A The Leftovers Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on HBO (Returning 2016)

HBO's The Leftovers isn't ready to depart just yet. The show has officially been renewed for a second season, the network announced Wednesday.

“We are thrilled to bring back The Leftovers for a second season with the exceptional talents of Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta,” HBO's president of programming, Michael Lombardo, said in a statement. “It has been truly exciting to see the overwhelming response to their provocative and original storytelling. We look forward to continuing the journey as the show delves deeper into the lives of those who remain.”

The divisive drama, which stars Justin Theroux, Ammy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, and Liv Tyler, details the aftermath of a mass disappearance of two percent of the world's population. The show's Season 1 finale will air Sunday, September 7 at 10pm on HBO. 

Are you excited for more The Leftovers? Now that we're seven episodes in, how are you feeling about the future of the series? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/6/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

53 Comments
Comments (53)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I dont mind to have to think now and then. But i didnt get it did watch all the episode so nobody can blame me for not trying :)
Flag
Of course it got renewed. It's amazing TV.

What it it also shows, probably by accident, is the difference between types of viewers.

Look at the episode reviews. A clear split of those people that want throught-provoking TV and those that just want feel-good TV with no depth.
Flag
They will do and I will not notice it ;))

Flag
If your dim witted or slow...... you probably won't like (comprehend) this show.

It asks alot of the viewer and assumes a level of intelligence in response. I can see why most would not like (understand) the concept of the show.
Flag
I guess we should all ask ourselves if we want to keep feeling this way? :&)

and

To the best of our knowledge, do we think they are in a better place? :&)

Flag
I'm liking it more than I thought I would. It is pretty grim, though, so I make sure I watch a comedic something after, just to clear my palate ;&)
Flag
although i don't know some of the things that are happening in this show im still gonna keep watching i think its weirdly nice..

Flag
Please, stop this madness! Lindelof is THE WORST writer today. Everything he touches turns into crap. This gay even managed to cripple Aliens franchise - pure talent! And now they renewed Leftovers... Are you serious?!
Flag
It's not a typical sci-fi show so I guess that's the reason why some people find it boring/unexpected and left after few episodes. The way Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta telling the story is very character driven, and emotional. I am glad it got renew cause it's a great drama. However I wonder how long it could survive without new elements, since people might get bored sooner or later if it's just about griefing the death/past.
Flag
Is this show better than Halt and Catch Fire?

Personally I found that show to be one hell of a bore and gave up after 4 and a bit episodes.

Outside of hardcore computer geeks not sure who else could find it remotely interesting.
Flag
YES!
Flag
Great news!! Can't wait to see how the show plays out
Flag
I don't get why people don't like the show. It is the best drama on TV. The acting, the storytelling, the emotion, the cinematography... basically everything is top-notch. And yet people criticize it because "they don't get it" or they want "answers"? Stop nit-picking and be patient. It is what it is. It's a character drama and character study, not some giant mystery saga or science fiction quest.

Flag
@drummer916

Well said. The best drama on now without a doubt.
Flag
It is the best drama on TV?

Really?
Thats a helluvan endorsement.Especially considering the show page has only one person who isnt calling it boring and rudderless.

I've never watched it because imo the premise isnt particularly compelling.
Flag
Maybe you should just watch it and form your own opinion instead of listening to everyone else.
Flag
I didnt say I agreed with everyone else. I just noted that your opinion seems to contrast many others. When thats the case, you don't expect anyone to call a show the best drama on tv. Thats a hellavan endorsement even for a show that people generally tend to like.

People say similar stuff about Game of thrones and Breaking Bad.

Certain subject matter has lost its appeal to me, and because of that, there are multiple shows I no longer follow. Sons of Anarchy is one. Yet its a well liked show. So is The Walking Dead.

Flag
I'm surprised someone would question a comment when not having seen the show.

Forget what others say.

This IS the best show currently on TV. Based on the previous episode, maybe one of the best ever.

Give it a chance. You might be surprised.
Flag
Its getting apocalytic as we speak: it would be a shame not to get to see it.
Flag
Welcome news! I'm totally addicted to this show!
Flag
I am happy it is getting renewed. It is actually starting to pick up sum now. Just needs to move a little faster.
Flag
I'm not unhappy it's renewed for another season, but at the same time, I really have no idea what this show is really even supposed to be about or where it's planning on going. Furthermore, I really don't see how they plan to attract even more viewers if they continue with the current atmosphere of depression and stoicism plastered over every single scene.
Flag
lol haven't even seen the first episode yet as I am soooo behind with other shows , but I don't choose shows I don't like. That being said , yes I am happy it was renewed :)
Flag
I happy it's renewed. Sometimes I am a bit frustrated with wanting them to get to some sort of point, but it is interesting and weird and I want to know what happens.
Flag
OK, I really don't get it. So many decent shows get cancelled after only one season; shows that deserve to be renewed but don't quite make the ratings grade or impress the critics enough. And then they (the TV networks) go and renew crappy reality TV and shows like this, which, in my humble opinion, is one of the single most excruciatingly boring and tedious television experiences I have ever had.

Seriously, I really really don't get it....
Flag
The fact tha you are putting this in the same bracket as reality TV and 'shows like this' (what other show is like this?) probably explains why you didn't like it.

It could not be further from reality TV.

In my opinion it is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen.
Flag
I guess that by "shows like this" I mean tortuous, excruciatingly drawn out character drama, that lacks any significant comedic touch, excitement or plot.

I realise that a surprisingly large number of people actually enjoy this show. But I'm afraid I can't quite get my head around it. To think that shows like Jericho, Last Resort, Pan Am, Moonlight, Firefly, Almost Human, Terra Nova, etc all got cancelled after 1 season, while this gets renewed is, to me, quite frankly mindboggling.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the fans the show they enjoy, but I don't think I will ever get it.
Flag
That's fair enough if you don't like it or get it, but that doesn't mean it lacks plot. In my opinion, the opposite is true. I would say potentially the plot might be too big for TV.

It's just outstandingly good writing, something that is lacking so much in current TV.
Flag
Works for me. I like TV that's not so predictable and boring, has ample weirdness and talented actors and actresses.
Flag
Um...okay? Does this mean that the general story will now be more directed away from the book and into a weird and fun world of Damon's? I hope so, it might make the whole experience feel less like homework when sometimes I think Sunday nights should be for fun and campy shows.
Flag
Great! Can we get a community now?
Flag
So unique, so original so addictive.
Flag
I'm glad it got renewed, and despite the fact that I don't think the story needs to be spelled out to us, and we don't need to know specifically what happened to the 'departed', etc., I'm glad we're getting some hints. You'll notice in the last episode the Asian woman, while going ballistic with the handgun, shouted out, "He told me my son would be the bridge!", which is pretty intriguing stuff, as well as the voices the son may get from his dad through the National Geographic. I think the show is fantastic -- some episodes much more than others -- and am thrilled it got another season.
Flag
Does anyone know when The Newsroom will return for its final season?
Flag
Niiiiceeee..i'm really glad it got renewed!
Flag
Awesome! Don't really understand why so many people (and critics) seem to hate/dislike the show. One of the better shows of the moment IMO.
Flag
From what I can surmise, it is a strong combination of Lost hate and people not smart enough to get the show.

For every 1 person that says they don't like it because they find it too glum or the concept not very intriguing (legitimate reasons), there are another 20 who hate it just because it is the same head writer as Lost, or say they hate how they aren't getting plot answers.
Flag
I only saw 2 episodes but I just couldn't get into it. I could do without the teenagers. I find them boring and angsty. I don't know, I doubt I'll watch another episode.
Flag
That's a great point. Before I stopped watching, the stupid stereotype angsty teens were what I think I hated the most. I found myself fast forwarding through all their scenes and probably missed something important because they were in soooo many. God, sooo many. They were total self-absorbed stereotypes. Annoying and uninteresting.

I think I also stopped watching it because it was just depressing. The mute, chain smoking cultists were depressing to me. I hated them and so didn't care what happened to them. I hated the policeman's wife for abandoning her family and thought she was just plain stupid for joining a cult. So I simply don't care about any "personal journey" or character development she may be experiencing. I get that after such an unexplainable catastrophe people will do whatever it takes to cope. But that still doesn't change the fact that I don't like her and wish she would just go away.

I've been up for a good post-rapture drama (Left Behind doesn't count - ha). Unfortunately this isn't it.
Flag
Well that, at the very least, is a legimate reason for not continuing to watch the series. I watch and love the series, and I recognise that the teenagers are probably the worst part of it, so I do get what you're saying.

What @SkiingPteroda is saying is that majority of people aren't giving a legitimate answer for hating it though - only that it's boring, unrealistic, and gloomy. Which fine, these could be legitimate answers if they were elaborated on, i.e. why a person thinks it's boring, unrealistic, and gloomy (because I don't think it's any of these things), but there are few willing to do so, which is very frustrating for those of us who like it and are being brought down by the haters.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I stopped after episode 4, not a single damn thing was happening.. but good for them. I still won't watch it unless it goes on a few seasons and I hear it actually has a plotline again.
Flag
Great news!! Im weirdly attracted to this show!
Flag
Me too! So weird. :)
Flag
jesus, it's so bad i almost consulted a psychologist yesterday
Flag
update, consulted a psychologist, she couldn't get past the trailer.
Flag
Huzah! Huzah!

HBO proving once again why they dominate the TV landscape. They put out what they want and they put out quality. If viewers don't like or don't understand their product, they're free to go somewhere else...they're not going to pander their lineup.
Flag
Excellent, maybe the best Show of 2014!
Flag
Not surprising... HBO isn't that focused on ratings and they tend to not pull the plug THAT quickly on stuff.

Now if this was a regular broadcast network then I might be surprised.
Flag
Oh No ! How are the ratings by the way?
Flag
Somehow the ratings are climbing.
I honestly don't understand the attraction.
Flag
I take this as good news. I originally had no interest in the show, but tuned in for the 1st episode & found it surprisingly compelling ever since
Flag
What he said!
Flag
I felt the same when I start watch it,but You will love it more when you keep watch it and when the story get more complex,, great news
Flag
Follow this Show
Members