TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The L Word Forums

Showtime (ended 2009)

Episode 6-7: Last Couple Standing (03/01/2009) - Discussion Thread

Talvix

[1]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 52
    Please discuss episode 6-7: Last Couple Standing in this thread. Click on the link to read the episode description from Showtime:

***SPOILER***

Next week: series finale, 6-8: Last Word (March 8, 2009)

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ecinajx19

[2]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 4

I watched the show with a friend of mine, for whom Alice has always been her favorite character. She is very disappointed that it appears the way Alice is "going out" at the end of the entire series is as jealous and bitter, instead of her usual upbeat, reasoned self. This should not be the last note of Alice's character, and misses her essence.

Meanwhile, I'm disappointed that Jenny hasn't been killed off several episodes back, and can't see any way the numerous loose ends can be tied up. Will Bette and Tina adopt Max's child? or will Max continue in his downward spiral and commit suicide and infanticide (abortion), all at once? Will Shane run off with Nikki? and where's Carmen? Will somebody notice that it was perfectly appropriate for Helena to test Dylan? What's going to happen with Jenny's mini-video of Bette supposedly cheating? Does anyone care anymore?

thaicefenix

[3]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 6
    ecinajx19 wrote:

I watched the show with a friend of mine, for whom Alice has always been her favorite character. She is very disappointed that it appears the way Alice is "going out" at the end of the entire series is as jealous and bitter, instead of her usual upbeat, reasoned self. This should not be the last note of Alice's character, and misses her essence.

Meanwhile, I'm disappointed that Jenny hasn't been killed off several episodes back, and can't see any way the numerous loose ends can be tied up. Will Bette and Tina adopt Max's child? or will Max continue in his downward spiral and commit suicide and infanticide (abortion), all at once? Will Shane run off with Nikki? and where's Carmen? Will somebody notice that it was perfectly appropriate for Helena to test Dylan? What's going to happen with Jenny's mini-video of Bette supposedly cheating? Does anyone care anymore?

I strongly disagree with almost everything you said (no offense)... She was nowhere close to bitter. JENNY is jealous and bitter. Alice saw strange behavior and reacted to it. She wasn't getting all insecure and crazy about nothing... she confronted them and they both admitted that they have feelings for the other person. She was understanding and her actions were completely justified if you ask me... Sure she wasn't 100% chipper spunky Alice but hey... there were good hits of her humor and attitude in that episode.

I can't stand jenny right now but the season was structured about her death being revealed in the first episode and the story behind it revealed in the finale... When they didn't reveal it in the first episode... it sort of became obvious that it was going to be a full season storyline. I think it would be horrible if they revealed the killer half way through the season... what would they do for the second half of the season? unwind? And i can see many ways that they can tie up the loose ends you've mentioned... One line of dialogue can solve any of those issues... in 5 minutes of screen time, max's boyfriend can come back, they fight and make up... You've got to accept that Carmen is not coming back... insanity people.... why would she come back now unless it's just for a season finale cameo... even then it's not really important. the things you brought up as numerous loose ends are things they can easily address in the final episode. I'll end by saying i didn't mean for that to come off across like a personal attack didn't mean to attack EVERYTHING you said... We just have two starkly different points of view on all of this...

LOL... cheers
    p.s. We agree on one thing... it was appropriate for Helena to test dylan

MizzGMC23

[4]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 19
    I came to this series late, and then went back and bought the 3 seasons that I'd missed because I wanted to see if Jenny was truly as horrible as she seemed later on. Guess what? - I disliked her from the start. Jenny's insensitivity towards Max's predicament was just so harsh to watch last week, especially when she was so pro-transition at the beginning of Max's voyage.

Unfortunately I'd forgotten about the 1st episode of this season, I'm just about to watch it again, but I fear now that I may have done a spoiler on myself as I went searching for the spin-off when I realised that this season was only going to be 8 episodes long. So if anyone out there doesn't want a potential spoiler - don't go looking for information about the new spin-off as it may (potentially) be a dead give away

I never realised how hooked I'd get on a group of characters that really do nothing much more than live their lives and have relationships (I'm a life-long horror and detective series lover and have largely avoided "soaps", so you may understand why I would say that). I'm soooo going to miss this show but I sincerely hope I get the chance to see the spin-off.

I agree wholeheartedly with thaicefenix - what Alice did showed such strength and true love that I cried for her. I'd love to see Tina and Bette resolve Max's dilemma but thaicefenix's solution is cool too.

After last weeks ep. I wasn't sure how everything could be resolved but this week did a lot. Jodi and Bette seem to have a truce, albeit a slightly awkward one given Jenny's stirrings. Helene and Dylan are back together, despite Jenny's maliciousness. Looks like Kit may be settled with Sunset (despite this episode suggesting to the contrary). Despite Jenny's seemingly grand gesture to Shane with the studio and Nikki I think everyone could see that it kinda rankled Shane (who would ever want to feel "bought"?). Tina and Bette seem to be in a vey good place and have other options now that Marcie is out of the picture (Max's baby & the move to NY), as long as Jenny's manipulations don't cause a breach.

I'd never say this about a real person but I'm soooo glad that Jenny dies, I don't feel that her bad childhood experiences justify her spiteful manipulations and never warranted such good friends who stood by her, only to find themselves shafted in the end (She was truly deceitful and viscious about Alice's script I'm not surprised Alice was bitter when Jenny then stole the idea - but as she'd stolen the idea for Les Girls from watching her friends lives then I'm surprised any of them stayed around as long as they did anyway). All that early stuff about Marina screwing her head up was just hooey too - Jenny was engaged to a guy at the time so she should have resisted Marina no matter what but, at the very least, not then blamed Marina. She has been complicit in her own downfall.

Sorry guys, I'm venting about Jenny as I think this may be my last chance.

(Edited - having just watched the beginning of Ep.1 again) OMG! how could I have forgotten that Xena made an appearance???!!!! rotflmao I hope Lucy Lawless is back for the final episode.
    Edited on 03/04/2009 1:03pm
    Edited 3 total times.

ebony_kunoichi

[5]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 13
    I never liked jenny at all. There were times I felt bad for her, but the last 2 season settles it for me. She is a horrible person. I swear Bette and Tina better stay together! I dont want to see them break up. Kitt and Sunset are a dream couple. I want Shane and Molly to get together for sure.

JalineTV

[6]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 18
    I liked Jenny in the first season. She's still hilarious at certain times because she's crazy. Really, the annoyance factor has been played up by the writers over the past few seasons, which is just weird. Her character has become a joke.

SVU_Obsessed

[7]Mar 5, 2009
    • level: 22
    I got into the show last year and have seen bits and pieces from previous seasons from reruns on LOGO and didn't really notice how viscious Jenny was. It's like it's all coming out this season. Maybe I wasn't paying much attention during the previous bits I had seen in earlier seasons. And I thought that Jenny just took a picture, didn't think she actually did a mini video of it. So help me if she destroys Tina and Bette's relationship, that will just ruin the entire series for me. Why can't this series just end on a positive note. I'd take sappy endings over confused/tragic endings any day.