A The Leftovers Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on HBO

The Leftovers S01E04: "B.J. and the A.C."

After Kevin chucked Baby Jesus out of his truck and onto the side of the road like a smoldering cigarette butt, I found myself in the headspace of the citizens of Mapleton. "Why are we here?" The troubled 98 percent of the world that wasn't taken away the fateful day that's the basis for The Leftovers have a good reason to ask that question. Their entire lives were forever changed when their loved ones poofed out of existence, perhaps onto a better life, for reasons that will probably never be known. 

Despite not being trapped in that same awful reality, we have just as good a reason to ask the same question. Why are we here? Why are we still watching The Leftovers? Four hours into the intriguing and frustrating drama, I still don't have an answer. And guess what! That's a problem. 

TV.com's 4-Episode Test™ was designed to give a show enough time to establish its premise, get over some rough patches, and give viewers an idea of where the series was going as a whole. It's also meant to be a pass/fail test, meaning after four episodes, we should know if we're in or not. For the purposes of consistency and completion, I'm going to force myself to grade it, but I kind of want to rubber stamp The Leftovers' report card with a fat "Incomplete," because I still don't know what it's really about or where it's going to go. But since you're not here to watch me dodge a simple yes-or-no question, I'm gonna have to give this a fail.

There's a lot of great television out there, which means there's a lot of competition for your eyeballs. It also means there's a lot of innovation and risks being taken with new series, which is great for television as a whole. But certain basic foundations of television shouldn't be messed with, and The Leftovers is appears set on rewriting the rules of TV. The Leftovers has no tangible plot. The show isn't interested in answering the question of what happened, it doesn't present any understandable conflict, and its characters have no goals. What am I supposed to be watching for here? Because so far I'm just waiting for something to happen. 

As boring and constrictive as it sounds, television dramas require plot and theme. Plot is what we watch on the surface, theme is the sneaky lesson we accidentally learn. We watched Breaking Bad to see how far Walter White would go as a drug kingpin, but we learned about morality and the dangers of being consumed by personal drive. What are we watching The Leftovers for? To see people act out because their cousin winked out of the universe? What have we learned from The Leftovers? That it sucks to live in a world where millions disappeared without any reason and that toasters can be evil bagel stealers? The theme-heavy The Leftovers probably worked better as a book, but as a television series, it's failing. The frustrating part of all this is The Leftovers has so much potential.

That disappointing truth was evident in "B.J. and the A.C.," another chapter examining the crappy existence of Mapletonians without giving us anything more to get a grip on. We know the series is mostly about the Garvey family, but Kevin's quest to replace Baby Jesus from a nativity scene was either way above my head or pretentious hot air that thought it was a lot smarter than it was. The question of whether Kevin is crazy or not is the closest The Leftovers has come to real story, but it hasn't really been addressed since the first episode. Laurie should be a main source of conflict for Kevin and the family, but she's so darned gone and blank from joining the Guilty Remnant that her role as mother in the family was never established for us so we don't miss her. Tom playing guardian to Huggy Wayne's Asian plaything is hard to care about without any connection to the other stories or any idea of who/what Wayne is. If my friend was Tom and behaving this way, I'd have no problem setting up an intervention and leading him to the loony bin. Jill, sheesh, where do we start with Jill? Or any of the awful teens in this show? They sit around acting like fuck ups and apparently have no problem burying a dead dog they find in the back of a trunk or stretching their scrotums over doll heads. 

A lot of The Leftovers' problems would be easier to overlook if the characters were likable or relatable. But is there any character on the show that you feel a connection with? Anyone that feels like a hero? Anyone you love to hate? They're all in that terrible area of uninteresting either way. Except for Reverend Matt, who got his own episode last week, and is therefore the default best character in the show. But by now I should have some feelings about Kevin Garvey since he's the main character, and I feel nothing. 

Like many of you, I've stuck around to see where this show goes, but through four episodes, it just doesn't seem like it's going anywhere except to the pits of despair and overwrought dream sequences. I don't hate the show, but I also know I don't like it yet, and that's the most confusing and annoying attitude to have towards a series. So while The Leftovers probably deserves an "incomplete" on the 4-Episode Test™, by virtue of being incomplete, it gets a fail. I'll still check in with it when I have time, and I'll leave it up to you guys and gals who stick with it to tell me when it's safe to tune in again. 

LEFTOVER THOUGHTS

– What were all those bodies in the road?

– Why did Tom put a bullseye on his forehead and on Christina's forehead? 

– What is the point of Meg (Liv Tyler) in this show? 

– Who is that half-naked guy, and why did his dream come true?

– Why did Tom's brakes not work?

– What's with the odd sense of time in the show?

– Why does every other word have to be "Fuck"?

– What is up with these episode titles?

– Why are we still watching this?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/6/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

163 Comments
Comments (163)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The White Creepers just went into people's homes and removed all their photos... that is breaking-and-entering and it gives me even more reason to want to slap them all silly.
Flag
Those who dislike the show for reasons such as "it has no plot" or "my questions aren't being answered" are clearly simple minded folk who prefer to have everything laid out neatly for them so they don't have to think about it. Thinking actually requires some effort, and most of time intelligence. They should stick to CSI or similar programs that explain every detail and wrap it all up nicely with a bow at the end. The Leftovers is not for them. The Leftovers is a new concept all together in TV programming. It leaves things unexplained... on purpose. It gives the viewers something to think about. Then, the next episode may answer some of those questions, but at the same time it creates a dozen more. One thing The Leftovers does is entertain me like no program has before. I am glued to that TV from the moment it starts until it's over. Part of the reason for that is the amazing talent by ALL of the cast. A great bunch of actors. And of course I have questions I want answered, like Who is Wayne & how does he do what he does (as in take people's pain away)? And what's so important about these unborn children of his? What is the GR and why do they need to smoke all time? What are they writing in their notepads? Oh, and in Episode 4 a truck dumped a load of dead bodies onto the highway. They seemed to be headed to Funeral Homes across the country. What's up with that? Anyway, you see what I mean? I have tons of questions but I still love the show and I'll continue watch it. I hope at some point my questions are answered, but it's not a deal breaker. In real life, are all your questions answered?
More+
Flag
Tim said

But since you're not here to watch me dodge a simple yes-or-no question, I'm gonna have to give this a fail.

Tim, you are going insane. This is a clear pass. It's great TV that is breaking the rules in a way that shows us that it knows them.
Flag
I won't comment on the no plot thing but I find this show fascinating. Almost every episode I end it with a "what the fuck?" This show is insane and I absolutely love it.
Flag
How many of you watched on a tablet/phone or with headphones? This show is beautifully crafted. The sound is amazing.. often times you get little nuggets of information if you listen closely enough. There is a wealth of knowledge in news broadcasts, songs, radio broadcasts you can kind of hear but not quite make out... they did this on purpose! Each episode is meant to be watched, watched again, blogged about, podcasted about.... simply to drive us nuts? No! It's to put us on an adult scavenger hunt, where you need to find all the little clues along the way as to what the plot of the show is. This is a show that causes us to speak up and discuss religious, scientific, and political ideas without it having to be a show specifically about these things. It uses religious allegory to tell the story, and if you're not versed in the Bible, well then pick one up or use Google to find out what it says! (A lot of people in our country need to read it, especially if they want to quote it.) Everything has meaning. These characters are all searching for meaning after an implausible event, but hey - a large chunk of our current world population believes strongly that event is going to happen some day. In this show, it did. Now we have to determine: are there good guys/bad guys? If so, who are they? What are their motives? How are they connected? Or, are we all both good/bad guys, and whether we are courageous enough to speak up and say something (or not say something) about the craziness going on in the world today.... They are leaving it up to us to find the answers. How boring a show it would be if they told us all the answers... where's the fun in that? We should be searching for meaning just as they are. I for one am, and I'm enjoying every moment. So suck it naysayers. This show is what Lost could have been - had Lost been on HBO.
More+
Flag
Yep, agree with shawnsuther. Minus the stuff about the bible I completely agree with erinlampa also. And a great post.
Flag
With the exception of the stuff about the Bible, I utterly agree with you. It would seem that you're the only other person here with any patience, and can appreciate a "slow burn".
This show is absolutely one of the best examples of the craft currently on TV right now, clever, subtle, thoughtful, ponderous, challenging. If you think this "doesn't have a plot", or "isn't about anything", you're not paying attention. This is not a sitcom, it's not "24", it's not made for "average viewer" I would speculate. The people calling it pretentious have got it right, in a way. This is art, folks, more that entertainment.
Flag
woof, took them 6 episodes to reach an average one. after 5 of them, the 6th about Nora Durst felt like a completely different show.
Flag
please. Guys. This show is NOT smart. Lost was just a lot of random inspirations. Prometheus was a complete disaster. This show is all fake posturing.
Flag
"The Leftovers has no tangible plot. The show isn't interested in answering the question of what happened, it doesn't present any understandable conflict, and its characters have no goals. What am I supposed to be watching for here?"

This is a simplistic and alas very american way to regard films or TV-series, and there will never be any development, unless people stop requiring crutches like a conflict or a tangible plot.
Flag
"This is a simplistic and alas very american way to regard films or TV-series, and there will never be any development, unless people stop requiring crutches like a conflict or a tangible plot."

Sorry, but there has to be something to keep a viewer interested. I'm not American, but I still require some reason to watch a dozen hours of content.
If you have no plot and no conflicts, then give me interesting characters that interact in interesting ways.
So far the show has been lots of artsy-wankerish pondering about nothing. That's fine in a 90-minutes independent movie, or an experimental play, but it doesn't support 10+ hours of a TV-show.
So far I'd say the producers and writers probably just locked themselves into a room for a couple weeks and circlejerked while congratulating themselves on how fabulously deep and meaningful they are.
Flag
There is something. And it is very very good. It is just not the normal something.
Flag
I haven't seen The Leftovers and my point was of course more general. That it is supremely stupid to judge a work of art based on "plot" or even worse, central conflict theory. Art is not necessarily about storytelling
Flag
I must say. I'm pretty angry with this show, and with myself. With myself because when I first heard of the show, I thought that most of humanity has disappeared and only a few were left behind, and that got me really excited because I thought it could make for some seriously fun and interesting plot things to happen.

But the other way round? I'm sorry but, so what? What we have now is an attempt at realistic drama in an utterly implausible scenario. Again, so what? Why should anyone care?

I mean, seriously, does Real Life not have potential enough for all kinds of drama? Just one possible one: A school bus driver has an accident, and many children die. What will their parents do? How do they cope?

Essentially, I believe, one could make the EXACT SAME SHOW with that as premise.
Because the loss of someone you love dearly has so much more impact on someone's live than the fact that the reason for this loss is inexplicable, that introducing the latter element is bordering on being pointless. It is just a tiny, little thing, a tiny, little insult added to the terrible injury, so to speak.

As it is, I cannot find any reason to watch it.
More+
Flag
Have you ever watched a snail slowly crawl across the sidewalk and wondered what its thinking and doing. And after you have watched it long enough, you say f**k it and go get the salt shaker and torture it to death for the hell of it. I think I am going to start looking for the TV salt shaker very soon.
Flag
Totally. But will see all of this season. Probably wont have another, if so, wont be there to watch.
Flag
I like this show. True, I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be about but the acting is great and the drama is good, as to be expected from HBO. I definitely shed a tear during the divorce papers scene. It was so intense how Laurie wouldn't speak and Tom just had to yell and get nothing back.

It is weird, but sometimes weird is good. I'm so tired of seeing the same types of shows these days. A whole word full of people who have lost their families seems like an interesting dynamic. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Flag
I also gave this show the "4 episode" test but I'm outta here! I'm with Tim...I need to know what the plot is, where it "might" be going, a character to like/dislike...SOMETHING! This show gives me nothing but a headache; it's hard to watch. I have a lot of tolerance for TV shows, but can' tolerate this one any longer!
Flag
Wow I just read the plot synopsis for each of the characters and all I can say is how did this crap get published? Wish I hadn't wasted four episodes on this garbage. Seriously nothing has happened in four episodes and out of all of the characters there isn't one that I care for. Even the freaking Titles for this show are triply and weird. Goodbye Leftovers you will not be missed.
Flag
This review is spot on. After watching this fourth episode, I had two thoughts:

1.) Four episodes in and I'm still waiting for The Leftovers to become less boring.

2.) I relate to none of these characters. That's a bad sign for the show, right?

I'll probably keep watching, but something better stick out fast other than naked-from-the-waist-down crazies ranting about dreams.
----------------

As for the Leftover Thoughts:

These are the life replicas that are being sold to families of those who've lost people in order that they may wake, bury them and find some emotional closure.

– Why did Tom put a bullseye on his forehead and on Christina's forehead?
They're masquerading as members of that cult, hiding in plain sight. Similar to how the homeless are often easily dismissed, they will now be ignored and go unnoticed by the general populace. Therefore drawing no attention to themselves.

– What is the point of Meg (Liv Tyler) in this show?
So that the series can boast to have its own "A-List" celebrity. See Malkovich's "Crossbones," McConaughey/Harrelson's "True Detective."

– Who is that half-naked guy, and why did his dream come true?
"KEEP TUNING IN; ALL SHALL BE REVEALED!!!!!" - The Leftovers producers

– Why did Tom's brakes not work?
He blasphemed. The car went completely dead immediately after he cursed Jesus.

– What's with the odd sense of time in the show?
That's your boredom over nothing ever happening screwing with you.

– Why does every other word have to be "Fuck"?
Because premium cable.

– What is up with these episode titles?
You didn't get "Baby Jesus and the Anti-Christ"?

– Why are we still watching this?
Because as George Costanza explains...

"The show is about NOTHING..."
"You read on the show..."
"There's no stories..."
"And it's on TV!"

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOSlsNz5I8

More+
Flag
I know the guys who wrote Lost are writing this and it shows I am giving this show a couple of more to interest me and then it gets Left off my list
Flag
Not sure why I'm watching this show either, except Chris Zylka, there isn't much else on, and the premise is interesting. But that's how the book was too, just kind of meandering around an interesting idea but nothing really happens. I felt ripped off when the book ended with zero plot development, and I suspect I'll feel the same way about the show.
Flag
Even though the show is awesome. Can you tell me is it based on some kind of truth?
Flag
My boyfriend and I are truly trying to give this show a chance, but please, give us something...anything..to hold on to! I haven't wanted a "Laurie" to die so bad on a series, since "Lori" on The Walking Dead.
Flag
"Jill dud you steal baby Jesus?" :)
Flag
I just read the plot synopsis for the book, and if that's what we're looking forward to over the next however many weeks than I am bummed I spent even THIS much time on this show.
Flag
i watch, like the Dome coz nothing else is on, plain and simple!
Flag
– Fake for burials
– Cult symbol
– For talking
– To create drama and split the two up
– Because he cursed Jesus
– That too shall pass
– HBO
– Old crappy jokes
– Inquiring minds want to know
Flag

There was a commercial on the television in last week's episode advertising Loved Ones, a service that takes the likeness of a person who Departed and makes a life-size doll for the family to bury...for an exorbitant price. The truck that tipped over was carrying a fresh shipment of Loved Ones.

As for the rest of your questions, NO FUCKING CLUE. This show is an amorphous mess. (Oh, also, it was Kevin's brakes, not Tom's.)
Flag
I'm not ready to give up on this show yet. Other than Sunday night, there really isn't much on TV that interests me right now. At least I can watch The Leftovers almost any night of the week, since it repeats so frequently.
Flag
*Spoilers Alert*

-Tom develops a relationship with Nora but it doesnt work, Nora ends up leaving town

-Cristine thinks she is carrying the Son of God (Holy Wayne) . After delivering the baby, she learns that Wayne was a fake! And she leaves the baby to Tom. Which then returns to town with the Baby.

-Julie becomes best friend with Meg, but the GR has a rule that if two members gets attatched one has to kill the other one. Megs kills herself

-Jill decides to stop being friends with Aimee and ends up deciding to date one of the twins.

Now there is no supernatural aspect in the book, But of course Damon Always wants to put crazy mystery even if theres not....

Theres no imaginary friends, crazy dogs, missing bagels, random car shutting down or baby jesus. Its funny that the most interesting character in the show is almost no one on the book. (Reverend)
Flag
Thank you! Now I can stop watching this weird show without regret!
Flag
I meant Kevin develops a relationshop with Nora***
Flag
I don't remember wasting another 4 hours of my life on something as meaningless as this show.
Flag
You are spot on with this review. I keep waiting for the "aha" moment but not one of the episodes did it for me. I keep trying to dodge these type of mystery or unknown type of series in fear that I will love it as I did LOST only to be disappointed a few seasons into it and totally deflated with the series finale. Anyway, there is still hope I guess but not for too long.
Flag
I guess we know which one of the two behind LOST came up with the mysterious parts which had little payoff. (And I'm one of the guys who loves the finale, but that final season had so many exposition dumps.)
Flag
I was going to go through your list of questions and answer them, but others have already done a good job. I will answer one that people skipped, and others complained about... Why does every other word have to be "Fuck"? I'm sorry Ned Flanders, what did you say last time you stubbed your toe? I don't think it was "Yaaaaay"!!!... People are angry. In the real world angry people get angry, they don't get G rated (under the dome). Grow up and deal, its in the dictionary *ffs* (oops, me angry?).
Flag
I am starting to have a big problem with the whole premise of this show. It's been three years since the big poof and everyone seems to be getting more sad, depressed, and angry. But in reality when "disasters" like this happen, people slowly get over it and move on. I am sure we all remember what it was like after 9/11 or the tsunami in 2004 or even the the Boston Marathon bombing just a year ago. However as time passed, things went back to normal. We don't have near the pain in our hearts that we did back then. If something like this 2% disappearance happened for real, after three years groups like the Guilty Remnant would be losing steam rather than picking up momentum.

As for this episode, I was disappointed that my favorite characters/storylines were completely absent: Christopher Eccleston as Reverend Matt and Michael Gaston as the is-he-real-or-a-figment-of-Kevin's-imagination dog killer.
Flag
People would not be over it by now. 124 million people is way more than 9/11, the Boston bombings, or even the Holocaust. And if the numbers are not enough to make it impactful, the sheer madness of it. 124 million people disappeared. No one knows where. Was it God? Was it aliens? Are they coming back? Can we move on? Are we next? Are we unworthy? People die all the time, that is why we get over tragedies. But 124 million people disappearing without a trace at the same exact time, with no explanation or evidence, that has never happened. It would be mind numbing.
Flag
This was the thing I couldn't understand in the first episode, why was everyone so sad, if this was something that was going on regularly, a random 2% of the population would disappear then I could understand why everyong would be down, waiting for their turn.

But a one off event, most of us would soon have forgotten about it and gotten on with our lives.
Flag
Hit the nail on the head with this review. This show is so unbelievably confrustrating... It makes me want to swaddle myself in white, stop talking, and just be a major bummer to everyone around me. Maybe that's the point, and it's just so meta we can't even comprehend it. Although it does smell an awful lot like pretension.
Flag

i miss fringe.

i get it. lindelost likes making shows that make people think. but this is getting truly frustrating.

which means this show is going to be cancelled...

why?? because there are other shows to watch. maybe not as smart with as great a cast... but definitely less frustrating. which means we will wait for the dvd to come out and then just watch this show season by season. which means low ratings = cancelled show.

show runners are like... "no he won't.. the fear of spoilers will bring him back"

this is the first time in my life where i actually want spoilers... just so i can have some sort of glimmer of hope that it won't be frustrating forever. i mean i scrolled down to comments to see if anyone thats read the books had spoilers... apparently the book hasn't answered anything yet either. eish.

anyway 4 episode test works for me. i'm gonna wait till the seasons done to watch the rest.

Flag
There are no answers in the book for the same reason there aren't any on the show: the show's expressly not about that and is about the characters, which would be fine if I could latch on to anyone beyond the reverend and the chief. I hate all these characters, the daughter most of all.
Flag
– What were all those bodies in the road? They were 'rent-a-bodies' (more like buy-a-body, can't return them I'd guess) for substitute funerals for those that were taken on 10-14.
– Why did Tom put a bullseye on his forehead and on Christina's forehead? Like others said, to hide in plain sight.
– What is the point of Meg (Liv Tyler) in this show? To give a voice and some inside views to the GR? Also, it's Liv Tyler. Star power for the show?
– Who is that half-naked guy, and why did his dream come true? A disturbed profit type that dreams the future? Knows Christine is carrying the antichrist from his dream?
– Why did Tom's brakes not work? The whole care shut down just as he blasphemed.
– What's with the odd sense of time in the show? To keep things off kilter?
– Why does every other word have to be "Fuck"? It doesn't. And cheapens the show I think. Seems to be that 'hard profanity = street cred' in Hollywood now a days. Disappointing. And really unnecessary.
– What is up with these episode titles? Baby Jesus and the antichrist.
– Why are we still watching this? It does have major potential but it is taking way too long for things to come into focus.

I think the show is as it seemed to everyone from the onset.

All about the end times.

It all starts with the Rapture, just like in The Bible.

Then, the antichrist appears. Just like in The Bible.

Its pretty clear at this point that the antichrist is Wayne and Christine's baby. Wayne is either the devil himself, a demon, or just a satan worshiper/agent of satan that was chosen by the devil. Not sure yet.

Just my take on things. Fun to try to figure it out as it goes along though, no?
More+
Flag
literal...
Flag
I dont know where this show is going 2 but i trully like it...it'something we have never seen b4!plus this ep.had a naked guy speaking greek,dead bodies,and we saw cops daughter keeping her faith instead of her father who lost his...that was the whole thing with baby jesus...
Flag
All though the show has not yet developed a clear premise and for most part it does not have any relatable characters it is still somehow intriguing.Most of the characters are almost unlikable,but I feel I could warm up to the priest and his sister Nora.There seems to be something here and I'll ride it out for 10 episodes.
Flag
Just enjoy the ride fellas...
Flag
You're asking the wrong question. It's not what happened or why it happened...who cares? The question the show is answering is what these people are doing in the aftermath and why? Why because whether we're talking about religion, science or the supernatural...friends and family members disappearing off the face of the earth is going to f*ck A LOT OF PEOPLE UP! And that's what we're seeing.

This isn't a "paint by numbers" series and THANK GOD because there are way too many of those shows that are dumbed down to explain everything to the viewing audience like they're morons.

Then along comes the comparison to Breaking Bad, which IMO is one of the most overrated shows ever. No, The Leftovers isn't as simplistic and formulaic as Breaking Bad and again, that's a good thing. If there's a comparison to be made, it's to Oz.

This is a series about people who are fatally broken trying to survive in a world they barely understand, put there for reasons that are quite likely completely unjust. The people in white, the Reverend, Kevin Garvey, Adebisi, Kareem Said, Vern Schillinger, Tobias Beecher...these aren't heroes or villains. What they all are are victims and perpetrators. They inflict great pain on those around them, mostly because great pain was inflicted upon them and that's all they know. Four episodes into Oz, nobody had any idea as to how complex each of those characters were. How good they could be or how straight up evil. If that were all laid out in 4 hours, what's the point of watching the show when you've got it all figured out already.

The fact that I have next to no specifics on each character's back story makes them all the more intriguing. Wives and mothers who abandoned their families. A father struggling to keep his together. Children looking for their own identities after losing the most important people in their lives for no reason. And on, and on, and on. We already know WHY. I far more interested in the HOW these people cope and move on in the aftermath of a devastating loss.
More+
Flag
By the 4th episode we should have had a tiny answer about at least ONE thing... But no! They keep piling up "mysteries" which, as they pile more and more, make it more difficult to come out with an interesting answer. Plus, the "in between" stories are so dumb and borring...

I'm sure those guys are just writing stuff and they have absolutely no idea themselves where this will end. They just hope to keep people interested tuned in for as long as possible in hope of answers which they will never get.

I'm off.
Flag
I can't figure this show out at all but I do know that I can't stop watching until I know what the leader of the guilty remnant's end game is. I think they were taking the pictures of all the ppl who went missing, maybe what she meant by 'there is no family'.
I also need to know what's so special with Christine (Creepy Waynes baby momma). The bulls eye comes from the weird ppl they saw at the shelter before she got beat up, a guy said it was so God could find them so I guess they believe that it was the reckoning that happened to the 2%. and I think it was great disguise because ppl tend not to make eye contact with whack jobs who preach about the reckoning.
I agree that the reverend is the best character on it but even he bugs me, his episode did keep me on the edge of my seat ( I was screaming at him to lock his car doors!) I do like Justin's character, he seems really sad and lost and I think him and the chick who lost her whole family are def gonna hook up!
I'm hoping Meg ends up figuring out what is going on with the GR and then tells us... or at least the sheriff.
More+
Flag
I'm still undecided about this show but I have to say I've heard now a few times about the language on the show and I swear I just don't notice it all. Perhaps it's just where I grew up but I pay no heed to the word 'fuck' as it's just a bit boring when you can phrases like flaming gobshite and galloping thundercunt and if you don't like someone - may the cat eat you and the devil eat the cat.
Flag
baby jesus and the atheist cop?

Flag
Oh and what the hell was up w/the Guilty Remnant douchebags sneaking into people's homes and taking their photos. I hate their hubris and how arrogantly they impose their ridiculous beliefs onto everyone else. On the surface they seem so harmless, but they're really just trying to get everyone to do as they do. At least they give me a strong emotional reaction of pure hatred.

Flag
Were those "bodies" dummies that were the replicas of the poofed? Thats kind of what I thought.

I think Tom thought that the best way to hide was to hide in plain sight. They were looking for him before because they thought that he'd battered her, but they were looking for someone w/shoes. Not a great idea, but it seemed to be effective. And did she get those bruises from that crazy guy with no pants? I didn't seem to see that he effectively hit her in the middle. I thought that he went for her throat.

Meg? No freakin' idea. So far it seems to be an intermediary between those that don't speak and those that do. To read aloud and break up the irritating effects of having to read those silent people's chicken scratch. 'Cause boy is that irritating. Have I mentioned how much they freakin' irk me. I just can't stand them.

Maybe he has a little bit of whatever Kevin and his father have. They've got the shining I suppose. LOL

Maybe he imagined his brakes not working, much like he imagined that whole other dude. Or maybe he (or that other dude) did something to them.

Yes, this episode felt odd, pointless, and kind of meandering with random events. I don't know if I didn't get it or what.

I personally don't think they use Fuck too much or anything. I think the swearing is pretty much on par with much of premium cable television. But then again I watch a lot of British where they swear a lot. So I guess it just doesn' t bother me. It seems pretty organic given the characters, their high emotions, and their situations.

Yeah, I was wondering about that title? What's the AC? I thought it was going to have something to do with Air Conditioning, as strange as that sounds, but this show is pretty strange. Or maybe Atlantic City, but it seemed to have no discernible logica purpose, except for sheer strangeness.

I think much like you Tim, I am waiting for something to happen, waiting for a plot, theme, character development, or direction of some kind. It's such an interesting premise and such a potentially interesting bunch of characters. But I also feel that the characters haven't been developed to such a degree that I really care about them all that much. But I do love (is she the mayor?) She's feisty and funny. I do sort of like Kevin. I really felt sympathetic toward him when his wife came back with Meg as her 'voice'. That irritated me so much. And yes even though he did weird and strange and violent things, I even sort of appreciate Matt. Again I really wanted them to maybe continue in that vein. As we see more background, gain understanding of, and learn about these characters, we can become more emotionally invested.

More+
Flag
I'm out. I found the show boring, lacking rhythm and interesting characters.

The Lindelof trademark works for and against the show. After the Lost debacle the only way I was giving this a chance was if the characters and the story were compelling enough. That wasn't the case, so no way I am going to invest more time when I know from the beginning that I won't probably like where this is going to end.
Flag
My patience is running out. I'm giving The Leftovers two more episodes. If the writers don't start to explain things - I'm out.
Flag
Love it!

"but I kind of want to rubber stamp The Leftovers' report card with a fat "Incomplete," because I still don't know what it's really about or where it's going to go."

Yeah, well, if you knew what it's about and where it's going to go, what would be the point in watching it?

I'm just relieved to have something to be amazed by on TV and think of possible explanations (or just watch and wait), instead of being bored to tears by all the predictable cookie cutter shows out there. It's refreshing. The acting is great. Love Justin's acting too.

Big fat PASS for me, yay Leftovers :)
Flag
Ok this is just getting moronic. I would gladly trade these people for those stuck Under The Dome in a heartbeat. Because at least their idiocy is hilarious. This is just dumb pretending to be smart.

The GR is the worst aspect of the story, actually the interaction between the chief and the GR is stupid because despite them committing a class D felony in breaking into people's homes to steal their pictures, I am willing to bet that the Chief and the Moron Mayor in charge aren't going to do anything about it. NY state slaw, breaking into a house with the intent to commit a crime is a FELONY, up to 7 years. SO arrest them, arrest Patty for conspiring to commit a felony and solve the problem very easily and we can have a better show to see if they can remain quiet with a corrections officers knee on their back. But they aren't going to do anything about it because one that would take intelligence on the characters and the writers part, and they need the stupidity to force the story (if there was one) forward.

They need to stop with the whole Chief might be crazy thing. Firstly we already know he isn't, we know that he wasn't the only person shooting the dogs. That would have been easily figured out. And likely someone, probably the GR since they have no problem committing crimes did something to his car. But we are going to continue to play with this silly plot for likely the whole season.

At this point the only thing interesting to me is how Laurie and the chief got married. Clearly she is at least 10 to 15 years older than he is. And granted some guys like that, but that is a fair jump.

Jill really isn't interesting anymore, there is no true nihilism there, it is just passive aggressiveness pretending to be nihilism. I do still like Aimee though, she is good for laughs.

As for the questions.

1. The bodies were facsimiles for people to bury because they still haven't gotten over the fact that their family member is gone after three freaking years. Which is psychologically unhealthy and loads of other things mostly just in this world the people are giant wussies.

2. Social Camouflage. No one pays attention to you if they think you are a moron with no shoes.

3.Nothing, just like the rest of the show.

4. The chief's? Likely because the GR is trying to instigate him.

5. That is a good question. No idea, likely the writers and runners are doing it to attempt to make up for their lack of plot and likable characters.

6. Well it really has nothing else going for it to make it worthwhile. There is no sex, there is no plot, but darn it they have to make it compelling and swear words are compelling, right?

7. It is called rectal naming.

8. No freaking idea. Maybe to see how dumb they can go? For me it is to see if it can be worse than UTD. And it is pretty close, at least UTD is funny stupid.
More+
Flag
Hahahahaha... it's killin' me that you're still comparing the two shows.
Flag
Because it is the same exact show.

A. It revolves around a small town and the residents of their respective towns.
B. They are responding to a situation (poorly) of which they can't control.
C. None of them involved have a lick of intelligence to speak of in order to better their situation in any significant way.
D. Because of this they will continue to do the same unsuccessful things in response to their respective situations and will never truly be able to navigate their world.

I can almost forgive UTD because it has been only 2 weeks since the dome appeared, the Dome appears somewhat sentient and is controlling things. For the Leftovers, it has been three freaking years. Three. And most of the town didn't lose anyone. Their reaction is childlike.

As we agreed upon earlier, just because The Leftovers is after better and is shot better, doesn't mean it is any different.
Flag
There is NO WAY that you can accurately make all of these assumptions about a show that has aired FOUR TIMES! That is the literal definition of PRESUMPTUOUS. C'mon!
Flag
Well only one is really an assumption, I assume that they are going to continue to do what they do. But that assumption is based on observation and the cursory knowledge of the characters that the show presents to us. A. is accurate. B is accurate, though poorly is a judgement. C. Is an assessment based on how they are interacting with their environment and their overall decision making skills. D. Is the assumption.

In four episodes we have covered at least 2 months, likely more since episode one was likely in the summer or early fall and now they are in December. Contrasted with UTD which they state has only been a couple weeks, albeit a busy couple of weeks.

It is also based on how the show portrays them. Is the chief crazy and is he shooting dogs by himself or with an actual friend? What do the show characters do in order to assess the validity of his statements? They hem and hah and look at him sideways rather than say, well we looked at the bullets chief and some were fired from your weapon and some were fired from an unknown rifle. Do you have a rifle like this? No. Ok, then you are sane and we need to find this guy. Did they interview the daughter to see if she has met her dad's new friend? She did, ok then he is sane.

And keep in mind they are three years on from the event. So that means they have evolved to this point in their deductive skills. If they are presently at this point, then they haven't evolved much and are likely to continue. They should be able to determine whether people are acting weird because they are dealing poorly with reality since the event or if they are being genuine. Same thing with the Mayor and not addressing the GR, same thing with the girl and the reverend and the whole lot of them. The only one that has really adapted to anything is Tommy with his brand of social camouflage.

Which leads me to my theory that this show is written just a poorly as UTD. UTD is just more fun and the characters have a stimulus or well various stimuli with the dome to respond to, whereas The Leftovers are still responding to the event and are just bad at the stages of grief. This isn't the first time a portion of the population has died or is gone, this isn't even the first time people have had to deal with missing people. There are still MIAs from Vietnam and even WW2. Psychologically speaking, these people in this town are stunted. And nothing that I have seen show me that they are going to break out of that anytime in the near future.
More +
Flag
I guess the title stands for Baby Jesus and the antichrist.
Flag
I checked out after 2 episodes. Sorry, WAY too slow and boring. No real plot, no interesting stuff happening, nothing really weird occurring except for the meanderings of mentally deranged characters.

But it's from Lindelof, so after 6 seasons we'll probably discover that the 98% are really the ones who vanished and they were in some sort of purgatory all along... :-) Except that in Lost, at least there WAS a plot, INTERESTING crazy things happened, and there was suspense from one episode to the next... you WANTED to find out what was going on. Not so much here. Actually, I can't see this series being renewed or even airing all its episodes.

Like you, Tim, I really do not care what happens to any of these bland, crazy, deranged characters.

P.S., I really want to see the return of Siberia. Now there's a show with all the elements that are missing in The Leftovers!
Flag

I think the bodies were explained in the last episode. // Tommy put a bullseye on his forehead because the hospital was filled with members of that bullseye cult. Police/security were looking for him because they thought he abused Christina. Once he put the bullseye on his forehead, that's all they saw--another cult member. He did the same for Christina so they could slip out, "invisible". // The point of Liv's character is that she was ostensibly going to be subsumed into the cult by Laurie, but instead weeks have past and Liv seems to be deconverting Laurie more than anything else. Liv's character is still talking, while Laurie is secretly watching her old house at night and coveting presents from her old life (the lighter is a symbol on several levels). Laurie is trying to teach Liv that life is pointless, but it seems that Laurie is slipping away from the pointlessness toward meaning (while still wanting things to be pointless, perhaps simply so she doesn't have to feel the loss). // The half-naked guy seemed to be crazy. We don't know if his dream came true or not. Tommy suggests that Christina told the naked man about her baby, and that is what triggered the crazy man's outburst. At this point, we don't know. // Kevin's electrical system suddenly failed. This reminds us that we can die randomly at any time for basically no reason. One may also note what Kevin said right at that moment, and how that may have motivated his character in this episode. // The odd sense of time is related to how one deals with loss and grief; the story is using it to inform that sensibility, but over all they seem to be covering main events over a week or two's time during a single episode. // I haven't noticed every other word being fuck in this show. // The episode titles connect directly to the main themes of the episode (that's what titles are supposed to do). // I'm still watching this because it is very smart (for television). It's very risky to center a show on the theme of death in a country that spends most of its time ignoring or denying death in every way possible. A famous Greek once said that the unexamined life is not worth living. It's very hard to examine life when death defines life, and so many of us refuse to examine death in that context.

When you gaze into the eyes of a hollow, plastic baby Jesus, the hollowness gazes back into you.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members