The Jetsons

Astro's Big Moment

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Jan 05, 1985 on ABC

• Even as a kid I noticed something was amiss to another wise decent episode.

6.9
    As the summary says, George becomes the reluctant judge of a dog show with his wife, a thug, and his boss breathing down his neck to choose their dog as the winner. While it's understandable for the thug and Mr. Spacely (I enjoyed the dream sequence where he was chasing George in a devil outfit) to make threats to George, even at eight-years-old (when I first saw this episode) it seemed really out of character for Jane to resort to manipulating George with the threat that "Elroy will lose all respect for him" if he didn't vote for Astro. Jane is normally a fair woman who doesn't spoil her kids so why would she be demanding her husband bend-over backwards to give Elroy special treatment? Lucky for George the other dogs get into some accidents that cause them to be disqualified, making Astro the winner and one starving stray happy. Overall, it's a fairly enjoyable episode, but it's Jane's uncharacteristic attitude that kinda ruined it for me when I was little and costed me some respect for Jane herself.