A The Killing Community
Netflix (ended 2014)

Hey this sounds familiar. AMC has canceled its dreary, wet detective drama The Killing after three seasons, according to Deadline Hollywood, ending an interesting saga for one of the more polarizing series on television. At least, we think it's ended. The Killing has been killed before: AMC first canceled the series after its second season, in July of 2012. But with a new game plan and a promise to correct the things that pissed fans off in Seasons 1 and 2, the series successfully coaxed a third season out of AMC in January of 2013.   

The Killing turned things around a bit in Season 3, with many critics giving it high fives. However, the ratings didn't improve much, and Season 3 finished with 1.5 million viewers, a teeny-tiny improvement over Season 2's 1.4 million.

It's impossible not to discuss the possibility of second miracle reincarnation, especially with Netflix hanging around eying left-for-dead series like a hungry hawk. But The Killing wore out most of its goodwill with its first season, and has little traction that any network would be interested in. Would YOU want to pick up The Killing if you were an exec?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/1/2014

Season 4 : Episode 6

133 Comments
Comments (133)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I suppose we have to thank to this site for taking out this piece of news from the home site. It doesn't show anymore in the most popular news, even though it is more popular than the new one the got in. This is the kind of reason that got this show cancelled and ratings lowered. Good job, guys.
Flag
One more thing. Thanks to everyone who has shown their support by taking the time to sign the petition to save The Killing. The numbers are going up! Just keep spreading the word and maybe the network will see that we are just as serious about saving the show as we were last time. Take care and good luck all! Peace, Diane
Flag
bring back the killing :

https://www.change.org/petitions/bring-back-the-killing
Flag
voted! come on, guys, give this a vote :)
Flag
such a shame because I've watched this from the beginning and i've enjoyed it immensely, so i'm sad to see it go especially after that final episode.
Flag
What about us people who hate the killing? Should we send a letter of appreciation to AMC for putting that poor horse out of its misery?
Flag
you can do that, or you know, just use the remote and change to something else - that's what I do when i don't like something that other people enjoy.
Flag
I was only kidding Elvie! I'd rather get a job working with blind kids or lepers than watch another second of the killing.

It's got nice atmospherics though. When its too sunny out, I turn on the killing and it brings me back into a state of depression. Hand me those pills will ya?
Flag
Why on Earth would you post a comment that insinuates suicide or at least an attempt? Especially with all the people who have lost their lives due to an overdose. IMO, the comment was very much uncalled for and was made either out of ignorance or was just plain cold. Hate the show all you want but please be responsible with what you write. Thank you. Peace, Diane
Flag
The answer to your question is: he thinks he is being funny.
Flag
When people are depressed they take anti depressants to raise their dopamine levels so that they no longer feel depressed. I see that never occurred to you. Maybe instead of wishing me ''peace'', you should try to find some for yourself. You obviously need to lash out at someone since you're 'fabricating ways to be appalled.' :)
I will say what I want , thanks for your permission and your totally unwarranted outcry. >PWNED
Flag
yep, taking pills is a good solution too :) I never feel depressed after watching The Killing, though.
Flag
ATTENTION all fans of :"The Killing": television series!

I did a search and found a petition. Btw, ty to the person who started it. I'm not sure if what is posted below is an actual link. If not, you can do a search at change.org. Just type Renew The Killing for Season 4 in the search box and you should find the petition.
Petition | Renew The Killing for Season 4 | Change.org

The petition already has more than 7,500 signatures. Please add yours and share a link on your Facebook page so your friends can help save the show as well. Good luck and peace to all. Diane
Flag
nah, it always says that you still need that many or that many, but it doesn't mean anything - you just need to get as many as you can so that it makes more noise... i signed this, but it would need to get about 1 million signatures so that is visible to the network at all.
Flag
Oops. I got the signature total wrong. It's 7,092 and we only need 2,908 more. That doesn't seem like a whole lot. I am very optimistic! Peace, Diane
Flag
I don't really need one more season to wrap anything up - But reallly - why are we asking for "one more season"? This is a fine show - just let it be a full series.
Flag
NOOOOOO!! Please don't cancel The Killing!! Love this show, we need at least one more
season please please please please !!!!
Flag
I'm surprised it lasted three seasons... I couldn't last three episodes myself.

Flag
Because its really sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. T-minus 28 episodes to solve a single murder mystery!
Flag
I'm hoping that this is just a ploy they have going to keep the show in the TV news while they work on a new season...
Flag
DAMN! This series was so good! I loved that Linden was so moody and I loved that the series was dark, but without awful main characters, unlike The Bridge for instance. The third season was GREAT! I hope they will make a fourth season and come back!
Flag
I want another season!!! This was the best out of the three...
Flag
Linden was too moody, I got the first season DVD but couldn't bring myself to watch her any more second for the Season 2.
Flag
She was supposed to be that way but to each his own.
Flag
I'm sooo happy seeing so many people giving their love to this show here!
Flag
Please, nonononono!!! I love the show so much!
Flag
The Killing definitely deserves another season to wrap things up. Hopefully Netflix comes to the rescue again.
Flag
I am not an exec.
I am a viewer.
I would love to watch another season of The Killing.

Flag
Nooo.. how is this possible? Why they cancelled this show when so many shitty series continue?
Flag
Ironic aint it?
Flag
3rd Season was excellent. I almost didnt watch it because of the lost potential of the first two seasons. So happy for Netflix... I was able to devour the season in 3 nights and WOW did I love it. The two lead actors are absolutely extraordinary. Hoping that the Netflix numbers were good enough for them to justify a fourth season... the show really seemed to hit its groove this year, so its a pity we won't be able to continue to see the continued development of those great characters.
Flag
This is one of the best shows I have seen on TV in a while, I don't mean action or CGI or huge explosive money spending craziness, just a great overall show with good acting and a great plot and characters you can really get to like or hate. They really made a huge mistake splitting the first story into 2 seasons and they lost a lot of following. It is a pity because I know many people who will really miss this show and I am one of them! Hopefully they can pull another season out of their asses again because it will be missed otherwise.
Flag
wtf AMC! this season was the best out of the three, it was darker, with a great story line...it needs a s4..
Flag
Please AMC don't bullshit with me....
Flag
BULLSHIT!!!!!!! Best show on tv.......
Flag
Staff
AMC is really into zombies. Keeps on destroying this show, it keeps coming back.
Flag
with a heartbeat, this last season was among one of the best plots I have seen for a long time. I am extremely disappointed with AMC. Still, I think you are right, I think we might still have a fouth season yet on a network with smarter executives.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I can relate to that :)
Flag
Aftar the ending of Breaking bad and cancelation of the killing, AMC dont have anything I am interested in .
Flag
Mad Men?
Flag
Nah, Doesnt seems interesting for me.
Flag
Real shame, the 3rd season was excellent IMO.
Flag
I love The Killing : (
Flag
I understand why the show has been cancelled, 12 episodes is too much. The writers very obviously struggle to fill 12 hours. If it is saved (again) they should be given an 8 episode season.
Flag
Dexter was quite successful and is dark as well. It has 8 seasons to date and I believe each season mainly focused on 1 serial killer.Just an observation. :) Peace, Diane
Flag
Exactly and (most of the time) Dexter has faired very well with it's season long antagonists, something The Killing struggled with... but they are two very different shows, it's hard to compare.
Flag
low winter sun is next. that show is awful.

BB, Mad Men and Hell on Wheels all ending very soon.

Which leaves only Walking Dead and reality tv trash. AMC is dead.
Flag
We need another petition to save the show. I signed one last time they said they were going to cancel the show. The actors and the writing is awesome! Especially in the third season. It's also the only show I cared to watch on AMC. I highly agree with those who have pointed out the fact that after the revamping of the show, there was not nearly enough advertising to pull in more viewers and certainly not enough time. If anyone knows how we can start another petition to save ":The Killing": perhaps we can save it again and AMC could give it the time and advertising it deserves, to develop the kind of following I know this show could have. Peace, Diane
Flag
So disappointed this show is getting cancelled. I actually enjoyed the previous seasons, despite being a bit predictable. There was so much to love about the show:

THE LEADS are fantastic and fantastic together. I liked how they didn't try to make Linden too likable and that in itself made her likable (well to me, anyway). She's also smart and doesn't take shit from anyone. Holder is just awesome sauce, from the way he talks to the way he always has Linden's back; like with her kid and when other cops were bitching about her. Also appreciated how the writers didn't feel the need to make them romantically involved with each other, like so many other shows do.

THE LONG ASS EPISODES! I actually liked the whole one-day-one-episode thing; that way we got to know all the characters and their actions seem more realistic. Like when it was revealed that Terry pushed the campaign car into the water, it was believable (rather than just a last minute plot twist) because we saw how guilty she felt through her actions. Also by getting to know all the characters, none of them were simply labeled as a "bad guy" (or a "good guy" for that matter), like in the case of Belko.

I was even fond of the random details, like how they're always smoking (or trying to quit, though they don't seem to be trying very hard..) and how its always raining. Yes, you're not watching the Killing unless it starts to rain. Loved the first two seasons but season three was the difference between a good show and a great show. SO SAVE THIS SHOW NETFLIX, its only gonna get better!

More+
Flag
exactly! ditto for everything.
I thought linden was the best female character we've seen on tv.
and amc sucks. Netflix had planned to get the killing after amc cancelled it last time but amc got jealous that someone else was interested in its ex and wanted it back and renewed it instead. we could of having it on Netflix with no problems already. so I don't know if Netflix would still be interested in it. hopefully it will be.
Flag
Too dark to garner significant ratings I guess.
Netflix the only hope?
Flag
oh no :(
well, at least we had season 3... not surprised to know that the ratings were not so much higher, given the bad advertising and critics that the show had to suffer for most of the season. It was only towards the end that the critics came out and declare all its goodness.

I actually think this type of show could work better in Netflix or a similar one where you can go and watch the episodes whenever you want. So maybe their executives would see it too, who knows.
Flag
this is so sad ...

TKU has gone without conclusion ... we are treated like garbage...

season 3 was fantastic ...

poor linden ...

at least : Two-Hour finale still a possibility...

just to conclude our frustration ...
Flag
what the hell?!
season 3 was so much better than 1 & 2 (and i liked 1 &2).

damn
Flag
If I were an exec, I think I'd pick up The Killing if for no other reason than that I think the production costs wouldn't be all that high. There aren't any big name actors, any stunts, any prop-sets, etc... it's a slow-paced show in places in Vancouver. It should be significantly below average in costs, right? So I might consider it for that reason alone. If I'm not entirely wrong about any of that.
Flag
ive enjoyed all 3 seasons of the killing. i wish they would do another season. to me it is a very underrated show imo. the writing and directing is very good imo and deserves another season.
Flag
I may be the only person on the planet to say this, but I liked the first two seasons. I watched them on netflix, sometimes two or three at a time. I haven't seen season three yet, waiting for it to drop to instant. I really enjoyed the two leads, loved that they followed multiple story arcs surrounding the death, and felt mostly justified at the end of Rosie's story. After way too many CSI's law and orders and NCI crap I liked the different take. And am looking forward to seeing the original as well.
Flag
Gutted. Yes, seasons one and two were dreary, slow, predictable and everything a detective drama shouldn't be but season 3 was an entirely different beast and was better than any season of the raved about European and English detective dramas that I've seen (except, possibly the fist season of Broen). It's a shame it didn't attract viewers, as it would have been easy for new/returning viewers who had missed parts of seasons 1 and 2 to just pick it up at season 3. Netflix to the rescue!!!!
Flag
After canceling RUBICON too early they did the same with The Killing. Wtf AMC?
Flag
I've always liked The Killing, but this season was outstanding! The mood, the darkness, the characther, everything was in its right place. I was so sure they give us another season :(
Netflix should go for it, it is a well written show, and it's not so easy find product like this on tv.
Flag
If its canceld- then we never know what happens after the cliffhanger end of season 3!!!
So, give us an end half-season!
Flag
Really liked this series.. Linden and Holder have both really grown into great characters.. The constant rain of Seattle almost playing a main character itself... Not to mention the theme song gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time... Definately a shame...
Flag
Very solid show gets cancelled because it's too solid for an average viewer. Good acting, balanced pace, great atmosphere. It's not action packed and it doesn't have any sexy vampires. Don't be offended but it's not typically American either. It's all about the money and money comes from silly shows watched by the people looking for pure entertainment on the lowest level.

Shame :(
Flag
I watch silly shows too, I just don't understand why this got so bad reviews to start with. While season 3 was playing, it was defenitely my favourite show.
Flag
Hopefully it can be brought back from the dead... again

Holder <3
Flag
Yeah, the show did seem better but I still didn't care. After five episodes, all I could think about were other shows I should watching instead like Burn Notice, Suits, even Rookie Blue. I'm not glad it's (possibly) gone, but I was done. That probably happened to a lot of people.
Flag
I only watch Suits from those in your list, and Suits is not better than The Killing. Specially not this year. Eventually, it is a lighter show, so maybe you are just in need of lighter shows at the moment. It happens to me too sometimes. If you left after 5 episodes then you left about the same time that this site stopped reviewing the show every week. There's major stuff happening after that. And I don't mean events, but major acting and emotional scenes.
Flag
It's not the lightness, as I'm also kind of enjoying The Birdge, and it's as close to The Killing as anything else right now. And while The Bridge is basically "This show isn't gonna wrap things up anytime soon," The Killing was basically "This show isn't gonna wrap things up...and these people suck."

I can accept that Suits is likely worse this year, as The Killing certainly was better this year, but for me, only one of these shows had the bar set to the ground.
Flag
Oops, I didn't get to the last part you said. I'm sure the...something picked up after I left, but the point was that after cud-chewing excitement of the last two years, I just didn't care about anything that was going on in that show. Even now, I was still thinking "too late, show; I'm done."
Flag
I still have pending to start with the Bridge, although it is in my list. I'm sorry you feel that way about "The Killing". I can understand that you don't want to watch the show because it doesn't have enough interest for you, but putting the bar to the ground, i really don't understand.
Flag
You liked rookie blue more than the killing? Wow. I Liked the killing but waiting 28 episode to solve one crime turned me off completely. i didnt watch any of season three, but I still liked it more than rookie blue . blue was too sterile. i mean it wasn't gritty enough.
Flag
Yeah, Rookie Blue's a soap opera. Two guy cops aren't gonna go around not only talking about whether or not they're in love with their new girl, but they're really not gonna bring it up outta nowhere *and* keep pressing the other about it.

I don't like it much, but if I'm home and nothing better's on (and there really isn't), I'll turn it on and keep it on. It doesn't piss me off. I used to turn The Killing off all the time, and I still did it this year.
Flag
:) Damn. Blue definitely has a following. I hear people talking about it all the time. Others say season 3 of the killing was the best yet. I wouldnt know either way. I been watchin Low Winter Sun which is confusing as hell. I like ''The Bridge'' though. Between ''Bridge'' and ''Copper'' I'm cool.
Flag
By people, do you mean guys? It's watchable, but NYPD Blue, it is not.

Yeah, season 3 of The Killing is better than the last two, but how hard was that, right? Low Winter Sun isn't bad, but the main guy seems to be getting dumber every episode (haven't seen the last one yet). How do you know to drown a guy in salt water, but not know it still needs to match the actual lake water? And he's lead-character lucky he hasn't been killed already running around town trying to find his ex. Ehh, whatever.
Flag
Not so bothered about The Killing, so long as Joel Kinnaman gets a good role doing something worthwhile straight away. Had the series dropped the character of Linden entirely and been Holder-centric I think it would have been the better for it.
Flag
He's playing Robocop in the movie reboot. Yay?
Flag
LOL. you hated Linden too huh? The shouldve used someone hotter like Milena Govich.
Flag
Not hated, I just couldn't relate to her character. The only time she seemed like people was when she was joking around with Holder. I like that they used an everywoman actress for the role. Sadly it just wasn't a great role.
Flag
she always seemed depressed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members