The Last Don

CBS (ended 1997)

SundayVM

The Last Don Fan Reviews (1)

• Great Story! Great Family!

So it's not The Godfather. It shouldn't be. It's its own film and I enjoyed it for what it was, a tv movie about the mythological crime mafia family. The Clericuzios have a feud with the Santadios. Their children have a bit of a Romeo and Juliet thing but Juliet lives (Rose) and has Dante, aptly played by Rory Cochrane. Cross, son of the family hitman and Vegas dancer, rises through the ranks, earning his bones and becoming head of the casinos. The sub Hollywood story adds more dimension and really points out how interconnected the government and business really is, how corrupted both are. Jason Gedrick fits his part well. I can't think of another tv star who could have played the part of Crucifixio, Cross, quite as well. I don't like the addition of Athena (I'm not a fan of Daryl Hannah) and her scum husband. I understood the role of the storyline and how it just showed how "dirty" Cross was becoming. Still, I wish it was better written. In any event, the movie is over the top...the characters are cliched...the lines are prescribed but still...it's a good time.