The King of Queens Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Character Development

koqexpert

[1]Oct 20, 2005
    • level: 6
    This has been mentioned before by different people, but does anyone else think Doug and Carrie have become different characters than they once were?

Let me explain. (Ok, so I have some time on my hands) If you watch the first few seasons of KOQ (1 through 4 or 5) you will see that Doug is mainly a lovable, sweet guy. He has good intentions, but the things he does sometimes get him in trouble. Sure, he has a immature SIDE, but he is basically a good guy.

In those same seasons of KOQ, you will see that Carrie is mainly a devoted wife who wants the best possible life for herself and Doug. She does have a sassy, in-your-face SIDE, but she knows when to rein it in.

Fast forward to seasons 6-8. Doug no longer has an immature side, he IS just plain immature. Carrie no longer has an in-your-face side, she IS just that way all the time.

Is anyone else bothered by this? I want the old Doug and Carrie back. I mean, I know people change over time, but I don't like this change. It seems like more often now, we get episodes with Doug being immature, not giving a care about anyone else, and Carrie just being plain mean to people and ticking them off. Those things work in the right context (i.e. Carrie telling the mold guys off) but when they turn up in all the episodes, it gets a little old. I'd like to think there is still some good left in the Heffernans. Is anyone else with me?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jekyll

[2]Oct 21, 2005
    • level: 86
    That happens to a lot of sitcoms over time. In order to get the same impact from the characters and their quirks, the characters have to act more and more extreme, because otherwise it's just "been there, done that."
    Most noticeably is Will and Grace. Remember when Jack only shrieked once every other episode? Now it's every other line of dialogue. Same with Karen talking about booze/drugs.

Karl242424

[3]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 3
    i still like doug and carrie

koqexpert

[4]Nov 1, 2005
    Karl242424 wrote:
    i still like doug and carrie

Oh, I still like them too. I hope it didn't come across that I don't. I just prefer the way things were in the first couple seasons.

alando7

[5]Nov 10, 2005
    • level: 7
    Hmmm...I have seen all of the episodes of King of Queens, but I haven't noticed that significant of change in their characters. I think it is more subtle than that. But, as I mentioned on another post, I think Carrie used to look pretty hot back in the early seasons, but now that she has chunked-up she doesn't look so good. And I think this takes away from the show. Before in the earlier seasons, you had a fat Doug that had "landed" this hot wife. But now, you have two chunky people together! Haha...I think it takes away from what made the show work so well in seasons 4 and 5 especially.

tivoking

[6]Nov 10, 2005
    • level: 1
    In the latest episode Inn Escapable, they brought back the old couple we knew, that is why it was such a great episode. Doug was lovable, and did not act entirely stupid, and Carrie was a little mean, but not a complete beeyatch throughout the entire episode.

koqexpert

[7]Nov 10, 2005
    tivoking wrote:
    In the latest episode Inn Escapable, they brought back the old couple we knew, that is why it was such a great episode. Doug was lovable, and did not act entirely stupid, and Carrie was a little mean, but not a complete beeyatch throughout the entire episode.

Yeah, you're right! They were more like their old selves in this episode! That's probably why I liked it a lot.

2linkinpark1

[8]Nov 10, 2005
    • level: 1
    the producers of koq do that so the show is more entertaining and more people will watch it. I personally think that show is more interesting in seasons 6-8 becuase of this.

SunsprayHoney

[9]Dec 8, 2005
    • level: 12
    Carrie is the only one I noticed a major change in. She seemed so much more nice in the beginning.

roboref

[10]Dec 8, 2005
    • level: 2
    I agree with KOQEXPERT. The characters were much more appealing in the beginning. You would know that you'd kind of want to be their friends. But even though they still make me laugh, I don't think I'd like to know these two characters anymore. That doesn't mean I don't want to watch though! I just need more Arthur!

Bygnel

[11]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 8
    It reminds me of Married With Children, in the beginning Al Bundy was just a bitter shoe salesman who had small bouts of silliness and buffoonary, but by the middle and end he was in full idiot mode.. Every episode featured him doing something so crazy and idiotic it was funny..

mrbreezeet1

[12]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 2

I Noted that Carrie did not seem as BI(*&y in the 1st. 3 or so seasons.

Thanks, Tony

txgirl75

[13]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 23
    Carrie kinda got a little mean and cranky in the later season. Doug kinda was more like a big kid then a husband most of the time.

stellarchick86

[14]Apr 2, 2011
    • level: 32
    Yep, Ive definitely noticed this. In the earlier seasons, it was more about Carrie feeling insecure about something and Doug trying his best to help or support her (her feeling fat, her not being a good bowler, her turning 30, etc) and then as the seasons went on, it became more about the stupid stuff Doug has done and how Carrie now has to deal with it (I think I can come up with 1000 examples of this lol).