The Jeffersons

CBS (ended 1985)

boechsner

The Jeffersons Fan Reviews (21)

• Better then All In The Family And All of Norman Lear Other Shows.the best show ever on television the chemistry between Isabel Sanford and Sherman Hemsley is wonderful to watch on and off camra.

the greatest show of all time With the Greatest Characters Of all Time The chemistry Between Isabel Sanford And Sherman Hemsley is wonderful And You Can Tell they clicked off camra too,and the show Had The Best Supporting Cast Ever with The Willis,Florence who trade insult with George And Mother Jefferson who also trade insult with Louise and lionel and jenny jeffersons.
    A Must see For Any Body That Want Some Real Comedy,It Al Here the insult,wisecracks,Racial remarks,put downs and one liners and arguments in every episodes. The Jeffersons Have The Greatest Ensemble Cast Of All Time Period.
  • This is an awesome show, funny and a great family show

To bad this show ended it is really a good show. The Jeffersons is about George Jefferson (Sherman Hemsley), Louise Jefferson (Isabel Sanford), and their son Lionel that "move on up" into a spacious high rise apartment. George found success in a having his own dry cleaning business. Lionel was attending college and graduated in February 1976, and he married Jenny Willis in December of the same year and they had a daughter in 1979, Jessica Jefferson. Tom and Helen Willis were upstairs neighbors, also known as Jenny's parents and Florence Johnston was the Jefferson's sassy maid who was hired as a part-time maid in the first episode but in October 1976 moved in and became a full-time maid.
  • Excellent.

Funny thing, I never did see an episode of the Jeffersons before the year 2006. Then one night they were showing a marathon of it on Nick-at-Nite. It was both funny at times and intersting at times. My favorite episode in particular was when Louise slapped Lionel when he was talking smack to her about dropping out of school. I think that episode was both influential to both children and adults. I watch the show now on TV Land at 7:00 and 7:30 PM weekdays. My favorite characters were Florence and George. I liked Florence because she never let anyone take advantage of her and she was nice. I like george because he's just the short smart allecky guy, and I like that.
  • Oh what can I say about the Jeffersons. A show about a couple who moved on up in the sky and got a piece of the pie.

This show was a great show and I really miss seeing it on television. I don't see it no more, and there are no channels that I know of that is showing it. This show thought us about life lessons and was funny at the same time. George Jefferson, was a mean, stubborn, and likeable character. He made us laugh, and sometimes he made us angry, but he still was one of a kind. His wife Lousie Jefferson was kind, loveable, funny, and beautiful. She knew how to get back at George and set him straight.
    Florence was a beauitful, funny, down to earth, and loveable maid. She cleaned and did what any maid would do, on her own time that is. There were many other great characters too like the Willis, Tom Willis and Helen Willis, and their daughter Jenny, who fell in love with the Jeffersons son Lionel.
  • they should air re-runs

ii use to love this show i rember watching it when i was small they should at least show re-runs this show was halerious i look in the tv guid but i cant find any channel that airs it nick at night use to showw all these good shows but now nickelodeon is nothing but crap there shows suck they should re air a classic like this one
  • Finally got a peice of the pie.

I loved watching reruns of this show. The whole cast made me laugh. It should be back on TV Land where it belongs. This show was the begining for such classics like Fresh Prince, Different Strokes, and Cosby Show. Defently a classic show that is still funny after all these years.
  • The Jeffersons is a spin off of All In The Family

I love watching reruns of the Jeffersons on tv land!! It is one of the greatest shows ever!! I laugh for hours whenever I watch the Jeffersons! This show is truly a classic. And the theme song is one of my favorites! I'm so glad that they gave sherman hemsley his own show after he appeared on All In The Family.
  • Loved it.

As a child of the 1970's, this was one of my favorite shows. I never missed an episode of George and Weezy during the show's prime. Just the attitude George had and the way he and Florence shot insults back and forth at each other was priceless. But Louise could always put him in his place when necessary. However, he would occasionally show his softer side and the way he really felt about Louise. Classic show from the 70's-if you've never seen it, you're missing out on a good piece of TV history.
  • Right. Season 1 is easily the best season, for its educational appeal... season 2 sees a change in format; the bickering funnier than the social commentary...

I bought the DVDs for the first two seasons.

Season 1 is terrific. A bit rough with Florence, who doesn\'t seem as much a send-up as she seems a stereotype. But the rest of it is there: The educational slant, the infighting social commentary slant, you name it.

Unfortunately, season 2 nixes the educational slant. There are some good moments, and the bickering now sublime, but it\'s a changed show. Lionel being different speaks volumes in of itself too. Understandably, Mike Evans (THE Lionel) probably wanted more and left. (he was also involved in \"Good Times\", before Jimmy Walker made it into his own puerile show.)

Lionel returns in later seasons, so when they become available I\'ll re-evaluate. Right now, only season 1 has components I loved.
  • Funny And Well Written....

This is like The ONLY Show that I will watch that Norman Lear had anything to do with... There are other people that produced this show... Somebody named Mike Milligan, and Don Nicholl, Michael Ross, Bernie West, ( "Three's Company" Producers ) and Peter Casey and David Lee ( "Cheers" And "Wings" Producers ) And it is produced by TAT Communications and NRW Productions... ( Three's Company Producers are NRW and DLT ) "The Jeffersons" was on for 11 years!! It has over 200 Episodes... And it has an interesting theme song.. which I am still learning all the words to it... I have watched many episodes ( It has been on many times recently, and previously it wasn't even on TV Land, because "The Jeffersons" And "Good Times" episodes were recently syndicated... ) and they are very funny and very well written... It is set in New York, ( every other show is set there, ) but it is still a great show, and you can't find many shows ( especilly today's current shows ) that are as good as this one... George can be annoying, but he can also be very helpful. And It is funny when Louise, or Wheezie, says anything that she wants to, and it is very funny when they all have arguements... This is one of the best shows, and It is very recommended, and should have more spin offs or something... And if there are some spin offs, then I don't know about them...
  • To me the Jeffersons is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Even though i have seen most of the episdoes it still keeps me laughing.

To me the Jeffersons is one of the funniest shows ever done. I think it's another of those shows that was ahead of it's time. I think that the acting was great, and that the stories were great. I like how their was so many socail issues that were coverd during the show, especially the racial issue of blakc and white and how they had the first black and white married couple on t.v. Back then that was a big thing, but now nobody would care if they saw an interacial couple together. To me I think that the Jeffersons helped to break down the wall to a lot of racial problems that we had back in the 70's.
  • a deluxe apartment

I love this show, it broke barriers and was very funny and well acted , it is still one of my Fave 70's shows wish it was on TV land all the time.. but I catch reruns in syndication.. george was great.. the whole cast was funy I love it
  • The Jeffersons: Groundbreaking, Touching, and Always Funny!

People tend to think of "The Cosby Show" as the first to show a prominent professional Black family. However, The Jeffersons featured George as a newly minted millionaire who never forgot his roots. Louise was a prototypical black mom, who was a former maid, and now had a maid. Despite all the demographic aspects of the show, it never lost its heart. Sometimes a bit corny perhaps, the show never got to a point where it was no longer relevant. People always cared what George would do next.

It's true, the show greatly deserved a proper sendoff.
  • im movin on up

I love htis show so much the jeffersons were the only good part about all in the family im so happy they got their own show ya this is really funny watch it all the time say it was funny too when they were on Fresh Prince of Bel Air

EROK
  • They don't make them like they used to.

They don't make them like they used to. I remember when this show first aired. It was a very funny show. George was so pig headed and the women were always giving him a hard time. I also think this was one of the first shows, though I may be mistaken to have a mixed race couple on it. Very trendsetting. Their theme song was catchy and remained on the tips of the tongues of many.
  • A great classic sitcom, ahead of it's time in some ways. I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. This is one sitcom that's worth it.

The Jeffersons was a great sitcom dealing with many issues of the time. The Jeffersons aired before I was born, but I remember some of the later episodes. It was a show that probably started contraversy at first, being one of the few black shows on the air. Back then I'm sure it wasn't well received at first. I'm glad it lasted a long time, it was a sitcom that you could actually laugh at. It was your typical put down sitcom like a lot others are now days and even a decade or so ago. The Jeffersons is one sitcom I think everyone can agree with.
  • The Jeffersons is a series dealing with classicism, racism and how they can affect people on many levels. George and Louise Jefferson are an up and coming couple from Queens, New York who show a rare glimpse of how the other half lives.

George, Louise and Lionel Jefferson are a family on the rise. As a business owner, George Jefferson heads this family without grace and finesse but he brings home the bacon. Louise Jefferson volunteers for charity functions and generally seems to drift through life always dressed in casual elegance, replete with diamonds and boufant hair/wigs. Lionel makes appearances in the series, but early-on he's away at college and his actor changes part-way throught the series; kinda'a confusing. Mamma Jefferson is George's mom and always makes and entrance with either huffy annoyance or complete and total regality. Florence is the maidservant of the household and holds her owns up against the colorful cast. This is a good situational comedy; highly recommended.
  • A good sit com from the 70's.

A good sit com from the 70's. This was a spin off fron All In The Family. The Jeffersons were neighbors of the Bunkers. The show stared Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson and Isabel Sanford as his wife Louise Jefferson. George was running a dry cleaning business if i remember correctly. The show covered a lot of racial issues and had to be on the if not the first to show an inter racial marriage on TV. That couple was played by Franklin Cover as Tom Willis and Roxie Roker as Helen Willis. He was white and she was black. Marla Gibbs played the Jeffersoons maid Florence Johnston. She and George would often have verbal confrontations that were very funny. A pretty good show.

• The Jefferson's was great for a laugh yesterday and still is today.

I loved Olivia the most, when she'd intrude on Louise and talk in her squeaky voice, demanding a drink and to take a nap. Louise's exasperation at her and George were hilarious. George did go a little too overboard with the sarcasm though, namely toward Helen and Tom. I realize a lot of that was to counteract Archie Bunker's vociferous racism, but it doesn't sound good coming from a person of any ethnicity. I always felt badly for Tom, because of George's behavior, but thought he was a really neat character. He and Helen had an occasional tiff, but I always thought their marriage was a good example to George and Louise, despite George's hatred for their union. However, Lionel and Jenny provided a good link between the two families, solidifying the two fathers whether or not George liked it. And Florence was priceless. She probably knew how to handle George better than anyone on the show, and that, along with her witty and friendly personality was her crowning achievment.
  • Another trendsetter. . .

6.9
    This time Norman Lear took a different view showing us what a upper class black family was like during the 1970s. It took us into the home of George and Louise Jefferson and made us laugh for 11 seasons. However, like most shows that last 11 seasons, after a while, it just gets boring. The 1980s brought the women's movement, and there was not much more to complain about, the world had become more open for women's opportunities and unemployment wasn't as bad, therefore the show could not poke fun at the economy which it originally set out to do.
  • Nice one!

6.6
    The Jeffersons happened to be a spin off from All in the Family. I loved the relationship between George's mother played the wonderful Zara Cully who passed away during the series long run and Louise known as Weezy played by the wonderful Isabel Sanford. Then they brought in Florence as the maid played by the hilarious Marla Gibbs, the sparks flew between her and George. Not those kind of sparks but a funny rapport between the two to last for years. The show explored everything like interracial relationships and race with tact and dignity. My most memorable moments from the show were about George being secret Santa to a Harlem family who now lived in his building. But then who could forget George opening the George Jefferon Museum. I am glad to watch this show again one night a week on a local station which pays homage to the seventies shows like the Jeffersons. The show had a stellar supporting cast like Roxie Roker and Franklin Cover as the interracial couple, the Willises, who become dear friends of the Jeffersons. Isabel Sanford passed away about a year ago. She was the first African American woman to win an Emmy for Best Leading Actress in a Comedy Series. She was very worthy to be a pioneer for the rest. The fact that Sanford was twenty years older than Helmsley is fascinating. Isabel always looked fabulous and younger than her actual age. I miss Isabel. She was one of a kind!