The Kennedys

The First Campaign

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 03, 2011 on ReelzChannel

• This episode was marginally better than the first one but where in the world are Ted and Joan Kennedy?

Whilst I realise that the crux of the mini-series concerns the political rise of John F. Kennedy and his brother, Robert, who became President and Attorney General respectively, I have to wonder where on earth Edward Kennedy and his wife, Joan, have been during all of this? Whilst Ted was not the most important factor of JFK's presidential campaign, he was certainly a part of it and yet, we have not seen him at all, instead, we see Joseph Kennedy Sr. meeting with mob boss Sam Giancana and his buddy, Frank Sinatra. They don't bother to mention that Frank was good friends with actor Peter Lawford, a fellow Rat Packer who also happened to be married to JKF's sister, Pat, with whom he had four children.

Again, many important things (and people) are left out, while relatively minor aspects are included. The shining light for me was Barry Pepper's performance as Robert Kennedy. He may not look quite the part, but at least he has made the effort to study his subject and get his voice and mannerisms as close to the mark as possible while the excellent Tom Wilkinson seems to have been instructed to sound like a manic Hannibal Lecter rather than the tough-minded, hard-nosed Kennedy family patriarch. He is certainly capable of much better work than this. Greg Kinnear continues to submit a solid and believable performance as President Kennedy, which is good to see.