The L Word

Land Ahoy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 24, 2005 on Showtime

• The start of the fall for Jenny...

I see this episode as the pinpoint for Jenny's character. Up until now I had liked or tolerated her. She was annoying, but most of the time it was short-lived. However, from here on I start to really dislike her character. This episode is the beginning of her downfall into a character that I can't stand, though there have been hints before. I found nothing redeemable in her this episode at all.
    I'm glad that Mark has finally been found out. However it's also been nice to see his own motives and emotions change over the course of his 'project'. To begin with he merely wanted to exploit the girls, using them to make money. Now, though, he has made friends with them, is psychologically intrigued by Shane and his refused to sell his saucier footage just for funds.
    It was nice to see Tina offering Bette a new chance. However I think that Tina is on shaky ground, as she is raising Bette's hopes whilst still involved in Helena. I don't believe that twisting up their relationships even more will do either of them much good, and I don't think Tina should offer more to Bette before breaking-up from Helena.
    It was good to see Bette being strong with her father. I got the feeling that she wouldn't have stood up for herself and Tina so well before they had broken-up. Her father's hyporcritical behaviour contrasting Benjamin and Tina was well written and acted.
    Dana and Alice were pretty bland, not much to comment on.
    All in all this was mostly just a filler episode, without much new. Just reinstating relations in time for coming changes.
  • Great Alice/Dana episode.

This episode displays some of The L Word's characteristic mix of sex and humour - the situations Alice and Dana manage to get themselves into is always amusing and the performances from Leisha and Erin are highly satisfying.
    I think this is the weirdest Jenny gets, which is saying something. Not such a good episode for Shane fans, though, as she has actually turned her libido off for once.
    I called it a filler episode because it sort of sets the scene for the penultimate and finale episodes of the season. Bette's father gets ill and Jenny and Carmen break up, leaving the way for Shane and Carmen to get together, for Jenny to finally fly off the handle and for Bette's father to die.
    PS - for anyone who has the DVD, there's a good commentary of this episode with Kate Moennig, Leisha Hailey and Erin Daniels.