The L Word

Layup

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 28, 2007 on Showtime

• This is a great episode and is done very well!

In this episode, Bette deals with an artist named Jodi whose work is politically incendiary and is a conflict to her work. In this episode they also have a basketball game with the usual against Papi's team. It is one of the funniest scenes of the show I have ever seen. In the game, Tina is rejected by her friends at a basketball game and joins the opposing team with Papi. During the game Jenny does nothing, Bette is, as always, a control freak about everything, Papi won't let up on Shane, Alice is sort of the team leader, and none of the people on Alice's team can shoot if their lives depended on it. It was just a very funny scene and a great episode. I highly recommend it. I love this episode and is very funny.
  • Mediocre. Not much character development.

7.1
    I found this episode to be pretty mediocre. Maybe I just prefer angst and drama ;)

I just didn't enjoy it that much.

It started with the ridiculous sex scene with Alice - why are her sex scenes this season so unbelievably bad???????? Are they supposed to be comical or do they all just go horribly wrong?!? And it felt like we were supposed to be surprised by the fact that Alice was with Phyllis, when actually it was very predictable.

The stuff with Bette's work was pretty predictable as well. And there is no way she should have threatened Nadia with discipline That makes her look soooooooooo bad. Soon she'll be losing her job when Nadia complains

I quite liked the conversation about Tina's identity as a lesbian. It was a shame we didn't get a bit more of that. And Bette going after Tina was funny. Oh and why was Jenny the one who was most rejecting Tina? Jenny's the one who's all supposedly experimental and up for anything normally.

The basketball game was okay... quite enjoyable, but could have been better. Bette was so good in it I would have liked to have seen more of her shots.

I cannot BELIEVE where they are going with Angus. How stupid. That's not who he is at all. He's supposed to be head over heels in love with Kit, a genuinely good man. Why ruin that?!?! That nanny wasn't even that appealing - just a little - *I'm censoring myself*.

Jenny Jenny Jenny *sigh* Why can't they make it so she sees the vet is happy and lets her be. Jenny as a home wrecker. Hope she doesn't get too much airtime.

The Shane thing was kind of obvious from a couple of episodes ago. Nice photos. I wonder how the plot will develop though? And what the mom from the school will be like, if she'll be playing a bigger role.

Alice and Papi seem to be very good friends. Didn't see that coming.

Like everyone else I enjoyed Bette's 'la la laaa' at Alice

Not much to comment on with Helena or Kit.
  • Damn if the L Word isn't getting better and better this year. I actually wait to see the new episodes, don't fast forward AND re-watch them. Quite the change from last season, of which I probably missed a few episodes.

Leisha is on fire with her Alice, who's even funnier than in the first season. She's quickly becoming one of my favourites, which I didn't really have before. Other than Shane, but that got old rather quickly. Alice in bed giving instructions is a great start for the ep. She and Phyllis manage to be both fun and hot.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole Shane and Shay thing, but so far the storyline has managed to be better than one might expect. The scene at the school where Shane sees Shay's drawing is borderline too sweet, but Kate does the moved Shane well. And finally we got Kristanna, who has deeper voice than I remembered. And damn she's tall. For someone who's quite the opposite it's not uncommon to hear comments about her height, so I think it's only fair not to mention miss Loken's giant-like physique again.

Mia Kirsher mentioned in an interview that this season we would get "Jenny times ten" and she wasn't overexaggarating. And I'm totally loving her. Her, and her brilliant evil scheme to get to know vagina wig's girlfriend. And her sunglasses, and drinking coffee on a basketball field, sorry, court. And her running with the ball and away from it. We totally had girls like that at our gym classes, though we played volleyball more often.

I must be in the minority when it comes to Papi. I like her. It might tell a lot about my knowledge of the latina culture, but I don't see her as a caricature at all. She might come across a bit one-dimensional, but who cares. She loves the girls and isn't shy to show it. And she looks hot, with the tattoo shirt and the low-hanging cargo-pants.

Seriously, there should have been team sports way earlier this show. Not only is Alice totally adorable when she gets excited about "getting a little team together", she's also almost convincing when she states they're the kick ass girls. And good god I laughed at the team bourgeoi-ass when they arrived at the fi...court. The funniest part must have been Alice's bling bling. Although, I must say no one has had funnier scene in the entire run of the show than Leisha during the game. I couldn't stop laughing at her. The competitive Bette was also hot, but then again, she always is.

Weirdly enough, neither of the aforementioned got my attention as much as one of the girls from Papi's team. The one who Alice **** and who later tried to intimidate her. She was hot. Can't wait to see Tasha. And there should definitely be more basketball! After all, they do need more practice. At least Alice and Jenny.

Although I was disappointed in the way last episode ended, in the sense that it ended way too soon, before we got to see Bette actually having sex with Nadia, I did think it was the hottest scene in a while. And I was kind of hoping there'd be more of that in this episode, but sadly no. Nadia was getting annoying in the class room, so I guess it's for the best. And they did introduce Jodi, so off with the old lover, in with the new one. No one curses better than Bette, be it **** Alice" like in the last episode, or **** me" as in this one. I never thought I'd hear that Ally McBeal sound effect again, but it was amusing with Phyllis' hallway scene. And she was adorable while admiring the female form.

I might be high because of all the goodiness of this season has delivered so far, but I don't mind Max at all. I was feeling sorry for him when he was telling his secret, because it was so obvious he didn't think it as freaky, but also because it was so obvious the girl wouldn't take the news well. I even can watch the scenes with Angus and Kit, and be mildly interested in them. But not with Angus and the new nanny. That was bad.

Helena is one character I haven't really been fond of, but you have to admit she looks really good in Alice's clothes. And their shared enthusiasm for her scoring was again adorable. Leisha has had great scenes with everyone this season, but my favourites are the ones with Alice and Bette. They are so funny. Nonono, lalalaLAA!

I'm such an ass for not even realising they were all thinking of Dana when mentioning gay tennis players. Obviously the suckiness of last season affected my affections with the characters as well. But what a great ending for the episode with Shane, I sort of fell back into my old habits of Shane-lusting. And Peaches, yay!
  • i was just fine!

i have to admit i was kind of disappointed with this episode.. it was funny and cute but nothing really important happened.. aside from the addition of the new character (sorry i don't know her name yet) this episode was not that interesting.. honestly i expected something more.. this is already their fourth episode this season and i thought by now they will have atleast one solid story line..

i just hope the next episode will be better than this one.. they should begin the relationship between of Shane and Papi already.. i've been waiting for that one for ages..
  • very revealing in the inner strengths & feelings,Shane feelings for her little brother, Bette's strength to end frisk before it to late, Alice's for keeping the group together as a team, Tina for not giving up on her friends

This was a very heart warming episode even thought there were some unuaul twists. I am glad that Bette ended the frisk with Nadia. I feel she was reaching out for some sense of belonging after she saw that Alice was having a date with her boss. Alice seemed to be gloating over the fact that she was going against what her and Bette had talked about in Bette's office. I don't think she was doing this to make Bette mad as much as to make her realize that she too has feelings and as a womam needs to act on them. Shane was trying so hard to be a big sister and mentor for her little brother it brought tears to my eyes. She knows how it feels to be abandoned by her father that she was going to do whatever it took to see that this didn't happen to Shay. Her feelings run real deep for Shay, eventhough she may have a hard time showing that side to other people. She has always had to be the "Nothing gets to me" type. She even went against her own instints to do the photo shoot to get the money for his arm. I only hope this doesn't backfire on her. I think the emotions were running high for Bette during the meeting with Jodi because of what she was going through with the Nadia. She was on the defensive from the word go. I don't think Bette would have reacted so strongly if things were going good for her. Alice dating her boss, Nadia making moves in class and then the sculpture...that's just too much. The most fun I had was watching the basketball game between the girls. I felt they came on a little strong when Tina showed up. I think they should have let her play for them and not said anything. Bette only wanted to know where Angelica was and never said anything when they started putting her down. If anything she acted a little ashamed of the way the were treating her. Jenny came down really hard on her for no reason. After all the relationships Jenny has been in and out of, she of all people should have not said anything in my opinion. I think it was awful how she treated Tina. Tina was nice enough to invite her to the get together at Henry's house....I loved how the paired up to guard each other...Bette & Tina...that was awsome when she rammed her from the back and said she was traveling than made that awsome layup. I have never seen Bette move like that. It was great to see her in some real life, kick back having fun situations. I don't know what to make of the Jenny storyline. Seems like the are grabbing at straws to give her a part with the group. Her and Max's storylines seem to be way out of sink with the rest of the girls. Even Helena's storyline is more in with the rest of the group than Jenny's and Max. I hope they find something more interesting for these two than what they have now. I get kinda of bored in their scenes. I hope this has not offended anyone but these are just my opinions on the LAY-UP episode.......
  • The woman play in a basketball game.

Lay Up is an excellent episode with a lot of great things about it. At this point in time, this episode is definitely my favorite episode from season four, and it's definitely the best episode of the season so far. The biggest reason that I like this episode so much is that it features the introduction of Marlee Matlin's character, Jodi Lerner, and having Marlee Matlin is the one thing that I've been looking forward to the most about season four of The L Word because I'm a huge Marlee Matlin fan. Based on what I've seen of her character in this episode, I have to say that I'm absolutely loving Jodi already. I absolutely loved her scenes. I loved Alice in this episode. Phylis was great too. The basketball game was great. As a whole, this episode was pretty funny. All in all, this was an excellent episode, and I would definitely consider this episode an L Word classic.
  • Alice loves her circles - lol

We see a very chatty Alice, obviously in the throes of receiving good sex, trying to be "the teacher" to someone who's a newbie, but apparently knows what she's doing. When it comes to the "wow, that was great" part, you see Phyllis come up for air - too cute. I liked seeing them together.

Then there was the basketball game - I don't understand our girls being so outrightly mean to Tina. They went to her party last week, and while they might not be as friendly with her as they once were, they haven't been shunning her, so why they wouldn't take her on their team makes no sense to me. I personally don't like Tina anymore, but their treatment of her isn't consistant with how they've been getting on with her previously.

Loved the scene where Alice is trying to convince an unwilling Bette to be on their basketball team, and finally resorting to "I'll just call Phyllis and have her make you be on the team" - she really is the funniest character of this series!

And I guess we had to do a Max scene - I'm glad to see he's come clean with his girlfriend, even though I hated to see her react the way she did (although I didn't expect anything else.) I don't care for the Max character, but I hate to see anyone treated like that. The girl could've just said "oh, sorry - not into that, but hey we've been getting along - let's be friends" One has to wonder what's going to happen to his job, now (like we don't know, huh?).

Worried about Angus - I hope his character sticks around. I would hate to see him go.

And poor Shane! Could that girl please just catch a break? Trying so hard with her brother (loved the scene where Shay's teacher shows Shane the picture Shay drew of himself holding hands with his big sis in the foreground with his parents way back in the background), and then he's gotta go break his arm. The minute the nurse starting rattling off how much it was all going to cost and I saw Shane's eyes glaze over with the "how am I going to get that much money together?" look, I knew she'd be knocking at the underwear folks' door. I guess one could look at it as luck that she has that route to go to get the money she needs for Shay together, but jeeeez, poor girl. So not in her nature to be a model....

Good episode - over too quick, but then they all seem to go by so fast.
  • glad someone is getting some...

So I am glad that Shane has really stepped up to do everything that she can for Shay. It’s good to see. Jenny gets crazier and crazier with each episode this season. I thought that with all her anger and stuff that she put in her book, she would be sane, but no. And now she is bringing an innocent dog into her world as a pawn. I have no idea why Papi is so into Shane as her “competition”, I am glad that Shane isn’t playing into her game. I am also glad that Bette called it off with her grad student, although I am sure that it isn’t 100% over. Glad that Alice seems to have gotten some good sex too.
SHOW