push Conan back a half hour to make room for Jay. It would also be unfair to let Jay go completely. What a mess. Everyone is blaming Jay for the whole thing. But I think if he had it his way, he would have never left The Tonight Show. I think he just went along with it because that's what NBC wanted. Johnny Carson did the show for 30 years, so they should have just let Jay do it for many more years.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rebel-Man

[2]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 16
    I agree, I wouldn't like being forced in to retirement either. All the prior hosts of the Tonight Show left ON THEIR OWN ACCORD.

EJamison

[3]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 17

It seems like Jay is going to regain the 60-min "Tonight Show" and Conan will just go away for a while with the assumption he'll eventually resurface somewhere -- probably at FOX.

Although Conan is probably too young to retire, I wonder if he has enough money to live the rest of his life comfortably if he decided to just do that. I also wonder if Leno will lose all the lame bits that were new to his prime-time show.

Rebel-Man

[4]Jan 15, 2010
    I think it's silly to say Conan has no money. THEY ALL HAVE MONEY. NBC would have to shell out like 40 million dollars, would that not be enough to live on? I doubt his contract beforehand was a cheapo either. All of these people. Dear God, probably all of our incomes combined would not come close to that yet we are still living in a house. End rant

jonnyfan

[5]Jan 15, 2010
    • level: 7
    So are they giving Jay "The Tonight Show" name back, or are they still going to call it "The Jay Leno Show"?

Rebel-Man

[6]Jan 15, 2010
    I have heard so many odd and conflicting stories but I guess we'll just have to tune in to find out This is the most drama I have seen all over TV in a long time.

robodog1000

[7]Jan 20, 2010

After getting sick of Jay Leno and not caring about late night in general i moved on from late night. While I still consider myself done with late night, i still feel both conan and jay should have their own show, just so at least their is a market for everyone (Even though their is also letterman, Ferguson,kimmel,fallon,carson...Did i forget anyone?)

And also where did all of conans support come from, where were they when he needed the ratings? Whatever i just wish all the late night comics could get along and just keep their appeal to their markets. However i know they never will and it just makes me glad i dropped interest from the late night market after losing interest in the comedic style of late night comedy.

Rebel-Man

[8]Jan 21, 2010
    Very true. Conan was loosing to Letterman even last summer before Jay came along in September. then magically this mess starts and ratings go up and fans magically appear. Fans need to be there for the whole duration not just when something bad happens.

stellarchick86

[9]Feb 2, 2010
    • level: 32
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    I think it's silly to say Conan has no money. THEY ALL HAVE MONEY. NBC would have to shell out like 40 million dollars, would that not be enough to live on? I doubt his contract beforehand was a cheapo either. All of these people. Dear God, probably all of our incomes combined would not come close to that yet we are still living in a house. End rant

Conan had $40 mill yes but 7.5 of that went to staff members. So now its at $32.5. Then that still didnt include enough severance package members for all the staff members that got screwed so Conan shelled out yet ANOTHER 600k out of his own pocket. So yes thats enough to live on but hes not getting the WHOLE $40mill. Not to mention after its gets taxed up the yingyang it still wont be as much and if he goes to another network he will have to work for free for a year otherwise he wouldnt get any of it.
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    I agree, I wouldn't like being forced in to retirement either. All the prior hosts of the Tonight Show left ON THEIR OWN ACCORD.

Someone seems to have forgotten about Carson being forced to retire when Leno squeezed him out of a job so in order to save face he said he was retiring. Why is that okay? Not to mention when Carson retired, he RETIRED. He didnt go and try to find another job somewhere else to compete with Leno. He didnt put on a big pitty party about it.

End rant.

Edited on 02/02/2010 3:48pm

Rebel-Man

[10]Feb 4, 2010
    Who in the world told you that last half? He retired on his own accord. I swear I get so aggravated at the pure bollocks that some to do make Jay look like Satan's second hand. It starts to bring down credibility pretty darn fast. I think Wanda Sykes on Jay tonight summed all this up pretty good. People acting like you are suppose to take sides. Then trumping up false facts and all that jazz. I am sure Conan's lawyers help orchestrate some of this back from 2004 behind closed doors but as usual he gets projected as the innocent guy who lives in poverty. They are all well off regardless. Good grief. People act like their lives revolve around all this. It's television folks.

stellarchick86

[11]Feb 4, 2010
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    Who in the world told you that last half? He retired on his own accord. I swear I get so aggravated at the pure bollocks that some to do make Jay look like Satan's second hand. It starts to bring down credibility pretty darn fast. I think Wanda Sykes on Jay tonight summed all this up pretty good. People acting like you are suppose to take sides. Then trumping up false facts and all that jazz. I am sure Conan's lawyers help orchestrate some of this back from 2004 behind closed doors but as usual he gets projected as the innocent guy who lives in poverty. They are all well off regardless. Good grief. People act like their lives revolve around all this. It's television folks.

Alot of people know that offhand. And I read it in an article online. I dont keep every article I read offhand but I want to say the source was the NY Times who wrote it. It was like a 5 page thing that had a lot of good info and quotes from the people involved (Letterman, Leno, Carson and a few NBC execs). It was also in that 'Late Shift' movie (so Ive been told, I havent got a chance to watch it yet because its still in my que in Netflix). If he didnt, then why didnt Carson ever go onto The Tonight Show when Leno was on? Even if he wouldve preferred Letterman, I still dont think Carson wouldve had a problem going onto his show, it wouldve been more of a problem with NBC than with Jay personally.

And I dont need to make Jay look like Satan because he already does that himself. He lies, throws people under the bus, takes peoples jobs that was his fault they had to leave to begin with, all kinds of stuff. I didnt mind Jay until all this stuff went down but I actually went out and educated myself on what was going on. I didnt put blinders on and learn everything I need to know by Oprah interviews and by what WANDA SYKES has to say (oh yeah..Im sure shes not good friends with Jay and trying to give him a good image...) that didnt get to 10% of the truth of what was going on. All it did was just damage control Jays image somewhat but it didnt get to near the amount of truth it shouldve. Yet people think now "oh okay, well no biggie then, Jays okay". THATS whats frustrating to me. If you like Jay then fine, even watch his show, I really dont care! But 1. educate yourself before you make such decision and 2. dont drag down Conan because he did NOTHING to deserve it. And how convenient that you do so on here AND on the Tonight Show website and then people dispute what you have to say, you say "its just TV folks". Certaintly didnt seem like it before.

Edited on 02/04/2010 10:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Rebel-Man

[12]Feb 5, 2010
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Alot of people know that offhand. And I read it in an article online. I dont keep every article I read offhand but I want to say the source was the NY Times who wrote it. It was like a 5 page thing that had a lot of good info and quotes from the people involved (Letterman, Leno, Carson and a few NBC execs). It was also in that 'Late Shift' movie (so Ive been told, I havent got a chance to watch it yet because its still in my que in Netflix). If he didnt, then why didnt Carson ever go onto The Tonight Show when Leno was on? Even if he wouldve preferred Letterman, I still dont think Carson wouldve had a problem going onto his show, it wouldve been more of a problem with NBC than with Jay personally.

And I dont need to make Jay look like Satan because he already does that himself. He lies, throws people under the bus, takes peoples jobs that was his fault they had to leave to begin with, all kinds of stuff. I didnt mind Jay until all this stuff went down but I actually went out and educated myself on what was going on. I didnt put blinders on and learn everything I need to know by Oprah interviews and by what WANDA SYKES has to say (oh yeah..Im sure shes not good friends with Jay and trying to give him a good image...) that didnt get to 10% of the truth of what was going on. All it did was just damage control Jays image somewhat but it didnt get to near the amount of truth it shouldve. Yet people think now "oh okay, well no biggie then, Jays okay". THATS whats frustrating to me. If you like Jay then fine, even watch his show, I really dont care! But 1. educate yourself before you make such decision and 2. dont drag down Conan because he did NOTHING to deserve it. And how convenient that you do so on here AND on the Tonight Show website and then people dispute what you have to say, you say "its just TV folks". Certaintly didnt seem like it before.

I have seen a small clip of that Late shift movie and it was basically his manager that tried to let Jay take the Tonight Show when Carson retired. He was I want to say 67 at the time anyway, did you think he did not want to retire or something? He had been on for over 30 years. Ed McMahon, Carsons side kick, I don't belive was ever on Dave's Late Show BUT was on The Tonight Show with Jay numerous times after all that and they got along perfectly swell for the gloom and impending danger I get from some people.

Carson may have "wanted" Letterman to be the successor but that was NBC's decision and apparently they actually did it right that time. Dave has overall bombed in viewership. I have very much educated myself on all this I just have a keen eye on "Jay is such a dirty man" comments from reality. You are acting like Jay is the owner of NBCU. When he is not. He is just a worker like Conan is. You do what your boss says. And you deflected me on whether Conan did anything behind to scenes to try to get the Tonight Show quickly in 2004. But as we all know. Jay is evil and owns NBC and Conan is the innocent lamb on Mount Sinai in all this. I still blame NBC for making a horrid decision in the one area they were still #1.

The only late night hosts that have remained sane have been Jimmy Fallon, Craig Ferguson and Wanda Sykes. Letterman just knows Jay will make him not be #1 anymore. Kimmel is just being a but wipe as usual since he has accomplished nothing on ABC.

Ah well this is all under the rug now. NOne of the late night people are even mentioning it now not even Letterman. I heard Conan may get an offer to be on FOX's sister show for 4 nights a week on FX. They don't wan to take the risk that early to bomb their late night since the affliaties do very well after 11pm. They bombed with Joan Rivers, Arsenio Hall and various others. Conan has a "nitch" audience as in it's a small sample. Out of the things I have watched the one thing I enjoyed THE MOST the the heads on the TV screen from his late night show he did not even bring to the Tonight Show.

stellarchick86

[13]Feb 5, 2010

Okay. In general Im sure Carson would want to retire since he was 67 but he didnt want to AT THE TIME. Lenos agent, Hellen something or other, put that article in the paper about Carson retiring. When they came back to Jay and said did you do it/know anything about it, he lied, as usual, and said he knew nothing about it. But Carson knew and was p!ssed and never went onto TTS w/ Jay for it. He came on The Late Show with Letterman a lot and even gave him a bunch of jokes to use. I never said anything about Ed McMahon being on or not being on Lenos show. Thats irrelevant. And considering he was going broke for quite a long time before he died, I wouldnt be surprised he went ANYWHERE he could be paid for doing so.

As far as what Conan has done or not done behind the scenes, I dont know because I heard 2 different reports: 1 was that Jay was retiring and handed it over and 2 was that Conan wanted TTS and Jay agreed to it. I actually believe more in the later but I dont believe that makes Conan a bad person regardless. He had very good ratings in 2004 and wanted to be able to take over TTS, his dream job. NBC agreed and obviously Jay agreed to it at some point too. A lot of people have said that Jay is a workaholic and would probably continue with TTS until he drops dead or basically cant anymore. Conan is already 47, how much longer was he supposed to wait until he was able to get it? When HE was in his 60s? It seems to me that a lot of things happened for Conan when he was younger than Leno was at the time. So Leno was probably around the same age, if not older, when he was on TTS w/ Carson and getting his stand up off the ground when Conan already had Late Night. So its not fair to him to have to wait forever because Leno wasnt ready to give it up because he probably wouldnt ever be. He seems to only identify himself with having a TV show. Conan was on for 17 years as well, hes paid his dues. Yes I know NBC was the one who came up with this whole Tonight Show/Jay Leno Show formula but regardless of who crafted the decision in the first place, Leno either shouldnt have lied and said that he was willing to retire if he wasnt which he came back later and said was a lie) and basically agree to the situation or 2. go somewhere else. He knew what he was doing when he suggested TJLS (and yes, he suggested it, I read it in an article last night) and a lot of people have said he bombed on purpose. When thinking about all the things I know about Leno, I wouldnt be surprised. As Ive mentioned many times Leno was the one dragging Conans name through the mud talkin about his ratings when 1. Leno was the lead-in and 2. Lenos ratings were the problems in the first place. The affiliates werent looking to cancel TTS, they were looking to cancel The Jay Leno Show. And it boggles my mind that people can stand behind their "hero" like that and support him for that. That is why I said get educated in the situation.

As far as the other talk show hosts are concerned, I really dont care but 1. Fallon is trying his best to hold onto a rocky job, a lot of people say that they hate his monologues and in general dont find him to be very good (which is why he cut his monologue time back a lot) and he isnt doing that great ratings-wise. He even mentioned on one of the Late Night w/ Jimmy shows I HAVE watched that he addressed this situation and said "Im just lucky to have a job right now" and didnt speak on one side or another. Im sure him coming on the Ten@Ten the other night was a major part of damage control so younger viewers can say "Oh well Jimmy doesnt have a problem with Leno, I wont either". So even if he was on Lenos side (which I doubt he is, Conan did give him a job afterall and made a tribute to him on his last night) I really wouldnt hold it to him and a lot of people see through that. 2. Wanda is friends with Jay so I dont take her opinion any more seriously than Oprahs. Im sure a lot of it also is that she doesnt want to see Conan on the air because he will most likely be on M-F and her show is on Sats. I cant imagine her showing doing THAT great on a Saturday and if she has someone else come in 5 times a week beforehand and is saying the same exact thing she is, her ratings will go way down. So Im kinda eh on Wanda too because of her ulterior motives. 3. I dont watch/listen to what Ferguson has to say so I dont care there but regardless of whose side he choses (which I believe is Conan from what Ive heard), he doesnt really have a stake in it either way, he has nothing to gain from chosing one side or the other 4. Letterman Im sure a lot of it is just capitalizing on sour grapes hes had for Leno but in general hes also a friend and mentor to Conan. He gave him Late Night and the only time he appeared on a NBC show is when he came to Late Night w/ Conan to congratulate him. 5. Kimmell/Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert/Sarah Silverman and those younger comedians seem to be mostly on Conans side because they are friends with him and in general seem to not like Leno. A few other comedians dont either that dont have a late night talk show: Howard Stern, Patton Oswalt, George Lopez, Rosie ODonnell, and I think there are a few others Im forgetting.

As far as his FX show goes, its pretty dumb because they are acting like he is just starting out with a talk show (like Hall, Sykes, Rivers, etc) but I guess I can understand the restraint since FOX hasnt had luck with this in the past. But theres always a new story every day regarding what Conans doing next so until he announces it or looks more "official" in some way, I cant really comment on it. Its the same way with them looking for a new judge on American Idol. Ive heard Elton John, Ive heard Howard Stern, all kinds of people. Im just sort of like okay whatever when it comes time Ill know who it will be.

Edited on 02/05/2010 5:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.