The L Word Forums

Showtime (ended 2009)

Series Finale! Episode 6-8: Last Word (03/08/2009) - Discussion Thread

Talvix

[1]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 52
    Please discuss the series finale, 6-8: Last Word in this thread. Click on the link to read the episode description from Showtime:

***SPOILER***

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SVU_Obsessed

[2]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 22
    I have to say that that was the most disappointing series finale I have ever seen. Hardly anything was resolved and at the end I found myself looking around going 'oooookay'. I actually felt let down about the episode. And it wasn't just about not getting to find out who killed her, it was about other things; the Molly/Shane thing, whether or not Tina was going to find out about the Kellie/Bette fiasco that never happened, about Tina finding Lez Girls.

I understand some things are better left to the imagination, but not every single thing! But I missed a bit of the ending where Leisha was talking about the 'surprise'. Something about clips being on sho.com or something.

wolvyfactor

[3]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 2
    She said that each week there will be a short segment revealing more details about what is going on. My guess is that Showtime only allowed for x amount of time for the series to finish up and they couldn't fit it all in.

I too sat there and was confused, as if I some how missed the reveal of the killer but we got nothing from it. Worst ending though? Nah, it's close. It reminds me of Twin Peaks and the way that ended.

mfirefly10

[4]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 6

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was left completely confused after that ending. The only thing I can think of is that the creators tried to break the fourth wall with that ending and say 'look. it's all just a fantasty' which might sound kind of cool in theory but did not work in the execution. IF those webisodes actually answer any questions, I doubt one of them will be who killed Jenny. I think that's one loose end they have no intention of tying up.

I was really disappointed in this episode all-around. There wasn't a single moment that felt organic or satisfying. It was like they decided everyone was going to be left miserable and angry and just in a bad place in general. And it seemed like any progress that had been made in earlier episodes was just destroyed.

Dylan and Helena seemed to be back on track in the previous episode and then in this one, they burned it all down and Helena ended up more heartbroken than ever. Tasha and Alice went through this whole journey as a couple only to end up with their relationship hanging in mid-air. Molly (and Carmen) were brought back into Shane's life without any resolution. And Jenny continued to be painted as the perpetual villain with no redeeming qualities. In the end, everyone still hated her and she was still an outsider and she died all alone. How much more depressing can you get?!

And the wors part? No one even got a chance to mourn for Jenny because they chose to do this ridiculous slow-mo-walking-garbage as the end to the series. For a show that claimed to be focused on characters it sure didn't seem to care about ANY of them in that last episode.

I don't know if I'll bother to watch the webisodes or the spin-off but I do know one thing: I'm going to forget this episode exists and pretend the episode before was the series finale. Only way to preserve my sanity.

SVU_Obsessed

[5]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 22
    Yeah I felt depressed after the episode aired. And with the ending when they all start smiling at one another, at first I thought they were smiling because they planned Jenny's death. Don't know why I thought that, but everything was swirling around in my head. Then I thought back to Alice's reaction of findind Jenny and the 'they were all in on it' idea flew out the window.

But as previously mentioned, it just kind of left me depressed. And I hope they do tie up some loose ends. Like Tina and Bette's baby dilemma and whatnot and everything else I mentioned in my earlier post.

AnthonyPeaceMSR

[6]Mar 9, 2009
    I liked it ... Hello Mystery (plus all the clues to pool in the last and 1st episode ... she fell over the taped off area .. was she pushed ... Alice is the one who found her and she does have the spin off so far working title Farm and she goes to prision unless that changes (by the way at one time was going to be a Jenny as the spin off with Shane ..) I think we always want all the answers like typical boring TV shows The 4- 5th seasons was muddy and had not very good storyline the 6 season with the opening 1st episode which by the way gave a lot of clues to all plus had new life to it again like the 3 seasons and ... why not ... have cameos of past members jenny gift to Tina and Bette ... i think when Dana died the series struggled so...(the director admit it in the look back before the final episode ) she would have changed that !! they brought in Tasha (who was bad actress IMO ... who hello Alice changed too ... with the turn around between her strong anti war and military views Then Shane becoming a caretaker to her half brother etc and Bette with Jodi and then Phylis wtf there ... see and Carmen and papi disappear and then add more etc Alice said at the end and figure the chart here ( we get to use the net and websoids ) not like in the original pilot not aired the Earthlings via Kits tattoo use the age of the net and web to make the chart so now we get to have all we asked for and more which is cool so on to Tina interrogation of Jenny's death on showtime.com site ..

oblivious789

[8]Mar 9, 2009
    AnthonyPeaceMSR wrote:
    I liked it ... Hello Mystery (plus all the clues to pool in the last and 1st episode ... she fell over the taped off area .. was she pushed ... Alice is the one who found her and she does have the spin off so far working title Farm and she goes to prision unless that changes (by the way at one time was going to be a Jenny as the spin off with Shane ..) I think we always want all the answers like typical boring TV shows The 4- 5th seasons was muddy and had not very good storyline the 6 season with the opening 1st episode which by the way gave a lot of clues to all plus had new life to it again like the 3 seasons and ... why not ... have cameos of past members jenny gift to Tina and Bette ... i think when Dana died the series struggled so...(the director admit it in the look back before the final episode ) she would have changed that !! they brought in Tasha (who was bad actress IMO ... who hello Alice changed too ... with the turn around between her strong anti war and military views Then Shane becoming a caretaker to her half brother etc and Bette with Jodi and then Phylis wtf there ... see and Carmen and papi disappear and then add more etc Alice said at the end and figure the chart here ( we get to use the net and websoids ) not like in the original pilot not aired the Earthlings via Kits tattoo use the age of the net and web to make the chart so now we get to have all we asked for and more which is cool so on to Tina interrogation of Jenny's death on showtime.com site ..

That was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever read. I read it 3 times hoping that I would be able to piece it together, but I guess I ended up just wasting even more time. I really hope your not a native English speaker because you are a perfect example as to why the education system is failing.

Anyways, I too was disappointed. I half expected them not to reveille Jenny's killer or if it was a suicide, but nothing felt resolved. I guess in a way, Jenny knew no one liked her, but kept her "friends" on a leash by manipulating everyone. When she died, regardless of how, everyone's life became their own again. Bette no longer had to worry about being blackmailed, Tina's job and reputation in LA should be safe, Shane was no longer trapped, Alice didn't have to pick her friends over disliking Jenny, the list goes on and on.

I personally liked Tasha's character, but the end where she comes back is very strange. While the time line isn't clear, I was under the impression that she didn't come back the next day as Alice's terms were. The Dylan/Helena "resolution" was perfect. I have zero complaints about how that played out. The Shane/Molly "resolution" was good as well because no matter how sad it was that Molly had moved on, it too showed just how much of a factor Jenny was in their lives.

In the end, the only couple that Jenny didn't have her nose in was Tasha/Alice, which is why I suspect that Alice was so surprised to find Jenny dead. Personally, I think she killed herself, but I don't think many of the characters cared that she was finally gone.

guyroy1971

[9]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 12

my two cents in my review was that it was an Ok ending, not great, but not terrible either. A scene I would have like to see is whether anyone actuall came to Jenny's funeral. It really is suprising how the writer's made her such a terrible person. (although the taped good byes she did was a slight redeeming quality.) I had no problem with the Helena resolution, as they always had an up and down relationship. The whole Max storyline was completely unresolved, and they floated the idea of Bette and Tina adopting Max's baby, but no answers there either.

No big final resolution with Jenny either, as she conveniently died before everyone could confront her. I agree with a prior poster that everyone was probably more relieved than anything else. As to who killed Jenny, I might be wrong, but I thought it was implied Nicki Stevens did it, as she was hiding in the bushes and had no other reason to be there and partially confessed before Shane told her to shut up before she incriminated herself. I also think the interrogations only showed how conflicted the other characters were about Jenny's death, and did not mean any of them killed her. But if others think diferently, I guess it was open ended enough for other intrepretations. I believe the ending was like the soprano's (but nowhere near as good of course), as in life goes on and it didn't wrap itself up into a neat little bow. Alice may or may not get back together with Tasha, same with Helena, Kit is dating someone new, etc... They addressed the main story for the season and left the rest up to the imagination.

houdvtv1

[10]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 7

omg i am so disappointed about this season finale..there was 1 think i liked in the last episode and that was the sex scene between tina and bette..it was very intimate. that was so sweet...but this was like a lot of episodes the worst episode ever...if you look at all the seasons there are some bad episodes ..badly written..

no i think it is good that its over so i dont have to watch this badly written show...and to bring back some characters in a movie that was made by jenny is awful..than dont do anything at all... you cant end a series like this..even when there will be a spin off..have you ever seen a series end like this that had a spin off? i didnt..

bad bad writers..goodbye L word..2 bad that you have made it this horrible for people who watched this show for 6 years..i think people who were loyal to the show deserve more than this s uc k e d a$$ finale. blah

thaicefenix

[11]Mar 9, 2009
    I'll first off state that on the most part i liked the finale. I got pretty excited at certain parts. It could have been better but i enjoyed it. I never got the feeling of being screwed and not having the identity of the "killer" revealed. Personally i believe that the writers lead me right into thinking it was an accident and she fell on her own... For goodness sake The made Bette & Tina repeat it over and over again "the contractor's coming back to finish the railing... be careful up there... it's dangerous... Please don't accidentally fall off and die". I would have liked for them to show us exactly what happened (Did she throw herself off... did she trip... was she pushed...), LOL... why in Gods name was Nikki hiding in the bush... People are ridiculous in saying that relationships were left hanging with Molly and Carmen... Molly was only in that episode to be the catalyst for Shane... Telling shane about a letter that she never knew existed and having her find the Film negative. Those were good parts of the plot in my opinion... and Carmen hasn't been in the show for like two seasons... As much as everybody likes her why would you think that there wasn't any closure? That story line ended two seasons back.

I don't think the timeline with Tasha coming back to Alice was all that weird... They looked like they were having lunch "alice said do your thing and get back to me at like noon tomorrow or something... the next day... (in the evening Tasha came...) not really in the day but there's nothing weird about that. The Dylan Helena relationship sort of ended because it had to... it was fitting... Helena used deception to get her back (it was warranted) but there was too much deception and ultimately trust was hard to come by. I also would have liked to know wether or not Tina ever finds out about what DIDN'T happen between Kelly & Bette but with Jenny dead... it's basically a non-issue... the death of a miscommunication. I have more opinions but i'll stop writing cause if i go any longer people will prob skip it and not bother to read it.

Cheers... Enjoy "The Farm" Everybody!

P.S. PLS SUPPORT THAT SHOW!... have faith that the creators of a show this good are capable of crafting another amazing story. And for those who say (without even seeing any footage) "this sounds like another "Bad Girls" you have the right to your opinion but let the show speak for itself before you bail on it.

alexy_paris

[12]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 3
    I am very disapointed about this finale..worst epidose ever ?
    All this mystery around Jenny's death, unsolved...yet ? Did she fell? Is it a suicide ? Did Bette pushed her (Jenny would have shouted no ???)...well I will fortget this episode as I expected so much !!

thaicefenix

[14]Mar 9, 2009
    kyona1124 wrote:

IN THE END I WAS HAPPY BUT SAD THAT EVERYTHING'S OVER. THAT THERE WONT BE ANY L WORD EVER.

I wouldn't say EVER... there is a pretty strong Fanbase pushing for an L word Movie... They did an interesting enough job tying off lose ends where they may not see cause for it but since a lot of the feedback seems to be unsatisfied with the conclusion we got... it has a chance I'd guess... If sex & the city got one The L word NEEDS one.

breezy2281

[15]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 19
    was this episode 2 hours long, because i thought the tv said it was going to be, and i tried to watch it but i think i only got an hour. does anyone know? please message me

SireJoe

[16]Mar 9, 2009
    This episode was garbage. I had been expecting much much more. In fact I didn't even know this was the actual last episode until near the end. There have been facets of this show that I have really not liked over the seasons, but overall I was enjoying it.

This ending was just terrible. As others have said, so so SO many loose ends left unresolved. So much came to a front in such a short period of time and then BAM it's over. I was very disappointed. There is so much more to this story. Very sad to see it not get a proper ending.

Typical network unmanagement of a good show.

MetaLuna

[17]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 5
    I also was completely clueless to the fact it was the series finale until the slow-motion crap at the end. Then I just wanted to slap someone. (Ideally Jenny. Possibly also the writers of this show.)

Did no one else immediately assume she committed suicide? The second I saw her dead in the season opener, I assumed she killed herself. Little miss drama queen. And this finale really implied it further - the dramatic, sad "goodbye" in her tribute video, for example.

Buhl9

[18]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 14
    I'm disgusted. I didn't know it was the finale episode. And wtf, why would they only allow them to have EIGHT episodes in the final season? That alone is ridiculous. It so didn't feel like a finale episode at ALL. There are way too many loose storylines to end it on that. UGH. I'm appauled right now. I just finished watching it and I just don't know what to say. At the end, when they were all walking/smiling at each other I was like...what the heck? I also thought that they were all in on it at first, then it said "Thanks for six great seasons." Seriously? All I have to say is, yeah, thanks for a crappy ending.

houdvtv1

[19]Mar 10, 2009

there was a special on before the episode aired..you can watch it on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxW82P-Thp4

its better than the epi so enjoy. you can see the last day of shooting...they say goodbye to eachother..its nice to watch,.....better than watching that horrible finale.

druscila

[20]Mar 11, 2009

I got to the end and thought "WTF FINALE?!"

Goodness, I assumed Jenny had killed herself because due to how badly this episode was written, the fact that the railing was not fixed was mentioned far too many times ad nauseum. I thought, "Okay, I think we got the hint, ENOUGH ALREADY!"

The L Word has been an incredible series, but this was just a terrible way to end it. Blah.

I agree the change in drama made no sense, the whole thing needs to come full circle, but they didn't because they had to have this Jenny dying crap.