Season 2 on DVD?

fatkid78

[1]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 3

With the release of every piece of garbage ever to appear on the tv schedule to DVD, it is difficult to understand how a show with as much fanfare and hype as the Larry Sander's Show has not seen its second season released to DVD. 

Were sales figures for season 1 particularly poor?  Does anyone know of a release is planned?  I read somewhere on the web that Gary was quoted as saying this was one of his top priorities, but I haven't heard anything since.  Any insight is appreciated.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tamnoon

[2]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 2
    from wikipedia.com: "While appearing on the The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, which aired May 24, 2006, Shandling announced that the second season will be available Fall 2006."

let's keep our fingers crossed!

helserj

[3]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    tamnoon wrote:
    from wikipedia.com: "While appearing on the The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, which aired May 24, 2006, Shandling announced that the second season will be available Fall 2006."

let's keep our fingers crossed!

Where can you buy these - I haven't been able to find it in stores. I suppose you can get it online..

escpla

[4]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    "Not Just the Best of the Larry Sanders Show"

From Sony Pictures: Forget about two dozen of the best episodes of a television series that received 77 Emmy ® nominations during its run on HBO. The new DVD, "Not Just the Best of The Larry Sanders Show," has over 8 hours of NEWLY PRODUCED material that makes this not just your regular DVD -- not even close.

There are personal,intimate visits meant for only Garry Shandling to see, because they are raw, real-life encounters between Shandling and stars who appear in these episodes, like Tom Petty, Jerry Seinfeld, Alec Baldwin, Jon Stewart, Greg Kinnear, and others.

These unrehearsed visits surpass even the Sanders reality, because they take a leap forward into what were the core ingredients of the show: unexpected human behavior, truth and humor.

The DVD also includes a documentary, "The Making of The Larry Sanders Show," which reveals an in-depth and surprising look at the process of conceiving and putting the show together. The DVD is a celebration of the show that was recently picked "one of the ten best ever" by the LA Times. The DVD also features guest stars in these episodes such as Jeremy Piven, David Duchovny, Bruno Kirby, Ellen DeGeneres, and Sarah Silverman.

Due from Sony April 17.

jekyll

[5]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 86
    While that set is great, that's not what we wanted. It makes very little sense to do that instead of releasing the whol thing. Also, those interviews would be much better (at least the ones Larry does) if they were more oriented to the show.

Musicals101

[6]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 6

jekyll wrote:
    While that set is great, that's not what we wanted. It makes very little sense to do that instead of releasing the whol thing. Also, those interviews would be much better (at least the ones Larry does) if they were more oriented to the show.

So true Jekyll. If they're going to take the effort to put out this set, they could just go the extra mile and package the full season sets which is what most people buy anyway. Putting out a "best of" set is not a good way to test the waters because most collectors shut down immediately when they see a random episode set. They're waiting for the season sets. The seasons are fairly short where they could combine 2 seasons into one set for less releases, especially since the episodes are about 23 minutes each. This is just insulting to true TV fans. What idiots are buying Full House and Wings season sets over the The Larry Sanders Show (one of the greatest shows of all time)? I just can't believe that those cookie cutter network shows would do better in sales than this premium, classic HBO show. Just about every show produced by HBO and Showtime are great shows because they don't churn out 24 episodes a season and dozens of shows a year, they cherry-pick just a few shows and do about 13 episodes a year. When you look at the results it can't be denied that this is a better way to do things. And most critics, including me, would put this show on their list of top shows OF ALL TIME. If you really want the episodes, of course, you can download them online somewhere, but I usually buy sets for the extras like deleted scenes and commentary. This set I would buy for the episodes, so hurry up and put the whole thing on DVD.

spidey0811

[7]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 1

the reason that series 2 is not on dvd is down to copyright due to the different bands and performers on the show being under contracts with different labels. I remember hunting out info for the dvd and Garry mentioned it in an interview in read. Its a case of SONY versus everyone else. The amount of loyalties that would have to be paid out would be ludicrous. He said he was trying hard to get it released but that was a few years back sadly

Edited on 07/15/2010 2:18pm