The Killing

Pilot

Aired Friday Apr 03, 2011 on Netflix

I was intrigued by AMC's new show The Killing. It is on the network that features three good shows (two very great ones) and seemed to be an interesting enough premise.

But the show was just really bad. It had a very Canadian feel in the directing and acting and the scenes just felt meaningless, even the ones that were not meaningless. Poorly done, poorly written, just a mess of a pilot.

Mireille Enos just cannot be the lead on a TV show. It is that simple. Too unappealing, too bad at acting, just an offputting presence throughout. And the other major star, Joel Kinnaman, felt like some random guy they pulled out of the local mini-mart. No way he is the best actor who auditioned for that role.

AMC, you let me down with Rubicon and it looks like you let me down with this show too.
  • Awesome pilot to the AMC series. It had a very 'Twin Peaks' like setting to it!

I thought the whole pilot episode was very interesting, and it had a few twists and turns that I did not anticipate, for instance, when Linden finds the bon voyage surprise for her, or when we see that the thing that was buried in the ground was just a doll, or who the car really belonged to. Although I was a little confused at times, particularly when it came to the Richard candidate storyline, because I really didn't know what was going on or what these were talking about in regards to the elections, I was interested in the rest of the episode. The high point of the episode was the ending. The ending to the episode was so heartbreaking for me, and I was in near tears when Stan and Mitch found out what happened to Rosie. I thought everyone acted wonderfully in this episode, and will look forward to watching the next part in the series.
  • First thing to do is fire Sara. Second thing is to fire the goofy looking guy that is supposed to take her place. Maybe just cancel the series.

I found the story line interesting, but then I watched the pilot and was TOTALLY turned off. I didn't like a lot about this first episode that made me question whether it was worth giving it a second chance.
    The main character, Sara, is seriously creepy and strange. I didn't like the way she looks at everyone and anyone; it kind of looks like she's looking below them. Then we have the goofy looking guy that is supposed to be taking her place. He's even creepier, if that's possible. The way he stared at the girls made me extremely uncomfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts taking pay offs.

For me, this series is starting out bad.
  • Considering the first two hours of AMC's The Killing, my overall impression is the series has infinite potential.

I enjoyed the second hour better than the first - but this isn't that unusual. By the second hour I had developed opinions about certain characters. Right now, I am not particularly fond of Detective Linden - she seems a little "new age" and given to long looks off into the sunset. In contrast, her male detective "replacement", seemed ready to roll up his sleeves and get to work.

Toward the end of Ep 1, when the Larsens had to confront their grief, I felt an empathetic bond. The father gave a heart-wrenching performance - when he approaches the car containing his murdered daughter in the trunk.

The campaign scenes were not as interesting to me - I'm hoping there aren't as many of them - unless it is really integral to the story.
  • Who killed Rosie Larsen?

I have a feeling that this is a show that will be considered one of the better television seasons when it's all said and done, but I have to agree with what Dan Harmon said on his Twitter account: the show moves ridiculously slow, and while some shows that move slow fail to create any interest, this show succeeds in its slow pace. The acting is top notch, the writing is methodical and it doesn't feel like the writers are writing slow simply to drag out the story; there's just plenty of beautiful small moments laying around to warrant it.

Because of the slow pace, I won't be rating the episodes as high as the quality of each individual episode might appear.. I mean, the first episode is certainly great, but I felt like despite the greatness of certain parts of the episode, it felt like my attention was waning a bit at times. However, when that score kicks in near the end, when they're pulling the car with Rosie's body out of the water, and Stan, her father, sees the car and understands what's happening, you can't help but get chills.

Mirielle Enos is a great lead actress here, and although I don't necessarily find her all that charismatic, there's definitely a lot of story to explore here. She's an intriguing woman who should be fun to watch as Sarah Linden, and her "partner" of sorts, Detective Holder (I think that's how it's spelt) is funny in that strange quirky way. It makes the two work together well.

In fact, I enjoyed every character here (Michelle Forbes is giving some of her best work, if not her best work I've seen) and the only character I want to learn more about is the Councilman, Darren Richmond I believe, who's running for Mayor. He seemed like a bland lifeless character at first, but the more I watched, the more intrigued I got (especially the reveal at the end).

Just like "Mad Men," this is a show that requires much patience.. I'm sure if we let it move at it's own pace, it'll pay off in the end.
  • Killing it

I don't see The Killing replacing Breaking Bad or Mad Men anytime soon, but this was easily the best pilot I've seen this season. What I apperciated most about this episode was the pacing: the raw, subdued and natural way in which events unfolded made the prospect of the grizzly murder as horrific and mundane as these things are when they happen in the real world. Its not slow its more hypnotic, perhaps. I liked how the opening intercut between Linden taking a routine jog through the forest with Rosie running for her life in one. Only to end with Linden discovering a rotting animal corpse and not the girl's. The episode takes its time showing us how these characters work without assualting us with exposition. I'm interested in seeing how the Linden/Holder dynamic plays along side the politicians and the victim's greiving family. I'm not certain the real killer was even in this episode,(Season 1 of Dexter got away with that) but its clear that everyone involved has secrets and as one detective's marijuana assisted investigation has shown, the deeper they delve into this case the uglier it will get. -------------------- Also I have to note that as a massive Battlestar Galatica fan, I was spotting people from that show left and right. Not only is Rosie's jerk ex-boyfriend played by video game nerd guy from Caprica, he's living in the frakking Graystone mansion.
  • The beginning of the hunt for a killer.

The onslaught of high quality American TV shows over the last ten years has been impressive. This time on the silver plate we are given another magnificent pilot to a show which is a remake of a Danish show called Forbrydelsen ("The Crime"). It is great to see how an investment in high production values is able to give us something which feels so intense. The characters and the actors playing them are real people, not polished, Botox injected beautiful people. Mireille Enos, the star of the show, is especially convincing as a talented cop who seems to have an almost uncanny talent for connecting the dots. The emphasis of the show is clearly on the emotional connections, how people relate to each other, how they react and what they might be hiding.

This episode also showcased beautiful cinematography, similarly to another show on AMC: The Walking Dead. The imagery crated a gritty feel, which supported the haunting atmosphere surrounding the mystery. Many TV series bring out the colour in the film to make the images look more impressive. In The Killing they have clearly gone in the other direction. Colours are presented in a very real way, maybe even overly bleak, to create a more realistic feel.

All and all this was a very strong pilot. The ending was one of the most emotional ones I have seen in a TV series. I truly hope a show likes this hits home in America, so that we get to see more seasons of it.
  • Pilot episode.

7.8
    A good start to AMC's "The Killing." It wasn't the best pilot by any standard. It was all rather slow paced but I'm quite used too that format so I didn't have a problem with that. The pilot itself as an individual episode doesn't really grab you in though, it's not until episode 2, when the actions starts.

I don't think Mireille Enos is the best leading lady but I have seen her work on Big Love, and I respect her as an actress for that, just being the sole focus of this entire series? I really don't think so. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

The supporting cast is pretty strong and I loved how every one was tied in somehow. Like the politician, Jasper and of course the Larsons. I really can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out. Knowing AMC, we should get a big payoff.