The L Word

Losing the Light

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 12, 2006 on Showtime

• A milestone in television history.

When my husband and I (we\'re gay men) first began watching the L Word, we found it incredibly funny and heartwarming. The first season had us laughing in the aisles and the second left us bewitched, bothered and bewildered. Now, we have hit the make or break mark for a TV series. The third season is a pivotal one for any serious show wishing to make its mark on television history. The L Word has not let us down. Dana\'s battle with cancer and inevitable demise left us all with an aching pain that needed to be suppressed. I definitely could relate to her character, after seeing five of my six aunts battle with breast cancer and also watching both of my parents die at a very early age. This episode made me almost nauseous. Leisha Hailey\'s (Alice) reaction to Dana having passed on was not only dead on the money but reminded me of how I reacted when my father died. I had also left the hospital to get some air and relax and when I returned, he had died. It will be interesting to see how Alice copes with this loss in this season and the rest to come. Dana not only showed us what it was like to be a victim of cancer, but what it takes to keep on truckin\'-- a will to survive. Erin Daniels portrayed Dana with such a quiet intensity that you couldn\'t take your eyes off of her. Her anger, fear and eventual resolve truly showed the strength of her character. But Dana was much more than a character... she was a woman of incredible strength and valor. I applaud the writers and actresses of The L Word for taking us on a journey that traversed every emotion of the human heart. Thank you for making television worth watching!