The Listener

CTV (ended 2014)

karlmeszaros

The Listener Fan Reviews (39)

• needs direction

Watched 2 episides. Stories are good. Dynamic between the paramedics is good. Det marks is difficult to watch, very flat,one dimensional, surprised by this casting choice.
  • Gone down the drain

I agree with the majority opinion here. The series started out great. The two best friends riding in the ambulance together; saving lives, the mentor who helped Toby manage his power and guided him, Toby's constant desire to find out more about his past his mother and his brother, Frank who shows up in the end to reveal part of Toby's past to him, the mysterious man who tries to kill Toby.

What happened to that story line? There was so much that they could have done with it. Honestly i think they shouldn't have killed Detective Marks.

I hated the second season. There was no reason for Toby to have gotten in with the IIB telling everyone his secrets. He could have continued with Becker or maybe tried to work with him, work out their differences, explain why Marks took his help on her cases.

Then they decided that Toby doesn't need his mentor anymore. Its like Ray dropped dead or something.

I hate the fact that they broke up the Toby-Oz duo at the work place. Its become one of those cop shows where they use unusual consultants like in Castle and The Mentalist. I liked it better when Toby went out on his own and got things done. I don't completely hate the show or what they are doing with the show. I just wish Toby could find some time between the IIB and the EMS to look for his long lost family.

This show started great and was doing good till someone took a huge dump on it in the second season and now it continues to be a huge steaming pile. They should just stop torturing us. At lease make a book that says what happened to Toby's mom. The suspense is killing me and Toby's sudden indifference to the fact is pissing me off.

I still watch it with the hopes that Toby will remember that he was once William who had a mother and a brother.
  • The Wonderful Wizard named Oz!

Getting caught up on season 4. Oz isgetting sexier and sexier each episode!

Just had to put that out there.
  • Great cast but too episodic

I really want to love this show as it features a terrific cast but since abandoning the sci-fi element in the first season it has become a soulless episodic procedural. Toby's outlook on his abilities is too pragmatic and it feels entirely inauthentic that he would abandon his search for his family. The backbone of the show has always been Toby and Oz's friendship but since the procedural element has grown all consuming Oz doesn't fit in any longer and features as no more than a afterthought. It is such a shame that a once gripping and unique show has been utterly ruined by clueless and unimaginative writing.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one...

The first season was definitely THE BEST. There's no question. What kind od a serious tv production just ignores such a CLIFFHANGER. It's totally unfair towards the fans . I don't get it' And Tob didn't ever try to do sth and he works for IIB. Stupid. It just makes me mad.

What about all those other people who were after him, where is his mother, where are Frank and Ray. And why did they kill Victor Cloonie? He is a tremendous actor and character!

Getting a whole new set of writers and producers is just an exuse. Everz season: 2, 3 and 4 I would get my hopes up again and again. I hope this season is different but I dont know what to think. They let the fans down. I know more about Oz then Toby. Seriously in season 5 synopsis they said how this season will delve into Toby's past and how Tia will begin to investigate into his past and that will threaten to turn his world up side down. Ammm, thats not . I am utterly disappointed :(
  • What happened??

I was really excited after watching the first season and went straight to watch the second one. Well, now i've watched it and feel like the writers have betrayed me. All i can think of is how could they do this? Didn't they notice themselves how much better the first season was? I also don't like the fact that Toby isn't the main focus anymore, but instead the IIB is. HELLO, the show's name is Listener! If they want to change everything so much, then make another series because this is not the damn good show i got hooked on! Shame on you producers, shame on you.
  • It's time to cut the loss and pull the plug of The Listener

Each TV show has certain crucial elements for its success. An important storyline factor is the drama in these types of TV shows. when the story killed any chance of relation between Toby and Micheal, it killed the drama in the show. when you undermine one of the most important factors in your show, it is doomed to fail. so it would be just wise to cut the losses and pull the plug before its too late.
  • Season 5 premieres 26th May

According to ctv website 'The Listener returns with a new boss, new baby and new cast members May 26 on CTV'

'Season 5 has plenty of changes in store including the return of an old boss who will shake things up for Toby, and guest appearances by two 'MasterChef Canada' judges. '

• Great show, still on?

Since it's inception, I became a fan. (Season 1 sucked) After that, it was natural to participate in a larger agency.

I'm still confused though, if the show is returning, especially given the last episode where Toby is conflicted with his position within the Bureau and his recent "Officer involved" killing.

Really returning??
  • I listened, but couldn't hear

I was looking foreword to the premier of The Listener, but was very disappointed because the music and sound effects were so loud I couldn't hear the dialogue. Thumbs down on The Listener.
  • Great show but needs some direction!

I truly enjoy this series!! I'm not sure about season 3 as yet as i've not seen it but I think Lauren Lee Smith is doing a fine job! However, I must agree with what the others have commented, that it would be great to have a follow up on Toby's missing mother and also with the death of Dr Olivia Fawcet, who is going to follow up on TOby's impending head problem? Are you going to leave it at that. The show does seem to be gravitating towards a Cop and Who Done It kind of theme but I'm pretty fine with it however it seems like Toby's no longer the lead which wasn't the original intention I believe. Having said that, I do still look forward to the show. Hope season 3 & 4 won't disappoint!
  • Blonde has the worst wig ever

The blonde chick has the worst wig ever in season 4. The wig is so bad is is actually distracting. She finally goes with what I think is her own hair and a short haircut halfway through the season. I miss all the interesting ideas they started with, Toby's missing mom, his therapist, his lost brother, him being a paramedic, and also they had more mind reading, they hardly have any since season 2.. Now it is just another cop show. Oz and him are not even paramedics now. I still like the show though. It is one of those shows I put on when I am falling asleep.
  • New character is awful, get her OFF NOW

3.5
    The new female head of the unit is such a terrible actress I almost cannot watch the show anymore and I would normally rate this show as a 9. She adds nothing to story and she is a tremendously horrific actress. Please remove her from the show so that it can be watchable again.

And, Michelle's original hair color was much more flattering. It's now very distracting to watch her sometimes. I so wish actresses would let go of the need to be so blond. She is an ok actress but somehow (I know this is trivial, sorry) her hair how brings out some of her disjointed facial expressions more than it used to.

Let's please keep this show alive but get back to original story lines, get rid of the new female head of the unit and get Michelle's hair color back to flattering vs distracting!!! Quick, hurry, listen, or I fear this show isn't going to make it!!!
  • Anyone Listening

I wish the series had not developed paths and then dropped them. It seems like the powers that be were always trying to revamp the show. I would have liked to know what was going to be the outcome, if Toby would ever find out who his mother and sibling was and why the family was on the run, and from whom. Toby's mentor sort of dropped off the map, and it seemed at that time to be very important for his safety that no one knew his secret. Now, everybody knows, he isn't an EMT anymore and he's a consultant. The story line in season two was that the use of his telepathy was killing him. He resolved to continue even if it killed him, but here he is using his abilities with much more control and no physical ill effects. I wish the continuity was a whole lot better and while I do like the show and I keep watching hoping it gets better, I do not like this particular incarnation. I wish they had some way to resolve all the plot and story line holes before the series ends. The only character that has remained essentially the same has been Oz. It would take a deux ex machina to put all the pieces in some sensible order.
  • I agree with those who say it's Heading Downhill

The show started off great and caught my attention, but they've replaced some of the original chemistry with less than stellar support. And it seems they've lost a long-term sub-plot, focusing on a simple plot per episode.

I've try to watch, but I find myself so distracted by the poor acting of some, I miss the story and have to rewind to try to focus on that. Also, the actual listening seems more distorted and unclear. Maybe newer writers on new directors just aren't putting in the effort that the original ones did to make it a clean, clear, easy to follow story. There's something that's changed. Something wrong. Not exactly sure what it is and what caused it.

Plus, sorry to say but the acting of Lauren Lee Smith is terribly distracting. Her facial expressions never fit the scene or even what she's saying. It makes it seem like she's acting in a different scene or show. It's hard to follow the show, when her acting is so off. Over-trained? Definitely over-acting.

I really enjoyed this show when it first came out, but it's too frustrating to watch now and I've lost my desire to follow it. Times change, and I feel there are other choices for me to try, watch, or catch up on, in my limited TV time.

It's too bad. I really liked it when it started and looked forward to new episodes. Somewhere along the line they took a bad turn. Aren't there enough stupid COP shows? Get back on the ambulance and bring the show back to entertainment it gave us when it started.

I originally gave this a 9, but with the current supporting actors, the story line and the direction it's going, it's jumped the shark.

• Name of the song ?

I would be grateful if someone could tell me the name of the song at the end of the episode 13 of season 2 (bar scene). Thank you :)
  • Unique and Amazing

I love how they combine a unique and special power and watching him grow into acceptance. The biggest thing I am upset about is that they don't show this here in the states. I hope they keep making it and I hope that it continues to keep on at this level.
  • Show they started great and then went down hill

2.5
    Wow I'm so frustrated with the writers and producers. The show started out great with a fresh cast and then boom they start knocking characters out of the room. Lisa Marcos character was not only hot but she had that perfect relationship with the main character where they would you know flirt and what not and you would think in the future they would end up together but not because they weren't compatible . Also she had that tough exterior shell that could have become more interesting character development as the show went on. But no they write her and anthony lemke of and they don't even give you any explanation. then the show never answers any of the unanswered questions of season 1. And the show practically becomes a Canadian version of chuck with out the action and romance. Truly disappointed this was starting to become one of my all time favorite shows and then they pull this stunt. damn shame
  • Charlieeeeeeeeeee

I have started watching this show recently and just finished season one, started off with season 2 and it SEEMS that Charlie has been written this is so, it would be a great set back. I aint reading any reviews etc just to keep my suspense in place but just hope that the Director has plans to bring Charlie back
  • Show going from good to bad to worse!

This show is simply getting worse and worse. Into season 3 and the whole premise of the show set up in season 1 has simply disappeared. Its moved from a solid story in season 1 to a crime show in season 3. Such a disappointment! Every week a new crime and every week a quick solve and move on! Boring as! Has Toby forgotten his Dr Love? His mother? His stolen brother? All we are now treated with is a flimsy who-done-it each week. Where is the back story? Where is the character depth? We deserve more than this one dimensional storyline each week - return us to the reason we watched in the first place and that is SEASON 1!

We now have characters from the first season that have nothing to do with the events in each episode - spoiler alert - see episode 4 in S3 where Oz and the Dr spend the episode looking for a bracelet (rivetting stuff).

Come on writers - get back to basics. Stop making out that Toby is some crime fighting hero with a badge (he finally gets one out in S3 Ep4) and make him the take up the quest to find his past where ever that leads us. Anything will be better than the crap that we are dished up to each week in the latest season.
  • The Show Has Potential

The show has potential but I feel like the writers are wasted it like their unsure is to make this long term or short term in fear of being canceled. So it does mess with a lot of the continue of the stories between seasons and the progression of the episodes. In season 3 they would have to make a lot of changes to get on a direct story based path like it was in the beginning of season 1 after that the show was everywhere to the point it didn't link itself to season 1. But, what makes it good is the episodes and the coming back to keep watching more because most of the time the show is unpredictable.
  • toby logan is an paramedic who has the ability to read people minds.toby uses his gifts to help others.

i enjoy this show b/c i like the concept of the show. craig olejnik playing toby logan(main character)he does a great job. the show isnt dark and have this horror moments like medium.sure the show has its dark moments but it also has its light moments.the show is very well balanced with the dark stuff as well as with the light stuff.

i like how toby reacts to his gifts if he should used it or not to used it.i like the struggle toby goes through in the begining.which makes the show show seem very real.and when he accpets his gift we dont get to see him complain about it or not believe in it which is very nice to see on tv.

the show does have some great action in it as well every now and then.along with the good drama and the comedy thats in the show every now and then. the acting in the show is great.

my only problem is the writing of the show.the writing is average for this show.i feel like the writing can be alot better than what it is.the writing isnt where i want it to be b/c the writers will leave things unanswered and they just drop stroylines which suck.

overall its a good show

• Great show.

A very attractive (Jared Leto look alike) paramedic with a dubious past, tons of baggage and oh he's a telepath teams up with his overweight underachieving Turkish best friend (also a paramedic), an ER doctor and a very skeptical attractive female cop. Crime show with a "difference". At least he doesn't see ghosts!!! Very different from the CSI's thank heaven. Love the "twilight zone" edge. He is not superhero; a supercop; a spy or in fact, anything super! Just a ordinary guy who can hear voices. Does that qualify as super or not??? Canada has released some excellent shows lately. Great show.
  • If you are watching and do not like what you see in the first 2 episodes...keep watching it might surprise you!

I'm not sure is its the story, the cases, the place or the lovable lead character but the listener did it for me. I was lucky enough to live in Latin America and watch it before the North American audience and would do anything to have it back for a second season! Why? because is an entertaining show, with interesting scifi twist and human conflicts. Its not trying to be too deep just to make us watch and enjoy! The characters are great, they look and act like normal people with real relationships and conflicts. What I love the most is our "hero" who has these powers, does not know why and is trying to do good with them eventhough its not always the case, complicating his life just because he thinks he can make the difference and get to know more about himself in the process, he does not know how to fight and most of the time is put down by his contenders but he keeps trying to help and its obvious he enjoys the rush!! Each week a new case a new conflict and great chemistry between the cast!!
    Watch it people it will make a great show to spent a great time!!!
  • The Listener was a good international show that NBC picked up to show during the summer. Even though it was canceled before finishing the season...it was a very descent show that deserves attention for their failed try to make it big.

I had watched the beginning of the series on air but after about five or six episodes I discovered a better show, no disrespect intended, to watch...Killer Women. That show had me intrigued therefore I had the obligation to watch my missed episodes online. When I found out that the show was cancelled before actually airing the few remaining episodes...I wasn't at all surprised because I knew that I wasn't the only person watching Killer Women. To be completely honest I did get bored watching some of the episodes because I really didn't get them so I gave myself a day to finish the series without actually paying attention to it so I wrote this review. It is a good show but not good enough.
  • FAT PARKMAN from HEROES gets his own spin-off show... kind of... no not really. TOBY is a paramedic who also happens to be a telepath. His best friend is your typical chubby clumsy funny guy named Gus. Toby decides to use his ability to help

5.5
    It's mildly interesting only 'cause of the concept. A telepath who solves crime. Yeah, guess after introduction of Matt Parkman, the telepathic police officer in Heroes it wasn't really that hard to imagine a show based around that concept of a crime-fighter who has read the bad guy's mind.
    Only problem is, the hero here is a paramedic, not a police officer.
    This is where the show goes downhill. The writing and the overall episodic stories are not that bad, they are downright moronic.
    Now, what could be so bad you might ask. After all he's a telepath right? There must be lots of cool or funny stuff happen with him using his ability. Maybe like a uber cool Mentalist or Psych?
    You'd be wrong on all acounts. His 'power' probably gets used 3 times per episode at maximum. Yes, telepathic power that gets used only 3 times, nice isn't it?
    Then, we have all villains getting into convenient accidents near the end of the episodes to die because remember, our hero is a paramedic, so he can't actually fight the bad guys.
    Lastly, the show is just downright boring. After 20 mins you'll checking the clock to see when it'll be over. It is that slow.
    Can't even say it has that much potential 'cause lets be honest, in the end of the day, he's a paramedic. Not exactly screaming with wow factor.
    Personal vote... pass on it. There are plenty of similar shows that are 10 times better like MENTALIST, PSYCH, LIE TO ME.
  • A nice show but with poor cast and apparently weak budget too... don't get it high hopes

5.5
    Well i liked the story line its new and if they had worked it out correctly this show could have the strenght to run for a couple of seasons but unfortunatly with this weak cast and poor acting, I don't think this show will even complete a first season. The only known member in the cast and seems to know how to act (Colm Feore)!! Whats up with that. Yes the canadian tv is showing a great promise but canadian actors and Canadian city too ..... thats just to much. I have to admit i only saw the 1st episode and i will try to follow it
    for another episode or two, but still even so... i know it will be cancelled as long as the production company is NBC. The same will happen here as it happened with Journeyman and many other shows. We will just wait and see whats gonna happen !!!!

To those who likes the show to much sorry if i was so harsh
  • Truly terrible writing and horrible acting from everyone except Craig Olejnik.

This show suffers from terrible writing and abysmal acting from everyone except Craig Olejnik (Toby). The pilot's plot developments and characters were unoriginal and so overused. Toby's girlfriend is distrustful and needy, never fleshing out her character enough to show why Toby would even like her in the first place. The female detective assigned to the case asks none of the questions one would expect a competent detective to ask, but instead hassles Toby, treating him as suspect number 1 without, of course, following up on him as a suspect. Toby hits the kidnapper with a shovel, but doesn't follow up with another blow so of course the kidnapper is able to get up to chase Anna and Nicky again. The kidnapper lunges at them to push them off the cliff, but of course misses them and plunges off himself. REALLY? This is the most hackneyed writing I've seen in ages. NBC should be ashamed to be paying the writers for this junk. Hire some talented people.
  • This is a series based on an interesting concept about a man who finds he can hear others thoughts. His struggle to deal with this talent and his attempts to do the right thing is the basis of the conflict that drives the action.

The protagonist is a conflicted hero and is played well that way by the star. The supporting cast allows him to find assistance as well as express his internal struggles. The characters were a little weak at the start but the show finds its strengths as the episodes continue. The lead is not a superhero but more of an "everyman". It allows the viewer to sympathize with him and when you care about a character you are drawn into his world. This is one of this series most endearing qualities. Also, the actors were all finding their characters a better fit and interacted with each other better as the stories progressed. Unfortunately, this series was never well publicized so it had a hard time finding its audience, in a day when shows have very little time to develop and prove themselves.
  • A drama/crime show about a paramedic who can read minds. He helps solve crimes with his ability while also trying to unravel his past and keep suspicious detectives from figuring out his secret.

Despite having a slightly rocky start in the first episode or two as far as reviews and ratings go, this show has got me very interested. I've watched the entire first season and can't wait for the second. I really enjoy the chemistry and conversation between refreshingly in-depth characters, and the plots and subplots are always well-done. It's also nice to see a telepath who doesn't brag about his ability but keeps it a secret (partially for his own safety) and uses it to help other people, often at his own risk. I believe that if NBC will just give The Listener a chance it will really go somewhere.
ION