The L Word Forums

Showtime (ended 2009)

Spinoff - Not Happening

breezy2281

[21]Dec 28, 2008
    • level: 19
    has anyone heard maybe when the spin off might start airing, and where we can watch it? will it still be on showtime? i hope it is as popular so i can still download it, that's the only way i get to watch it lol.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Animecookie123

[22]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 6

Ok, this is what i got from Wikipedia about the spin-off: "Series creator Ilene Chaiken recently wrote and produced a 20 minutes presentaion for a possible spinoff centering around women's prison in which Leisha Hailey's character Alice Pieszecki is detained. The project was shot in December 2008, while the sixth and final season of the Showtime drama series will premiere in January 2009. Famke Janssen, Melissa Leo and Laurie Metcalf were part of the cast."

Yep, that's what's goin' down. Alice will not be in New York, she'll be in prison. For Alice to be in prison seems kind of funny, but at the same time depressing. I want to know how Alice gets into prison and if she'll have her same personality. Well, you guys have to stream for the 20 minute presentation for it, cause they are putting it on the internet first and then see if they'll make it into a series. Well, this a big change, I hope it'll be good.

raging_monkey

[23]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    but isnt the spin off called "the farm"? that would make no sense at all if shes in prison otherwise it should be called something like "the prison" lol im imaginative but yeah

redsoxnation620

[24]Jan 10, 2009

***SPOILER***
    idk i just got showtime recently so just started getting into the show and now it ends haah figures
    Edited on 01/11/2009 8:58am

breezy2281

[25]Jan 12, 2009
    Animecookie123 wrote:

Ok, this is what i got from Wikipedia about the spin-off: "Series creator Ilene Chaiken recently wrote and produced a 20 minutes presentaion for a possible spinoff centering around women's prison in which Leisha Hailey's character Alice Pieszecki is detained. The project was shot in December 2008, while the sixth and final season of the Showtime drama series will premiere in January 2009. Famke Janssen, Melissa Leo and Laurie Metcalf were part of the cast."

Yep, that's what's goin' down. Alice will not be in New York, she'll be in prison. For Alice to be in prison seems kind of funny, but at the same time depressing. I want to know how Alice gets into prison and if she'll have her same personality. Well, you guys have to stream for the 20 minute presentation for it, cause they are putting it on the internet first and then see if they'll make it into a series. Well, this a big change, I hope it'll be good.

um, there's already a lesbian prison show, it came from the british side and its called Bad Girls. who knows though, maybe this one could be different/better.

breezy2281

[26]Jan 12, 2009
    well if they are putting it on the net first, when/where do we watch it?

Plonked

[27]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 16
    My sister is going to be so happy about this. This show is all she talks about.
    Edited on 01/21/2009 9:01am

breezy2281

[28]Jan 28, 2009
    anyone know when and where we can watch it?

breezy2281

[29]Feb 2, 2009
    no word yet? apparently they were supposed to start recording the spinoff in december

breezy2281

[30]Feb 9, 2009
    am i the only one still posting in this topic? lol no word yet?

xX-Linda-Xx

[31]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    WOW, i think this could be great!!! what an idea, nicely done!

breezy2281

[32]Feb 22, 2009
    any word on when and where yet?

Bleumke

[33]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 14
    Still no clue

breezy2281

[34]Mar 9, 2009
    man this sucks, i really want to know

breezy2281

[35]Mar 12, 2009
    any news yet?

breezy2281

[36]Mar 16, 2009
    why does this stupid forum say "hot new messages since you last replied" on the topic, but yet there are no replies? weird.

47Leonie

[37]Apr 3, 2009

You're so impatient!

You could just google it, here you are:

From After Ellen:

Showtime will not be airing The L Word spinoff The Farm, the entertainment industry's leading trade publications are reporting today.

"Showtime is zeroing in on new series pickups," Variety reports, and "it's understood that the pay cabler has passed on ... The Farm, an L Word spinoff from producer Ilene Chaiken." According to The Hollywood Reporter, earlier this week "the network informed the producers of two pilots — the L-Word spinoff starring Leisha Hailey and the Matthew Perry/Peter Tolan comedy The End of Steve — that they would not continue."

The pilot for the women-in-prison drama focused on The L Word's Alice (Leisha Hailey) after she is convicted of killing Jenny (Mia Kirshner), whose death was left unresolved in the series finale of the lesbian drama last month.

Although the actresses were unaware of the murder plot during filming, the entire final season of The L Word revolved around "Who Killed Jenny?" Showtime posed this question repeatedly on television and online before and during the eight-episode sixth season, with storylines written to give each of the main characters a motive for the murder.

But when the series ended on March 8, the question remained unanswered, primarily because, Chaiken told The L.A. Times in January, "I don't actually feel compelled to answer it."

With the announcement of The Farm spinoff in the works, however, it was widely assumed by viewers that Alice would be convicted of the crime, although it is not known whether she actually committed it.

At the TCA Winter Press Tour in January, Showtime Entertainment President Robin Greenblatt described The Farm as "grittier" than other female prison dramas, with only a few lesbians among the large cast of characters.

Famke Janssen, Melissa Leo, and Laurie Metcalfe had guest roles in the pilot, with the possibility of becoming series regulars.

Showtime has not yet officially commented on the status of The Farm.

Hailey is currently busy promoting her band Uh Huh Her.

With The L Word over and The Farm unlikely to air, there are few regular lesbian or bisexual characters slated to appear on primetime cable or premium TV in the near future. There are currently no lesbian characters in regular roles on primetime broadcast TV, and only three regular bisexual characters.

Sooo..that sucks

Talvix

[38]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 52
    Showtime has decided not to pick up The Farm. Source: hollywoodreporter.com.

breezy2281

[39]Apr 6, 2009
    this really sucks. what the hell, can't they give us gays ANYTHING?

ElectricSuzy

[40]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 10
    47Leonie wrote:

From After Ellen:

Showtime will not be airing The L Word spinoff The Farm, the entertainment industry's leading trade publications are reporting today.

Damn, this is such a bummer! I was really looking forward to what the spinoff would reveal about the final season of The L Word, but I guess that won't be happening... Anyone know if the pilot episode will available any where on the net? That would be fun, at least to see the pilot.