The L Word

Showtime (ended 2009)

Joker00303

The L Word Fan Reviews (134)

• I have had mixed feelings about this show since it first began. While it's pleasant to see lesbians on television, it's not always the most flattering portrayal.

I loved this show when it first began. It addressed some interesting issues, and it was groundbreaking to have a show revolving around the lives and loves of lesbian and bisexual characters. As the show progressed, I became more and more fed up with the way the characters were handled. Besides the ever-annoying Jenny, the characters I had loved from the start started to degrade into generally bad people. EVERYONE cheats on everyone. In the season 6 opener, Alice even admits that this is the standard lesbian thing to do. This is the message we want to be sending? Angus, the one positive male figure on the show, was turned into a cheating bastard. And when Tina is involved with a man, what happens? None of the lesbians want to talk to her because she's somehow betraying her kind. So much for being allowed to love whoever, regardless of gender. The show essentially shows the message that it's ok to cheat, bisexuals aren't good enough to be friends with lesbians, men are evil, and everything boils down to sex. That's not the message that should be sent in the one lesbian drama on television. That said, I suppose it's still entertaining television.
SHOCE