The L Word

Losing the Light

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 12, 2006 on Showtime

• ...

7.2
    It's odd, but this is probably one of my least favourite episodes of the season so far. It seemed quite anti-climactic. I was expecting a painful, tearful, dramatic hour-long death of Dana, surrounded by her friends...but instead we had lots of small segments of each of the isolated characters.
    The actual death was painful, of course, but perhaps only because of Alice's superb acting...the juxtapositioning of her reaction and the flower's song worked really well...but even so, my eyes filled with water but I didn't howl the buckets I was expecting to.
    As an episode, we saw a lot, but I think it was mostly filler. None of the parts really correlated to each other except within the wider themes of loneliness and relationships etc etc. I still don't understand why everyone assumed Tina adopted...today it was a little more understandable, given the people she was with, but when Josh asked her a few episodes ago I thought it was totally stupid - in America, do you not get mixed-race relationships?? I didn't give a damn about the whole Jenny/Moira/Tim/pregnant wife fiasco. It seemed totally pointless. I have no idea why it was even in the episode. e all got the idea already - Max is getting aggressive yada yada yada, we don't need constant reminders of their relationship! The Bette bit was o.k., and a natural final to her weeks of silence...still, I didn't care for it much. It would have worked better in an action-packed noisy episode as a gentle c-side storyline, not in this particular episode.
    Tanya was less annoying than I remembered her. I'm not sure of Alice's motivation in not revealing the truth about Dana's condition.
    Kit was annoying me this episode. And Angus didn't seem as likeable as he normally is. His body language totally put-me off. I'm confused about Shane and Carmen...when did Carmen cheat on Shane? And why did she only reveal it now? we've had so much break-up sex on The L Word, I hope this wasn't another case.
    Helena was totally weak in signing that document. I enjoyed seeing her mother, I expected a really homophobic woman who'd take away Helena's rights, but she was strong and confident. We may have seen her before and I've just forgotten! Anyway, even The Peabody's defence argument didn't work - they were trying to claim that Dylan had a grudge against the Peabody Foundation and was looking for revenge after being denied a grant so many times. Surely the argument is logically more sane that they only now got a grant, after being turned-down so much, once Helena had slept with her. Anyway, that hardly matters anymore. I don't think the Peabodies could have won in court unless they tried to get the couple to admit their own guilt or emotional feelings.
    All in all, I didn't really dislike any bits of the episode (except the Jenny parts). However, I wasn't too keen on it either. And I find it annoying that we didn't see Lara at Dana's death, as we did the other characters.
SHOCW