A The Killing Community
Netflix (ended 2014)

You know that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where Eric Idle is yelling, "Bring out your dead!" and the one guy is still alive and he's all, "I'm not dead yet!" Well, imagine that scenario, but pretend The Killing is the guy who's attempting to convince the world that he's not dead, that he's getting better, and the world is going, "No you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment." Basically, what I'm trying to say is: The Killing is back, y'all, and you have Netflix to thank for it. 

Yes, it's true: The streaming service is resurrecting the twice-canceled AMC drama for a six-episode fourth and "final" season. AMC won't be involved; the episodes will air exclusively on Netflix. 

Let's run down a brief history of the show's life (and death) so far, just for fun:

APRIL 2011: The Killing premieres on AMC to rave critical reviews

JUNE 2011: After screwing with viewers heads by feeding them multiple red herrings, The Killing's Season 1 finale royally pisses off everyone on the internet by not solving the central mystery of who killed Rosie Larsen.

APRIL 2012: The Killing returns for Season 2, but struggles to earn back the viewers it lost after Season 1.

JUNE 2012: The Killing's extremely convoluted second season wraps up with a finale that finally reveals Rosie's murderer

JULY 2012: The Killing is canceled by AMC... for the first time

AUGUST 2012: Rumors begin to swirl that Netflix or DirecTV might want to resurrect the show.

NOVEMBER 2012: Rumors continue to swirl that the show might return, via a partnership between AMC and Netflix

JANUARY 2013: The Killing is renewed by AMC for a third season. Netflix eventually agrees to pays for some of the production costs in exchange for earlier-than-usual streaming rights. 

JUNE-AUGUST 2013: The Killing Season 3 shows much improvement over Seasons 1 and 2, ultimately impressing critics but only doing so-so in the ratings. 

SEPTEMBER 2013: The Killing is canceled by AMC for the second time in its short life. Fools that we are, we apparently tempted fate with headline, "AMC Cancels The Killing (Maybe) Probably for Good This Time."

NOVEMBER 2013: Netflix saves the show from the grave yet again. 

And that's how we got to where we are today, kids. Stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman will both return for Season 4, as will the series' writing staff. Production will begin in February 2014.

Welcome back, Stephen Holder, I guess you were just too precious to be locked away forever.

thekaitling:list:what-are-your-thoughts-on-this-latest-resurrection-for-the-killing/

This is probably a stupid question, but are you excited to see one last case? Or would you prefer the The Killing to stay dead?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/1/2014

Season 4 : Episode 6

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW!!! It's like reading a great novel!! It's an insomniacs dream!!
Flag
Can't believe I missed this news as I'm here almost every day! However, GREAT F*CKING NEWS!!!
Flag
I just finished the season 3 finale and came here to see if the show would be returning. So happy to hear that it will, and Netflix doesn't have commercials :)
I love this show; the characters, the scenery, the storylines, just everything about it. And...it is so refreshing to see a show in which the actresses don't look like supermodels and the actors don't look like they just stepped out of a sexy hunks calendar LOL Although, I wouldn't mind seeing one that included Holden ;)
Flag
Score one for Netflix. Just finished watching S3 on Neftlix, after watching S1/2 over the course of the previous few months. Great series, S3 was an improvement on an already good show. Glad to see NF has the stones to bring it back even if only 6 eps. let them finish the show appropriately.
Flag
THANK GOD !!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Hmm... Netflix should buy the Danish show instead and launch that with english subtitles, a way better series ...then agaibn, I am biased being danish and all :-)
Flag
Yeay!! Bring on the drums..!
Flag
I never watched this show and I don't even know what it is about, BUT I am more than happy that Netflix is stepping in and saving (apparently) good shows that don't get the ratings the cable stations or networks dream of.
If I would be living in the US I would SO subscribe to Netflix.

Now, let's go even further, Netflix: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekEnterpriseSeason5NetflixCampaign
Flag
Nice. I always found it laughable that people were pissed at The Killing's First season because it didn't resolve the Rosie Larsen Case at its end, yet Homeland did essentially exactly the same thing with Brody's case, by not resolving that in its first season but got praised for it.
Flag
The Killing made promises about its first season it obviously didn't intend on keeping(giving us the killer in season 1 finale), Homeland made no such promise.
Flag
apples and oranges..
Flag
Not really. Subject matter is different no doubt but the way its structured not so much.

**SPOILERS** Throughout the first season of HOMELAND, we were thrown red herrings constantly and we didn't know if Brody was really going to carry out his mission or if Carrie was going to get him. There were sub stories, but a main one being Dana Brody's teenager exploits and her relationship with her dad. At the end, we still didn't know what to think of Brody (trust him or not) and Carrie in her ill state would presumably still have to go after Brody on her own next season.

Turn to The Killing, and we were thrown red herrings constantly and we didn't know who the real killer and we didn't know if we could trust Holden or not.. Nor did we know if Linden was going to solve this case and get the real killer. There was a weak sub story with Linden's son and his teenager exploits and with his relationship with his mom. At the end we didn't know if we could trust Holden based on Linden's findings and we are led to presume Linden is on her own in going after the Killer next season.** END SPOILERS**

Both shows were slow burns (The Killing a bit slower), had great acting and some fun twists. Again, It amazes me how HOMELAND got much more praise for doing basically the same thing.

More +
Flag
I liked homeland a lot more. It never struck me as a show where cases are solved. It struck me as a ''war on terror'' type ongoing struggle. I don't think there's ever been a murder case that took two seasons to solve in the history of television. Homeland was slow and laden with herrings but its something I would watch on dvd. I don't want to keep getting enthralled with red herrings that do nothing but stall for time, and there was just too much of that on the killing. Really thats the only thing I didnt like about the show. Way too much of it.
Flag
The Killing has impeccable chemistry with characters Holder and Linden. The story sucked at some point (specially the Rosie Larsen case) but the leads kept things afloat. But these two and the gloomy, cloudy Seattle backdrop made me smile that there's still six episode to look up to...
Flag
Great News,
Flag
Yeah buddy!! Any network that would dump this brilliant series has doo-doo in their brain!!
Flag
Yay!! We did it,they will be back! Thank god for netflix!
Flag
YES!
Flag
OMG!!! I'm so happy! I can't describe! OMFG!!!! Hurray!
Thank you, Netflix! So much!
Flag
I'm tempted to reactive netflix but what are they going to do with six episodes?
Flag
Six episodes is plenty. Obviously they'll have to scale back on some character development and detail work but they can still do a kick ass procedural in 6 eps. No question about it.
Flag
Netflix may release a season's worth of episodes, all at once. Thats how they did ''Orange is the New Black''. Thats probably the only way I'd watch this show. I hate slow shows.
Flag
If the final season is written by the people who wrote season 3, then it should be worth watching. However with the kind of pace the show have, how can they tell a good story with only 6 episodes? It would sucks if the shows ends off with a bad taste after a successful (for those who watch) season 3.
Flag
Rubicon was so much better.
Flag
Good, but slooowwww. It is probably what got it canceled, as we seem to prefer chase-and-shoot-em-up TV as opposed to something strictly character driven that will take seemingly forever to unravel the core mystery of. Time and patience were required to be drawn into what Rubicon was about and I don't think many viewers had, or wanted, that.
Flag
Very slow. But it was an cerebral thriller with several layers of espionage that they could have went through. And though slow, it had more action in comparison to The Killing in regards to their first season.

But I agree, Rubicon had to grab people those first few episodes and they were in fact slow. But dammit it would have been good.
Flag
Season 3 was so damn amaaaazing though (RIP Bullet, miss u), so on one hand I hope they keep up the great quality and also wrap up that dumb cliffhanger.

On the other hand, I already said my goodbyes to you, The Killing, and I was resigned to waiting for the actors to go on to bigger and better things. Quit jerking me around.
Flag
I bet actors sometimes regret signing multi-season contracts which tie them to TV shows with chaotic production plans.

The positive thing is that now this show gets a proper ending. That's something I always appreciate. Leaving the viewers hanging is a terrible move, especially when they have dedicated years of their lives to watching a show. How they will finish The Killing in only six episodes is of course a question mark. It can be done, but the final season will probably be very different from any of the three previous ones.
Flag
I'm very glad about this, though it's only 6 episodes. Well, better than nothing. The Killing is one of the few shows that I continue to watch.
Flag
Hehehehe...I love The Killing!!!
Flag
I've never really liked the show, but it's always been decent enough to keep watching. I'll prooooobably tune in for the new run, unless life gets busier and I have to cut down my TV watching... then it's shows like this that get cut first.
Flag
How about cutting down on life when TV watching gets busier?
Flag
That's what I do!
Flag
HODOR!
Hodor hoodor hodor, hodor.
Flag
Great show, all around. True, it's not one for the action junky, but the constant dark tones, the rain, and other beautiful shooting alone make it worth watching. Add to that the excellent acting, and decent enough scripts, and well, good stuff all around.
Flag
Loved this show. Loved Seasons 1 and 2. Don't believe Season 3 was as good. I have a nice long attention span and like a show that goes on and on, so all the complaints about how this show was handled seem simplistic to me. It always feels as though the reviewers on this site really had something against the show--not sure why. I think it is good Netflix is wrapping it up with a short series. We all want to know what happened to Linden and how Holder will try to help her.
Flag
Holder's hoodie has magic powers...
Flag
I am such a huge fan of this show!!!
Flag
As much as I enjoy the bulk of The Killing—and at times it's truly excellent television—I don't know of any other show that can botch a season-ending scene as spectacularly and completely as it does. I was truly infuriated by the end of Season 1 and sorely disappointed with the closing moments of an otherwise strong Season 3, each of which features a bone-headed decision by one of the leads that have always felt violently out of character and needlessly complicating.

But I can't say that I'm disappointed for more Stephen Holder. Why hasn't Joel Kinnaman found another vehicle worthy of his talent?
Flag
Couldn't disagree with you more about the Season 1 ending. I was annoyed a bit at first that the plot wasn't wrapped up, but then I just got into the spirit of looking forward to the next season, knowing there would be more of the same stuff I liked from Season 1 coming my way. Not sure which one of the leads did a bone-headed thing at the end of Season 1, as my memory doesn't go back that far. I agree that Season 3 ended with Linden going out of character. I think that moment was saved by Holder's reaction, which was perfect.
Flag
I'll give it to Holder's reaction as well. Certainly, I'm not sure how the show will handle Linden's actions going forward. I'm not entirely sure how—Linden's testimony aside—they'll be able to accumulate the necessary evidence against the killer.

*Season 1 SPOILER* In the closing minutes of the final Season 1 episode, it was revealed that Holder had the incriminating bridge photo of Richmond photoshopped. All season long, Holder had been more than willing to employ unorthodox methods, but to go so far as to completely fabricate evidence that couldn't POSSIBLY hold up in the investigation, much less at trial, is difficult to believe. I didn't necessarily need the murder to be solved, but that ending infuriated me. It felt like a stop-gap cliffhanger, which could neatly wrap up the murder if the show wasn't renewed but could collapse the investigation if the show-runners needed to prolong it.
Flag
You certainly make a good point about Holder and the first season. I remember that revelation made my heart beat a bit faster and got me further interested in what was going on, but in reflecting on it again, from your point of view, I agree it came out of nowhere and it really seemed impossible that Holder, who had been working so arduously on the case, could be involved in the cover up--hence that feeling this act was out of character. But, then, the whole first season was a season of twists and turns that some viewers didn't like. I personally was fine with the various investigative trails that led to dead ends. And at the time Holder's act just seemed like another twist--albeit a pretty big one. Guess I didn't mind that.
Flag
Yes Yes Yes cant wait for it to aired!!
Flag
So when this gets a ton of views on Netflix will the quotes around "final" season be dropped? I'm excited to see this, I have enjoyed all this show
Flag
I really hope so.
Flag
Wow, The Killing is like a TVD character, it always comes back to life.
Flag
YES,YES,Yes,Yes,yes,yES,yeS.................
Flag
It's like the Chuck Norris of t.v. shows.

Flag

Yes, though I'm a little surprised the actors agreed to come back. Does anyone know how long the original series lasted?
Flag
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826760/

It looks like they did the first season in 2007, the second in 2009 and the third in 2012. (WTF?) Don't know if it's officially cancelled or not. I haven't seen it.
Flag
Lol, one of the actors is named Morten Suurballe. To a Swedish person, that last name means "sour cock", although, we would spell it with one "u". What does it mean in Danish?
Flag
Brilliant news! Season 3 was a superb "reboot" and the wife and I already enjoyed the first two seasons a lot. Just a shame it's only 6 episodes and only a final season.
Flag
utter wow on this thing
Flag
Going by the end of last season, you mean, "Welcome back, Sarah Linden, I guess you were just too precious to be locked away forever."

I'm pleased it's back but also wondering if just six episodes is enough to clear the air whilst, no doubt, injecting 'one last case'...
Flag
Holder yes, Linden meh.
Flag
yayyyyy!!!!!!!!! *So* happy about it!!! ^___^
Flag
This last season was the best. The writing about the characters was the best and had more depth. I can't believe AMC. Thank you Netflix. Six episodes is not enough.
Flag
Seriously? haha Whatever, gives me hope that if shows I actually care about get cancelled, they can always get picked up elsewhere.
Flag
They should re-titile it the Walking Dead.

I thought this last season was much better than the first two, as it was more focused, and it ended with a satisfying cliffhanger. I am guessing, hoping, the 6 episodes are going to address what happens to Enos for what she did, but if not, what is the point?
Flag
So sick of this dreary show; it keeps getting cancelled and brought back and each time the response is negative! No one ever seems happy with this show. I'm getting tired of watching this corpse get dug up and dressed up over and over again. Make your decision and stick with it.

Now as a viewer of the show I can't stand it. It's like Twin Peaks if you took all of the humor and interesting supernatural elements away from it. The storylines are as pale as the dreary colors presented on the show.
Flag
Season 3 received rave reviews and Netflix obviously knows more about the real viewership numbers if they picked it up. Finishing the series will be an asset to their library and keep subscribers.

So there lots of people happy with The Killing.
Flag
"So there lots of people happy with The Killing"

But apparently not enough; because of those people who don't watch or like it, the show keeps getting cancelled. Not to mention the craziness that resulted over the Rosie Larsen mystery not being resolved. Of course not, when you have a great mystery, you should keep building on it and not completely end it.
Flag
No just no, enough already. There are so many more worthy shows to save.
Flag
Season three was terrific. Glad to see The Killing coming back for another "final" season.
Flag
You go Killing!!
Show "The Bridge" how it's done!!
Flag
THEY NEED TO STOP PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!!!! EITHER CANCEL IT FOR REAL OR BRING IT BACK FOR GOOD
Flag
this show needs more support from AMC. not as good as BB and TWD but still good enough. I can't wait to see the new episodes!
Flag
AMC doesn't deserve The Killing after all of this. It's a perfect fit for Netflix.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members