A The Killing Community
Netflix (ended 2014)

The Killing S0311 / S0312: "From Up Here" / "The Road to Hamelin"

It's rather stunning, The Killing's turnaround, not only within this season but as a whole series. Season 3—once you put its early and minor missteps and contrivances aside—was probably what The Killing wanted to be from the start: tight procedural fare with strong, character-driven moments.

In its first half, the season struggled to give the Pied Piper case much of a human element. Yes, Ray Seward's guilt or innocence provided some stakes for Linden (though at times it never felt like enough), and the search for Kallie served Danette and Bullet (oh, I hope Bex Taylor-Klaus has herself a juicy part lined up soon) wonderfully, but it sometimes just never hung very well. But then the three episodes leading up to the two-hour finale—"Try," "Reckoning," and "Six Minutes"—happened, and suddenly the stories all had weight.

Everyone, it turned out, was attempting to escape from something or someone, from Pastor Mike on up the line, and in any way that they could. Linden was trying to escape being a cop and the pain that came with it; Seward was trying to escape his inner demons; the homeless youths were trying to escape all sorts of things, from uncaring parents to, ultimately, new lives and new possibilities; even Holder was trying to escape his past self with Caroline, in his attempt to hide it from her. Whereas Rosie Larsen's death sent the characters into a tailspin of grief-stricken lies and truths and political revelations that ended up feeling disconnected from one another, Kallie Leeds' disappearance (and death) fixed all of Season 3's threads to a single conceit, and the series was all the stronger for it.

That is, until the the second hour of the finale sort of tugged at the season's loose thread and sort of unraveled things just a bit. The result wasn't enough to demolish my enjoyment and appreciation of the season, but "The Road to Hamelin" was unnecessarily clichéd and tidy.

We've discussed The Killing's love of red herrings and fake-outs, and while such things are part and parcel of the mystery, detective, and police genres, this show has abused them in the past. Season 3 was better about it, discarding the scarlet fish before they started to stink up the place. Sure, for me, Reddick in particular stuck out for a long while—it was so very convenient that he was the one who found the rings in Joe Mills's storage unit—but as soon as "From Up Here" started pointing us toward him, it was obviously going to be Skinner.

So, fine, The Killing wanted to revel in the reveal, and that's fine; it'd earned as much. Season 3 was very strong overall, and there was plenty of goodwill to spend. Indeed, watching Linden and Holder in "From Up Here" was a delight. They were joking with one another, relieved that the Pied Piper case was solved, and they were prepared to deal with another body. Then there was the thrill of watching them figure out what we'd all known since, at the very latest, Bullet's death: that the real killer was a cop. The mad chase and connecting of dots was great, and the ambiguity of whether it was Skinner or Reddick—who called Internal Affairs? What about the timeline for grabbing Adrian?—was played up to perfectly suspenseful levels.

That's why the reveal, which came in the early going of "The Road to Hamelin," was just so damn effective. Even if it weren't for the gradual realization, complete with the tinny sounds of an ice cream truck, the sprinkler, and all the other auditory trappings of suburbia mixed with the slowed-down score (and providing a nice juxtaposition to all the nature effects from the start of "From Up Here"), it still would've been a beautifully executed moment as Linden put it all together, triggered by the ring on Skinner's daughter's finger.

Nothing was going to be as good as that, though, and so the rest of the episode wasn't nearly as compelling as it probably should've been. During the first half of the season, I was frustrated by how impersonal the case was seeming for Linden, how much it didn't seem to be getting to her. Not only did the three episodes preceding the finale fix that, but the finale doubled down with Skinner being the killer; he was the man she viewed as a way to be happy, and she was the woman he saw as a way to stop killing all that "human garbage."

Part of the problem was that the show had already done the long drive-and-talk—and more successfully—with Linden and Pastor Mike. The use of the backseat, the confessional aspect, the mirrors... we'd already seen it, so we were left with Linden pointing a gun at Skinner while he drove. It was appropriate, perhaps, given the much closer emotional connection between the two, but it was far less visually interesting.

And because it was less visually interesting, the fact that much of the rest of the episode was basically the tail end of Se7en felt even more apparent, with the audience at home likely thinking, "What's in the trunk?!" and Skinner doing his best to rile Linden enough to make her kill him. I want to say that his mind games, and her reactions, tore me up, but they left me unmoved beyond a very basic, "I like and care for Linden, and I want her to be happy." Perhaps I just wasn't invested enough in the idea of Skinner making that happen for Linden, so I wasn't as devastated when it was snatched away from her. Perhaps I'd determined it was probably a cop early enough that I unconsciously vowed not to get attached to that development.

I suppose I should close out the season with a discussion of catharsis, since some of the best discussions we had in the comments centered on the topic. The Killing, as I've said, excels at delaying—or outright denying—that feeling. The past few episodes, and the first half (and change) of the finale, excelled at providing it. They were emotionally charged and expressive; if you didn't let out a small sob as Seward saw Adrian from the window or when Danette closed her eyes and counted to five on the bridge, you need to get help. Just absolutely riveting to watch on all sorts of levels. The shooting of Skinner, however, felt like a misguided attempt to give us a feeling of relief—"Whew, the case is finally over!"—while still leaving some lingering questions, should AMC order a fourth season (Season 3's ratings were about on par with Season 2's). Namely, what would happen with Linden following all this?

However, it also felt like something of a "Fuck you!" to the people who were frustrated, angry, and hypercritical of the Season 1 finale. "Not only did we provided a resolution to the case," the show said, "but we also killed an innocent man for it and killed the the guy who actually did it. How do you like them apples?" Which seems like a petty and unnecessary way to respond to jaded viewers, especially after the surprising renaissance The Killing has experienced, both creatively and critically. It was as if the show had been harboring pent-up rage about its reception and finally let it all out, giving itself a catharsis that the rest of us probably weren't looking for.

It isn't enough to make me write off the season entirely, not by a long shot. Yes, it was an annoying way to end things, but it doesn't diminish the season's overall accomplishment of finding—and keeping—the balance between character and plot that The Killing had been striving for since its very first episode. And the show produced in "Six Minutes" probably of the best hours of television this season. That's nothing to scoff at. 

RAIN-SPLATTERED NOTES

– So I guess Henderson was just an audience surrogate for our death row story? At least there's some nice ambiguity as to what we, and he, was supposed to draw from that plot, beyond Seward's struggles. Would love to hear your thoughts about it in the comments.

– I would also love to hear your thoughts about the Lyric and Twitch. Obviously Lyric's not able to get comfortable in a new, clean life. But what do we make of Twitch?

– I liked Holder's heather gray hoodie much more than the normal gray one.

– "How many solves you think I’m going to get with a guy who looks like Fat Hitler?"

– "The cat’s got its hand in the jelly jar." Why would a cat have its paw... oh, never mind. 

– "Do your thing, 1-900."

– I appreciated how Skinner's daughter described Linden as "The woman from work. With the hair." instead of "The woman from work. With the sweaters."

– Holder's bomb scare cracked me up, as did Reddick's response. He may be a jerk, and a bit lazy, but he did turn out to be decent police.

– I will say that this finale made me appreciate The Fall that much more. You should check it out, if Emily hasn't already convinced you. It's really superb.

– Best episodes of the season: "The Jungle," "Hope Kills," "Try," "Reckoning," and "Six Minutes"

What'd you think of The Killing's Season 3 finale and the season as a whole?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/1/2014

Season 4 : Episode 6

108 Comments
Comments (108)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
you know what still annoys me - we NEVER saw Linden checking on Joe Mills alibi - she just believed it. he was in Alaska? ok
like wtf? and btw if she would have told that to the guys up there they might have not killed Seward - and she said she would do that and suddenly she decided not to?

Flag
I really liked this season! Six minutes was one of the best episodes Ive ever seen. So dont get me wrong - i really like the killing BUT the longer I think about it the more Im annoyed with curtain things:
x Linden... oh Linden I was screaming at her a few times. JUST ASK THE BOY WHY HE IS DRAWING THIS PICTURE or DONT YOU WANNA ASK THAT MOM HOW SHE ESCAPED AND WHAT HAPPENED? its really frustrating cause she is a cop you know. I know this isnt CSI or Law and Order but come on. the worst was really when Seward said: I was there that night and she gets up and runs away and i was like: are u f****** kidding me?? Thankfully Holder was there to stop her but wtf? How about asking: why were u there? thats actually really annoying and in season 1+2 it was even worse - I mean she destroyed a few people and stuff just cause she never asked questions.
x Linden + Skinner. See the thing is I didnt really care that much about them and I didnt know that Linden was soo in love with Skinner. I know they didnt wanna show more of him cause then it would have been more obvious but the way they did it I wasnt really feeling much. I mean ok we heard they were together once - well kind of - they had an affair. then there was one little scene where they were kind of nearly kissing and thats it. He was still with his wife and she never said a word bout him - no flashbacks nothing. So I really didnt even know that she is so serious bout him. And only one nice scene in the last episode wont make me feel so much sorry. cause even then I didnt realize that she is into him that much (and her weird smiles haha). So when she shot him I was kind of annoyed and it was just so obvious that would happen.. why didnt holder take her gun or went in front of him? he wanted her to shoot him and she did - thats a bit weak Linden (which I would understand if I would have known the couple better)
More+
Flag
I really enjoyed watching this show. If it wasn't for Netflix I would never have been able to get back into this series.

Season 3 is my favourite season by far. I'm thrilled that Netflix is picking up the bill for season 4. Even if some people have a problem with Skinner as the serial killer, the fact that Linden had a relationship with him just brings it to a whole different level. I am really looking forward to seeing how Linden's execution of Skinner affects Linden and Holden's relationship.

Flag
If there is a season four, which I hope there will be, I would like to see the series move away from the closely defined, tightly directed aspect of finding a single killer, to a nice juicy wide-open plot that puts Linden and Holder squarely in the public eye, with both dependent now on the pressures of being in the open to the public, while thus being hindered in their investigation abilities from being publicly prominent. The inner darkness coming from their frustrations of being hampered by public dependency on them, while both become immersed in the darkest of places that their investigation of the case is taking them. You could have comic relief, light while in the public's view, against the dark evils of the case as it unfolds itself.
Flag
Just finished watching on Netflix. Sped through S3 much faster than I did S1&2, there's a reason for that. Really good television here. Great acting and character chemistry, sometimes a bit heavy on the red herrings but compelling television to be sure. Happy to read that Netflix is picking it up for a 4th season. Love seeing shows that improve, plenty to work with as a season to season procedural.
Flag
'The Killing' has to be the grimmest goddamn TV show I've ever seen; the skies are always grey and dreary, colors are usually (tho not always) washed out earth tones that contribute an extra element of drabness to each scene, poverty and squalor are the order of the day, even when it involves characters with money & social position, (they have money and/or power, but are always hopelessly corrupt and sleazy), and nobody ever smiles or laughs in a way that says: 'Hey, I feel good! I feel alright! Everything's going smooth and even for me today!' Then there's the recreational/chemical excesses of most of the characters: whether it's tobacco & caffeine, or alcohol & tobacco, or crack and alcohol & tobacco, or pot and etc., you get the idea....anyway, despite all this, there's Holder. I like Linden's character, although her habit of being asked direct questions that she never seems inclined to answer, wears a little thin at times, but Holder is just the shit. His posture, his mumbling street talk, sharp wit and those goddamn eyes of his: he looks thru a suspect like he (or she) is made of glass. Nothing gets past him. He approaches his work like an accomplished chess grand master: he's several jumps ahead of the competition, and his squalid appearance and use of slang persuades his opponents that he's just another donut-gobbling, chain smoking, lite weight. To their unsuspecting dismay. Also: I know this is picking a pretty petty nit with the shows writers, but how does Skinner hold down a job as pressured and time consuming as his has to be, AND have a family, AND still find the time to kill all those kids, without eliciting ANY notice or suspicion from his colleagues? It just seems a little too convenient. But that's a minor point. One other thing: the execution of Seward was a realistic as it gets; the only other movie execution I can recall that was as ghastly and stomach clenching as Seward's was Sean Penn's in 'Dead Man Walking'. People (usually conservative types) like to brag about how they could 'pull the switch, or the trigger, or activate the lethal drugs, just let me at 'em...' but in reality, that's just macho bullshit. The killing of another human in that kind of freezing cold blood, has got to be a bitch for the people intimately involved. And Seward's agonizing march to the gibbet told you everything you'd ever need to know about what's going thru the mind of the condemned man. Excellent series. Not as good as 'The Wire', but certainly an 8 on a 10 scale.
More+
Flag
Genuiely thought it was one of the prison guys for a while. That last half of the episode was pretty boring though, Skinner just wasn't believable for me. Nor any other police officer in the series for that matter.
Flag
I loved this season of the killing, it was such an improvement from the previous seasons! But the really broke my heart by killing off Bullet and Seward. I guess the characters nor the audience gets to enjoy any little happiness with this season, but it's ok, it was all good. Now I'll just begin my withdrawl with The Fall and hope it gets renewed for a fourth season. Being a fan is just so tough these uncertain days..
Flag
I love this season and as before Holder and Linden have excellent screen chemistry plus the third wheel is the sad depressing gloomy Seattle (why Bullet? why?). This is the best season for me and it did end with a bang(-bang)! Hats off. You will be missed.
Flag
I thought this season was excellent. I love the interaction between the Linden and Holder characters. I just hope there is enough evidence that Skinner was the killer as they may only have Linden (the scorned lover) and Holder (former drug addict) as witnesses.
Peter Saarsgard was terrific and should win some award for his performance.
I had 2 suspects in mind mid way through. The CO and a police officer but wasn't sure which one. Further along it was the CO and Skinner but after the execution it was Skinner for me. Having said that The Killing is known for red herrings so I wasn't sure until I saw the ring on the daughter.
My hopes for Season 4:
Kaylee from Firefly gets more screen times
The season is summer and Linden does not wear a knitted jumper.
The season is summer and Holder gets his shirt off (I will keep dreaming!)
The script is as solid or better than S3
Flag
The knitted jumper is the defining piece of clothing for the original Sara Lund character in the Danish series "Forbrydelsen" that The Killing is based on.
Flag
I think this season had lots of strengths: it was a truly intriguing case, there was social commentary, superb acting (Kallie's mother, Holder, Linden, the priest, the kids), real good drama (that's what I think The Killing is all about), and we finally saw good weather in Seattle in the finale! I didn't like the finale, though. Having killed the real killer makes no sense to me. Linden should've known better: Seward was wrongly killed and another guy, Joe Mills, would have had the same ending. How about the other victims that were buried/dumped somewhere? What about justice for those girls and closure to their families? And it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, since she had a lot of time to think while they were driving. It felt like they wanted to provide viewers with a shocking moment - someone who believed and worked for the system taking justice in her own hands and killing the son of a bitch. Still, not very coherent to the show's investigative nature. If there is a season 4, they'll probably waste precious time solving this useless cliffhanger.
Flag
I agree with you. And we've seen Linden's darkest (i.e. crazy) moments before, and she was totally in control this season. I get it, loving and sleeping with such a guy must fuck you up, but come on, this is a cop who's lost her head tons of time because of caring too much for the victims we're talking about. I felt a little played at that but, well, it was this a good season..
Flag
I love how The Killing is uncomfortable to watch. With the networks having everything so sanitized, it is pure greatness. That's not to say I don't get mad at the show. Sometimes the pacing is so slow I want to scream..
Plus the side show of the whole prison sequences added nothing to the series and even hurt it because Holder was no where to be seen. The whack job guard and his family were the most WTF moments of this past season...

The best was Holder and Bullet. Bullet helped show the great humanity of our two favorite
detectives and I hope it has 4-5 more seasons..

I do have to add. The ending, where do they go from here? Hope they figure it out.

Flag
I agree with you on Holder and Bullet - and my heart will take some time to get over Bullet btw. But I disagree with Seward, for me it was one of the high points. Although it could have been better if there was a little more coming from Linden regarding him.
Flag
Subtle-ish stuff I loved about the season and finale:
Skinner keeping Linden close (one way or the other) whenever there was an active investigation of someone he killed going all the way back to their affair during the Seward case.
Reddick turning out to be a good person and good police. Unlike the other officers, the glimpse we got of his family was a good one and when he punched Holder it was because of the bomb scare's impact on them. He had Holder's best interests at heart when they were partners trying to navigate the career ladder and cut H slack even after getting attacked in his own home.
How much I care about Linden even when she's wrong, dumb (why get into that car with Skinner?) and/or awful (borderline crazy doesn't mean you get a pass for sleeping with a married man).
Kallie's mom appearing randomly in scenes, almost always sharing a story about her daughter, as if she's been turned into a ghost by the loss.
The less than glamorous presentation of Lyric's straight life. There are a lot of stops between rags and riches and turning tricks can seem easy by comparison.

Stuff I still don't get:
Did Seward know it was Skinner? If so, how? And why didn't he tell Linden?
Why was so much story line spent on that a$$h@le prison guard?
How did Bullet know it was Skinner?
More+
Flag
The season finale was stupid. It was ridiculous and it made no sense. This 12 hour long season was no different than any hour long crime drama on TV. The killer is never the first, nor second, nor third most obvious person. It's one of the three you could never imagine. And in this case it's the boss. A man who gave no indication whatsoever throughout the season that he was a prolific serial killer, even after it was revealed to be him and it absolutely did not fit. It didn't work and it taught us nothing. The ending was exactly the same as the the prior season in that it was every bit as awkward. In both cases the "real killer" turned out to be nothing like a killer at all. This kind of ridiculousness reminds me of the plot on a daytime soap. It's funny because while I stayed glued to the show throughout the entire season, during the last hour I almost completely lost interest. I'm sorry I wasted my time and gave this show another chance. I won't make that mistake again.
Flag
It's amazing how some people watch and yet don't understand. The killings are not what the series is about. It's about the lives of the two detectives and their interactions with each other and the people they come into contact with..

You should go watch CWI and not try to understand something you don't appear to get.
Flag
Actually I do get it. The problem is that the series is a mature real life depiction of life and death and grief until the very end of each season when it descends into ridiculousness.The series is better than that. It deserves a better ending. I understand it better than you do.
Flag
Yep I concur, a very bad ending. I felt embarrassed for Elias Koteas who is one of my favourite actors having to deliver that non-sense dialogue in the car. I mean "garbage people" seriously? What about the ring stuff? Some kind of tree-house building serial killer? Why didn't he snatch Seward's kid earlier? He was happy to believe he wouldn't remember until Linden said he would one day? It was like he couldn't even come up with reasons why he turned out to be the killer.

Felt like this was some quick replacement to a real ending. Oh and Linden getting in the car [eye roll], I hope this isn't police procedure unless I'm the hostage. :-) But seriously it made me think of that talk in the Green Hornet "The problem with heroes are that everyone knows he's the good guy, so the bad guy just grabs a civilian hostage and suddenly he's got the good guy by the balls!"
Flag
I agree with what you said about police procedures: I can't stand these things anymore! Why wouldn't people act like they do in real life? She could have been killed and nobody would have found out about the real killer - and there would be no justice for the ones killed and Joe Mills, who was wrongly incriminated. And all that because of a claim that he had the boy? Make him say where he was keeping him afterwards - either by threats or a deal or something. And I never understood why they never asked Adrian the question: "Where the fuck are these trees you've been drawing?" That's why The Walking Dead makes me so mad at times - people don't seem to act/say the things they would in real life.
Flag
They knew why he was drawing the trees. The drawings lead Sarah to the dump site at the beginning of the season.
Flag
:-) After potentially being a witness to horrific murder a kid "repeatedly" draws a unique grouping of trees. "Yep, nothing to see here! Just a kid with a tree fetish working out his grief with art therapy" Would of been OK if it was Reddick on the case but it was Linden and Skinner. You'd think she'd know better given her history and Skinner must of been sweating bricks every time the kid got hold of a pen and another piece of paper and started colouring away.
Flag
Ha ha ha! Nice to picture that!
Flag
Regardless of some of the reviews here, I thought this season was great! I was so all over Linden shooting Skinner.
6 minutes had to be one of the most disturbing episode. The foreshadowing of the neck not breaking still did not prepare.
Excellent season!
Flag
A season 4 could be great. Many interesting things could happen after Linden killed the killer.
Flag
I understood the reasons of Skinner, but not about the rings, or the body of Kallie. The end was like watching the final of "S7VEN". I think one more episodes was necessary,
Flag
Unless I missed it, there is no explanation about why taking the rings and cutting their ring fingers, does anyone know?
Flag
I do get taking the rings - it's a recurring thing at least. But I don't get sawing off the fingers. It just seems as a easy way to identify the MO on burned and decomposed victims. But fine, i'll turn my head on it.
Flag
I don't believe the writers the need to explain everything to their audience. Although it's called the Killing, it is way more about the characters. It seems that the people who think the end all, be all is the mystery are the most disappointed.

If there is a next season, try just watching Linden and Holder interact. That is the series. Like my favorite moments are in passing. Remember the first episode where Holder asked Linden if she quit smoking. She replied she had and he said he has as well..The very next scene showed them both smoking..It was pure gold.
Flag
I still thought it might have been Seward's CO right up until the reveal.
Flag
I liked Linden's decision to kill Skinner. For me it felt organic but maybe I'm in the minority who understood the lady with the hair.
I really liked this season although it was clear to me from the first episode that Skinner is the killer. No doubt never. And still I was thoroughly entertained the whole season long, that's saying something about this season especially compared to seas 1&2.
"Six Minutes" was the best.
Flag
I really hope the actress that played "Bullet" gets more roles. She gave a superb and fantastic performance on the show.
Flag
I just found out the actress that played "Bullet" (Real Name: Bex-Taylor-Klaus) will guest star on two episodes of "Arrow"
Flag
Totally! Bullet was one of the best things for me this season. And her death was a blow! I just kept saying to myself that they wouldn't off her, she was such a fighter..
Flag
Hmh ... I felt the shooting was unnecessary and felt awkward. Other than that I liked the season. Just wish there wer emore breadcrumbs here and there leading to him.
Flag
Great review. This season definitely excelled at wrapping up all the loose ends up in a single swoop. Even though I was convinced of a cop killer from the instant Reddick walked around the corner with those rings, and I was screaming "Where did he get those!?" at the TV, the show still did a wonderful job of making me (the viewer) question my own beliefs, all the way until the end.

My biggest personal relief from the finale came with Seward. The whole time I was convinced he was innocent, but was just as frustrated as Linden as to why he would neither confirm or deny he was there that night, or if he was truly innocent. But once the truth came out, it all made sense. Who would believe an inmate on death row that a cop came to his house to kill his son, but killed his wife while she was trying to defend him? The strongest point of the season, in my opinion, was Sewards storyline (made possible only by Sarsgaard). If it wasn't for his unbelievable acting on the episode of his hanging, and that feeling of bitterness the show left you with, only to turn around and show you later why he kept his mouth shut, and why he was truly innocent, made the season worth every minute.
More+
Flag
you know that still annoys me - we NEVER saw Linden checking on Joe Mills alibi - she just believed it. he was in Alaska? ok
like wtf? and btw if she would have told that to the guys up there they might have not killed Seward - and she said she would do that and suddenly she decided not to?
Flag
Spot On Review AGAIN! My favorite line - Do your thang 1-900..I'll have to use that one.
They did take us to seedy Seattle...I hope to never visit again. I think they killed off Bullet too early. I didn't mesh with her character so when she was killed I didn't feel much like missing her. She was in the way of the investigation far too often and it made me mad at her rather than pity her. If she had just helped once or kidded around with Holder a little longer, I may have believed that she was the pit pull trying to protect Kallie. She just didn't have the street cred they wanted her to have...
I don't see how they can redeem Linden..I mean she fell in love with a serial killer and is supposed to be a good detective. I wouldn't EVER trust my instints again. No wonder she killed him. He killed her sense of self. When we realized it was Skinner, I felt....deflated. Easy out. I LOVED the Second Season because even though it seemed the Aunt had something to do with Rosie's death, it floored me that she was the one that pushed the car in the water and then acted like she cared for the family. THAT was DEEP and kept me thinking of betrayal on so many levels for days. Sisterly love..yeah right! Sleeping with her sister's husband, killing her sister's kid...WOW! It still floors me. This finale didn't give me that sense of betrayal I should feel. I just feel that Linden isn't a good detective and she was an idiot for sleeping with a married man who is a serial killer to boot. Hi mom! Meet my fiance....oh I love this man of mine....sigh.
LOVE HOLDER - LOVE HOLDER -LOVE HOLDER!!!
More+
Flag
I thought Peter Sarsgaard's performance as Ray Seward was amazing. He was so good in "Six Minutes", it was spooky! I agree that "Six Minutes" was one of the best episodes of TV I have seen in some time. I hope the academy is paying attention when it's time for nominations.
Flag
Yes! That was the first thought on my mind after Six Minutes, for christ sake give the man an Emmy!
Flag
I totally agree - even though I almost didn't care about that storyline, esp the more 'this-is-life-in-deathrow' moments, Sarsgaard electrified every scene he was in.
In a better world, he'd get an Emmy for support role or whatever TV people get these days...
Flag
Totally agree - we really missed a REVIEW FROM THIS SITE that week. I don't think I will easily forget that episode.
Flag
One way or another, if The Killing goes on, it will be with Linden and Holder.
Flag
I am glad we had a review after the long lay off. The show at least deserve that. This season is probably better than season 2 overall. The series is very dark but the emotional torture it gives you would satisfied most of the sadistic viewer in all of us. Still I would agree THE FALL is way better.
Flag
Being in Linden's sights or under her supposed police care is not recommended. I thought the last seasons were bad enough but this topped it off with a murder and two executions in the last 3 ep's.
One can only imagine how screwed up she'll be if there's a fourth. If there is I'd like more Riddick and Holder, as the two of them crackled when joshing about or in tense times. Leave Linden in a nut farm for at least the first 6 episodes:) Or, as is the trend of late, have her in prison and Holder visit for her 'genius' insight whilst on some new high falootin case.
Flag
Haha Right! Man...I love Enos and feel bad that Linden is such a bad detective. If I ever get murdered, I hope Holder handles my case.
Flag
Yeah. You know those boat size kicks would be workin' it right.
Flag
I think the main theme of this season was trust, or more acurately betrayal of trust. It can be seen within all the realtionships of this season:
1-The worst, the betrayal of trust between Skinner and Linden as lovers and colleagues.
2-Bullet lying to Holder, which ultimately lead to her death.
3-Holder and Reddick, which made a joke of partnership between cops, except by the end of the season (just to give us hope, I guess.)
4-Seward hoping seriously that Linden will be able to save him.
5-The whole lost teenage community trusting Pastor Mike, the pedophile.
6- Danette's lack of trust towards Kallie which droveher away and into the brutal life and ultimate tortured death.
7-Danette's trust of her pornographer lover, with the consequences we know and too varied to state all here.
There are probably other examples, but these suffice to make the point that the series wanted to make sure we know that when all is done, trust is the cement of society and of personal relationships. Of course, we are all too savvy on this point, so why insis on it? My own conclusion is that if trust can be reinstated on solid foundations, most of the ills surveyed during that season can be solved.While the portray of society may seem dismal,trust can mend the fences. I found my conclusion on the scenes involving Lyric and Twitch.I know many of you out there think that Lyric took the ride with the old creep, but I beg to differ.the immediate scene of Twitch on the roof getting rid of the cocaine indicates clearly that both have rejected their old lives and trust their relationship along the restructuring of all that was lost.If they showed Lyric refusing the ride and then just after this Twitch refusing the drug, that would have been bad redundant writing.
All the more, Linden shooting Skinner not only opened cans of worms to prove her defence and makes the possibility of her losing her badge and prison time almost a certainty.All because push comes to shove and after all they have gone through Linden was not able to trust Holder.
More+
Flag
Was Pastor Mike a pedophile at the end? I didn't get that idea after his conversation with Linden in the car.
Flag
No pastor Mike never touched a child. His trouble came from trying to do an off the books drug intervention and the kid lied on him. He moved to Seattle and there he was still trying to help the kids like the girl with the missing finger and it was misconscured as him being inappropriate.
Flag
I stand corrected.
Flag
I have watched "The Fall" and I have watched "Broadchurch", and to me they go like:

1. superbest: "The Fall"
2. really really good "The Killing"
3. Fine to watch if you like the other two: "Broadchurch".

When I saw "The Fall" I finally understood why Noel is so tough on The Killing treatment of women. I didn't get it at all. But hey, it is not that The Killing does a bad job. It is more than "The fall" is awesome defining the very many types of today's women and their roles in society. And makes a big statement on the defense of their freedom and value. The killing, however, did a great job with the death penalty.
Flag
I love The Killing and this 3rd Season was definitely the best but the very last episode (Hamelin) left me underwhelmed firstly with Linden taking Skinner for a car ride which felt like she was walking into a trap (ultimately a psychological one if not physical) with Skinner baiting her with Adrian. I get that for Linden with her reputation to take Skinner into a police station would have been tricky but that whole car ride just felt off to me.

But my biggest disappointment (which I share with Holder I guess) is Linden shooting Skinner the second time. Did she do it because she thought they could not get enough evidence to convict him? Otherwise it felt as if she actually did him a favour with a swift death. Such a psycho would have deserved a public trial so he could be confronted with his crimes. Also with him dead surely it is much harder to find all the bodies he may have hidden in other places. Linden's going to be even more messed up in Season 4 if the show gets renewed....
Flag
I think Linden was feeling very hurt and betrayed by Skinner, but also angry with herself - this along with the disgust she would be feeling for his actions.
Looking back on the episode, it seemed that Skinner knew the end was near, when he had the goodbye conversation with his daughter in the car - so he was probably planning death by cop as soon as he thought Linden and Holder were getting too close.

It was selfish, but a lot times, through the 3 series, Linden has been self involved, letting the case consume her (to her sons detriment) so her actions were in keeping with her character - blind to the consequences of her actions and overcome by her emotions.
Assuming she and Skinner were as close as was intimated, he would probably know her triggers, and be able to manipulate her into killing him.

It would have been a braver decision to keep him alive - Seward would have been posthumously exonerated, his son would have a certain degree of closure, the prison guards would have to deal with the impact of killing an innocent man, Callie's body (and others) would be found, the victims parents would get closure, the wrongfully arrested guy (i forget his name) would be released - and then re arrested for child porn, Holder and Linden would probably get some more scenes with Reddick to tie that up - and I am probably missing a few plots.

All these would probably take at least another episode, and as it hasn't been renewed yet, getting some closure in what might be its final episode is not a bad thing. And if it does get renewed, I can see Holder covering for Linden or Holder getting a new partner - possibly Reddick
More +
Flag
Thinking about it, the timing of Linden and Skinner rekindling their affair after several years and then Skinner turning up at her place for a booty call (they did have sex, he referred to that in the car ride, and he stayed over) seems a bit suspect. To happen just the day or two before she realises Skinner is the culprit feels forced to me. I think even without hooking up again she would still have been pissed at him though perhaps not as much.

Anyway, I do hope there will be a 4th season but not sure how they can have Linden realistically still in the police force - even if Holder covers up for her, which he would unless he thinks she needs a reckoning to sort out her mess, she should take time off to consider a career change... She is way too unhinged, certainly at this point, to be a detective...
Flag
I hope we hear good news about a season four. Because the finale had me feeling things. Btw is it weird that all the smiling in this episode freaked me out? *team frown*
Flag
Loved it. Sooo much better than the first two seasons. Am I the only one who thought he had Lindens son in the trunk?
Flag
The one question I had throughout the season was the fate of Ashley Kwon (the first victim they found at the beginning of episode one). Why was she inside the abandoned factory? Why wasn't she dumped in the lake? I have a vague recollection that Linden and Holden wondered about this in the beginning too, but I might be wrong.
Flag
That was a pretty decent finale. I'm a little indifferent about the very end, ending the season where it did. The whole car ride with Linden and Skinner could have been better... it didn't feel all that thrilling or emotional or powerful or whatever it is that really good television shows try to portray in those moments. It just didn't grab me in that way.
Flag
Could someone please tell me what the last scene of the finale was? I downloaded a version of it that was obviously too short, but then the longer version ended very abruptly - with Linden shooting Skinner and Holder walking around saying 'no, no, no'. I was team Holder on that one - wish she hadn't shot him. Also, are we to believe Skinner killed Kallie, because he just stayed quiet while Linden described her to him.
Flag
Yeah, that's how it ended; abruptly. Linden shot him, Holder went "no, no, no", and then the season was over. And yes, Skinner did kill Kallie. By not answering to Linden when she asked him about Kallie he showed indifference to his act.
Flag
Thanks for answering. I had come to terms with the idea that this is probably The Killing's final season, but now I kinda wanna see where this goes.
Flag
also, if there were other places no one would find, why not put those other bodies there instead of in an open area/shallow pond that's pretty easily seen/found?

i guess we have to assume kallie is in one of those places.
Flag
bring on S4. Engage
Flag
"Fall" is probably way better and consistent than Killing. More plausible. And serial killer there is boring and lacking any charm and power. And that's refreshing thing to see among ocean of typical shows about omnipresent serial killers who have legion of fans and charming and complicated in their killings. As for Killing it was good most of the season in my mind. But I didnt like or care that much for many sobbing scenes (sudden Holder's hysteria was weird). I never got Kelly's mom change of heart. She was so mean and neglectful about her daughter so I saw her as that kind of mother. And when she woke up and started to worry big time it was hard for me to buy it. Still struggling to buy it to the final scene with her. Last car ride scene with Skinner was a bit of cliche. I don't get Linden's urge to point a gun to Skinner right away - if you're cop, why not do it slowly, try to figure it out professionally, without emotional mess. But Linden was never a competent cop. So as Holder. Coteas was great and creepy in the end. I was hoping they could find Kelly. Sad end for her.
More+
Flag
The Fall was slightly different - you get to see both the killer and the investigation from the start.
Broadchurch is the closest comparison (not about a serial killer, but the death of one child), its a better version of the first 2 seasons of The Killing in 8 episodes.
Flag
So he killed at least 21 girls and says there are more all over the place. And nobody ever noticed anything? Should called Hotch!
Flag
'if you didn't let out a small sob as Seward saw Adrian from the window or when Danette closed her eyes and counted to five on the bridge, you need to get help.' I did not have any emotions while watching these two scenes! I need help!
Flag
i didnt on the first one, but i did in the second one...so i only need half the help you do. :-)
Flag
season 3 redeemed the show for me, i'm ready for season 4!

also, i agree with most everything you said..great review.

I guess we just have to assume Kallie is dumped in one of the "other places that no one will find" as Skinner said (well he said something similar anyway)
Flag
That comment from Skinner indicating he had other dumping grounds and that nobody would find those victims made me so mad at Linden for shooting Skinner as that makes finding the bodies a lot harder if not impossible. How could Linden shoot him and not think about all those families wondering about their missing child?
Flag
also, if there were other places no one would find, why not put those other bodies there instead of in an open area/ shallow pond that's easily seen?
Flag
why not dump the body he torched in these "other places" as well - it actually led to his exposure
Flag
The water had been unexpectedly drained from the original site. Skinner obviously swam with the the previous seasons council etc. high flyers.
Flag
I think Kallie is the burned body. Didn't Angie catch a bus out of town? And Skinner wouldn't say anything about Kallie.
Flag
I think it was fairly clear that it was Angie's body. Kallie, on the other hand, became one of many girls that just disappeared into some random dump sites. That was the tragedy in her story. Her mom was left wondering what happened to her.

How Skinner found Angie I don't know, since she left town on a bus, but I guess he managed to do it because he was a cop. Maybe he tortured Bullet to get the information. Angie was killed because she was a witness, and Skinner tried to cover up her death by burning her and removing the teeth. If the police had known that it was Angie's body, they would have figured out that someone with close ties to the investigation was behind her death. Linden figured out it was Angie, but that was a stroke of luck, because she wasn't supposed to be on that case.
Flag
Yep, definitely Angie (per the time passed since her finger had been cut off the coroner said I think). Why leave us with the hope that maybe one girl got away. Nope, in true The Killing fashion, everyone gets screwed.
Flag
i dont know, maybe....i guess we never did get a full identity on the body, but i though someone said it was that angie chick at some point. i dont remember
Flag
They assumed it was her and were waiting on partial prints from the car - not exactly CSI speeds on this show!
Flag
So, here was my problem, I spent a good chunk of the second hour just saying to Linden...shoot him already!! Heck after about an hour on the road, notice that Skinner hasn't been missing all that long to have driven Adrian up there and come back - or did you never go to the lake house when you were last sleeping with the guy?

And who else thought, as freaked out as Holder was at the end, these characters, my next guess was Linden would turn her gun and hand it to Holder as if to surrender and he would likely be the one to try and cover it up because she as his partner is so a part of his support network.
Flag
Yea..begs you to ask a number of 'reality' questions, such as how does someone as street savvy as Bullet not just leave a message for Holder saying that the killer is "his boss". Or why not text message like everyone else in the country. And why wouldn't she put up a major fuss in the diner when Skinner was abducting her when she knew he was the killer?

And how did Skinner find so much time to do all this killing? His wife was so suspicious of Linden, but didn't she notice anything up with the time it would take to kill and coverup all this killing? Also, not a nick or scratch on the guy...hmmm
Flag
I know, but, oddly, an interview with the actress answered one of my issues, she thought Linden needed that car ride with Skinner because regardless of what happened she knew this was the last time she would be alone with the man she had loved and needed that time to come to terms with what she had learned. I don't know, it made me feel better.

I actually doubt Bullet said which cop, she left the message with Reddick and now that we know he is a actually a good guy he would have done something about that one. I think it was the matter of she kept calling and calling. I don't know why she wouldn't have texted him or left a substantive message on his cell.

I imagine he didn't pick her up at the diner, but that was the last place anyone remembers seeing her.
Flag
Staff
Didn't mention this in the review, and it could just have been because I was recovering from a cold (I was laid up all weekend, on the couch, clearing out my DVR while popping Alka-Seltzer effervescent cold tablets (they work wonders)) and already sort of tired: Did Skinner confirm his killing of Trisha, or was that left a little unclear? Discuss.
Flag
He confirmed killing Trisha, but he kept silence when asked about Kallie. He said he didn't want to kill Trisha and he went there to speak to Adrian.
Flag
Yes, and Linden totally debunked his statement when she pointed out that Skinner showed up at the Seward residence at 1 in the morning.
Flag
Amazing show but the endings are always crap. So anticlimactic. This show is similar to Damages in that respect. Great acting, always get this feeling the seasons leading up to something big, then nope, doesnt pan out. I let it slide though since they are excellent shows other than the boring reveals.
Flag
I loved the third season. Even though I thought it was strange that Skinner never did a thing to disarm Linden, it was nicely explained by the fact that Skinner's plan was to get Linden kill him.

Overall I'd give this episode 8,5 - 9 / 10. I loved Holder and Linden's dialogue in the first half. Lyric actually tearing up when Danette talked about Bullet was a small scene but for me... It actually made Lyric seem more likeable. I loved Holder's bomb threat and Reddick's reaction to it. While the finale didn't have as emotional scenes as the few episodes (Holder crying in his apartment after Bullet died, Ray seeing his son from the window as he walked towards to gallows). The acting continued to be superb.

However I have a few "complaints". The episode did conclude the Pied Piper story and all and while some people enjoy ambiguity I was still left wanting more. I was kind of hoping for a scene with Holder and Bullet's parents (I think that they were the ones at her casket in her funeral).

The last scene was extremely exciting. Or then the feeling in my gut was caused by the coffee I drank. I can't say what would have made it better but I was kind of hoping that after Holder showed up, Skinner would have used Holder's friendship with Bullet as a tool... Taunt Holder with Bullet's last moments.

I want a fourth season!
More+
Flag
I was very happy with this season and I hope they make a fourth. I have a few issues here and there but overall i love this show and adore the acting. My main issue is a constant through all three seasons. I live in Seattle and I am constantly bothered by how little the setting looks and feels like my city. I know other people in other cities can say the same of other shows but Seattle seems to be a character in this show, just like how the Pacific Northwest was a main character in Twin Peaks, and the setting is so painfully Canadian that it feels like such wrong headed casting. Like having Othello being played by a mime. In fact in the first season they are looking at a map of Seattle and they are talking about someone having to drive north over a bridge that would take him just outside the city limits. That bridge is about an hour north of Seattle (the bridge in the Ring actually) and its little things like that make it hard to always take it seriously. They also used sunset scenes for sunrise constantly in the first season. Its like saying "well, at least they pay no attention to details". I think they should have based the city on Seattle but never mentioned where it was. Se7en did the best job of that. That city is a mix of New York, New Orleans, Detroit and Los Angeles and it works great. This city needs to either be Seattle for real or they at least need to make the writers live here for six months.
More+
Flag
the viewers that dont live there (which would be the majority of us) couldn't care less about that stuff because we wouldnt know any better. but it sucks it stuck out for u.
Flag
Minimal research into the most basic of details? Come on, you're asking a lot of those Hollywood writers.
Flag
I think this is television at it's greatest. I love this series. I love the slow burn and deep story telling. I always feel exhausted after each season. This one was no different. I hope this will make it to season 4, I just have to have more Holder and Lynden. This has made it to my top most see shows. Great acting and fantastic story telling.
Flag
the sadness of it all, is they cancelled it...which really, really..sucked...
Flag
Wonderfully gloomy ... warped characters ... warped story ... season 4 please ... still sad about Bullet.
Flag
It was great best season so far really hope we get a season 4.
Flag
It really was. Compared to the first season, its almost a totally new show
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members