The King of Queens Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Last Of the 90's Sitcoms

DrTruth

[1]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 8
    Which is sad because the 90's was the best era for sitcoms, 'cept maybe Cheers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CSM135

[2]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 22
    Yeah it is sad. Farewell 90's sitcoms.
    Edited on 12/23/2006 10:56pm

patrickstarfan

[3]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 5

To bad they're scarce now, Long live the 90's (my decade).

urkelfan89

[4]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 5
    Same here I grew up in the 90s, and I miss it tremendously.

sitcomfreak

[5]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 18

Very sad.  I never got into this show at all, but I know it's also the last of the three sitcoms (that made it) to debut in 1998.  The other two were, That '70s Show (FOX) and Will & Grace (NBC), whose finales both aired on May 18, 2006.  So it's another milestone, if you will.  It's actually sad in other ways too because the only comedies that are really worth watching, but not even smash hits, are Two and a Half Men, and Old Christine, both on CBS.  There hasn't been a smash hit comedy since Will & Grace, and I don't know if you can call it a smash hit, but it certainly was a hit.

I hope network execs at CBS try to open their eyes and come up with a comedy that it's a true hit, and actually has more 3-D characters.  Two and a Half Men is very good but there is no emotion at all, it's a lot of 1-liners, and sex jokes, even from the kid.

I hope another Golden Girls, Friends or W&G come on real soon so we can truly invest in some characters lives.

Am I right?

thegnuewe

[6]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    sitcomfreak wrote:

Very sad. I never got into this show at all, but I know it's also the last of the three sitcoms (that made it) to debut in 1998. The other two were, That '70s Show (FOX) and Will & Grace (NBC), whose finales both aired on May 18, 2006. So it's another milestone, if you will. It's actually sad in other ways too because the only comedies that are really worth watching, but not even smash hits, are Two and a Half Men, and Old Christine, both on CBS. There hasn't been a smash hit comedy since Will & Grace, and I don't know if you can call it a smash hit, but it certainly was a hit.

I hope network execs at CBS try to open their eyes and come up with a comedy that it's a true hit, and actually has more 3-D characters. Two and a Half Men is very good but there is no emotion at all, it's a lot of 1-liners, and sex jokes, even from the kid.

I hope another Golden Girls, Friends or W&G come on real soon so we can truly invest in some characters lives.

Am I right?

So very right. Unfortunately, Reality TV killed most everything on TV and now after almost a decade of crap the networks are scrambling to bring something new to the tube. (Thanks to MTV's Real World and Mark Burnett/Survivor for the last 8 years!) A lot of the new comedies are one dimensional and crappy with very few exceptions (Earl, Chris, KoQ) With the absence of ELR, the future looks really bleak for the sitcom. The critics of TV in the 70's claimed it was a vast wasteland. They were premature by about 2 decades. We had 3 networks back then and a lot of variety, now we have a 100 plus and NOTHING is on TV.

claudia40

[7]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 9
    DITTO.....

So very right. Unfortunately, Reality TV killed most everything on TV and now after almost a decade of crap the networks are scrambling to bring something new to the tube. (Thanks to MTV's Real World and Mark Burnett/Survivor for the last 8 years!) A lot of the new comedies are one dimensional and crappy with very few exceptions (Earl, Chris, KoQ) With the absence of ELR, the future looks really bleak for the sitcom. The critics of TV in the 70's claimed it was a vast wasteland. They were premature by about 2 decades. We had 3 networks back then and a lot of variety, now we have a 100 plus and NOTHING is on TV. [/QUOTE]

VM1138

[9]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 6
    Yeah, it's sort of depressing. There's some okay stuff on TV, but nothing outstanding. I couldn't tell you what makes a sitcom fantastic, what put shows like ELR, KoQ, Frasier, even That 70s Show, work, but whatever it is, it's not in any of these new shows. Even shows that are great (My Name Is Earl) just don't seem to have whatever it was those classics had. I guess the question is: Were ELR, Cheers, Frasier, etc., considered amazing and "classic" in their first two seasons, or did they seem like average fare? Of course, maybe the networks would have better odds at creating a hit if they ventured outside of the "Survivor/Cop Show/OC/Viewers-Pick-Next-You-Name-It/Four Friends Hanging Out" formulas a little more. Look at the few times they've really tried somethign new (or re-invented), they get massive hits like Lost and My Name Is Earl. They should really get the message.

danigro89

[10]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 37
    And its too bad this show is ending because after 9 seasons the show still draws high ratings on wednesday nights which is still good. When this is gone CBS will definitely have Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother and The New Adventures of Old Christine back for next season. The Class will probably get cancelled and Rules of Engagement hasn't premiered yet so I can't say anything about that show. But if that does good it can be back next season.

ez1jb

[11]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 14
    You guys are all right. Obviously money is the only consideration for most execs these days. Whose going to hire an A or b-list celebs, have to pay them hundreds of thou.'s or millions/ yr, plus writing and production staff-when you can simply get a few idiots after a little cash to do all the scriptwriting you need? They're smart for now-but they'll learn that in the long run, we aint bitin'. KoQ is an awesome show. VM1138 said they don't know what makes a good show-well, they should take a look at KoQ. It's effortless humor that isn't too high brow. That's all people want, not a convoluded backstory-but hilarious characters that we can relate to.

CSM135

[12]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 22
    Yeah that is what we want. On the first season of DVD of KoQ there is a special feature about the show and how it started. KoQ was presented to NBC first and they wanted Doug to be more intelligent. They wanted him to play a game of computer chess.

sitcomfreak

[13]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 18
    I disagree with what someone said, if I'm interpretting right. However, I DON'T want to see high-profile celebs in a sitcom, I want to see unknowns who i don't have to compare their prior work to the sitcom. I want to not be too farmilar with the actor/actress and just get to know them.

As for what someone said before, Cheers was far from it hit in its frist season, it was on the verge of being cancelled (See Wikipedia), but back then networks gave shows that were different a chance. Not now-a-days. Now it has to be as before said a bunch of friends hanging out drinking coffee. Oh, wait, have to make it a little different, having a sandwich in a local diner, and tlaking about life. Hello! We loved Seinfeld, we loved Friends, but stop shoving this worthless crap up our butts we don't want it again, at least not rightr now.

txgirl75

[14]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 23
    We still have one show that has been on since 1996 7th heaven. We have two shows from the 90. KOQ is ending and not sure on 7th heaven.

jpcanes

[15]Jan 13, 2007
    • level: 3

txgirl75 wrote:
    We still have one show that has been on since 1996 7th heaven. We have two shows from the 90. KOQ is ending and not sure on 7th heaven.

7th Heaven is not a sitcom.

friendserking

[16]Jan 13, 2007
    • level: 13

I would completely agree. Friends, King of Queens, Roseanne, Home Improvement, Frazier, Drew Carey Show, and many more all gone now. New sitcoms to me are not to funny i cant really stand any of them the only one i like is the War at Home.

danigro89

[17]Jan 15, 2007
    Yep, 7th Heaven is not a sitcom it's a Family Drama. Which means The King of Queens is the last live action sitcom of the 90s and if renewed the oldest sitcom for the 2007-2008 season will be Girlfriends.

laugher5000

[18]Jan 16, 2007
    • level: 3
    How about we make our own 90's sitcom.
    I forgot, me can't.

danigro89

[19]Jan 17, 2007
    CBS should have atleast ordered 16 episodes this season to tie this show with ELR which has 210 episodes.

thegnuewe

[20]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 1
    danigro89 wrote:
    CBS should have atleast ordered 16 episodes this season to tie this show with ELR which has 210 episodes.
    Doesn't sound likely unless they do double episodes like they did in December. Usually, the last couple of weeks of May is sweeps. Since they are returning April 9th, that would leave about 7 more episodes for a total of 13 (since they have already aired 6) Looks like it will be 207.