The L Word

Losing the Light

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 12, 2006 on Showtime

• It wasn\'t painful in a bad way, it was painful in an emotional way. The episode was bloody fantastic but it was a bit too close to home for me.

To be totally honest, I honestly didn\'t think Dana would be killed off. I tend to avoid reading spoilers about the show because it ruins it for me...but Dana\'s death totally surprised me.
    This episode...is really difficult to classify. The technical stuff is easy enough: The acting was at it\'s usual high standard and it was a great episode, like the others...just a lot more emotive.
    I wasn\'t so much surprised they were dealing with breast cancer in the show, more that they killed Dana off and everything happened so fast. When I read the show synopsis the day I watched it I figured everything would be alright at the end of the episode and Dana would be fine in the end, and she\'d get back with Alice etc etc, I really thought that\'s how things would turn out....but she died.
    Not long before I watched the episode a very close friend of mine found out she had cancer (again) and things really aren\'t looking good. I guess watching the episode without knowing what would happen was a bad idea this time, had I known that Dana would die I would\'ve missed the episode because I wasn\'t exactly in the right state of mind to see that happen. Y\'know what? Cancer\'s a b*tch, and this episode proves that...even more so when you have cancer youself or know somebody with it. Dealing with it for real is absolutely horrific, for the person with it and for those around them.
    Needless to say, I cried so much when I saw this episode, I just sat there bawling....it hurts so much and I know it\'s gonna be 1000 times worse when it happens for real.
    Losing someone you love hurts so bad, and this episode nailed every emotion, it really did, for me anyway. It showed how quick things can go bad and how much it affects everyone. I\'ll give props to the show and everyone involved for that but i\'m not happy Dana got killed off, her acting was first class though. They did well with the storyline though, they dealt with it well and pretty much made it true-to-life...which sucks but it\'s good in it\'s own way.
  • Dana's leaving...

It's been two days since I watch "Losing the light" and still I can't stop thinking about it.
    Isn't that what a writer wishes for when he creates such an episode?

I loved it. And hated it.
    How Dana's last words were "I love" to Alice. Then, when Al surprisingly bumped into Dana's ex, she said her friend was already getting better. And when she returned it hit her...
    I cried a lot.

I agree with those who say it's time for the show to return to its origin. Enough drama. We'd really like some happiness again!
  • Not like other episodes

Bette leaves the silent retreat and meets two other people who give her another perspective on how to deal with her emotions.

Kit worries about Angus when he doesn't meet her after breakfast like he said he would.

Jenny and Max's meeting with Tim and his pregnant wife doesn't go well.

Carmen tells Shane that she cheated on her after Shane's incident with Cherie.

Lara calls Dana, and leaves a message on her machine.

Dana dies, but before she does, she tells Alice that she loves her.

Wow, this episode... I'm just shocked, I never saw that coming. I was touched by the episode, but I can't believe Dana's gone, no more Dana. It feels like I have to mourn the loss of Dana.

I'm just totally shocked. I'm going to miss Erin Daniels!
  • A milestone in television history.

When my husband and I (we\'re gay men) first began watching the L Word, we found it incredibly funny and heartwarming. The first season had us laughing in the aisles and the second left us bewitched, bothered and bewildered. Now, we have hit the make or break mark for a TV series. The third season is a pivotal one for any serious show wishing to make its mark on television history. The L Word has not let us down. Dana\'s battle with cancer and inevitable demise left us all with an aching pain that needed to be suppressed. I definitely could relate to her character, after seeing five of my six aunts battle with breast cancer and also watching both of my parents die at a very early age. This episode made me almost nauseous. Leisha Hailey\'s (Alice) reaction to Dana having passed on was not only dead on the money but reminded me of how I reacted when my father died. I had also left the hospital to get some air and relax and when I returned, he had died. It will be interesting to see how Alice copes with this loss in this season and the rest to come. Dana not only showed us what it was like to be a victim of cancer, but what it takes to keep on truckin\'-- a will to survive. Erin Daniels portrayed Dana with such a quiet intensity that you couldn\'t take your eyes off of her. Her anger, fear and eventual resolve truly showed the strength of her character. But Dana was much more than a character... she was a woman of incredible strength and valor. I applaud the writers and actresses of The L Word for taking us on a journey that traversed every emotion of the human heart. Thank you for making television worth watching!
  • wow.

What an incredible weekend for two of my favourite shows. First Battlestar Galactica takes a crazy turn (for the worse, in my immediate opinion), and now the L Word loses a major character.

Yeah, major characters in TV shows leave all the time, but the way this was done was just mind-boggling. I never expected Dana to die, and I'm in total shock.
    Seeing Alice cry at the end, juxtaposed with the singing flower, that was just tough to see.
    When the exact time she died was flashing in the corner, and we saw everyone at that moment, that was neat. But wow.

The show has taken some amazing twists and turns since the beginning, and they never ease up on the drama.
    Definitely a heart-wrenching episode, but a pretty important one. It will be interesting to see how things go from here - not only with Dana's death, but with Jenny and Max and Tina and Bette. Of course that's not to say the other characters are not important, but seeing how the relationships will pan out, especially with this shocker, will be interesting.
    Poor Alice.

Fantastic series continues to be fantastic.
  • I hate it, I don't like it but I understand why it had to happen

No matter how long the L word continues on, this episode will be marked as one of the more pivotal ones of all time. It was well written and the minute-at-a-time style was excellent. Watching the lives of each character unfold over an one hour period made you realize just how short life is. Unfortunally, Dana did die in this episode but it was a part worth putting in. More importanly, the plot showed what everyone else was doing at that exact moment. Who they were with and what they were going threw. During the episode, Tina was on a date, Helena was getting her heart broken, Bette was struggling with the decisions in her life, Carmen and Shane were dealing with their own personal issues, Kit was having an emotional breakthrough and Jenny introduced her ex-fiance to Max. Alice was staying beside Dana but during the moment she left, she saw Tanya again. It is great that we were able to see how previous characters were living their lives but upsetting that at the same time were we seeing their futures, we were losing a friend. Finding out what happened to Tim pushed Jenny's storyline even farther and also seeing how Tanya revealed what she really thought of Alice.
  • As good as The L Word is gonna get this season...

This episode was a breath of fresh air, and some mad props to writer / director Rose Troche. At least someone on the staff over there knows what she's doing.

All the plotlines are strong and engaging, and there are some priceless little "moments" -

Kit looking in the mirror at Angus' is probably the best one. It proves that Miss Pam is quite the actress - even when her lines are subpar she manages to make us care. And in this case she captured my heart without saying a word.

Leisha Hailey is always incredible on screen, this episode was no exception.

Eric Mabius as Tim was a welcome face, and I'm glad he's happy now. He was a great character, and I tend to agree with everything he said abotu Jenny.

Bette's release was a joy to watch.

I'll miss Dana.

Overall, excellent

BUT

As a long time Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanatic, I have to say this episode kind of wanted to be "The Body". (The lack of background music, the subject matter, the 'stream of conciousnessy direction. yeah..)

If you've seen "The Body" (which was done years ago, and which is a stronger episode of televsion), you know what I'm talking about. And if you haven't I strongly reccomend it. And the whole series.

• ...and so it happened

Random notes about this very special and crucial episode of The L Word:

- Okay, they finally did it, they killed Dana. I can't help but being surprised when I read so many times people saying that they didn't expect it. It was obvious Dana was going to die from the very moment Lara finds the little lump in her breast. I wasn't shocked or surprised, and sadly, I wasn't even moved in the way I was expecting to be.
    - This was a very slow, cold episode with no music (which reminded me a lot of "The Body" from Buffy, in which Buffy's mom dies. Could we talk about rip off? I think we can).
    - The counter was not a very good idea. It made the ending so predictable and, again, cold. It was a low trick...
    - I can't help but wonder why they left Dana vanish in that way. I was expecting the writers to sort her inner conflicts out in some manner, but instead they let Dana go without giving her some kind of redemption. Saying "I love you" to Alice as last words was nice, but also unnecessary and made to play again with our emotions. I didn't feel her words to be totally true, I don't know why.
    - Alice crying over the final credits was another low trick. It seems the whole episode was intended to make a huge impact on us, but instead of that, it left me cold.
    - Why do I give this episode an 8.7?. Well, simply because apart from those important issues, it was satisfactory in the way the whole season is being to me: Dialogues were full of melancholy. The actresses were stunning. The cinematography was amazing. These characters are so true that it hurts so much everything that happens to them. It's so sad that they had to ruin that with a "special" episode like this one.
    - Letting the Dana issue apart, the rest of the show was more or less satisfactory as always. However, I can only remember the negative elements in it...
    - Carmen and Shane ZZZzzzZZZ. Why are they making their storylines soo incredibly boring? Can't they come up with something more interesitng and original than "I cheated on you because you cheated on me"?
    - Helena and her legal problems. How many times have we seen this???? Another symptom of exhaustion on behalf of Ilene and the writers?
    - Tim's special appearance served to bring psycho Jenny back (or al least a part of her). I didn't like those scenes at all. However Jenny was not the worst thing about it, it was Max. Okay, I began liking this girl/guy, but now he has become another low point in the show. I gess I know how Jenny and Max' story will end (you just have to pay attention to their talk about married life in the car).
    - That's all I can remember right now, thanks for reading!

Best: Leisha Hailey, I love her.
    Worst: Many things, but to stress one that I haven't commented above, Bette screaming and "sharing" with those strangers was just a bit embarrassing...

• I can’t believe it – so much happened in here. But I’m left confused and somewhere outside.

They did it, they really did it! Dana is dead! I just can’t believe it. I haven’t read any spoilers so I didn’t know and I didn’t see that one coming. Otherwise the show is far away from the usual. We have no “group meeting” where all main characters are at the café, we only see one or two of them, never more. That and the fact that this episode has no music, makes is a bit too cold and a bit confusing.
    So Bette has finally found herself and can share her problems with other people. Tina has really moved on with her boyfriend (!). I really wonder what will happen when Bette is back. I think they will split up. Tina won’t give up her job and she already moved on. Bette wants to control her live again, so she can’t stand Tina as an even stronger partner than herself.
    Alice hears that Dana loved her for a really long time and is devastated when she finds Dana in the hospital room.
    We see Lara in the beginning. The scene confused me. Will she be back in the show or is it the end (maybe expect of the funeral)? When it’s the end, I just don’t understand it, I think it was unnecessary, when she will stay – why not since the beginning of season three?
    Kit and her boyfriend got some issues too. Well I didn’t consider them as important.
    Max and Jenny meet Jenny’s ex-husband. Well I was surprised to see the complete old gang again! But it shows us one thing for real this time: Jenny has more self confidence than ever and has maybe even more than everyone else right now. She now can handle that she swims against the stream. She really is a writer now!
    Max becomes more chauvinistic every day. I don’t like him.
    Helena faces her legal problems and is left devastated too. Well I wasn’t that surprised.
    Shane and Carmen are in deeper trouble than ever. With the confession Carmen makes, the world of Shane is destroyed. I mean she was always the one who cheated and left; now Carmen tells her that she slept with some other girl. I think that was an interesting turn and I’m looking forward to the future of the two.

After all the whole episode was nice done, surprised me several times, but I ask myself: Is this how it’s going to be now? The last two or three episodes were quite confusing and left us somewhere on the outside.
  • ...

7.2
    It's odd, but this is probably one of my least favourite episodes of the season so far. It seemed quite anti-climactic. I was expecting a painful, tearful, dramatic hour-long death of Dana, surrounded by her friends...but instead we had lots of small segments of each of the isolated characters.
    The actual death was painful, of course, but perhaps only because of Alice's superb acting...the juxtapositioning of her reaction and the flower's song worked really well...but even so, my eyes filled with water but I didn't howl the buckets I was expecting to.
    As an episode, we saw a lot, but I think it was mostly filler. None of the parts really correlated to each other except within the wider themes of loneliness and relationships etc etc. I still don't understand why everyone assumed Tina adopted...today it was a little more understandable, given the people she was with, but when Josh asked her a few episodes ago I thought it was totally stupid - in America, do you not get mixed-race relationships?? I didn't give a damn about the whole Jenny/Moira/Tim/pregnant wife fiasco. It seemed totally pointless. I have no idea why it was even in the episode. e all got the idea already - Max is getting aggressive yada yada yada, we don't need constant reminders of their relationship! The Bette bit was o.k., and a natural final to her weeks of silence...still, I didn't care for it much. It would have worked better in an action-packed noisy episode as a gentle c-side storyline, not in this particular episode.
    Tanya was less annoying than I remembered her. I'm not sure of Alice's motivation in not revealing the truth about Dana's condition.
    Kit was annoying me this episode. And Angus didn't seem as likeable as he normally is. His body language totally put-me off. I'm confused about Shane and Carmen...when did Carmen cheat on Shane? And why did she only reveal it now? we've had so much break-up sex on The L Word, I hope this wasn't another case.
    Helena was totally weak in signing that document. I enjoyed seeing her mother, I expected a really homophobic woman who'd take away Helena's rights, but she was strong and confident. We may have seen her before and I've just forgotten! Anyway, even The Peabody's defence argument didn't work - they were trying to claim that Dylan had a grudge against the Peabody Foundation and was looking for revenge after being denied a grant so many times. Surely the argument is logically more sane that they only now got a grant, after being turned-down so much, once Helena had slept with her. Anyway, that hardly matters anymore. I don't think the Peabodies could have won in court unless they tried to get the couple to admit their own guilt or emotional feelings.
    All in all, I didn't really dislike any bits of the episode (except the Jenny parts). However, I wasn't too keen on it either. And I find it annoying that we didn't see Lara at Dana's death, as we did the other characters.