TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The Killing Forums

Netflix (ended 2014)

Episode Discussion: Ghosts of the Past 2x05 (spoilers)

TesserT

[1]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 79
    Please use this thread to discuss Sunday's episode Ghosts of the Past (Apr 22). Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jemadari

[2]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 12

While finally getting some traction they seem to be trying too hard to be artistic

I skip the Richmond scenes as they stopped contributing to the overall story and as a secondary story there's just nothing there

Why didn't they come right out and ask the boyfriend why Rosy hated her parents, her lineage hardly seems a reason to hate someone unless she was stolen or something

Never liked Linden's son and him bugging people because he's not feeling well hasn't really helped

I liked the scenes with Midge if for no other reason than I got to see ensign Ro

The scene with Stan and his sister in law had to happen and was handled well in my opinion

angeland8

[3]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 10
    Better than the previous episode. Finally the Larsson family is watchable.

Still don't care about Richmond, please, put him away already.

ummhaniyyah

[4]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 8

I agree with you on Richmond. I fast forward through those scenes. I have the sense that there will be some payoff in terms of Richmond's involvement in some way with the overall Rosie plot, but perhaps I'm heartless, but I don't care much about how he's doing in hospital otherwise.

The scene with Stan and Terry was well done -- so repulsive and creepy, since you know that it wasn't about sex but more about need and numbness and spurred on by the suggestions her parents dropped when they visited.

Boy, Terry's self-esteem is low. She looked like a street walker when she was waiting to get picked up by the Town Car.

Re Linden. I don't find her son annoying.

His role in the storyline is to show us how obsessed she is with the case and how far she is falling.

She's really intelligent, so she knows that she isn't a good mother (witness the interview scene with Alexi's mother), but she's just too caught up in the case to stop. It's addictive behavior only her drug of choice is her work ('cuz I'm not sure that I'd buy this being the first case she was sucked into so deeply).

If anything, if I were to look at Linden as a real person I would wonder why she has a child at all. She's just not right for that role. But I also understand that in a selfish way she needs Jack and needs to feel as if she is trying to be a decent parent because of her foster care experiences (even if we and she realize that she isn't a good mother).

If she were less selfish/riddled with demons, she would let her ex have charge of Jack. Jack would benefit from having some father time and a parent who could focus on him. Given her lifestyle, she would lose little even if Jack's father had primary custody (except her self-deception about family and parenting). She has only four years until he's an adult and while she may delude herself that they'll spend it in mother-son quality bonding time, we know that there is no way that will happen.

But she clearly doesn't want to be that mother (her mother, Alexei's mother...) who would give their child up -- no matter the circumstance.

ummhaniyyah

[5]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 8

I love Michelle Forbes but think she was mis-cast. She does her best work playing strong women. You can argue that Midge is strong -- but these last few episodes have required a fragile, vulnerable Midge and I just don't think the actress has been able to sell that.

Or then again, it could just be expectations. The characters Michelle Forbes usually plays would go into the infidelity scene and the ones with the runaway with a certain kind of cold awareness. We're supposed to see Midge mired in grief and trying to feel again through strangers.

So, definitely mis-cast.

And as with Richmond's scenes the Midge storyline is pretty much filler at this point. I sit through the Midge scenes because I like Michelle Forbes and because I'm a little curious as to what will happen, even though I know, that not much will.

Jemadari

[6]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 12

Ok, well viewing him as a stand alone character I found him severely lacking but if one looks at him as a device to highlight Linden's determination at the cost of everything else, first her engagement now her son's well being, he makes alot more sense to me